Saturday Snow

December 14th, 2013 at 2:29 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   Saturday Evening – 10:15 pm – first, some more pics. of the first snow in 112 years in Cairo, Egypt.   We’re in a lull right now…the snow has ended temporarily and the wind has died off…but the wind will increase tomorrow and the snow showers will redevelop.  I had a nice foot drift across my driveway this PM.  The snow has pretty much ended, just  few flakes to the east of G.R. and Kalamazoo.  The wind will veer around from NE to N then NW and finally WNW.  When the wind comes off the lake, the temperature may go up a couple degrees.  The wind will ramp up tomorrow and we’ll get snow showers…Sunday/Sunday night accums. will be a dusting south of I-94 to as much as 3″ north of G.R.  The wind will probably be strong enough to put the heaviest snow inland from the shoreline.   The clipper for Mon. PM to Tues. AM looks interesting.  We could see a shot of several hours of fairly decent snowfall in areas that get snow with a SW wind (NW Kent, Newaygo Co.).   Radar’s at the top of the blog.  The models are pretty similar, giving G.R. about 3 – 3 1/2 inches of snow during the day with some drifting.  The fastest wind is midday at about 20 mph.  The models give G.R. about an inch of snow Sunday and another inch (or two at the most) from Monday into early Tuesday.  The Friday precipitation is mainly rain, with the GFS taking us to 40 Friday am, then back to the low-mid 20s Saturday and lots of highs in the 20s for the rest of December.  The European takes the temperature to the 44 around daybreak Friday with 0.20″ of rain.  We’re only above freezing for 24 hours, then back into the teens and 20s and the Euro. gives G.R. another 3-4″ of snow around the 22nd…so I’m still thinking White Christmas.   I’m working the evening shift today.  Catch me at 6 pm, 10 pm and 11 pm.

Climate notes:  The last 8 days have averaged 10.4 deg. cooler than average in G.R.  The last 11 days have had only 7.9% of possible sunshine.  The last temperature above freezing in G.R. was the evening of Dec. 5.   Check out the snow in Saudi Arabia!  Here’s unusual heavy snow in Cyprus.   Marquette had 7 consecutive nights with lows of 0 to -10.  From the 6th through the 13th, the warmest temperature was 13.   Since Nov. 15th, Marquette has had only one day when they didn’t get at least a trace of snow.  Atlantic Mine has 30″ on the ground.  Talk about lake-effect snow…Redfield, NY had 44″ of snow in 48 hours and a total of 71″ for the week.  Constableville NY reports 56″ of snow in the past week.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agriculutural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations. Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 2 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge.

We’ll have to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers as the cold air settles in next week. Here’s some river water temps. Also, many inland lakes will be icing up in the next 10 days. Beware of early thin ice. Check out our new Lakes and Rivers Webpage.

260 Responses to “Saturday Snow”

1. John says:

Received near 4″ today with a snow depth of 10″ :)

Nice! Where are the personas saying “forecast fail” and ” nothing coming” last night? I haven’t heard from them since… Imagine that.

1. John says:

I know, they were all scared that the snow came today, so they ran to Florida :)

Same people, new names… They come and go.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Did you see the report from a NWS spotter “1NE of Norton Shorex”? “2.1 inches” Seriously? Why do these people always have the lowest amounts? I, like you, measured about 4 new inches this evening.

1. John says:

I don’t know, they said on their facebook this evening that they only measured 1.5″ at the NWS office, I know GR received more than that!

1. John says:

It annoys me!

2. John says:

and my question is do they even go and measure or do they make these totals up?

3. Todd In Nunica says:

NOt sure Matt, but I plowed all of my drives basically from 88th and cleveland in nunica, into spring lake, up grand haven road to sternberg and over to black creek and Sheridan near cloverville and I did not see over 2″ in fact norton shores (right behind the muskegon airport) I did not plow that drive as there was only 1/2″

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

When was that Todd? At around 2 this afternoon, it really picked up. I had over 2 inches when I cleaned the car off at 3. Then it snowed pretty heavily for a couple hours after that. I definitely used the snowblower to clean more than two inches off the driveway tonight.

