Cold Week Ahead!

December 7th, 2013 at 3:38 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

610temp.new    Click on the image to enlarge.  This is the Friday CPC 6-10 day outlook for the 11th-15th.  As you can see, there”s a lot of blue (better chance of colder than average temperatures.  Looking at the overnight data…the European doesn’t bring the temperature above freezing in G. R. until Dec. 16th!  The coldest temperatures (around +5) come Weds. AM and Sat. AM.  The European gives G.R. a total of 0.31″ for the next week…at a 20-1 water-to-snow ratio, that would be 6″ of snow – add some drifting to that, too.  Both the GFS and Euro. give G.R. 0.10″ of precipitation Sun. night – so maybe an inch and a half.  The Euro. has snow showers and flurries more on than off thru Thurs.   The GFS plot has 0.27″ precip. for the week, so pretty close to the Euro.  It has the coldest temps. in the low teens with the strongest wind at 22 mph around midday/early afternoon Tues.   The NAM still has the most snow Sunday night at 2.3″ for G.R.  Snowfall will likely be a little higher to the northwest of G.R. and less to the southeast of G.R.

Also:  Check out the video of flooding in the Canary Is.  Here’s a pic. to go along with the video.   This morning the average temperature across the U.S. could be as much as 4 degrees F colder than the coldest average temperature all last winter across the U.S.  Scroll down a couple threads to see radar and links.

37 Responses to “Cold Week Ahead!”

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Only 140 days til SPRING!!!

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

..at this rate, it will take forever. :(

2. Jen in Middleville says:

Haha! We finally have a white ground! Keep it comin!

3. INDYY says:

13* out thee YARDofBRICKS Don’t remember December being so cold!!! INDHYY….

It’s cloudy and 18° here I have what can be called a dusting of snow on ground and that is it. I see the NWS is still not all that impressed with either the snow for Sunday night nor the lake effect for next week either. In fact I can see where maybe GR will end up with maybe between 2 to 3 inches (maybe) it could even be less (of course it also could be more) I guess it kind of puts a dammper on what some think that if its cold its going to be snowy. Looking at past history here in GR it seems like there have been times in the past where its been cold with little snow on the ground.

Lets review the facts!

1. We have a COLD and SNOWY week on tap!
    2. All signs still point towards a COLD and SNOWY WINTER!
    3. WINTER weather is hitting much earlier than last winter!
    4. I love the temperature forecast for this week. No temps above 30 degrees. It does not get much better than that
    5. Our global cool down has begun. The “Little Ice Age” is upon us!
    6. I am heading up North to find enough SNOW to hit the trails. I love it!

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

Until early next week, you’ll have to cross the ‘big Mac’ to find enough snow on the trails. Most of the snow in the LP has temporarily vanished. http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/Northern_Great_Lakes/nsm_depth/201312/nsm_depth_2013120705_Northern_Great_Lakes.jpg

Thanks for the heads up and I was hoping to find enough SNOW in the Gaylord area, however I will drive up into the UP if I need to. I will be hitting the road within the next 1/2 hour!

1. Michael (Berrien county) says:

OUCH!!!

2. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

LOL!!

2. SW Kent says:

Rocky, are you still predicting 5-10 inches of snow for GR this week?

6. kevin. w says:

Personally my opinion on this winter is that the front part of winter is going to be COLD/dry (december to early Jan) the storm track now is too far south and east. I think just somewhere around early January the pattern will shift meaning the -EPO will go more neutral the NAO will show more blocking, the AO will go neutral/slightly negative and the PNA will relax a bit. I feel by just looking at the pattern and all the models (if means a d*** thing)it may take another month before we can get into a decent storm track(Feb/March). After all they were saying that the cold in the east was going to come late and I bet NO one was forecasting the cold air that deep in California(can anyone say ouch at the fruit market). Anything I’ve said is just my opinion and if you want to start a rant about it or give your thoughts (what do you think Randy) on it I think would HONESTLY be great because this pattern is really baffling me on everything. You can’t trust any of the models this is just a strange pattern.

7. kevin. w says:

I meant to say Rocky and I see your already here. What do you think Rocky???

I think that this is best start to a GREAT WINTER that we have seen in along time. Plenty of cold air and snow pack to our North and West. The foundation has been set and we will be seeing a lot of SNOW this winter. We just need to get the storm track lined up. We will be seeing at least two major SNOW storms hit West MI this month and then we will be getting hammered in January! Get ready people!

1. kevin. w says:

I sure hope your right because I love the cold but we SURE itchin’ for some good storms.

2. It be filled with clippers, most years there not significant but in the late 70s we have plenty of 2-4 3-6 inch clippers which is good for non snowbelt locations, here’s hoping we can get a few of those with the polar jet just south of us to maximize those babies.

1. wow sorry about the bad grammar, hopefully you get what I was trying to convey.

2. Michael (Berrien county) says:

I agree Mark! Everyone always talks about how we need another “blizzard of ’78″ to have a bad winter… but a significant amount of smaller or medium sized clipper storms can make it a snowy winter just as much.

You sounded like a pirate – AARGH, it be filled with clippers….

8. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The National Weather Service point and click forecast has me getting 2 inches of snow Sunday night and 2 inches of snow on Monday. Also, light snow showers off and on this morning, nothing significant.

9. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

I would hate to be the one to figure out our weather forecast. It’s going to be another crazy winter. I can remember back in the 60′s and 70′s, we had real snow storms.

10. Michael (Berrien county) says:

A dusting here in southern Berrien so far. Snowing a lil’ heavier now though. Judging by the radar since last night, I would have to guess that someone up in Allegan or Ottawa counties has to have gotten at least 4 or 5 inches of snow by now. I’ve been seeing the brighter echos centered on them, and it would seem reasonable.

1. Mike in Hamilton says:

You’re probably right about four inches here even though I don’t measure that much. This stuff settles like crazy.

I posted just a little below this that I have 3″ on the ground. Last night before bed there was 2.5″. So that means only a half inch over night right? Actually another full inch at least fell because I measured the inch off of my wife’s car that had come home dry and warm at midnight. There’s an inch on it now. So that’s a minim of 3.5 inches…

11. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I have a couple inches at my house. Areas within a mile or two of the lake have much less.

Big, fluffy flakes coming down right now.

12. Mike in Hamilton says:

3″ on the ground. 19.8 degrees as of 10am

13. John says:

My guess for this upcoming week
    2-4″ of snow along and north if 96 Sunday night-Monday freezing drizzle mix south of 96 with 1-2″ of snow

Then the lake effect gets going sometime during the day on Monday and last thru Wednesday with 3-5″ maybe more much like last nights snow by more widespread west of 131

This is my guess for this upcoming week but things can change quickly!

1. John says:

*of* and *but* not by and if!

14. John says:

Weather.com only has 13 as a high for me on Tuesday! That’s COLD!!!

15. John says:

I had to drive to Fremont this morning and when I did I made some snow observations, I took Holton Rd the strech from North Muskegon to Twin Lake had no snow at all just a dusting but when I passed Holton the snow amounts started going up and when I got to Fremont they had at least 2″ of snow on the ground! Amazing how a west wind can blow the heaviest snow amounts inland!

1. I think it was more of a WNW wind because Grand Rapids got minimal snow which they would get more with a w wind. But interesting how there was more inland!

16. Even though I got 1 inch last night from the lake effect. The roads were very slippery. Had 2 people slid off into my yard nearly nailing my mailbox. Hoping for the snow to keep on coming! And roads will be even more slick if there’s freezing drizzle

17. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We have 1.5″ on the ground right now which is our biggest 24 hour snowfall so far this winter. It’s not impressive, but pretty good since about 2 days ago no one was even talking accumulating snow before Sunday.

1. This makes me think we will get more lake effect Monday to Wednesday next week. We seem to get more with LE than they think

Saturday afternoon it’s a very cold 20° here at my house. There is still almost no snow on the ground here as there is just a dusting of snow and I now see some blue sky off to my west. I know some blog writers in their maybe their wishful thinking are hoping for a lot of snow this winter and while that MAY be the case I would like to point out that maybe this may be a cold and dry winter here with very little snow. In other words what you see is what you will get….Well if that happens the good news is that when it warms up it will not take long for what little snow there is to melt. So until it is proven otherwise my winter snow fall total still stands at between 50 and 75” for west Michigan. (subject to change either up or down)

19. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

There are very big differences in snowfall amounts around here. I have a couple inches at my house near Fruitport, then when I got to Grand Haven Rd. there was barely an inch, and then when I drove past the Hoffmaster Park area there was barely a dusting. Every lit bit you go west, the more there is.

20. Matt (Spring Lake) says: