Snow Showers

December 15th, 2013 at 2:55 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   Sunday/Monday – I’ll leave radar at the top of the blog with the snow showers continuing.  There’s an early Sunday model discussion in the thread below.  Slick roads at times today and tomorrow.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Rainfall (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy, the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agriculutural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations. Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 2 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge.

We’ll have to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers as the cold air settles in next week. Here’s some river water temps. Also, many inland lakes will be icing up in the next 10 days. Beware of early thin ice. Check out our new Lakes and Rivers Webpage.

234 Responses to “Snow Showers”

1. I would say the WWA should be allowed to expire tonight but come back again tomorrow

2. Stacsh says:

Still hardly anything in Grand Haven. Wind is too strong here. Can see grass still in places.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

Yea its been a wierd start to winter thats for sure, and I did see that NWS mentioned the strong winds blowing the heaviest (yet again) on tuesday inland. Seems anything 20mph or more and it skips the lakeshore, starts to accumulate just east of spring lake, (say 144th ave) then as I drive east, it just keeps getting deeper and deeper. I have 2 new inches at my house (last 24hrs)

I wont complain though, its JUST enough to plow, easy on the back to shovel, easy on the truck to push…and if we get 1-2″ every day for the next 3 months…well would be a great winter…lol

2. Rob( Norton Shores) says:

Here too!

3. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

18Z NAM has shifted the heavier snow on Monday night south of I-96 now. So maybe all the lake shore counties have a shot at the 5″ tomorrow night, and not just W/NW of Grand Rapids. Either way I’ll be doing a lot of snowmobiling Monday through Wednesday.

There was a sled doing circles on Gun Lake really close to the Allegan Co Park – YIKES! The lake re-froze last Monday the 9th. I know it’s been cold, but we also have a nice insulating layer of snow on the lake, too. We’ve got anywhere from 6″ to 18″ of snow on the ground (we always get a lot of drifting)

2. John says:

The winds are still SW for tomorrow night so I have a hard time believing the NAM but well see.

4. Todd In Nunica says:

NWS is still saying 2-4 inches west and southwest of GR still tonight….is the lake effect supposed to kick up again? or is it done till tomorrow? Trying to plan when to head out…earlier is better for sure!

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

They are saying that the lake effect will diminish and retreat to the west, and become steady over areas west of US-131. Won’t happen until the winds diminish though…they are saying around/after dark is when this should start happening. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

1. Brad (Van Buren) says:

Nothing yet here. We have had no new snow today at all.

5. Lovely Snow says:

.SHORT TERM…(THIS EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY)
    ISSUED AT 325 PM EST SUN DEC 15 2013

SNOW SHOWERS WILL DIMINISH TONIGHT EXCEPT ALONG THE LAKESHORE WHERE
    ADDITIONAL FLUFFY ACCUMULATIONS CAN BE EXPECTED. WILL LET THE
    CURRENT ADVISORY RIDE AS IS UNTIL 7 PM BUT AN EXTENSION MAY BE
    NEEDED FOR OTTAWA/ALLEGAN/VAN BUREN COUNTIES DEPENDING ON TRENDS
    THROUGH THE EVENING.

AS WINDS RELAX TONIGHT THE HEAVIER AND MORE FREQUENT SNOW SHOWERS
    WHICH HAVE BEEN FOCUSED INLAND ALONG THE 131 CORRIDOR SHOULD MIGRATE
    BACK CLOSER TO THE SHORELINE. ANY HIGHER ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS TONIGHT
    SHOULD BE WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF GRR WHERE 2-4″ IS POSSIBLE.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

Thats what I saw, but seeing the radar and reading this I get two different thoughts cause what I see on the radar sure does not follow what nws is saying.

We got a little more today. Just got back from clearing mom’s driveway. We have a solid 7″ here. Temps have dropped and wind has kicked up. Getting cold out.

7. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

As of 5PM I am up to 21.3″ for December, and 24.5″ for the season.

