Northern Lights Out This AM

October 2nd, 2013 at 3:31 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

aurora ktuu   The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis have been visible this morning across much of the northern Lower 48 states and Canada.  As I write this around 3:30 AM, www.spaceweather.com reports the kp-index is at 6 (storm category).  They say:  “a Coronal Mass Ejection hit the Earth’s magnetic field on Oct. 2nd at approximately 10 PM EDT. The impact sparked a G2-class geomagnetic storm with auroras across Canada and several northern-tier US states.”  I can see a greenish glow across the northern horizon from where I am in southern Alpine Township.  Check out this picture and this picture from Alberta, Canada.  Here’s a picture from N. Dakota and a picture from Dunlap, IA.   Please leave a comment if you can see them.  Here’s where you can find the planets, the crescent moon in the early morning and some prominent stars.  Jupiter is high in the eastern sky in the early morning.  You can see the Intl. Space Station flyby at 5:26 am this morning.  Look to the  SE to ESE.   Picture from KTUU in Alaska.

9 Responses to “Northern Lights Out This AM”

1. Lynda Bart says:

Oh, Bill, I wish I could see them! I live surrounded by trees. I’ve seen the Northern Lights only once in my life and they are breathtaking!

2. Amy says:

Can you post a picture from where you are? We are close, but I do not see them. Please post a pic. Thank you.

3. Astute and Wise says:

No …Nothing as of 4 30 am.

4. HEAT WAVE says:

Not really that warm as they said it was going to be yesterday and today maybe Fall has won, my dog Travass is mad he love’s the heat …..If only we could have a heat wave…..

5. Elizabeth says:

I saw them around 1:00 and 2:00am, not super bright but it was really cool :D

6. Judy says:

I love seeing the northern lights but there is never a good prediction for them…I would have set my alarm to check them out if I would have known. I’ve seen some extremely bright northern lights in this area…one night (back around 1991), half the sky was rose pink and I couldn’t see any stars through it. About 8 years ago there were some great ones too, with green and pink. I have a lot of trees to the north of my house now so my view is very limited, but I think I would still be able to see something.

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

Best sight for predictions on the Northern Lights is

They always have links and probabilities for the Northern Lights.

7. Marti B (SE Grand Rapids) says:

I’m going to check them out tonight….missed them last evening. I live in the city, in an apartment complex, but might be able to catch a glimpse at least! ;)

8. Scott Z says:

Viewed a crystal clear sky, location 70 miles SW of Mackinaw City, 1am Weds Oct 3 . Looked like a sunrise was coming along the North horizon, and in 30 minutes the glow area spread and extended for a 90 degree angle up from the horizon with glow ripples and pulsing. The brilliant colors were missing, but the glow and light movements were great to watch. Don’t get to see it like this very often.