Great Weekend for Winter Sports

February 7th, 2014 at 8:21 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Snow - Blandford Nature Center - Harvey Alley   This is the Blandford Nature Center (taken today) on the NW side of G.R.  Click on the picture to enlarge.  The picture was taken by ace harmonica player and the man who took the pictures at my wedding nearly 36 years ago, Harvey Alley.   We had 23″ of snow officially on the ground Friday AM in Grand Rapids.  That’s the most since 1979 and only 4″ below the record snow depth for Grand Rapids set after the Blizzard of ’78.   Friday, we got another 1/2″ of snow at the Ford Airport in G.R., pushing our seasons snow total to 90.1″.   Muskegon is up to 103.6″ and Lansing to 49.4″.  Kalamazoo has had 85.9″ for the season, and WMU (Dr. Bob Ruhf) reports 24″ of snow on the ground.   Holland is up to 111.3″ for the season.    You can see the difference Lake Michigan still makes.  Low temperatures Friday morning ranged from +9 in Grand Rapids to -1 in Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo has been down to zero or colder ten times since Jan. 1)  to -9 in Sturgis where the west wind was not coming over open water.    Angola, Indiana (just south of the Michigan border) has been to 0° or colder 19 times since Jan. 1.   Grand Rapids has had only one day warmer than average (barely) in the last three weeks.   The first week of February has been 9.5° colder than average in G.R. and 11.9° in Kalamazoo.   Grand Rapids has now had at least a trace of snowfall for 17 consecutive days.

Model Snowfall Forecasts for Sat. PM thru Sun. AM…first number is NAM (car.), second is GFS (car.):  Grand Rapids 1.3″, 1.4″, Lansing 12.0″, 1.5″, Muskegon 1.3″, 4.7″, Kalamazoo 1.6″ 1.8″ (and 0.6″ Monday), Jackson 1.1″, 1.8″, Pontiac 0.8″, 2.1″, Big Rapids 0.6″, 1.2″, Mt. Pleasant 0.4″, 1.4″, Cadillac 0.2″, 1.8″, Ludington 1.3″, 4.8″, Holland and S. Haven both get 1.7″ off the NAM (not run on the GFS (car.).  You can see the GFS forecasting some lake-enhancement for Muskegon and Ludington.  The European model has .04″ precip. Saturday for G.R., .02″ Sat. night and another .02 Sunday – that’s .08″ total or maybe an inch and a half.    The European also has some lake-enhancement with Ludington getting a total of 0.19″ between Sat. PM and Tues. AM – that would mostly likely be 3-4″ spread out over a long time.  Muskegon gets 0.18″ over the same period of time.     No really big storms this week.  The GFS continues to have Thursday the warmest (around 33°) and the European has Friday the day reaching the low 30s.  Nothing warm in the next week, but the European takes the G.R. temperature to 43 on the 17th along with some rain.  The GFS also would have some rain then, but temperatures stay in the 30s.

Here’s photos of the Parade of Nations at the Olympics.   Here’s one of my favorite Olympic moments and another.  Here’s the forecast for Sochi for the next week.  This is down at the lower elevations, where they have palm trees and high temperatures average around 50 in early February.  They have snow up in the mountains where it is colder, but they have many sunny days in winter, too.   67% of the Lower 48 states had a snow cover Friday morning!   Wow, barometer reading in Dublin, Ireland goes to 28.23″ with a deep low pressure system overhead.

223 Responses to “Great Weekend for Winter Sports”

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The snowshowers this morning have finally ended. It looks like more is on the way soon! What a surprise.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

GFS continues to show a big rainstorm around the 20th, looks like flooding could start early this year, something to watch over the next few days, could it be a big snowstorm, ice storm or rainstorm? That’s what we have to watch over the next few days to see how that storm shapes out

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

It has some major cold coming in behind the warm and rainy weather though

1. John (Grand Rapids) says:

Lots of ice too then… that could create some serious issues. Flooding + Very Cold = Disaster

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Or flooding + cold= flash freeze

3. Dan says:

Links and data please to support the warm up and end of winter. They have hinted about a warm up for bettet than a month, it did NOT happen. I’m saying you are wrong just saying wr are better than 10 days away . Not a lot of reliability that far out. We shall see. I’m not buying it yet. Winter hangs on through March!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I sure hope I’m wrong, I do not want a rapid warm up with a rainstorm because it will lead to flash flooding, I would rather a slow gradual warm up into April than a rapid warm up with lots of rain

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

It doesn’t have a massive warm up or flooding rain storm. 40 degrees with light rain for a day.

4. Dan says:

lots of typos in my post. Should say I’m not saying that you are wrong.

5. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

So if flooding is a concern,what was it like during the springs of 1978 and 79? Time to go haul more truck loads of wood into the garage. Have 22° here with light snow.

6. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

So far here in the woods…. 101.5″ season snowfall……24.5″ on the ground….liquid equivalent is 5.40″…..

7. Sandi says:

Hey Bill I know Harvey. Used to go to same church. Um my Mom always said if you can’t say anything nice, you shouldn’t say anything at all. Hehehe regarding our weather. Seriously this winter has been brutal. Recommend everyone clear snow from dryer vent and roof bathroom vents.