1. Todd In Nunica says:

As of 12am today Muskegon is only at 12.9 for the month. Not sure what they got today but was not much.

2. John says:

Muskegon is close to their seasonal total so far though! We had more snow in November than Martin.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Yup, we virtually had no snow in November.

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

10″ for December…22″ for the year.

8. INDYY says:

BREAKING NEWS MORE SNOW AND COLD COMING!!!! STAY TUNED!!! INDYY!!!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I will be in PA visiting family all of Christmas week. It looks warmer and possibly rainy there. Bleck.

You never know, however based on the above average temps it could be dicey!

We are still on track for a white Christmas! 99.99999% chance!

I see the talk of temps in the 40′s with rain has slowed down! Imagine that! Keep the COLD and SNOW coming! ROCK n ROLL will never die!!

11. Uncle Sparkee says:

Your ol uncle sparks just rearranged the Telly vision Antenna so me and your ol aunty Edna can watch the mature stuff later.damn it’s cold up on the ol tin roof this time of year. But worth it. Windy up in the back woods! It’s gonna get hot in the love shack tonight! Their will be more than coyotes howling tonight my crazy blogg brothers and sisters! Surviving in the back woods of Baldwin!

12. This snow is hitting at the wrong time everyday! It snows in daylight hours then at night stops. I need my snow days! Lol I’m a senior and I don’t need to make up days in the summer so idc how many we use!

Your time will come. I predict the BC has at least 4 snow days this winter! Mark it down!

2. Brad (Van Buren) says:

I feel your pain Kyle. I work at the school. We are allowed 6 snow days a year that we don’t have to make up. We used 7 in my area last year and had to make 1 up in the summer, that was a bummer.

13. Dan says:

Still looking at at the possibility of a storm for Friday and Saturday? I see where the temps will only get above freezing for about 12 hours. Then, more arctic air and LES! Snowiest December on record? Maybe not but, we have received over a foot. With the snowfall that is forecasted for Monday and Tuesday could be closer to 2 feet!

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I’d need about 40 more inches to beat out December 2008.

14. Ohh and btw I don’t see a 2-4″ tonight like the NWS says

15. Dan says:

WELCOME WINTER! It has been awesome HUH?! Keep the snow train and colder temps a rolling! What are we about 1/6 to our season snowfall totals? I hope it will keep going!!!

16. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Winds have been just right for us… Lake effect snow band has been making it all the way to my place for most if the day. Can’t tell how much we got due to drifting, but I would guess at least 6 inches. Have drifts that are 1 to 2 feet deep.

Here’s to hoping that warmup at the end if the week fizzles out and we get to keep all this white stuff!

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

That’s 6 plus inches since yesterday morning, not 6 inches of lake effect today, just to clarify.

17. NOAA has a WSW wind Mon night

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

That’s better than a SW wind…for me at least.

2. SW Kent says:

Perfect for Byron Center…..

1. Lol John the trend lately is the heavier stuff is just offshore, so with a SW even though you will get snow the heavier totals Id say will be Wolf Lake, Ravenna, Fremont, Kent City. Just my hunch haha don’t mean im right. Hope you get in on it too!

3. John says:

No no no no that’s bad for me! That’s what happend last Thursday and we missed it! :(

18. Yup (Grandville) says:

I was in lake effect all the way from Traverse City to Grand Rapids today. Not a fun drive with the wind, blowing snow, and white out lake effect bands!

Sparks is getting crazy must be rolling to many mean greens tonight if only some of us had the time he’s has life would be great!!! Still snowing out at thee YARDofBRICKS we have 17+ inches just in time for xmas ho ho will be happy!!! kkeep drinking them sprites and feeling light!!! Stay Warm!!! INDYY…

***** BREAKING NEWS******** More SNOW & COLD ON THE WAY****** To Cold & Snowy for OLE Uncle Jack ***** I Think I’LL Just sit & SMOKE ***** That’s a FACT***** on The ” INSIDE LOOKING OUT” …… !!!!!!! CUE: from ME 2 U:::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cuvbk-RgHk. ;-)

20. Seems hard to believe that inland areas have seen better snow than the lakeshore. Usually its the opposite! I like the Lake Effect set-ups this year so far! I hope to trend holds!