2. Todd In Nunica says:

Yea I was out from 230pm till 530pm, I dont disagree that you had the 4″ I know aprox where you are and yea that area seems to get the lions share of snow, I just, on a whole, did not see 4″

BUT with that said, depending on where your drive is (what side of the house) as well as if that area you live in is sheltered from the wind somewhat, could affect totals. I know I have two accounts right across the street from each other but for some reason, being lot location, the one is sheltered more from the wind….but the two can be completely different on a nightly basis as far as snow depth.

I know at my house we had a touch more than most of my drives but I would say no more than 3″

As I watched the radar images of the snow, there were many small, skinny bands of snow that would set up then go poof throughout the day, so maybe you got a couple of them set uo over your house.

2. John says:

I heard there was a year that there was a lot of snow on Thanksgiving and the ground wasn’t seen again until April is that true? I know that hasn’t happened this year but who knows maybe from now until April we won’t see the ground again, I hope that’s the case!

1. Todd In Nunica says:

yep I remember a year that winter never ended, like 6 or more months with snow cover.

2. Jill C. says:

Mid 60s? I know there was a year when I was in grade school that happened. My mom has a photo of our family standing out front of our house by our station wagon in our Easter hats, winter coats and boots. Not sure if Easter Sunday was at the end of March or first of April that year but I can look it up.

Marquette will be over -10 degrees for December tomorrow… Yikes!

4. John says:

The 00Z GFS has a pretty good looking clipper coming through Monday night into Tuesday, there could be several new inches of snow with that and with SW flow the bulls eye would be in my area! :)

5. Tyler says:

Yeah Bill what year was that or the question John asked 2 posts above me.

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Maybe 2000/2001 winter?

I don’t remember a year when the airport (SE side of town) went from Thanksgiving to April with a solid 1″+ snowcover. The average high is 50 by April 1, so even at 10 deg. colder than average, it’s still 40 with the sun significantly higher in the sky. I did look up 1976-77, when we stayed below freezing in G.R. for 45 days. That year we had an inch or more of snow on the ground from Nov. 28 to Feb. 22 with the exception of a trace of snow on the ground from Dec. 20-22. In 1965, we had 1″ or less of snow on the ground from Jan. 1 – 22, then more than 1″ of snow on the ground every day in March. That was the year of the Palm Sunday tornadoes. I wonder if Bill Marino at the GRR NWS can look that up.

3. Todd In Nunica says:

The 200/2001 winter I plowed 18 times before Jan 1st, and 9 times after the first of the year (jan/feb/march)

2005/2006 I plowed 15 times before Jan 1st, and 6 times after Jan 1st

2008/2009 I plowed 17 times before Jan 1st, and 17 times after Jan 1st

Needless to say in all the years in the last 13 that Dec was a heavy snow month (which I do not think this Dec ranks with them years but could wind up being close) winter (as far as plowable snows) was for the most part half over come Jan 1st.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

yes I admit, I keep track of snowfall dates as a hobby…..I give a X for under 4″ Xx means 4-7″ and XX means over 7″…..just something I like to look back on. got 13 years of records. I have plowed much longer than that but kept track since I started my business and that was 2000.

4. John says:

Okay Bill I just thought I heard something about a year of snow and no melting from Nov. to April guess I was wrong lol!

Here we go bloggers more snow coming 6-7 inches wow is it even winter yet!!! YardofBRICKS has over 15 inches of snow now!!!! I keep seeing the temp drop for Fridays storm that only means one thing u all SNOW!!!! INDYY

GO INDY’ S COLTS !!!!
      Houston
      Texans
      (2-11)

Indianapolis
      Colts
      (8-5)
      @
      Stay Cued. !!! For Sunday SNOW!!!!! ;-)

7. When is the LE supposed to start up?

8. Ohh a btw I revieved 4.9″ today here in Byron Center as a final snow total from this snow system

9. Bald Eagle (Montague) says:

SW flow for monday? Think that might give me a good shot of snow?

1. You definantly have a shot at some good snow. But at this point I see the heaviest totals NW Kent and SW Newaygo.

10. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Only had 2″ here. Not much of a ‘storm’ to me.
    But I sure wish people would just SLOW DOWN when they’re driving in this stuff. I went for a bite to eat earlier tonight and couldn’t believe how many people were zipping by me at at least 45mph on a snow covered main street.
    Seriously, wherever you’re heading, everyone at your destination would completely understand why you were late.

11. Scott says:

Might want to take a look at Radar. Lake Machine is starting up.