More rain/snow showers

October 24th, 2013 at 12:53 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

snow kramer aliana oct. 2013   snow fennvillefall colors Hutchins Lake Jack Martin Click on the pictures to enlarge.  On the left, pictures from the same spot in S. Ottawa Co. taken yesterday and this morning by Alaina Kamer.  The pictures in the middle and on the right are from Jack Martin.  The middle pictures shows 2″ of snow on the ground in Fennville and the picture on the right is fall colors at Hutchins Lake.  We continue to get rain and snow showers, most of them in the lakeshore counties.  Temperatures are well above freezing, so roads will be wet at times.  Tonight, as temperatures cool, we might once again see some light accumulations, and perhaps some isolated slick spots on the roads.  There are still about a dozen small power outages.  Allegan Co. has the most outages as I write this shortly after noon.   Snowfall reports included 3″ in Covert and 1-2″ in Hamilton, Holland, Oshtemo and an inch near Grand Haven.    Also, tropical cyclones Lekima and Francisco (will miss Japan) in the western Pacific.   Here’s Long Lake Park.

54 Responses to “More rain/snow showers”

Wow been a long time since we have had winter before Halloween in West Michigan……….INDYY

2. Sandy (Hudsonville) says:

Snow looked lovely on the spruce trees & rooftops this morning. Beautiful!! The flakes falling last night were huge.

3. SW Kent says:

First big flakes of the year falling in Byron Center.

Yikes.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
    925 AM EDT THU OCT 24 2013

…TIME… …EVENT… …CITY LOCATION… …LAT.LON…
    …DATE… ….MAG…. ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. …SOURCE….
    ..REMARKS..

0802 AM SNOW 4 WSW COVERT 42.26N 86.33W
    10/24/2013 E3.0 INCH VAN BUREN MI COUNTY OFFICIAL

I-196 WAS SNOW COVERED. MULTIPLE SLIDE OFFS
    NEAR MILE MARKER 10. RELAYED BY WWMT.

Getting a good shot of sleet here now on the NW side of GR.

6. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Well it is snowing out :) :)

Accumulating SNOW in SW Lower MI! I love it! Keep it coming and get ready to get hammered this winter! GR is headed for at least 107 inches of snowfall this season! ROCK n ROLL will never die!!

Yooo ROCKY….. Have a ” THERAPUTIC THURSDAY”….. Check IT OUT…. CUE:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo0Q3BvPBd8. Lol…. NURSE Oh NURSE …. Stay CUED…… ;-)

Fantastic!

Did it hit 60 degrees in Flint this week?

Awesome PICS. Again Mr. Jack Martin ! Thanks for Sharing & God Bless YOU, and Stay CUED…….. ;-)

10. fred says:

scary drive this morning and early afternoon from saugatuck to sawyer…..ya hit m-40 exit off I-96 and the world changes…….

11. SBPortage002 says:

Portage…no snow at all on the ground early this morning. Travel good. Had a shower a bit ago, now seeing some sun in and out.

Getting bombed by sleet! My deck is white….LOL!!! Roads are going to be slick until this melts…..

Awesome!

13. JACK MARTIN ( Fennville) says:

Thanks Bill. What a change in scenery it has been here! Still snowing pretty good here in Fennville.

14. The wind definantly isnt a good setup for snow in my area. Getting a few flakes here and there at times but not much. Had a light dusting this morning mainlly on the roof and on cars. Can’t wait for the REAL winter conditions to arrive!!

This is just a little warm up to winter. In about 6 weeks we will be getting hit with our first major synoptic SNOWSTORM and it won’t stop till April! Bring it on!

15. Mike (Mattawan) says:

Radar says rain: its been snowing here for an hour and a half now. Ground is white and roads are slushy. Power keeping blinking off for a few seconds here in downtown mattawan.

1. SBPortage002 says:

Such is the nature of lake effect. Quiet and snow free here in Portage.

I am not sure how long its going to stay but its clear here now and 37° if it stays clear have a good shot at having the coldest night of this fall so far. Has a some sleet here today but I did not see any snow at all.
    slimjim

17. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

We had .56″ of precip today (snow, sleet, rain). Most of it was frozen…at most we had 2″ on the ground, but now less than an inch left. A few miles from here, the ground was still completely covered…while a mile north of that, nothing.

18. kevin. w says:

Kinda likin’ what the typhoon is doing out there in the pacific as some models are now hinting at a couple potent storms coming next week and the following. Starting to see some real signs of the Arctic, Yukon and the Northwest Territories gettin really cold now. Even though the AO/NAO are positive guessing that they will start going negative with typhoon and realignment of the northern hemispheric pattern as models are showing some subtle changes coming. Will see but we’ve got some players on the table the next few weeks.

1. We talking snow storms or rain storms?

It is clear as clear can be over on this side of the state. The temp is already 34 at my house and should drop like a rock from there.

20. Wow! heavy heavy snow in the Gobles, Bloomingdale area. Snow covered roads, slushy main roads, alot of trees and wires down. Avoid that area. Just drove back from there

21. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We had a cold cloudy day here. The high temp only made 41.0° at my house.

Bill Just had a Coyote run across our street down into My YARDofBRICKS way cool never saw one so close!!INDYY

I’ve seen coyotes twice in the orchard across the street and once on Bristol NW. At first I thought they were dogs.

That what I thought at first it was a dog !!!! But way cool !!! INDYY

1. Mike (Mattawan) says:

Yeah I almost hit one with my truck near my home when it darted across the street a couple years ago. Sure startled me! It must have been chasing something cause it was booking it… Back legs kicking up a bunch of snow… I probably hear ‘em at least once a week after they caught their prey.

23. michael g (SE GR) says:

+2.8* month to date.

Detroit is at +2.0° to date.

24. michael g (SE GR) says:

34* here now, but it was down to 31* overnight. First freeze of the season here.

I had 30° earlier here and I had 31° here before dawn on Wednesday as far as I can tell the AP has not hit 32 yet.

25. Mike (Mattawan) says:

We have over an inch of snow here on the ground, roads are wet but not slick (still be cautious at temps are flirting with freezing). I woke up with no power on mattawans east side and knew why right when I went outside as all the trees and plants are weighed down a lot by the extremely wet snow we got overnight. It will probably all be gone by this evening. :D

26. kevin. w says:

The Gem model has quite the storm next week as does the GFS and does a few other models but all are not insyc which is typical this time year. Here is the GEM : http://meteocentre.com/models/get_anim.php?mod=gemglb&run=00&stn=PNMPR&map=na&lang=en

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Lots of rain coming next week

27. Dan says:

How does the weather look for the weekend of November 1, 2 and 3? We have a soccer tournament in the Allegan area that we will be playing in.
    Cold and snow showers or a bit milder? I would take temps in the 50s with some sun!

28. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Looks like the pattern block is slowly lifting towards a milder, wetter pattern. CPC has us back to average temps for the next 2 weeks now – with the warmth still up in Alaska and northern Canada.

I have yet to see any snowflakes here. Did get that weird sleet/rain for a little while on Tuesday.

We haven’t had much in the way of precip here either. I’ve had to scrape the heck out my windows the past two morns, though.

Lots of rain coming! Halloween may be a wash out. This is rain leading up to November 1 (from the GFS).

Also, the 6z GFS has the cold back by November 3. Just a few days of slightly above average to normal. We will see though.

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Yeah the Euro is also hinting at another shot of cold air behind next week’s big storm passing to our northwest. Lot’s of cold air just north of the Canadian border for sure. On a side note, we finally had our 1st freeze this morning here, down to 29 degrees. Weird that we would see our 1st snow come before our 1st subfreezing night.

It is even crazier that GR finally made it on the morning Freeze Warnings extend almost all the way to Florida :)

3. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Correction, 30 degrees…. we never had a freeze or frost advisory here this season, but since many areas further away from the lake did, I take it the NWS has discontinued them already until next spring.

I had a low of 30° here with the most frost I have seen this fall. The clouds came in and he temp went up to 34° The clouds are now breaking up and the sun is now out and the temp here is still 34°
    As far as I can tell the airport still has not reached 32° or below so officially GR still has not had a freeze.

Grand Rapids touched 31° last night, so the official freeze was this morning I believe. Unless there is a mistake on the observation 6 hour minimum.

That should be right. We had some clearing here and I was down to 30° then the clouds came back in and the temp went up to 33°
        thanks I did not see that before.

It is weird when the hour minimums are 2° above what the actual low was for 10 minutes or so. I almost missed it also.

30. Dan says:

Past couple of mornings we have received decent snow shower activity. Some areas, not my area, were reporting a couple of inches of snow that fell.
    There was a couple of times during the early part of the evening on Wednesday where it snowed pretty hard for a few minutes. Ground was too warm for it to stick. Similar situation happened on Thursday morning! Official or not official first snow fall of the season?

31. Dan says:

A White Halloween and a White Thanksgiving? Does it get milder with rain?
    We had such great weather through the end of September and into mid October!

How about a WHITE Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, New Years Day, Presidents Day and April Fools Day!!!!!