WINTER STORM WARNING!!

January 23rd, 2014 at 3:38 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

advisory     A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for the Lakeshore Counties and the next set of counties inland (inc. Kent, Kalamazoo, Barry, Newaygo and Lake) until 7 am Saturday.  It’s a Winter Weather Advisory for the rest of the area counties.   There is a Wind Chill Advisory for the entire area for the day today (Fri.).   GRR NWS says “WHITE OUT CONDITIONS WITH LITTLE TO NO VISIBILITY ARE EXPECTED. WORST CONDITIONS AFTER SUNSET FRIDAY.”  We are expecting 3-6″ of new snow along with considerable blowing and drifting and wind chill temperatures as cold as -10 to -25.   We’re planning team coverage thru the event.  Read the GRR NWS discussion.   BTW – it’s snowing tonight all the way down to Lake Charles, LA.

From WNDU:  10-vehicle/4-truck crash in Berrien Co. on I-94 -  “Police reported four people were hurt, including two children who were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries…”  An eastbound multi-vehicle crash in the same area had closed that side of the highway earlier in the day.  “It just gets to the point where conditions are not safe enough for people to drive down the road,” Lt. Dawson (MSP) said.   Lt. Dawson explained that the salt and abrasives on the roadways are unable to melt the ice hiding beneath a fresh layer of snow, “when people don’t slow down their speed, they crash.”

Three fatalities (including a couple from Grand Rapids) and at least 20 injured in the multi-vehicle crash on eastbound I-94 at Michigan City, Indiana.  At least 15 trucks were involved and approximately 15 cars.  More video.

Also, some models predicting some snow for N. Florida and a significant snowstorm for the Georgia and Carolina coasts!

243 Responses to “WINTER STORM WARNING!!”

Tracking that snow it’s moving in fast going to be a short blast!! Then Sunday we get 6 more inches who would of thought winter till April Stay tuned!! INDYY…

2. Schools south of here I assume are closing due to wind chills?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

That you are correct Kyle! More schools I am sure will come in tonight, I wouldn’t expect the schools in this area to call off until tomorrow

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Many many school had exams this week (including me) so the school list probably won’t be as long as you’d think. I guess its a good thing I have tomorrow off because my school won’t be charged with a snow day :)

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Also the lakeshore is going to be well above zero tonight so I think most schools there will still be open. Its once you head out here where it will be too cold.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Doesn’t matter on the actual temp, matters on wind chill this area closes because of wind chills -15 to -20 below so I wouldn’t say that quite yet Nathan, I think it will be determined in the morning

3. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

NWS is anticipating a low of 6 for you with wind chills of -12… so its going to be a close call. GR will likely be -3 with wind chills of -14, so a 9 degree difference in temperature with a 2 degree difference in wind chill. huh? Maybe we shouldn’t rely on them for this information.

2. Paul M says:

Yes! Remember the 2 days the kids got off after Christmas break was due to wind chill.

1. Brett says:

I think most schools in Kent will close due to the cold

This was in conjunction with SNOW! GR will not have any SNOW at all till near the end of the school day!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Those two days were not because of snow Rocky they were because of the cold weather, the whole state was closed those two days

Mark it down – schools in Kent County will be open on Friday!

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

I’m not denying that schools will be open but cold is cold and conditions will really deteriorate as kids are at school and by time school let’s out that might be a nightmare trying to get the kids home

The temperature in GR at 6:00 AM will be about 3 degrees and the wind chill will be around -10 to -15 degrees. This is no where near the threshold for closing schools! Most schools will stay open unless the windchill gets down closer to -25 to -30 degrees! Mark it down people!

I would tend to agree with that threshold. My kids don’t have recess if the wind chill is -10 or below, but they’re still at school.

4. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Nice lake band moving through.

5. Paul M says:

All school in the winter storm warning will be closed Friday.cant bus kids home in whiteout conditions

6. Paul M says:

We shall see – I see no whiteout conditions in Kent County till after 4:00 PM or so!

1. Carrie (Byron Center) says:

I agree Rocky….according to NWS the worst will hit after sunset.

7. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

Temp already down to -1 here dropped 7 degrees the last hour!!

8. Theresa says:

As Nathan said, Forest Hills is already closed tomorrow for end of semester grading. How many other school districts are already closed tomorrow for this reason?

Getting light snow out thee YARDofBRICKS!! INDYY….

” BLACK COFFEE ” For Me Right NOW…. Waiting to Rack,stack,Smack All Night Long !! IWS, RDB, JEM says CUE” HUMPLE PIE”"”" Black Coffee ::::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC7-y3BoyWo. ;-) . Bring on a Blizzardddddd !!! ;-) . Coming. Soon to a Window NEAR YOU !!! Who Knew ……hmmmmmm. ;-)

11. ~Sherry~ (Comstock Park) says:

So is the snow still supposed to come later tomorrow? Looks like we might get some before that.

I’m actually getting light to moderate snow right now with the weakening lake band. Not expecting to much overnight though.

Ohhh sherry is ready!!!! Winter storm starts about 11am Say Tuned Ohh Sherry!!INDYY….

Not a whole lot Happening In The Good Old U.S.A. !!! Right NOW …STAY CUED :::::
    Base Reflectivity
    Full resolution version (3400×1700 pixels – 220k)
    Time of image: 0138 UTC 01/24/2014

Down to -3 already in A2.

