5th coldest day in U.S. since 2000

December 7th, 2013 at 12:04 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

nohrsc  nohrse 2  Click on the images to enlarge.  The image on the left is snowcover across the U.S. and southern Canada this morning.  According to the  National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center the U.S. had a 55.5% snow cover this morning.  The 2nd image to the right is what the snow cover was last year on this date (12/7/12).  Only 10% of the U.S. had a snow cover.   The average U.S. temperature at 9 am this morning was 14.5 degrees, the fifth coldest hour since the year 2000.  Note the range of temperatures from 79.9 to -43.5.   Lake Michigan made a big difference last night, warming the air coming across the lake.  Low temperature contrast this morning:  Green Bay 0, Frankfort 17 – Milwaukee 4 (at Mitchell Field – 2 at Timmerman) and 19 in Grand Rapids – 9 in Chicago and 21 at South Bend.  It was -11 at Wakefield and Champion in the U.P., -16 in Rhinelander WI, -39 at Jordan and Havre MT, -35 at Miles City MT (broke their record low by 12 degrees) -13 in Denver (3rd straight morning with lows below -12), 20 in Seattle, 15 in Eugene OR, 33 Tucson AZ, -5 at Dodge City KS, -24 Valentine NE.  5.4″ of snow fell just northwest of Redding CA.  Here’s the record temperature map…warm in Florida and Alaska, cold in-between.  I’m watching the SMU Football game on ESPN…there’s NOBODY THERE (est. 500, probably many of those family of the players)!  – They announced that tickets were free!  SMU cancelled their basketball game.  College basketball games were also cancelled in Fort Worth, Memphis and Tulsa.  The is the coldest temperature (24) that the Univ. of Central Florida has ever played in!  There were 270,000 without power in the Dallas area after a major snow and ice storm.  It won’t get out of the 20s in Dallas today.   The Dallas Marathon was cancelled.

70 Responses to “5th coldest day in U.S. since 2000”

Saturday afternoon it’s a very cold 20° here at my house. There is still almost no snow on the ground here as there is just a dusting of snow and I now see some blue sky off to my west. I know some blog writers in their maybe their wishful thinking are hoping for a lot of snow this winter and while that MAY be the case I would like to point out that maybe this may be a cold and dry winter here with very little snow. In other words what you see is what you will get….Well if that happens the good news is that when it warms up it will not take long for what little snow there is to melt. So until it is proven otherwise my winter snow fall total still stands at between 50 and 75” for west Michigan. (subject to change either up or down)

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I have reached my high temp so far today at 19.9°. We still have snow showers, it has snowed about 30 hours straight now.

3. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

So how much snow are we expecting of tomorrow night? No weather stations seem to know for sure.

1. John says:

1-3″ although I think there will be 2-4″ north of 96 and 1-2″ south that’s my gut feeling to what is going to happen, there will also be some freezing drizzle south of 96 on top of that light fluffy 1-2″ if snow could really make for some treacherous driving conditions south of 96 and that’s where I could see an advisory being needed for the Monday morning commute!

Seems like a reasonable guess.

2. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Guess you’ll find out Monday morning. about the best Guess i can tell you ;)

4. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

12Z GFS gives me up to 3″ 120 hours out. 12Z NAM gives me up to 2″ 84 hours out. So basically they are saying no lake effect for me, and I don’t see how that’s even possible.

1. John says:

The models can’t tell anything listen to the locals they know what their talking about! NWS, WOODTV, WWMT, WZZM, FOX 17

2. John says:

Here’s what WOODTV says for next week!

With all this cold air arriving the lake effect will kick in Monday afternoon through at least early Thursday. Another several inches of snow is possible, especially west of US 131. A strong west wind will cause drifting. I wouldn’t be surprised to see drifts to 8-16″ by late Wednesday in those areas that see the most snow (mainly lakeshore counties that are favored with a general west to west-northwest wind.

5. John says:

The afternoon NWS long range forecast sounds very interesting, they said that up to 6″ of snow is possible with next weeks lake effect along 96 and to te south, and I’m along 96! :) YAY! :)

.LONG TERM…(TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY)
    ISSUED AT 258 PM EST SAT DEC 7 2013

A VERY COLD AND SNOWY MID WEEK HIGHLIGHTS THE LONG TERM PERIOD.

A HEALTHY LOOKING SHORT WAVE SHOULD DROP OUT OF THE UPPER
    MIDWEST AND INTO THE GREAT LAKES TUESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS SHOULD
    INTENSIFY THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW. THEN ANOTHER WAVE IS SHOWN FOR LATE
    TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING. UP TO SIX INCHES OF SNOW
    COULD BE POSSIBLE…WITH AROUND TWO INCHES INLAND…WITH THESE TWO
    EVENTS. IT APPEARS THE MEAN FLOW WILL BE WEST OR WEST SOUTHWEST…
    FAVORING AREAS ALONG I-96 FOR THE HEAVIEST SNOW.

