Light Snow Then Rain

January 9th, 2014 at 5:44 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local Thurs. night –   The GRR NWS PM forecast discussion did a nice job once again of highlighting the impacts from the coming weather. I’ll add the possibility of icy roads Sunday morning as temps. may be a little below freezing and the ponding from the rain will likely freeze up.  A few periods of light snow or flurries tonight will accumulate a dusting in most areas, an inch tops.  There could be a little freezing mist to cause a few icy spots (in addition to the snow that’s already on the side streets/rural roads) Friday AM.  When the rain starts the ground may be cold enough to produce some icy spots even if temperatures (taken at the 5-foot level) are a little above freezing. This will be a significant rain – maybe 1/2 to 1″ and there’s no place of the water to go…it’ll soak into the snow (and then freeze when it get’s cold enough. That may cause a problem for snow that’s on roofs or hanging from gutters (knock the snow off your gutters if you can). The water will pond on the roads (clear drains and downspouts if you can) and may freeze Sat. night, making for some very icy spots for the church commute Sunday AM. We’ll flip from above freezing to below freezing several times next week and that will also cause icy spots. We’ve got news/weather stories on impacts tonight, watch us at 5, 6, 10, and 11. Here’s current Michigan temperatures, and a national weather map. Here’s the NAM model 84-hour snowfall and GFS model snowfall thru 120-hours (not much).

58″ of snow on the ground at Painesdale. ICE expanding rapidly on the Great Lakes. Cold safety tips. Check out the lake-effect snow bands coming off Lakes Erie and Ontario – complete with wind gusts to 45-60 mph, visibilities near zero and THUNDERSNOW!

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agriculutural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge.

Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers as the cold air continues. Here’s some river water temps. Check out our new Lakes and Rivers Webpage.

59 Responses to “Light Snow Then Rain”

1. Scott (robinson twsp) says:

Sounds like fun next week. Guess I better get the roof rake out.

2. WswPlz says:

How much snow should raise concern??

Light SNOW, then rain, then COLD and then a TON of SNOW!!!!!!

1. SW Kent says:

Rocky, I want snow and cold also.
      When are we going to get it?
      Give me some projected dates that you expect a ton of snow….
      thx

Starts the end of next week and then just keeps going!

4. WswPlz says:

Only flat roofs?

5. WswPlz says:

Bill , do you have an opinion as to what type of snow accumulation should raise concern given the forecast for this weekends rain event? Thanks, lived in California my whole life. :) oh btw I have angled roof tops

I don’t think you need to be concerned at this point. The snow we have has been light and fluffy, without much water content. Snow weighs anywhere from about 7 pounds per cubic foot to 30 pounds per cubic foot. The snow we have is light, so closer to the 7 lbs. per cubic foot. Building codes in Michigan are at or above that. Water weighs about 5.2 pounds per inch per square foot…so 3/4″ of rain soaking into the snow would be about 3.9 pounds per square foot – and that’s assuming that not a drop of water ran off. So, 3.9″ of rainwater, plus 11 pounds of snow if you have 18″ of snow on the roof isn’t even half what the roof can hold. If you do want to clear the roof, consider a professional. You don’t want to slip and fall. Obviously, the angle or pitch makes a difference. The steeper the angle, the more gravity will pull the snow and ice down to the gutter or ground. I’m going to have to add this to a thread, but watch out for falling icicles as it warms…that’s a real danger.

6. WswPlz says:

Thanks Jack/ Rocky for the Jem update and the info…. I will keep my fingers crossed. I hope this will be another to rack and stack per Jack!!!!

7. BIG MAC says:

sw kent seems to think green grass will be showing in 6 days shake and bake some more

This just Goes to Show You, Ya Gotta Have ” Balls” to Live in God Ole ” Pure Michigan !!!!! Lake Michigan’s Massive Ice Balls Look Like Cocoa Puffs
    Business Insider‎ – 1 hour ago
    Stay Cued or Balls’yyyyyy !! Lololo.. ;-)

9. WswPlz says:

Thanks Bill!! All the information is much appreciated. Like I was saying earlier, this blog is the best around, not only weather, but many fun and useful facts as well. Thanks again Bill.

All time low set in Adrian and confirmed by the NWS Detroit. I thought no all time record lows were set? Lol.
    Waiting for confirmation of Port Huron.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Kalamazoo broke their record low temps for the date 3 straight days this week.

11. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

BRING on the RAIN and WARM TEMPS!!!
    Let’ MELT this CRAP!!
    ROCK N ROLL BABY!!!! :P
    (Yep, just adding another post to the many stupid redundant ones)

The “join them” attitude… Good luck :)

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Not even close. The two biggest offenders on this blog have become parodies of themselves…

1. Dan says:

This from the guy who claims that Spring starts in May…HMMM

2. DanDan the question man says:

Will the sun set later tomorrow? What will the temp. be on June 1st. Will the sun be shining next Thursday? Will we see snow on Feb. 19th? Will the moon make an appearance this week? Will there be thunderstorms the first week of August?

3. Dan says:

Thanks, DanDan! Your comments are appreciated!

2. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Try ‘April’, Dan. If you’re going to attempt at an insult, at least get it right.

1. Dan says:

101 days until Spring Tom. You stated it. I wasn’t going for an insult. I was challenging how you determine that Spring starts in that many days?? Then, you come on and slam Rocky. I know you don’t like Winter. Winter just started! Nice try at a rebuttal.

