Rain, Chance of Thunder

October 24th, 2013 at 4:16 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  6:55 pm  Rain is moving into SW Michigan with thundershowers in Berrien, S. Van Buren and NW Cass Counties.  Most of this will be steady light to moderate rain.  Rainfall amounts in many areas will be over an inch from tonight thru Saturday.  Temperatures stay warm tonight and tomorrow, with cooler air moving in Thursday night and Friday.  Winds will increase from the south tomorrow, then shift to the WSW as a cold front passes Thursday late evening.  Winds could gust to 40 mph along and behind the front.  A Gale Watch has been issued for Lake Michigan for wind gusts to 45 mph and waves as high as 10 feet over the open water.     Dry and about 50 degrees for the World Series Game in Boston this evening.

For Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s WOOD-TV looping Radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan.

28 Responses to “Rain, Chance of Thunder”

1. bluegill says:

We have a couple inches on the ground since yesterday in NE Grand Traverse County – my son was sledding. Go two miles west toward Grand Traverse Bay and there is no snow on the ground, though a little on the roof tops. Zero snow in Traverse City.

2. Dan says:

WOW! It snowed last night, at times it came down pretty good. Snowed again this morning! Could you imagine if it was about 10-15 degrees cooler? The snow would’ve stuck! Does this go down in the books as the “first official snowfall” of the season? My memory is a bit fuzzy, does this go down as an EARLY snowfall?

3. Craig (Holland North Sider) says:

On the North side of Holland the grass is completely covered and it is still snowing. I brushed at least 2 inches off my car this morning. Sure was a shock to see that much snow this early in the season.

4. John (Holland) says:

This morning I awoke to the sound of cracking limbs from the neighbor’s tree, and found 2 or 3 inches of snow on my car.

There is a tiny layer of snow on roofs this morning in the A2.

Saturday is looking crazy windy, say goodbye to the leaves that aren’t still green ;)

I my neck of the woods there are still a lot of leaves on the trees many of are still green.

6. Travis (Oakland County) says:

October 9th, 1989: GR hits 23 degrees

October 10th, 1906: 4-8″ from Ludington to South Haven

October 12th, 2006: up to 8″ snowfall in southwest lower Michigan

October 18th, 1972: 4.8″ snow reported at Muskegon

October 18th, 1976: GR records a temp of 19 degrees

October 19th, 1989: 4-5″ snowfall across Lower Michigan

October 26th, 1869: 5.5″ snowfall reported at Lansing with a high temp of 34 degrees

October 27th, 1967: 8.4″ snowfall reported in GR

As of October 24 Grand Rapids has not reached 32° yet at the airport.

Good stuff, thanks Travis. Just goes to show that you never know what you’re going to get this time of year.

Compliments from me for actually posting some cold stats.

The road and driveway were wet when I got up. And I did have a low of 31 once again here at my house. And I am now up to 34° I did not see if there was snow or rain that fell here but there is no snow on the car we leave outside and none of the roofs around here have any sign of sown on them I would say it was just rain for the most part. I did see some light snow yesterday when I went for my walk.
    On a side note the airport still had not gotten down to 32° yet so officially GR still has not had a freeze!!!
    And once again there are still a lot of leaves on the trees in our area for this late in October.

September 17, 2013: Flint hit 32°

Last season’s GR snowfall was up over 66% from 50 year ago.

The book. :)

Bill it’s great read how some one is so obsessed with our city’s weather INDY would be to I lived across the state!!! Still no 60′s Friday and our mid week cool down keeps going and going have a great thirsty Thursday !!!!! 31* out thee YARDofBRICKS that’s 6 below normal days in roll for thee Westside of MICHIGAN….”No Bull just facts” ………..INDYY

10. yooper4021 says:

October 14th, 1897 – 89 degrees in GR (record high for Oct)

October 15th, 1899 – 86 degrees in Muskegon (record high for Oct)

October 22nd-26th, 1963 – 5 consecutive 80+ degree days in Lansing

October 21st, 1979 – 72 degrees in GR (record high minimum for Oct)

October 24th, 2012 – 77 degrees in GR (one year ago today)

And my favorite….

Halloween 1950 – record highs of 79 and 77 in GR and Lansing

11. Dan (Holland) says:

MANY tree limbs down in the Holland Heights area. Around 2 inches of snow on the ground.

12. Nick (West Olive/Grand Haven) says:

This morning around 9:30am. We got a little snow. Roads are jut fine but everything else has a bit!

We had to wait until February to get that kind of lake effect last year :) Nice!

13. Sprites(Holland) says:

Moderate to heavy snow in downtown Holland. Looks like a solid inch fell last night!

Bill, categorize this post under Bill’s Blog and Weather so everyone comments in this thread.

15. Michael (Berrien county) says:

I’d say close to an inch on the car & roof tops this morning here in southern Berrien… just a dusting on the ground though, as the ground temps are quite warm still…. hopefully more coming tonight though as the temps are supposed to be a lil’ colder…. low 30′s instead of mid to upper 30′s like last night.

16. Brent - Zeeland says:

Just shy of 3″ snow on the ground at 6:00am. Consumers energy did a great job of butchering the trees by me this summer, so it would cut down on power outages. Nice work – my power still went out at 2:30 am and didn’t come back on until 9:45 this morning.

17. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I woke up to 1.1″ of snow here. There was 2-3″ of snow 4 miles west of my house.

I think I found the place with the most snow in northern lower Michigan. This pic was taken just off of M-72 in the Kalkaska/Grayling/Mio area. Looks to be at least 6″ in this pic.

18. Yvonne (Caledonia) says:

wow lots of small snow pellets (grapple) coming down here in Caledonia!

19. Mike M. says:

That’s not the most expensive home in Michigan. Here’s a much nicer property for only $18.9 million right over in Holland…

That’s about 18.7 million out of my budget.

20. Kimoeagle says:

Looks like the ‘ol lake effect is showing up in my old home town of Ashtabula: 4.5″ the other day. Ahyes.That’s where I learned how to drive in snow! ;-)