1. John says:

I don’t :p

1. With the exception of southern Muskegon getting in on snow to the rest of the winter..how bout that?

1. John says:

I’d like that! Deal haha!

21. John says:

The 18Z GFS gives all of the lakeshore counties and inland to GR up to 5″ of snow from tomorrow night thru Tuesday night, and we always seem to get more than that too! :)

That looks about right. Keep the SNOW rolling!

2. Mike (Berrien county) says:

John, in response to your earlier comment about not wanting to move up to Marquette, look at this map of the 2008-2009 snow totals & tell me again why you wouldn’t want to. I’d move in a flash if I could! http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/mqt/0809snow.jpg

1. Mike (Berrien county) says:

By the way, the 246″ is Marquette NWS snow total.

1. BigCountry(Wyoming, MI) says:

Now that would be fun! Although it would make winter hunting a lot more difficult.

22. John (Holland) says:

Bill, you might want to update your “morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts” link; it’s a several days-old twitter link.

Um – no more 40′s in the 8 day forecast! Keep the downward trend going baby! The COLD and SNOW just keeps coming! I love it!

Yeah, the trend down in temps has been pretty dramatic.

1. BigCountry(Wyoming, MI) says:

:) looking much better, hope it stays that way….or better yet, even more cold and snow.

24. Dylan says:

Looks like they pulled back on those 40 degree temps at the end of the week…now just 38!! KEEP FALLING BACK PLEAAAASE!!!! haha I wish next week…CHRISTMAS WEEK) would be like this week…LOT’S OF SNOW!!!!! :) But if we can at least keep most of this…I will be a happy camper!! Still awesome though to get snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day though!! :) Any LONG outlooks on a possible snowstorm!?? Besides there few inches of LE every day!?? haha

If you check out the snowman cam throughout the winter, you can see what winter up there is like, and how long it lasts. I remember last winter in late Mar. they got a big storm, and the snowman was just about completely covered. It was probably a drift, but that’s still 7 feet deep.

The light LES is starting to creep back toward the lake shore now. Say that out loud once. It just doesn’t sound right.

27. Mike in Hamilton says:

I don’t remember the lake effect skipping so far over the lakeshore like this in that past… At least not this often. I grew up 5 miles off the lake, and a 20 mph wind just meant occasional white outs, not blowing the snow inland! Now I live 15 miles inland and the snow I mostly blowing past my house! ( both places were in Allegan county.)

What’s the deal? I’m sure trees some upper air dynamic going on here, but I don’t know hat it is, or why it’s so common this winter…

28. Really? Gobles public schools closed? lol they only got 4-5″ with nothing today. They must have terrible plows or its an old man superintendant that closes for anything

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Is it that windy there? Bloomingdale closed as well.

1. I think its pretty stupid they closed now. How do they know roads wont improve by then? Closing now is a little ridiculous to me

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Schools won’t be closing. If they do, they are crazy (hence the school you stated above)

2. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

They may not be sending plows out tonight. I know one of the main county roads here did not get touched yesterday despite the 3-5″ of snow.

3. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

A couple schools in Eaton County closed as well.

4. Rural guy says:

If the temp is below 32, and plows are not going out, tell me again how the roads will be better????

2. Mike in Hamilton says:

You know how i know you haven’t driven on any rural roads between open fields?

1. Van Buren County has terrible plow service. They always have. They use a ridiculous amount of snowdays at their schools

1. Stephen(North Muskegon) says:

Kid did you not read what Mike posted? They likely have open roads with no trees to allow the roads to ice over super quickly and they focus on the main roads before they even touch the back roads that the buses go on.

2. Byron Center has back roads like Gobles. Roads south of 84th are glaze ice right now, but I guarentee we will have school

3. Ohh and also to add: my name is kyle not kid :D haha

4. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Gobles is all back roads.

5. John says:

Kyle you’ll be open tomorrow, they close very easily in Van Buren county for some reason, sometimes they are the only schools closed in West Michigan!

6. Mike in Hamilton says:

ALL of Van Buren county is rural.. Even if you’re in town, its rural…

29. Mike (Lenawee) says:

About half the districts in Lenawee County are closed for Monday. We had eight or nine inches with the storm this weekend. It was more than predicted. We may have had some lake enhancement back from Lake Erie which is very rare for us a county and a half from the western end of Lake Erie.

We also had one or two inches after the storm. Some of that was lake effect from Lake Michigan. It was an interesting weekend.

30. Cliff(Scotts) says:

Highs for Thursday and Friday our at 37, will the downward trend continue?

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Sure as h*ll hope not. No matter tho, as long as it’s above freezing and raining ‘and’ windy..this crap will melt.

31. Can someone explain why the NWS still says an inch or two overnight?

OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE SLICK ROADS WITH
    AREAS OF LOW VISIBILITIES WEST OF US-131 BOTH NORTH OF WHITE HALL
    AND SOUTH OF GRAND HAVEN THROUGH THE NIGHT. ANOTHER INCH OR TWO IS
    POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS BY MORNING.

.DAY ONE…TONIGHT

OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE SLICK ROADS WITH
      AREAS OF LOW VISIBILITIES WEST OF US-131 BOTH NORTH OF WHITE HALL
      AND SOUTH OF GRAND HAVEN THROUGH THE NIGHT. ANOTHER INCH OR TWO IS
      POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS BY MORNING.
      KEY WORDS…Possible in Specific AREAES !!!! IMHO … Stay cued

That’s precisely what it means.

32. John says:

There’s some schools beginning to close in Calahoun county for tomorrow that’s so weird, they barley got anything? Hmmm I see someone’s desperate for some snow days lol!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

They are even bad around here, John. The roads that are in open areas, like by the airport, were drifting pretty badly this evening.

1. John says:

Yeah they are pretty bad, Muskegon county seems to be the last to close their schools or don’t even close at all

33. Yup (Grandville) says:

North south roads are treacherous right now. Rural schools wouldn’t run busses on near sheer ice conditions.

34. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Hey John, checkout the little jackpot on the latest NAM! Lol

35. John says:

I was just doing some driving and the roads are bad some of the worst I have driven on yet this season, especially those back ones they are a sheet of ice!

36. John says:

Finally the 00Z GFS has pushed all of the warm air south of the state! :) just looks like some mid 30′s now and just for a short period of time, so much of the snow over will remain :)

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

But much of it will melt as well. :)

1. John (Holland) says:

So edgy.

2. Bobby (Ada) says:

I’m not quite sure how 12 hours of 35-45 degree temperatures is going to melt all or most of the 17 inches of snow on the ground? I wish that was the case come spring when i get the golf itch, but it somehow takes 2 weeks of 65-70 degree temps to melt 10 inches of snow…. Imagine that… 100% chance of a white Christmas in GR this year everyone :)

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

While I will admit we won’t lose a ‘ton’ of snow this Thursday, it does not take two weeks with those temps. If we hit 60 with some solid wind, it would only take a day to lose what we have.

In fact, that very thing happened either last Winter or the Winter before (can’t exactly remember which). We had a similar warm-up one day event, and everything was gone except the big piles from snowplows.
          Even ‘that’ surprised me.

2. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

You don’t live that far from me. Why on Earth do you have 17″ in Ada? I’ve got maybe 8 or so in ‘my’ yard.

37. John says:

The NWS says my area only got 1 inch from Saturdays system, yeah right where did they get those totals from? I measured 4″ on the day of Saturday!

They probably used a measurement from one of their registered NWS spotters, whom likely measured in a different area than you.