Modis Pictures

January 2nd, 2014 at 5:56 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Modis Lake Superior   modis lake michigan   Lake Superior Ice FormationThese are recent MODIS satellite pics. for Lake Superior on the left and Lake Michigan (which is from today) in the middle.  The image on the right is from the National Weather Service, showing the rapid ice formation on Lake Superior.  You can click the pictures on the left and right to enlarge.  Almost overnight the ice formed from the shore out to Isle Royale.  Temperatures have been crazy-cold…-43 at Intl. Falls MN this morning and Dec. was the 5th coldest ever at Marquette.   At 6 pm – it’s -11 already at Pellston and -2 out on Beaver Island.  Big Green Lake in Wisconsin (a very deep lake – at 237 feet, it’s deeper than Lake Erie!) froze over New Year’s Eve.

10 Responses to “Modis Pictures”

1. kevin. w says:

I think most of our system snows will come in February/March as the pattern will realign itself out of the southwest instead of the bitter cold small systems out of the northwest. Still think were going to have at least two whoppers and probably one a big snow event then another major icing event toward the end of February as spring will want to start coming in. Just my opinion as we can’t get big storms in this crazy pattern. I’m betting the last part of winter is going to be far worse then the beginning of it. :)

With it having been cold for so long, I expect we could see a pattern change after this next cold shot and maybe head into a warmer period and it could be either dry or wet and that could mean more rain and or snow. Right now my guess would be warmer/dryer or warmer/wetter with more rain then snow. And then if there is a big system storm it could come in March with either a big snow storm or ice storm at that time. But then again I can see where we could end up the opposite from last winter where it could become mild in mid January and stay that way the rest of the winter. (I know there are some who will go bananas on that one but its something that has in the past happened and it could happen again this winter) My snow fall total for GR for the winter is still in the 70 to 75 inch range and will stay that way for now.

2. dereks says:

Perfectly clear here in northeast Montcalm county with no wind. Maybe -20 tonight?

Its clear here now and the temp is now down to +5° will keep an eye on the temp. My thinking is this will be my firs below zero night this winter. Maybe looking at two more next week.

Whoops the wind might have gone clear here as the temp is dropping rapidity now down to +4° Getting ready to go walk on the treadmill so will see what it is after that.

Only 9 over on this side of the state.

4. Jacklap says:

-3F at 7:50pm near M-66 / M-44 junction.

1. Jacklap says:

-7F and still falling at 10:15pm near 66 / 44 junction. Clear skies and no wind.

2. Jacklap says:

-10F at 12:10am near 66/44. How low can it go? I won’t know cause I’m going to bed.

5. Ryan (Rockford) says:

-3.8 F and falling fast on the northeast side of Rockford. Temperatures have been steadily dropping since around 4PM or so. I would expect it to easily hit 10 below, if not 15 below! We’ll see if cloud cover arrives at some point, though, which will probably cause a slight rise if anything.