15. ER From GR says:

Catch your nose, and rub your feet together….ITS GOING TO BE A COLD ONE!!! A GREAT DAY FOR WINTER CLEANING, SEARCHING FOR HEAD LICE, OR SCRUBBING AUNTIE EDNA’S BUNYONS!!!!!! THE BLIZZARD OF 2014 IS UPON US!!! GODSPEED!!! STAY TUNED/STAY ALIVE!!!! (this message is sponsored by the IWS!!! IWS is not responsible for negative views surrounding frigid cold temperatures. IWS is not responsible for bursting water mains, IWS is not responsible for annoying children home all day on a snow day. IWS member FDIC)

16. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Quick NWS update says wind chills may not be quite as low as expected with westerly flow and lake effect cloud cover tonight (or at least for the moment). They state it could still get within a few degrees of -20 on the wind chill scale western of US 131 with colder wind chills as you head inland east of US 131. Im anticipating about a 10 degree difference because of the lake. Lakeshore could be in the single digits, 131 may be around or just below zero, and further inland will be cold!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Just an FYI… I didn’t feel like proofreading my comment and I am highly aware of the typos, so don’t mention it! I typically read over them so I can make my point across, but Im pretty lazy right now lol Anyways, point is that wind chills will likely be affected by the lake with the coldest spots to the east.

17. Getting moderate snow here right now

Winds out of the west now!! INDYY

ER from GR is ready!!! INDYY

We had a wind chill of -15 earlier this week. The closing of schools was never even considered. They just keep the kids inside for recess.

When I pick up my youngest, and my kindergartner is about to go to recess, I’ve heard on the intercom more than once that recess will be inside. I’ve heard more than once from the recess police their displeasure that they aren’t going outside. What is that, it’s cold as hell out. I wouldn’t want my young ones out there in that, but you have a problem with that. Come on now.

1. Mark says:

“Recess police”??

With Drones ?? Lol…

The teachers/helpers that are assigned to go out with them. I just made that up.

I never said I had a problem with anything.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

That was not in response to you Mark, but the teaching staff. It was a loaded question?

Ah, my misunderstanding.

3. Lisa says:

I am a recess supervisor. If kids were dressed for the weather, they would be fine. It is amazing to me how dressing in layers helps you stay warm. Those kids need to RUN! In Alaska, they dress for the weather and go outside in weather way colder than here.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Maybe I’m beeing over pretective of my little ones then. I love getting them outside, but not when its to cold to enhoy it .

20. Lovely Snow says:

The wind chill of -15 earlier in the week was not a sustained wind chill. Therein lies the difference.

And you know this how? How was it not sustained? It wasn’t fluctuating. The air temperature was sub-zero with very little wind.

The Sunday clipper is looking quite healthy on the latest 00Z NAM.

1. ER From GR says:

post a link please

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Looks a lot further north than previous runs.

Just took Out the Trash Here N.E.Gr. ! Lite 2 Moderate ” Small Flake SUGAR SNOW Falling” ! Darn Cold as well the Snow was Crunching as I Walked !! Burr …stay Cued & And WARM …. Y’all !!! ;-)

23. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Fox 17 computer model is showing wind gusts up to 55 mph near the lakeshore at 6pm tomorrow.

1. If that’s the case rural roads will likely become impassable due to drifting

How much snow did you get yesterday/overnight?

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

I got about 7″ total…the heaviest band was just north.

24. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

Temp is still dropping here down to -7

25. -3.0 with a wind chill of -12

26. This makes the 9th below zero day this month and #10 will likely come at midnight

27. yooper4021 says:

-15 in Grayling and -18 in Pellston at 10pm. Lots of 20+ below zero wind chills up north.

28. John (Norton Shores) says:

Winds are really increasing here now, 15mph winds at this time, had 7mph just an hour ago, and by time day break comes tomorrow winds could be 20-30mph!

29. John (Norton Shores) says:

Hastings is closed tomorrow, just south of kent county

The temp is up to 12° here it was down to 6° earlier. There is light snow falling with that 12° temp. We will have to see how this plays out tomorrow and tomorrow night. If the winds are as strong as indicated and if we can squeeze out several inches of snow driving tomorrow night might be difficult. I am not sure if I am buying the whole set up as of yet. Will see how things look in the morning.
    Slimjim

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

How are you not buying the event? Look at those winds just west of us and the snow to go along with it! We are sure to get this event

The winds I believe, its the snow amounts I not real sure about. In fact the winds could be higher then forecasted and yes with just the winds we could be issued a Blizzard warning.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Yeah we should have been issued a blizzard warning a long time ago

BTW channel 13 gave a weekend total of just under 7″ for GR and around 8″ for the most snow for BOTH tomorrow and Sunday’s events. George L thinks that more snow will fall on Sunday then tomorrow. we shall see.

32. Wolverdog says:

Two pairs of jets just flew over at about 2500 feet (S. Kzoo county) as I was letting dog out. Heading towards Chicago. Lights went dark as they were moving away. Not clouds, could stll see the stars.

33. Matt(OceanaCo) says:

It’s all going to stay north of us!!!! What a big let down!!!! :(

1. Cort S. says:

Most of the latest models disagree with that wholeheartedly. Friday night will be the main impact time for everyone in W. Mich.

Happy FRYday ! A little Weather History to Start Your…”Fry”day. On January 24 in Southwest Lower Michigan…

1/24/1967
    A huge storm is gathering over the Plains States. Out ahead of it, strong southerly breezes bring record warmth to Lower Michigan. Lansing soars to 66 degrees, the warmest on record for the month of January. Stay CUED!! ;-)

35. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It’s snowed harder tonight than it has in the past week and a half. 2″ in the past 4 hours. I measured 23″ on our deck.

36. Dan says:

Where did everybody go? Is this blog working correctly? Hello Hello is this thing on? Cold and blowing snow here at 56th and Byron Center rd. Werceived about an inch or two winds are moderately blowing and it is snowing lightly! Very Cold temp at 1 or 2 degrees.

37. Dan says: