Snow and Ice

October 23rd, 2013 at 2:25 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

snowcover north america  snow cover asiacryo_compare (click on the images to enlarge)  The image on the left is snow cover in North America at daybreak Weds. AM. Note there are a couple pixels in N. Lower Michigan where there was a dusting (which melted during the day). There is a pretty solid snow cover North of Lake Superior, straight up to the Arctic. The weekend storm will add to that.  The second image is snow cover across Europe and Asia.  The third is a comparison of snow and ice on 10/20 in 2007 and 2013.  According to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the extent of the Arctic ice reached a minimum on Sept. 13th, when sea ice extent dropped to 5.10 million square kilometers (1.97 million square miles).  As the Arctic reached its minimum extent for the year, Antarctic sea ice was reaching record high levels, culminating in a Southern Hemisphere winter maximum extent of 19.47 million square kilometers (7.52 million square miles) on September 22. The September 2013 monthly average was also a record high, at 19.77 million square kilometers (7.63 million square miles) slightly higher than the previous record in 2012.  Antarctic ice extent is now more than 2 standard deviations from the satellite era average, while ArHctic ice extent is close to the average for the 2000s.  Here’s the average annual temperature at the South Pole since the 1950s.   Here’s a video of the Southern Lights at the S. Pole.   Here’s a link to the weather in Vostok, Antarctica, the coldest place on Earth.

19 Responses to “Snow and Ice”

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! INDYY!!!

Six feet of snow
      Coming through my radio
      It’s raining in stilettos
      From here clear down to Mexico

My hands are numb
      From hanging on that steering wheel
      They’re frozen tight
      Hope the wind don’t blow me off the road tonight

Don’t you know the ice and snow
      Is sneaking in through my window
      Don’t you know how much I hate to be so cold
      And so alone
      I’m coming home

If it wasn’t for the lines that wind side by side
      I’d be lying next to her
      Next to her tonight

Sweet New Orleans
      That’s where my girl, she waits for me
      Hair so long and eyes so green
      She’s the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen

Don’t you know the ice and snow
      Is sneaking through this boy’s window
      Don’t you know how much I hate to be so cold
      And so alone
      I’m coming home

If it wasn’t for the lines that wind side by side
      I’d be lying next to her
      Next to her tonight

2. Cliff(Scotts) says:

Snowing good in Scotts, melts instantly when it hits the ground. It was 45 earlier with a ice pellet mix and now it’s down to 37!

Bill are you sure There is a pretty solid snow cover North of Lake Superior, straight up to the Gulf of Mexico????
    Slimjim

You caught it too :)

Fixed, thanks – can’t do 2 things at once.

76 degrees below zero in Vostok, Antarctica! Now that is cold – even that is too cold for me. Give me temps in the teens with fresh snow all winter long baby! Bring on the COLD and SNOW!!

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Have no fear, Travis says it will be in the 80′s there next week.

There is officially the first snow/sleet falling outside my window in A2 right now. A big moment every year ;) Thank you for sending it over West Michigan.

The new 6 to 14 day CPC temp outlook still has in the below average temperatures! Who knew! There is one dot on the map near Flint, MI that shows above average temperatures! It will probably be 65 degrees in Flint and 45 degrees everywhere else. Amazing weather!

7. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Snow mixed with rain here!!

8. Cliff(Scotts) says:

Surprised we aren’t hearing anything about this hurricane season being a bust, I know there has been a couple tropical storms. This would be the the first time without a hurricane since 1994. Just goes to show predictions mean nothing, Mother Nature always has the last laugh.

1. SBPortage002 says:

Remember the good ole days when hurricanes forming off Africa actually made it all the way here and made landfall? Now, the last several years, they dissipate or safely recurve away. I have a hard time believing a hurricane will ever make landfall on U..S shores again.

Exactly. They will predict an above average tropical season again next year, but based on what?

1. SBPortage002 says:

No idea, but next year they should forecast a low hurricane season. That way it won’t be an epic fail. Besides, we all know it will be the same way next season.

2. michael g (SE GR) says:

I liked the fact that they came out 5 or 6 weeks ago and said we were still on track for an above average season.

I guess if by “on track” they meant well below average for that point in the season, then they were right.

Two years in a row of complete bombs… Fire them all. Hire Cort S!

9. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Just had a very heavy burst of snow/sleet here. Dusting on colder surfaces…

10. Lisa (Caledonia) says:

I saw my first snowflakes of the season around 3 pm in Wyoming, MI. I was in Wayland this evening around 6 and it was snowing quite hard, very wet heavy snowflakes.