Monday Cold and Snow

January 6th, 2014 at 2:42 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

glerl shn 1 5 13   This is a pic. from the GLERL camera at the S. Haven lighthouse from Sunday.  Here’s another pic. looking east.   Here’s the animating loop of pics. from the Muskegon Beach Cam…note the ice moving around and coming out of the channel.  Check out the cool time lapse over icy Green Bay.   The Hudson River is also clogged with ice.   Lots of ice already.   115 million people under a wind chill advisory or warning this morning!  Here’s a picture of what appears to be a funnel cloud taken yesterday looking east over Lake Michigan in Chicago.  This is a forecast of wind chill temps. for Tues. AM.  Note the warming influence of Lake Michigan.  The wind will be southwest and you can see the colder wind chills south of a line from Benton Harbor to Lansing with the colder wind chills to the south.   Also - a near record fewest tornadoes in 2013Wetlands increasing in Michigan and the Great Lakes.   Cool Weather Photos.   Another tornado scar visible from space.   Blowing bubbles in the cold.

8 Responses to “Monday Cold and Snow”

1. John (Holland) says:

Looks like the new LES bands are starting to form at a 45° angle to the snakelike narrow band that is shutting down.

2. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

That windchill map is very cool! One of the few times (outside of summer) when we can be thankful for that lake.

3. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

12.5″ of snow here in the woods, ironically, the heaviest snow of the entire storm is falling right now with a LE band…

4. Rebecca (GR) says:

Can someone tell me what the total current snow accumulation is and also the total snowfall for this winter so far? Or give me a link where I can find this information? Thanks

5. Jo (GR) says:

I am also interested in knowing total current snow accumulation so far for Grand Rapids for this winter. I’ve tried finding a sight on line, and can’t find one. It would be nice if Wood TV 8 would keep a running total somewhere on their web sit. :-) Thanks.

47″ for G.R. last I checked and 57″ for MKG.

6. Jo (GR) says:

Is there a way to find out total current snow accumulation so far for Grand Rapids? I’ve tried to find a link and have been unsuccessful. Thanks.

Last I checked G.R. was at 47″ and Muskegon at 57″