Weekend Weather

October 26th, 2013 at 2:21 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   Boy, the wind was howling overnight.  There was a Wind Advisory for the lakeshore counties.  PEAK WAVE HEIGHT OF 17.5 FT MEASURED AT 0230AM.

Some peak gusts:  Beaver Island 56 mph, Muskegon Airport and Naubinway 53 mph, North Lake Michigan buoy 51 mph, Muskegon beach 49 mph, Holland Regional Airport 48 mph, Cadillac 47 mph, Manistee 47 mph, 45 mph in Comstock Park.   Here’s the Consumers Energy Outage Map.  As I write this, there are 10 relatively small outages, probably all wind related.  Note – another big windy storm (deep low pressure center) brings very windy conditions to the Great Lakes and Michigan for 10/30-31.  On Halloween, the 31st, the GFS has a steady wind of 29 mph at 2 PM with gusts probably at +40 mph.   With a few scattered showers possible as a front moves through, I’ll leave radar at the top of the blog.   The overnight NAM model printed out 0.12″ for Grand Rapids (mainly AM) and the GFS has 0.10″.    with a strong SSW wind.  It also has a chance of rain from late Tues. to early Fri.  Note this from the Storm Prediction Center:  “AN ACTIVE/MULTI-DAY SEVERE RISK WILL BE A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY FOR AT LEAST PARTS OF THE SOUTH-CENTRAL CONUS ESPECIALLY AROUND DAYS 5-6 TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY.”    Another big storm system will bring strong to damaging wind to NW Europe.  Looks like +50 mph wind gusts for England and the Normandy Coast.   7.3 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Japan.     Snowiest October in the Northern Hemisphere since 1977 might mean a cold, snowy winter!

For Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s WOOD-TV looping Radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan.

56 Responses to “Weekend Weather”

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Really haven’t heard much wind here until about 20 minutes ago. It’s been very consistent since then. I’m guessing a few 40 maybe even 40+ have cruised by here in the last few minutes.

2. Ray says:

The winds speeds are approaching 50mph here in Wyoming by 28th and Burlingame.

3. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

And we’re at a balmy 50 degrees at 4:45. Nice.

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

I see you use a Davis weather station. I have a Davis Vantage Vue. Everything works great, but it seems like the wind does not register correctly. For example, I live 2 miles from the lake, and it shows my high wind gust of 30mph. It is stationed about 7-8 feet above the ground, so perhaps that is not high enough. Can you tell me high you have yours and if you have had any issues?

1. Mike (Shepherd, MI) says:

Ya that is too low. I have mine mounted at about 30 feet with no trees or other obstructions anywhere near it. I think most official stations are 10 meters which is about 32 feet. My wind speeds always seem very accurate to other nearby official stations.

4. Bill Olson (Marysville) says:

Colder here in Georgia than Toivola? 26 here, 38 there in Toivola. Brrr! But close to 80 later next week.

Once the rain clears out I may head to the golf course. It should be fun day on the course with all that wind! It could be very interesting!

I was asleep and missed the wind last night. But my guess is the wind here was close to what Bill had. I will go for a walk later today but from my window I can say it looks like most of the trees here still have most of their leaves on them and I see no wind damage. ‘The temp did reach 50° here and its now down to 45°.
    Several days ago there were some comments as to not seeing snow before Halloween (it has snowed several times in recent years here before Halloween) but today’s outlook for Halloween calls for a chance of thunderstorms here is one for you….how many times has Grand Rapids had a thunderstorm on Halloween??

7. kevin. w says:

Based on recent model guidance over the past 24 hours we could be looking at a pretty potent storm for the end of the week as northern hemispheric pattern goes under some significant realignment. With an over active typhoon season out in the pacific and an above average snowpack over Asia/Europe could be lookin at good jet track cutting across somewhere in the United States. By looking at the models/teleconnections(gfs,canadian,gem,euro-AO/NAO/PNA)I THINK (my thoughts ok) we may be looking at some storminess coming out of the southwest instead of what we’ve been in out of the northwest. This is just my analogy of what I know but looking at the whole northern hemisphere and November approaching we could some good size storms. :) :)

It would be fantastic if one one these storms was a SNOWSTORM!!

2. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

I heard that the Great Lakes sea captains hate the month of November because of the storms and high winds. Kevin.w has been saying right along that the month of November will be a stormy and nasty month.

They are sometimes called the gales of November. Such as November 10, in both 1975 and 1998. November 11th 1940 . Are three examples. Time will tell if we have a similar storm this year or maybe last night was the storm for this year.

8. Travis (Oakland County) says:

64 degrees on Halloween? So much for mid 30′s ha Looks like a soaker though.

We will have to wait and see if it gets into the 60’s but then maybe thunder as well. Still looking to see when was the last time GR (or any where else in Michigan) had a thunderstorm on Halloween?

Says you? Pretty bold forecast, but I admire your spirit.

At this point, the NWS is only forcasting average temps, nowhere near 60s.

Woodtv says 64… :)

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Umm forecasted by WOOD

Umm is there an echo in here?

It helps when sources are cited. Credibility is terribly underrated.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

LOL Nowhere near 60′s? Don’t quit your day job. It helps when you look at things before snidely commenting on every one of my posts.

GR will not be seeing any temperatures above 60 degrees the rest of this year. Travis and his warm weather hype just keeps rolling along in fantasy land. Keep “global cooling” in the mix baby!

It is true it is like crying wolf

At the time I posted that , the NWS’ forecasted high for Halloween – GR 55, Flint 53.

Swing and a miss….

4. Jerry hoag says:

On Halloween it will be in the Mid 60′s if not higher!!! Also, a thunderboomer!! Extremly windy this day too!!! Be ready for it!!!

GR will not get over 60 degrees the rest of this year! Keep the “global cool down” rolling! We will be getting hammered this winter!!

10. Stephen(NorthMuskegon) says:

Think you missed a peak gust bill:
    0235 AM NON-TSTM WND GST 5 WNW MUSKEGON 43.24N 86.34W
    10/26/2013 M60.00 MPH MUSKEGON MI OTHER FEDERAL

11. jerry hoag says:

Hey I am hoping this weekend storm that is coming will be a HUGE dynamic STORM!!!! October out like a LION and November in like a LION!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOO Mother Nature bring it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. jerry hoag says:

Oh and also, thanks all who wished me a Happy Anniversary this past weekend on the 20th!!!!!! Many thanks!!! GOD bless all of you, my wife and I enjoyed a great 19th year Anniversary!!!!!

I just watched the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam – and watched a couple of people WALK OUT ONTO THE N PIER. The one with the waves washing over it…. despite all the news about people drowning when they were washed off their pier; and all the warning signs, they still do it. Sheeesh…. Darwin Award candidates.

14. kentwoodchicken says:

BWWAAAAK! No storms on Halloween, the chickens’ fave holiday! That would be terrible! All of my festive decorations would be twirlin’ down the street! Cluckity-cluck-cluck!

Boy you are one strange BIRD!

2. Jerry hoag says:

Would give it an AWESOME halloween feeling!!! Ghost floating, or should I say flying in the air!! Myabe even some witches on brooms and flying monkeys!!!! Maybe even Auntie Em!!!

15. Dan says:

Wow, winds really howled this morning or was that the wolves? howling near halloween! Looks we go back to temps in the mid 50s. Average for this time year. Does look like a deluge coming up later this week?

16. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Just hailed out here

17. Anyone remember the morning of October 26, 2010? We had a Tornado watch in effect and many tornado warning were issued for West Michigan. Schools closed because of the tornado watch. That was defiantly a cool and fun day!!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yea, our school made us go into the back room for two whole hours because of that!

18. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Nice hail for 5 minutes here

We got that an hour ago. Pretty big gusts too.

1. kevin. w says:

Freezing level pretty low so small hail very easy to produce.

10/26/1869
    Several inches of snow pile up across southwest Lower Michigan. The 5.5 inches at Lansing is a record for early season snowfall and the high temperature there only reaches 34 degrees.

20. kevin. w says:

Ok Bill your going to have to get your blog up on the coming storms the next few weeks. I looked at the all the models and your going to have to take it from there as its going to get interesting.

1. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

I am sure about Monday we will get a better picture what these storms will do. It’s Michigan weather for sure. Kevin.w I enjoy your comments.

1. kevin. w says:

Another storm to follow the first week of November and notice a big arctic surge across the Yukon possibly being pulled down around the 8th. What I’m seeing now as possible game changer with a storm out over Asia that may develop another significant storm down wind over the central/eastern U.S. I really like the GEM/JMA/Canadian long range models out across the globe gives me a good idea of what to look for in our weather out about 10-12 days. Gfs does ok but gets quite muddled around 10 days, just can’t pick up on weather very good over the western pacific. I sure wish our government would spend some money on better technology than relying on other countries computer models. Oh well talk to ya later Sunday after some football.

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Can’t waste money on that, with all the good welfare programs to be funded!

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Entitlement nation is what we have become micheal g. Its disturbing to say the least.

21. Jeff says:

I was out today enjoying the view of big waves at the Grand Haven pier (from the shore). There were people walking to the end of the pier, which I don’t believe was very safe to do. Here’s a link to photos I took of a couple of the bigger waves hitting the lighthouse: http://photonatureblog.com/2013/10/26/power-of-the-lake/

1. ~Sherry~ Comstock Park says:

Beautiful pics!!

” POWERFUL” PICS. Jeff ! Thanks for Sharing !

3. Rad ( Jenison / Hudsonville ) says:

Nice! Pic’s, Thanks for sharing.

4. michael g (SE GR) says:

Great pics Jeff! Wish the biggest waves from last night had been today in the daylight so we could have seen them.

22. mr. negative says:

Breezy night – found the grill blown off the porch, laying on its side in the yard. Repairs appear necessary.

When Does Daylight Savings Time 2013 End In The USA? Don’t Forget To ‘Fall Back’ One Hour On Sunday Nov. 3rd
    Stay CUED… For a EXTRA HR. Of Sleep !!!! ;)

First Sun in November!

24. Cort S. says:

Very interesting to watch.
    Meteorological Memories of 2013.

Thanks, Cort…I added the link to the blog thread.