Severe Weather Possibilities – update

October 2nd, 2013 at 11:54 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

1630 UTC Day 1 Outlook 1630 UTC Day 2 Outlook 1630 UTC Day 3 Outlook        These are the Fri Night/Sat., and Sun., severe weather outlooks from the Storm Prediction Center.  The green areas on maps indicate general thunderstorm areas.  The yellow areas are Slight Risk Areas.   The Slight Risk for today (Sat.) includes western Muskegon, most of Ottawa, far SW Kent, SW Barry, far western sections of Calhoun and Branch Counties and all of Allegan, Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Berrien, Cass and St. Joseph Counties.  For Day 3, Saturday, SPC says:      “…THE OVERALL PRIMARY RISK SHOULD BE DAMAGING WINDS…ALTHOUGH SOME HAIL MAY BE POSSIBLE AS WELL. GIVEN RELATIVELY HIGH BOUNDARY LAYER MOISTURE CONTENT AND SUFFICIENTLY STRONG LOW LEVEL SHEAR/SRH…A TORNADO OR TWO MIGHT BE POSSIBLE AS WELL.

.”

Storm Team 8 will be tracking the system.  Check the blog for updates from me and the astute, knowledgeable commentators who fortunately for me occasionally lurk here in my little corner of cyberspace.

17 Responses to “Severe Weather Possibilities – update”

1. Jo Anne says:

Praying for you, Bill! Thanks for the update and keeping on eye on this. May God bless and protect you!….+….

2. Becky Flint-Fike says:

Interesting! Perhaps I should tuck my yard sale goodies away in my shed, rather than out in my yard, this weekend?

3. Astute and Wise says:

Yeah.

4. Brandi says:

When do you think we will get our first snowfall? Im ready for snowflakes and hot chocolate!

First flakes could come as early as late October. Hot chocolate…soon!

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

What hot chocolate soon? It’s year round sir :-)

5. kentwoodchicken says:

BWAAK! Numbering feathers ahead of time!

6. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

We are ready here on the northside of Hastings. Good weekend to stay home and play Gin-Rummy.

7. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Back on October 1st, 1974, Detroit enjoyed a light dusting of snow.

I continue to not see any temps below 32 all October long. It may get close a day or two late in the month. Odds are the month of October will finish with above average temps if for no other reason that this beginning warmth will be difficult to overcome.

Currently 66 degrees. My average high for this time of year.

I’ll bet you on the +/- 32 degrees for all of October and give you 10 to 1 odds. We can even use Flint instead of G.R.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

ha I already have one bet with Dan over whether we will see a hard freeze in the Oct 14-16 timeframe!

Models almost a month out aren’t as reliable.

You can bet your hockey stick it’ll get below freezing by Nov. 1.

8. Bill – or awesome contributors. Severe storms on Saturday AM-Evening? Major race with ~8000 runners at the Portage Invitational near Kzoo. Our Cross Country team is packing – last year we were surprised by rain and almost freezing temps. This year – we want to be better prepared! Will the rain hold off till evening, or morning?

Certainly a chance of showers (isolated t-shower not impossible). It won’t be cold…latest NAM model has temps. in the mid 60s, mostly cloudy with just a 30% chance of a shower for the early morning…mid 70s and a better chance of rain later in the afternoon.

I could go for…. ” Thunder Booms & Lightning Zooms ” !!!! Stay CUED!!!

10. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I never knew I was astute and knowledgable Bill! All of your expertise must be rubbing off on me :)