BEHIND THE SECOND WAVE WILL COME THE COLDEST AIR OF WEEK. WEDNESDAY
    SHOULD START OUT AROUND 20…WITH TEMPS FALLING THROUGH THE TEENS
    DURING THE DAY. WIND CHILLS SHOULD BE BELOW ZERO BY WEDNESDAY
    AFTERNOON THROUGH MUCH OF WEDNESDAY

1. John says:

This is what I thought would happen with a due west wind, so my thinking is that areas in between Muskegon to Cedar Springs to South Haven to Allegan could see the heaviest snow accumulations which would include GR, points to the north or south would see significantly less accumulations!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yea John, you are certainly in the region for LE snow! How much have you gotten so far?

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

And interestingly enough, they actually FINALLY included Grand Rapids in the hot spot for this storm system! Thats a first :)

2. John says:

Close to an inch but south if me such as Soring lake has had 2″ or more and east of me in Fremont they’ve had a couple inches!

3. John says:

*spring*

4. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yep, I can’t see my grass anymore. Yay!

6. SW Kent says:

The wonderful WSW wind flow!

7. So how much could Byron Center see next week? are we going to get in on some good lake effect? because it only says 2″ inland. By inland do they mean like Alto, Lowell, Cannonsburg area??

1. John says:

Inland of 131 you should see some decent accumulations with a west wind!

1. John says:

I meant inland of 131 will see the least! But you should see some decent accumulations in bc with a west wind!

2. Will the heaviest snowbands be pushed further inland with the strong west wind? seems thats the case instead of right by the shoreline with a west wind

1. John says:

Maybe a little but lakeshore areas from Muskegon to South Haven should still get some decent snow accumulations! However lakeshore areas from Whitehall to the north to Ludington should see significant less accumulations with a west wind!

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The heaviest accumulations in a west wind are south of Muskegon and north of South Haven and includes the two rows of counties along the lakeshore.

3. John says:

It does look like for a few hours on Tuesday there could be a WSW wind which would favor areas north of Holland and west of Grand Rapids to Fremont to Baldwin but then quickly switching to the west and that’s when the most significant accumulations would occur!

4. John says:

Looking at the wind speeds from the NWS graphics they have WSW early Tuesday then switching due west after 10am Tuesday and remaining that way thru Wednesday so the most significant accumulations will occur between I-96 and I-94 and west of 131! :) areas to the north or south of that will only receive a couple inches if that!

5. John says:

Sorry for all the comment lol but I could see a lake effect snow watch or warning being issued for Tuesday into Wednesday for southern Muskegon county, Ottawa, Allegan, Kent, and Barry counties.

6. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

We’ll see….seems like it has to set up just right for the lake effect to hit here….I’m on the eastern edge of Yankee Springs, about 11 miles east of the casino.

7. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

Here in Hastings, we get the tail end of lake effect snows. There has been times depends on the direction coming off the lake, we had have some good lake effects before.

If the other conditions are right with a W, WNW or WSW wind the so called I 96 corridor could see the most here in SW Michigan. That’s because that is where Lake Michigan is the widest and there is some added height to the land inland so you have a little added “lift” We shall see how it turns out. In the past is seems as thought may 2 to 5 times a winter we have a good set up for that to happen here in GR and while we may receive several inches of snow it should be the light fluffy king that is very easy to shovel. And with its low moisture content it melts fast LOL

2. SW Kent says:

3-5 inches in BC this week Kyle…..

1. I’ll say 4-8 we seem to get more than predicted

1. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

Just stay off the M-6 if it’s snowing…..

8. Bald Eagle (Montague) says:

Just got home from the whitehall Christmas parade. Let’s just say it was very refreshing out there! LOL. Cold & some snow gently falling & a slight breeze. Very nice little parade. Bill i think you should try to make this one some year! Hope I see a little snow this week! Guess we will wait and see.

1. Jill C. says:

Saw an eagle flying around out here this afternoon near White Lake (in Fruitland Township). Was it you, Bald Eagle?

Yeah, it was cold at the parade this afternoon. And we just have a dusting of snow as of tonight.

Its 19° here with some breaks in the clouds so it should be a cold night for sure (already is in fact) Here in NW GR there is very little snow on the ground (just small trace amounts) so the ground is now somewhat frozen and the roads are cold so if we do get the forcasted snow it will stick to the roads right away and there could be icy spots Monday AM

10. John says:

Here’s a west wind lake effect snow radar, you can clearly see where the heaviest snow bands concentrate, and notice there’s absolutely no flakes from Muskegon to the north to Manistee that’s where the see the least accumulations if anything!

Here’s the link!

1. I’m seeing the heaviest returns from Zealand up to fruit port area then up to 131 and down to about Martin and back to fennville

That looks to be a WNW wind event and on that day GR had a high temp of 22 and a low of 7 with 0.07″ of precipitation reported but for some reason the snow fall amount is only estimated for the day and its only reported as being 0.4 (not right) but then the snow fall for the month of December 1998 in GR is only reported as being 7.5″ BUT January 1999 had a whopping 46.8″ and the winter of 1998/1999 GR did have reported 76.5″ but a good amount of that fell just after the new year.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yea, that is more WNW then W. But you are right about the locations.

