Showers End

December 4th, 2013 at 6:15 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   Thundershowers tracked thru Kent, Ionia,  Montcalm, Mecosta, Gratiot and Isabella Counties.  I understand lightning hit the CMU football stadium.    Small hail fell at Mt. Pleasant.  Temperatures reached the mid-upper 50s .     Most of today (Thurs.) will be dry, with temperatures falling slowly to the upper 20s by evening.  Here’s the latest surface map (the temperature is in the upper left of each station plot).  Keep checking back to this thread for these links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agriculutural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations.

From Paul Pastelok of Accu-Weather Tues. AM:  “It is becoming more and more apparent that the EPO index is a dominant factor in the forecast…Watch also the area in the western Ohio Valley where the main low tracks, right on our mean storm track for December. There can be snow there as well for Chicago and western Michigan.”   Here’s current Canadian temperatures (in F).  It’s pretty easy to see why Hudson Bay is freezing up so quickly.

The overnight European model has .28″ mainly rain today/tonight – 0.15″ Weds. night…a high of about 53 Weds. evening…down to 30 by Thurs. evening…mid 20s Friday, low 20s Saturday and 0.16″ Monday which I hope is all snow, but it’s not impossible there could be some freezing rain mixed in with that.  The GFS plot has 0.55″ for G.R. and another 0.08″ Weds. evening.  It has mid-aftn. temps. of 28 Fri., 23 Sat., 26 Sun., and 31 Mon. with 1-2″ of snow Mon.  The coldest is 11 Weds. am the 11th.  Lots of cold air coming over the Lake Michigan.  There will be snow showers, more than the models are indicating.

Check out Regional radar to see the rain across the Great Lakes. Here’s current watches and current mesodiscussions from the Storm Prediction Center Here’s National Storm Reports for today and yesterday. Here’s a live pic. of the beach at Grand Haven.

Also:  GRAND RAPIDS GOT 8″ of SNOW!   (up to 10.1″ fell near Duluth)  and check out the drummers who play on ice in Siberia.   Flooding, a landslide and a serious lightning injury in Hawaiii.  Another pic. of flooding in the Canary Islands.

151 Responses to “Showers End”

1. John says:

The temperature is beginning to drop here! Just went from 58 down to 55!

12am past travass bed time right Bill?? I can feel the cold air ahh blowing in temps are fallen as I type!!!! Stay winter INDYY

Uncle Jacks Nite is Just Begining Indy…. Stay cued, my Friend ! Who cares about T-BUTT!!!!!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa BITTER COLD for This Time Of Year ! :-(

3. Brad says:

63 degrees, people are out running in shorts & t-shirts, and I swatted a mosquito. And we’re talking about the unverified potential people may need to wear a hat and gloves later this week!?

BIG……” Changes” are on the Way Brad !!! CUE::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8. ;-)

1. Brad says:

Jack, happy to read about your two years of sobriety & I raise a weather toast to your next two years!

Thanks,Brad !! I’ll ” Smoke” to That !! Doctors Orders of Course… Cough, cough! Side Note: I Hate COLD Weather !!! Getting to darn OLE, 2 Enjoy it Winter That IS!!! Stay Cued.. ;-)

Anybody into ole Western Movies ? If So Check out This Video Clip of Old Westerns . Along With The EAGLES Tune Called” OUTLAW MAN” ENJOY if Ya Wish.. CUE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKuBwE-BPAc.

Still 51 here in G.R…..Nice, However The Temps. Will Be Going…” Down,DOWN,Down” !!! So Here is a Great Blues Tune By Red Dog…..Called. “Down,Down,Down” SPIN::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYtqwk1o6vM. Ever Heard it BILL ??? ;-)

6. Scott says:

Current temps west of FROPA:

Milwaukee 38 – Winds gusting to 40 MPH
    Joilet 36 – Winds gusting to 26 MPH
    Madison 34
    De Kalb 32 Winds gusting to 24
    Wisconsin Dells 32 Winds gusting to 21
    La Crosse 27
    Minneapolis 14

Cold air is a coming, people! Front’s crossing the area and welcome to Winter-like conditions.

1. Robert(Plainwell) says:

The wind has really started to gust here.

1. Scott says:

E. VB. Cty here, so close to you, and of course, the same thing – gusty winds really picked up. The cat is running from window to window thinking that the leaves skittering down the walkway are birds – quite humorous to watch. I’ve got a cross-breeze going so I can literally feel the cooler air blow on in.

See, I don’t just like to read about cold fronts, I like to experience it. LOL! Now will someone help me pick up all these little blue triangles off the floor? LOL!

Currently Down to 47 here in g.r. Breezy as Well ..Stay Cued..

1. Scott says:

I will if you help me pick up all these little blue triangles!! ;)

Huh, blue triangles? What am I missing ?

2. Scott says:

Oh, it was a joke referencing the cold front symbols “literally” blowing in – like you would see on a weather map only real. Was just a little weather humor, LOL. Sorry!

That’s what I figured ,but I wasn’t Sure.No problem… I can hear the Wind Chimes on My Back Porch going CRAZY right Now. Have take a Gander at My Thermometer and See how Much The Temp. Has Dropped. Also I closed all the windows I had open Earlier. Wife said it Was To COLD…sheesh.Stay Cued

8. Scott says:

Excellent! Thanks for the triangles! ;)

Judging by the placement of the other symbols on the map you linked to, Jack, I am shocked he got the frontal positions of the mid-latitude cyclone correct! We have snow in front of the warm front ahead of the occlusion, scattered flurries and snowshowers, with possible tornadoes behind the cold front,and thunderstorms near the center of high pressure!!! LOLOL!

It Has dropped Down to 41 here NOW. Temp. Is Dropping like a ROCK.Need some snow to ROLL In. And We Be ROCKIN~n~ ROLLING!!! Lol…