Rock On TomKap and thanks for listening!

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

That’s just it – I don’t – I can’t be the only person who completely skips all your posts. There are ALL exactly the same. Why read them again?

1. mart (gr) says:

+ 1 gadzillion

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

+1 million

3. Dan says:

Aren’t you reading them? Why not just let them go?

Massive ICE BALLS Look Like ” Coca PUFFS” ???? Let’s all GO CUCKOOO ::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uVP1Uy5tL0. Just One of my Favorite OLD T V Ads !!! Remember it BILL & Others ????? Lol.. Stay cued !! :-)

13. WswPlz says:

Not to mention the free entertainment, that goes without saying. More artic cold and blizzards on the way as spring is still miles and miles away.

14. Does all this snow and cold mean for a cooler summer? I was looking on CBS and they had an expert say 7 out of the 10 times it means a cooler summer. I had to say that checks out. I mean, look at our 2008-2009 winter, we got a lot of snow then. Then come summer, we very very cool (almost cold). I remember June 30, 2009 I was up in traverse city and I was wearing my winter coat!

15. Nick says:

why isnt there anything about the powerful imminent solar flare on this blog?

Northern lights more likely tonight, but will Michigan’s sky be clear enough?
      MLive.com ‎- 3 hours ago
      Many of us looked for the northern lights last night, but none were reported here in Michigan. NOAA’s space weather division is forecasting that … Stay cued.. ;-)

http://www.softservenews.com/. Nice Link Here, RE: Northern Lights !!!! ;-)

16. WswPlz says:

Because you won’t be able to see it most likely in our area. FYI, it has been talked about already. Just not on this thread.

17. WswPlz says:

Cort posted a couple of good links, Nick.

18. Hey bloggers, check this out! This is so cool! There were ice balls in Lake Michigan in Glen Arbor (Leelenau County). Very interesting! I wonder what causes it!

This is a very strange phenomenon, I think it actually happened a year or 2 ago, if memory serves me correct.

19. WswPlz says:

The wind most simply put. More to it of course. Lol

20. John says:

This winter has been fun- nothing like a properly cold and snowy winter, which had been lacking in the past few years- but I’m ready for spring. I can’t wait until it gets close enough to start making some long range predictions about the severe weather season!

21. mr. negative says:

Will there be a warm-up followed by more cold and snow?…I think so, but then you never know. Will this winter be long with a slow start to spring?…it certainly could be, yet long range forcasts don’t mean a thing. Summer looks to be cold and late…while the very thought of it stirs the “joy of hate” debate.

22. Dan says:

Is that freezing rain falling right now (84th and 131) ? It seems to be. However, it is very light!

23. Dan says:

Lets hope for a long, cold Winter! This will be followed by a long HOT Summer!
    Here is to hoping!

” Hot Summer Nights ” !!! Ya, I gotta Bad Case of LOVIN THEM !! CUE:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNLfQkHQlE8 lol.. Stay Cued !! ;-)

Hot summer nights -1
        The song +1

24. Dan says:

Hey Jack! How about cuing up a dandy from Led Zep? It is Jimmy Page’s Birthday today! One the greatest rock guitarist of this modern era!
    Thanks Brother!

Hey, Dan. I Did Put Up ” When the Levee Breaks ” on The Thread Below Below !! But Here Ya GO Bro. …It’s Time for Me To ” Ramble On” !!! STAY CUED::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3HemKGDavw. ;-)

25. John says:

Hey Bill, does it look like a tricky commute in the morning because of the freezing drizzle? I have to leave in the morning to go to my doctors appointment, thank you!

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

NWS says freezing drizzle will be minimal. Thus, no advisory.

26. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Arctic blast on the 18th? Accuweather, WeatherTrends, and some other models are showing another warm up at that time.

1. John says:

Get ready for a cold February though! It’s coming fast!

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

WZZM has a high of 17 forecasted for the 18th.

27. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I’ve gone snowmobiling almost everyday this year. The snow piles are so high along the roads we are having a problem getting on the shoulders of the roads with our snowmobiles. This is one of the deepest snow bases we’ve ever had. Anytime we get rain on our frozen dirt roads with temps in the 30′s our roads becomes an ice rinks. With how frozen the trail is I am guessing that there will be a lot of pounding of water on top of the snow that never soakes through. We’re going snowmobiling all day tomorrow as well with such amazing conditions, and to try and beat the rain. There was a report that snowmobile sales have been up 300% over the past few years. We have seen more snowmobiles so far this winter which is very good for local businesses.

28. WswPlz says:

Hey Travis, do you recommend purchasing a snowmobile pre-owned or are you better off going new, in general. Of course I understand that many things play into that decision. I’m not to familiar with the up keep and such, in fact more like 0 knowledge. I have owned motorcycles and currently own a boat, so I understand things do break. Lol. Thanks…btw have been ridding a few times and it’s a blast.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

If you can find a slightly used snowmobile you can usually save a bunch of money. One of my snowmobiles is from 1998, and it still gets the job done. Just depends on how much you would want to spend, and how much you think you will use it.

29. Dan says:

25 degrees at 4:45 am. This feels balmy! Thanks for posting the Zep song Jack! Bring on tje shortbwarm up and then we return to Winter! How about those NFL playoffs? I’m going to go out on a limb and say San Diego beats Denver this time around. I know, I’m betting against Peyton.

30. Dan says: