Winter Storm Warning and Advisory

January 22nd, 2014 at 7:29 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

advisoryAmbulance slide-off roll 1 22 14 Muskegon Co.Van Buren Co. just added to the Winter Storm Warning!  Up to 3 feet of snow on the ground – north lakeshore.  Moderate to heavy snow band continues in W. Ottawa, Allegan and Van Buren Counties.  Pic. is an ambulance that rolled in Muskegon Co.  Two paramedics, a mother and child inside – all properly restrained – no significant injuries – good idea to use those seatbelts in weather like this.  Picture from Eagle Towing.   Look at the surface map and you can see a lot of cold air. .  A 10-mile stretch of I-196 in Allegan County was closed due to numerous crashes.  Weds. US 31 was closed in Muskegon due to several crashes.  Winter Storm Warning is now in effect until 1 pm for Ottawa, Allegan and Van Buren Counties.   Winter Weather Advisory continues in effect 7 am for Muskegon, Oceana and Mason Counties and until 7 am tomorrow (Thu.).  for Berrien and Cass Counties.  Kalamazoo Co. has been added to the Winter Weather Advisory until 1 pm.  The Advisory is until 10 am for St. Joseph, Branch and Hillsdale Counties.    Snowfall reports: 14″ five miles west-southwest of Bridgeton in far SW Newaygo Co., 12″ Spring Lake, 11 Fruitport,  10″ Grand Haven, 8″ Norton Shores,, 7.5″ Zeeland,  6-7″ near Fremont, Muskegon and Hesperia, 5″ New Era (Oceana Co.), 4″ Zeeland and Ludington.  In the U.P., we have a Lake-Effect Snow Warning for the Keweenaw Peninsula for 4-8″ of snow plus considerable blowing and drifting and a Lake-Effect Snow Advisory for much of the rest of the U.P.  At 7 pm – Houghton was 3 above zero with a north wind at 25 mph gusting to 36 mph.  They reported heavy snow, blowing and drifting snow and a wind chill of -20!  The Emergency Manager in Keweenaw Co. said “all roads are closed – stay home”.

It was very cold where skies were clear Tues. night.  Ann Arbor dipped to -18 this morning.  Alpena dropped to -21.  MODIS picture today (1/22) of ice forming in Lake Ontario.   Check out the ice halo from Ontario.

MODEL UPDATE:   The big story is the relentless Arctic attack!  The morning run of the GFS plot has highs of 12 for Thurs. (with a little sun), low-mid teens most of Friday with a very strong southwest wind (up 27 mph with blowing and drifting and tough travel)…we get snow starting Fri. PM…and 2-5″ looks possible (highest lakeshore counties), we go up to he upper 20′s briefly Fri. night, then back into the low teens by late Sat. with a stiff wind.  Sunday the model has a high for G.R. of 11 with another 1-3″ of snow…the highs for Mon./Tue./Wed. are 10, 10, 9 and we get lake-effect snow each day.  We crawl up to 22 Thu. before the next Arctic surge.    The NAM model is probably overdoing the snow, but has an 84-hour snowfall total of nearly a foot for Ludington to a little over an inch for Mt. Pleasant.

Average temperature for the Lower 48 states at 10 am EST today (Weds.) was 22 degrees.  At the same time, the average temperature in Alaska was 24 degrees!!   Coldest relative to average for the next week centered from N. Plains, thru Great Lakes and Ohio Valley to the East Coast.  Wisconsin, Illinois border area more than 28 deg. below average!!   Joe Bastardi Tweet:  “2 CROSS POLAR AIR MASSES WILL HIT US NEXT WEEK. Current air masses not as cold as whats coming. Different source region.”

385 Responses to “Winter Storm Warning and Advisory”

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Only 1.25″ here so far. Very tiny flakes.

1. Got about 3″ here in Byron Center (maybe even a little more). Hard to tell with the blowing of the snow

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Since our deck is on the north side of our house it had no blowing with a S wind so it’s easy for me to get an accurate measurement. Feel lucky though as you got double of what I have received so far, and more than double of what GR got.

Green over the fine city of East Lansing. How appropriate. :-)

Go Green, however on the SNOW map I will take the pink and red any day!

Total precip forecast for the next 16 days. With these cold temps this could end up as over 2 feet of SNOW for Kent County!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

3. Tom (North Holland) says:

10″ since 3pm here.

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Wow! Did anyone see THAT much snow coming today? I had maybe a few inches tops in Rockford, although it snowed in varying intensities all throughout the day.

Nope. That’s why you can’t trust models.

4. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I couldn’t believe the difference in snowfall from where I work in Norton Shores to my house in Fruitport/Spring Lake township area. 6 or so inches in Norton Shores and over a foot 10 minutes away at my house.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

10″ here Matt

1. Only 7″ behind you John haha!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Mines bigger hahahaha :-)

5. My total was correct as I just cleared the driveway. I got 3″ in Byron Center Bill

6. John (Norton Shores) says:

Rual roads are still not plowed but the main roads are much better compared to this afternoon where they were full of whiteouts!

7. Impy says:

Rocky is like a roller coaster. I love roller coasters. I love you too rocky. All we need is loveeeee…..da da da da da…..

8. Deb says:

Soooo we are heading north for my birthday weekend this weekend. Is is a safe bet that we’d be better off taking M-37 up to M-55 rather than US31 to US10 to Manistee?

1. haanstar says:

If it were me I would take 131 to 55, longer route but by bypass the most snow covered roads

1. Deb says:

Thanks! Thought about that too, just not crazy about M55 all the way to Manistee from US131

9. DAO(New Richmond) says:

wow crazy totals this afternoon. 8-10 here in new richmond. who would have “thunk”. Was suppose to get 1-3 today. And it is still snowing hard… like a white out. It’s pouring snow !!!!

