Lake-Effect Snow Showers This (Tues.)

November 11th, 2013 at 12:50 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   3:40 am – Skies cleared in inland areas overnight.  I came home to find (the constellation) Orion high overhead as I carried 7 leaf bags out to the curb for pick-up.   The main snow band runs from Mason and Oceana Counties (catching Whitehall/Montague) to offshore of Muskegon and Holland to back onshore near Benton Harbor.  The overall dry airmass and lack of cyclonic curvature will limit snowfall amounts.  Temperatures will bottom out aloft around midday and then start to rise, minimizing the temp. difference between the water and the air by tonight.  As the wind turns more to the west, the band will move east onshore, but it should weaken as the afternoon goes on.  Today (Tue.) will be the coldest day of the week with afternoon temps. in the mid 30s.   It’ll be breey Weds. and Thursday…each day we’ll be a few degrees warmer than the day before.  (watch the surface map to see the coldest daytime temps. of the season so far)  Some areas of Oceana, Mason and Berrien Co. could see several inches accumulation through the morning hours.  The snow won’t last long, as temperatures moderate this week.    Check out the snow and any accumulating snow during the day on the our list of Michigan webcams.  Watch Storm Team 8 for the latest…we’ll have team coverage on DAYBREAK from 4:30 t0 7 am on WOOD, TV-8.

The overnight European model has next Monday as the warmest day, with a high near 60 – 24 hours later it’s 35 and temperatures stay below freeing a week from Weds.  The Euro. also prints out some hefty rain totals with the system next week…a total of 1.76″ from Saturday evening thru Monday.

Incredible pictures of the damage of Typhoon Haiyan.  More pics. here.  Look at this picture.  Every tree down, every house flattened.  Not much left here.    A tropical storm has also killed over 100 in Somalia in East Africa.  Paris, France picked up 3.51″ of rain in the first ten days of Nov.  That’s more than the average rainfall of Sept. and Oct. combined.

For Michigan weather observations and wind speeds, click here. Here’s WOOD-TV looping Radar. Check out regional radar, GRR radar, northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the WOOD lightning tracker and U.S. lightning, the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures. Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan.

136 Responses to “Lake-Effect Snow Showers This (Tues.)”

1. spoon says:

Looking forward to the 60 degree temperatures this week. No snow in sight after tomorrow.

1. CORRECTION: Long range has snow on both November 19 and 20 with highs in the upper thirtys and lows in the low to mid twenty’s.

No 60s in Michigan this week. Sorry.

1. Yo mark November 19 and 20 is next week. Sorry to you. I already know warmer temperatures this week

1. Srry I mean spoon. Meant for comment below

2. Snow and cold Next week. Winter is coming fast!! Say goodbye to the 60s or even upper 50s here soon

2. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

That strong lake effect band is really hugging the shore. Just a few miles more, and I would be getting nailed. Looks like just south of South Haven is getting hit pretty hard.

3. spoon says:

We will not get snow next week. If you want to know the correct forcast just ask travis.

4. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Wow, the central U.P. is getting hammered with heavy lake effect! Also, it looks like Berrien County is about to get some healthy snow very soon.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Channel 13 sure thinks it’s going to be cold on the 20th and 21st. They are forecasting highs of 29° and 26° for those days.

1. I’m seeing the same as well as on intellicast. Wonder if we can crank up the lake effect snow machine by then!!

5. Jerry hoag says:

Hey, I heard from a Great source that around Thanksgiving week to Look for a huge storm!! Lots of snow, wind and cold!!! Get ready everyone!!! Right INDY!!!??????

Jerry …..JEM Model has been Calling for Significant SNOW on The Last Week of November , For about a month and half !! Stay CUED…… Jerry H……. ;-) . God Bless ;-)

6. spoon says:

Storm will pass south of michigan

Spoon…… CUE, CREAM :::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgF4wv0WpM. Crank it UP !!!

7. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

It’s a toasty 23.9 degrees outside here now. Coldest night so far. More toasty sitting next to my wood stove inside. Nice and clear with a full sky of stars. Still have a tad bit of snow on the ground from yesterday. I hope the big snow holds off for 4 more weeks.

8. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Vincent, it looks like I have you beat in the temperature department. I’m sitting at 20.8 degrees on the northeast side of Rockford. As for snow, there was light snow from about 12:30 to 4:00, but amounted to only a very light dusting in only certain areas. My yard is virtually snow free, but it sure is cold!

9. Click This Link to see a quick cell phone snap from yesterday of the snow in Greenville, MI from my facebook page facebook.com/CharlesRussellSP

1. Oh, and also, Here is a cool image of the low pressures in the east Pacific taken from the GOES West, yesterday. It looks like Earth is smiling for the camera!

Chilly walk with the dog this morning. 22 here now – 12 degrees below the average low.

Update: 20 now. Dog doesn’t want to go out. Wuss.

Bill 22* out at thee YARDofB RICKS can’t ever remember it being so cold in Novi winter is here with a kick…Time to put another log on the fire!!! INDYY..

Just last year on November 14 the low (at he airport) was 23°

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

He doesn’t seem to have much of a memory. This is however one of the latest first freezes I can remember, as well as the latest I’ve seen leaves still on the trees.

u can see???? WOW!!! INDYY

12. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Just a dusting over here. Here are the updated totals now that it’s stopped:

Almost exactly the same totals and date as last year. Will the repeating trend continue?

R.I.P. Tomato plant. Yes I knew it was coming but it still was quite the shock but late yesterday afternoon some time my last tomato plant finally passed on. Hypothermia seems to be the cause of death. With clear skies I had a low of 22° here last night and now with sun and a few clouds it now up to 26° I should also note that the two trees that still had a lot of their leaves on them are now losing their leaves at a very rapid pace. So now with the first hard freeze past us we can now slowly fall into winter. But what kind of winter will we have ???? Some blogers seem to want to think it will be a cold and snowy one (not sure why they think that) until proven other wise my take is to go with the averages and that means a near average winter (until it trends one way or the other)

14. Dan says:

Not sure but I think our low went down to 21 degrees. That is cold!
    I see we begin to moderate. Then, another arctic blast is on the way!!
    We had about 1/4 inch of snow that coated the grassy surfaces last evening.
    Old Man Winter is trying to wake up from his slumber!! Does he fully wake up or does he go back to sleep?

15. Michael (Berrien county) says:

I want to flippin’ shoot myself this morning!! St Joseph & central Berrien county just a few miles west of here has already had around a foot of snow, while I have barely 2 inches here in southeastern Berrien. Still snowing lightly. Hopefully the band shifts just a wee bit to the east & I get some more before it dissipates. GRRRRRR!!!!!!! Here is a pic I saw though this morning from St. Joe. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201010790296598&set=p.10201010790296598&type=1&theater

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Yeah I saw that. Hard to believe. The band has been practically stationary all morning long. Dark & ominous looking sky to the west, yet the sun is shining on the eastern horizon where I live. Unbelievable.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

At least you have some snow on the ground! I too, would not be happy though with such a dump of snow a few miles away!

16. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Models showing another north wind lake effect next week behind the warm up.

1. Im seeing a WSW wind shifting west

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

That would be nice :)

17. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I had my coldest morning here as well. I woke up at 4:30am, and the thermometer was at 21.7°.

18. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Low of 18.1 this morning here in Rockford.