3. John says:

Okay sorry haha it looks more like west to me! I guess a west flow would be more defined to areas west of 131 not as far east as Lansing!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Well that depends on wind speed. If the winds are 50 MPH (And if winds were that fast, LE snow wouldn’t develop because the wind wouldn’t travel over water for a long enough period) then the snow bands would travel WAY farther east than a 10 MPH wind.

11. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Why are the so many WWA’s? Is that for a different system or the same one arriving Sunday night? http://www.weather.gov

1. John says:

That is for the same system however for different precip types, the southern WWA’s are for freezing rain and the ones just to the west of us are for snow with 3-6″ in that area so both precip types are advisory criteria!

2. John says:

I could see one being issued for us too though because the Monday morning commute will be impacted!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I think they are getting lake enhanced snow though so that could bump up their totals a bit. But we could see some advisories for ice for our southern CWA!

1. John says:

Yep, I think the whole area though would need to be in the advisory because there could be 3″ of fluffy snow north of 96 which would create icy conditions on roads for the Monday morning commute but well see!

12. mr. negative says:

December 7th

13. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Some of us want NW or WNW lake effect next week, others west, still others SW. Many winter lovers on here, some winter haters. Some optimistic about the snow forecast, others pessimistic. Geesh, this blog reminds me of that old Weather channel commercial “The Front” bar & grill. :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FQkDRid8LQ

I don’t remember that commercial but that was cute.

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

It is a funny commercial!

1. Its looking better! But I still think that the GFS in under doing the snowfall. I don’t think its quite grasping the west wind lake effect. There will be more than 3″ around here from that

1. John says:

The GFS typically underestimates the snowfall so yay it’s quite possible it’s underestimating this, I think it’s mostly catching onto the two clipper type systems wet going to get this week and some lake effect so I’m think well get way more than this!

*yeah*

2. John says:

*were*

I have got to start checking the auto correct haha!

14. Im going to go out on the limb and predict what I think the snow totals will be at this current moment, because of course things will change. Im going to go with 6-8 of snow for areas west of US 131 with drifts up around 15-16″with the strong west wind. Then from about just east of 131 to Caledonia 3-5″ then Trace-2″ past Caledonia with most mainly from the snow system Sunday night. That’s my predictions as of now, can take it or leave it, but Im going with this as of now.

15. John says:

It looks to me like the lake effect next week is going to be more WSW the entire event instead of due west with the latest model run updates! Still could change though so those of you that we’re hoping for a due west wind don’t give you’re hopes up yet!

1. John says:

With a WSW lake effect Grand Rapids still could get hit but WSW is what we had on Thanksgiving which brought the heaviest snow accumulations north of Holland and west and northwest of GR!

1. Figures it has to switch directions. I think I’m about done with the Michigan weather this year lol nothing ever works in my favor no matter if its storms or snow

1. John says:

No need to give up Kyle, things can still change for this week in fact the models always play the back and forth bounce game before they can really get straight at what’s going to happen, but I’m using this term now, never trust a model, trust a local meteorologist they know more than those stinky unreliable models!

2. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Winds could flop around a bit too over a several day period as there could be some clipper type impulses that affect the flow. GFS for instance points at the winds even going more NW for a time after being SW. http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/18/gfs_namer_102_1000_500_thick.gif

1. John says:

I don’t trust the GFS at all! It’s the worst model ever!

16. yooper4021 says:

Hmmmm… I recall that, just yesterday, some were mocking the forecasts that temperatures could approach or even drop below zero during this cold snap. Big Rapids, Cadillac, Mount Pleasant, Fremont, Cedar Springs, among others are in single digits at 11pm. Will be interesting to see how low they go…

17. whatBillwantstosaybutcant says:

8 Degrees South of Hart MI.

Even with occasional peeks of the sun, my thermometer never budged from 11 degrees all day. Gun Lake is the antithesis for too-warm Flint ;-)

And now it’s 5 degrees…..

19. John says:

It’s 12 here however near 31 it’s only 8! Very cold out!

20. On my way home tonight I came up over the hill to be greeted with the suprise of flashing red and blue lights up ahead. From a distance it appeared it would have been right at my house which made me nervous. As I got closer it wasn’t but it appears the house up the road from mine caught fire. Idk how all I can see are flashers just up the road. Just shows you that just because you don’t get a ton of snow and are upset things could b WAY worse! I know this don’t fit the blog topic but I thought I’d share

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

I would hate to be Homeless in this weather,could not even imagine how bad it would be.

2. John says:

Glad you’re okay and that you’re house did not burn down Kyle! I hope the people who lost their home last night are okay and that they find a nice warm cozy place to stay!