10. Cort S. says:

HRRR wants to spin up a cute little mesolow over the lake Thurs. morning. Watch for it.

Click Here

Nice call, Cort. See Bill’s first sentence on the new thread.

2. Wswplz says:

Ya I’m pretty sure I witnessed it first hand this morning in holland, it was intense snow, love it.

11. Todd in Nunica says:

I think this May be the most epic failure of a forecast I have seen in years. Most snow I have seen since the ground hog day blizzard in some areas, for sure the single biggest dump of the year for my plow route, only saving grace is the fact it weighs nothing…to go from 2-4 even 2-5 to 12+…crazy.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yeah, it is nice and fluffy. We have had a couple of very similar SW flow events since the blizzard…so I wouldn’t say it is the biggest.

12. Jesse (Zeeland) says:

Just measured 8.5 inches of new snow in the driveway. 5 inches fell from 6-9:30pm. Neighbor came over with his snowblower because he saw me shoveling! What a blessing! I have not seen it snow that hard in many years!

13. Jesse (Zeeland) says:

I think it’s safe to say that the NWS got this one wrong! Not discounting them at all because they are accurate most of the time, but the NAM and GFS may have actually panned out this time!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Bahaha…accurate depending on where you are. I know their job is difficult, but they are horrible with the Muskegon area’s weather.

14. John (Norton Shores) says:

There’s a blizzard warning up in the u.p for wind gust of 35-45mph and snow accumulations 5-10″, that’s what we could see Friday into Saturday, defiantly blizzard warning criteria for Friday evening into Saturday

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Nah…winter Weather Advisory… :P

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Probably what the NWS will do, and then on Saturday they’ll upgrade us to a blizzard warning! Lol!

1. Mike (southeast Berrien county) says:

Maybe we’ll see this. :-) …CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE…

THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM THE KEWEENAW COUNTY EMERGENCY COORDINATOR. ALL
          ROADS IN KEWEENAW COUNTY ARE SNOW COVERED…DRIFTED AND IMPASSIBLE.
          THE KEWEENAW COUNTY ROAD COMMISSION IS ADVISING MOTORISTS TO STAY OFF
          ALL ROADS TO ALLOW ROAD CREWS TO ASSIST STRANDED MOTORISTS.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Where’s that tool Jacko?

15. Paul says:

What a terrible year to be stuck down here in Florida! I’m missing all the beautiful snow! Please post pictures and lots of them. Can this winter rival that of 1978 and a couple of the early 1980 winters? Can somebody update me on the total snow accumulations that you have received so far this winter? Are you over 60 or 70 inches of snow, yet? I MISS it!

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

This is nothing like 1978 – not even close. I was there.
      And you’re nuts to be ‘missing’ any of this crap.

1. Jesse (Zeeland) says:

Ya somehow 36 years starts to cloud people’s memory and make the stories a bit more exciting!

1. Paul (Ft. Myers, FL) says:

Nothing like? Is it worse? Not as bad? I don’t remember ever seeing such prolong arctic air and temperatures along with the vast amount of snow you have received. I see that the Detroit area (where I grew up and remember shoveling that beautiful white stuff during the back to back snowstorms of 1978) is close to their record of the snowiest January on history. I think it’s like 29 inches in January 1978. I can remember those storms like yesterday and I remember cold (upper 20′s to low 30′s) but nothing like you are having now.

2. Jesse (Zeeland) says:

Well over 70 inches in the Holland/zeeland area. Depending on how much GR received yesterday they should be just over 60 inches.

1. Paul (Ft. Myers, FL) says:

It must look so beautiful! I tell you what, after a harsh winter like that it really should make everybody respect spring and summer this year!

16. Nicole (Otsego) says:

About 2″+ here in Otsego (Alamo Township) and still coming down at a pretty good clip, have a feeling by tomorrow morning we will be at 4″+ if not by early afternoon. wish I could actually enjoy the snow, instead of having to travel 30+ miles one way to work everyday :( if everyone would slow down while driving in these conditions I think I would actually enjoy the slow drive home, but there’s too many ‘I’m a professional’ drivers out there going to fast for conditions that ruin it for the rest of us. Have almost been hit head on 3 times since December. Slow the hell down people, it’s not worth the headache! Ok, end rant… LOL!

17. Brad says:

If the eight-day forecast holds we’ll see 8/10 days in the teens, which is pretty impressive. NWS has cut off access to pre-2009 data but even January 2009 (-4.9F) did not see sustained <20F highs.

18. Brian (Grandville) says:

Finally got power back. It got down to 52* inside, borderline stay or go. I see we have a winter storm watch for Friday now. That could get ugly.

19. Wswplz says:

So I just got back from holland area, and I’m pretty much speechless. The snow was falling at an incredible rate, I took a bunch of video on my phone which I hope turns out well. After I edit it I will post it. I saw close to 12″ of snow fall personally from 12:30 to about for 4:00am, and then it finally let up a bit. Other than synoptic snow in the mountains at ski resorts, I haven’t seen it snow quite like that. Now I’m going to compare what little we do get to that. Lol

1. Wswplz says:

This fluffy snow is going to blow everywhere if we end up getting the forecasted wind. I’m pretty sure beach counties will be under blizzard conditions, if not, near white out conditions for sure. The roads were getting almost impassible for those without 4 wheel drive in some places, it was a blast for me seeing snow going over my hood at times. I could watch snow come down for hours on end, so peaceful.