Tornadoes injure five in Arkansas

December 21st, 2013 at 8:27 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

1300 UTC Day 1 Outlook   A rare MODERATE RISK of severe thunderstorms Saturday from the Ohio River down to Louisiana.  Today, t-storms are possible from the Gulf Coast to southern New England.   Five people were injured in tornadoes in Arkansas Sat. PM.    This is pretty unusual on the Winter Solstice, the day with the lowest sun angle of the year.  There is a strong upper level system combined with strong wind fields and a sharp temperature contrast between the very cold air over the snow cover of the Northern Plains and the warm, moist air coming off the still warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.  You can come back here to check on Tornado Watches that are in effect, Mesoscale Discussions and Severe Weather Reports.   There was one tornado on Friday.   UPDATE:   At least three tornadoes were reported and over 100 reports of wind damage from W. Ohio to far SE Texas.

Also, more on the coming Arctic blast, centered on the Great Lakes.  Pattern similar to 1994 when Grand Rapids had a record low temperature of -22F.   NW Europe getting huge storm with very strong winds.  Global sea ice 2nd highest ever in satellite era (since 1979).

25 Responses to “Tornadoes injure five in Arkansas”

1. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

Well stocked here. Hopefully the ice is minimal, and we keep our electricity here in the woods……

It’s awful just north of us – we drove our huge long-box, 4-door F-350 pickup to my daughter’s house near Green Lake – and the roads are skating rinks. Parked in her driveway, then tiptoed across the ice to her back door. Had a lovely breakfast with her – and as we went to leave – noticed that the truck was now parked at the BOTTOM of her driveway – it slid about 30′ backwards at some point….LOL!!

1. Marti B. (36th/Kalamazoo SE GR) says:

I love the Green Lake area….so peaceful out there! Glad your truck didn’t go anywhere else. Please be careful!

2. sandy says:

Been following the weather as we come up from FL to home in GR. Wondering the best route to take. Currently coming into Kentucky. Any suggestions?

There’s really no great option here. We came up from Kentucky yesterday and came up I-75 to Lima OH – cut west to hook up with I-69…took that to I-94, then north on US 131. In Michigan stick to main expressways…with temps. in the low 30s, the friction of the car tires and a little salt should keep them in better shape. You should be able to come in I-75 if you want to come up thru Ann Arbor. The earlier the better. While it won’t be pleasant driving today…it’ll get worse tonight and early tomorrow.

1. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

Bill, I got grandkid’s coming up from the Great Smoky Mt. today, and they take I-75 to Ann Arbor. I am sure they will run into all kinds of weather. I look for them late afternoon. I have said before, when I lived in southern Alabama from the late 80′s to mid 90′s, we had tornado watches around Christmas time every year. I can remember some of those tornadoes in Alabama and Georgia did alot of damage and some lost of life, just before Christmas. Keep safe everyone.

Hope they got back OK. We had my in-laws Christmas Sat. evening and one person from Ann Arbor chose to stay home rather than risk driving in freezing rain.

2. sandy says:

Bill thanks so much. So good to “hear” from home. Your blog and tv 8 have been the most helpful. We finally hit the rain here in Lexington. Now the real travel begins.
        Left 8:30 last night from Orlando to make it home before it gets really bad. It will feel good to get back to Hudsonville.

2. ptmartin (grandville) says:

If you are going to Hudsonville take 65 out of Indy to 94 to 196 to home! I’ve made Grandville in 3 1/2 hrs running 78 mph! Drive safe! Snowing here!

3. Jerrod (Hartford) says:

Bill — great to see you back in the blogging world. We all missed you, but I, like you, realize family is more important!

NWS just updated my grid forecasts in Hartford this evening to sleet before 10pm, then freezing rain between 10pm and 1am to rain afterwards. At least that’s how I’m reading it.

Sad to see so many will be affected by the snow, ice, rain, flooding and severe weather. It’s worth noting 47 million are affected by the severe weather alone.

4. Ben (North Muskegon) says:

AHHHH!!! North muskegon has consistently been right on the edge of a solid 6+ inch snow and 2 inch snow for the the past several model runs. Hope it holds there or moves farther south. Just a 2O mile move north would take North Muskegon out of the snow and into the slush.

5. Uncle Sparkee says:

Your ol uncle sparkees getting loaded waiting on the storm. If the golden m goes out on you gig city lights don’t come drifting my way. Sit tight and wait for the government to come rescue your behinds ha ha ha! Getting crazy in the back woods of Baldwin tonight, your ol aunty ends feelin frisky and your ol uncle sparks I’d feelin riskee!

6. Zach says:

Damage reported with another possible tornado

7. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

My wife had to work tonight, it’s very icy on the back deck. Salt trucks are out. BE SAFE

8. Zach says:

Another tornado report…. more flipped semis

9. Barb says:

It’s just snow here in SE GR–about 1/4″.

10. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

Looks like we will get hit hard here in Barry County. MDOT does a good job here in Barry County.

11. Larry from Hastings/Barry Co says:

We have power as of now. Consumer energy map shows power outage in my area. Looks like it’s going to be a long night. MDOT has been working hard tonight. I am surprise Barry County isn’t under a ice storm warning.

12. Zach says:

Some idiot chasers drove into a tornado again today… with just a regular car – not some improved vehicle.

1. Douche move trashing those guys publicly like that. It’s not like they drove into it on purpose. Have some respect man.

1. Zach says:

Stupid move tracing a rain wrapped tornado at night in an area you don’t know. Respect is earned not given, and its definitley not earned by stupid decisions.

13. My friends Aaron and Brandon were chasing and actually were hit by a tornado. Here’s the video! They are okay http://youtu.be/1gm65fKpyBI