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks for the heads up…especially the bathroom vents, wheew that could be a slow but painful death..lol. No really, jokes aside thanks…

32 hours of snow still falling 67 days with now on the ground 35 more to go it’s all about numbers today folks facts no dry about it!! on my dirty 30 again and again and again and again….What a bad winter right Bill?? INDYY//

1. Wswplz says:

Down and dirty, with your good old friend Ms. 30. And we all know she is a dirty birdy…cold hard facts!! Lol

9. Wswplz says:

Looks like we are going to get some pure LES after all Sunday and Monday to start off the week with a north west flow and maybe 2-4″ during that time. It seems not to much action in the middle of the week, with somewhat moderating temps briefly….Thursday talks about a clipper and also possibly Saturday as well with decent accums…so basically status quo..! In other words more snow is on the way…

How is that possible? More SNOW AND COLD!

1. Wswplz says:

Keep the snow coming, everything is just bit better…it’s really quite impressive when you drive around and see the amount of snow that is everywhere you turn….you recognize where you are, but then again it just seems as if your on the moon or something…pretty cool

10. John (Norton Shores) says:

Back at home in Arkansas they are under a winter storm watch for 2-4″ of snow

+ one trillion!

Just read it. They’re forecasting 3-5″, which could triple their total snowfall for the season.

*double

11. scott says:

snowing quite hard in Hamilton

12. Chip Byrd says:

A steady snow in North Holland. I just went out and the roads weren’t very good.

Snowing Fairly Heavy, Here Now!! ( N.E. gr.) ,,,,,, Just about a Mile& a half from THEEE YardofBRICKS…….stay cued.. ;-)

Lets review – today’s temps in the teens, with light wind and light SNOW. Combine that weather with the trial conditions and what do get? Heaven on Earth! Let me describe the weather this weekend along with perfect trail conditions! OUTSTANDING, PERFECT, INCREDIBLE, AMAZING, FANTASTIC, GREAT, AWESOME and ROCKING!

It is pretty funny to hear all the chatter about warm temps and rain that will be hitting West MI soon! Ya right! Every time I check the CPC long range probabilities it just keeps saying COLDER than average with a lot of SNOW! Who knew? I don’t see how SNOW lovers wouldn’t love the latest CPC update!

And the 8 to 14 day outlook is just about as good. COLD and SNOW is on the way people! Face the facts and get used to it!

1. GB says:

Good to see your mom let you back on the Internet

17. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

Someone here called Bill Steffen a “weatherman”. That is not proper.

From what I understand, weathermen simply report on the weather. For example, I read of someone stopping at a general store in a small town. He saw an old man outside, sitting on the steps, dangling a piece of rope from his hand.

The visitor asked the old man what he was doing.

The old man said that the rope was a weather indicator. When asked to explain, the old man said that when the rope was swinging, it was windy. And when it was wet, it was raining.

So the old man was a weatherman. At least as I understand it.

(Nor do I think that Bill Steffen was a member of The Weathermen, the 1960′s radical group. That *would* make him a Weatherman.)

Now, until only recently, I used to think that meteorologists were experts on meteors. Doesn’t that sound logical? Then I accidentally ran across the Wikipedia article on Meteorology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorology

Boy, was I wrong. It was kind of like calling sub-atomic physicists who specialize in quantum mechanics…”mechanics”.

So, anyways, Bill is a meteorologist, not a weatherman.

And he probably doesn’t know jack about meteors. So I don’t know why I’m here.

1. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

Oh, and one more thing. I don’t want to be impolite, but I think that Bill’s wife is something of a clown. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152253401630054&set=a.10150274594690054.492596.564345053&type=1&permPage=1

(Heh, great pic, Bill.)

The best thing about this winters weather is the COLD temperatures. We have only had one stretch of above freezing temps, so very little of the SNOW has melted! Lets bring on another Polar Vortex baby! Best WINTER ever! I am sure that it has been seasonal in Flint however!

I Posted this Once Before awhile EARLIER This Winter. Nice Read about What to Feed ROBINS in The Winter . !! http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/Food_Winter.html. It’s Still a Tough Winter for all OUR FEATHERED FRIENDS !!! Stay Cued !

1. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

Jack – thanks for the info on the robins :)

20. Uncle Sparkee says:

Your ol uncle sparkee just finished a nice med refer, and it made ponder some crazy thoughts. What if all this snow melted in fifteen minutes. Tokes is a great blood hound is a tracking machine, but he’s not a huge swimmer and your ol aunty Edna has a lame hip.

Uncle Sparkee…..Dont Be Sooooo ” Paranoid” !! Smoke another 1, and Relax My Friend. The Good Lord Has got The Whole World in HIS HANDS !!! Yup,, I’ll SMOKE To That !! Stay Cued….& Medicated !! PEACE ! See ya Soon , with nepu INDY!! ;-)

21. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

Aaah, I just read the posts on how womenfolk temper the tone of these comments.

I agree. If it weren’t for women, there would be no civilization. They make us menfolks behave ourselves.

“Misbehave, no candy.”

1. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

“Lonely feeling, deep inside
        Find a corner where I can hide
        Silent footsteps, crowding me
        Sudden darkness, but I can see…

“No sugar tonight in my coffee
        No sugar tonight in my tea

“In the silence of her mind
        Quiet movements where I can find
        Grabbing for me with her eyes
        Now I’m falling from her skies

“No sugar tonight in my coffee
        No sugar tonight in my tea”

- the Guess Who

One might say that I was very successful with them.

But I still, at 66 years, still find women, all women, a very, very sweet mystery.

A joy.

They help to civilize us.

Current conditions – 16 degrees with light to moderate SNOW! I am not sure how it could be any better, unless we were in the middle of a raging blizzard!

23. Uncle Sparkee says:

If it did melt in fifteen minutes, would we grow gills and fins and adapt to a hydroponic type of world. Would ever run to the mountain tops. No way could I live on a mountain with all you city hobos. The world I live in is green and happy. Not dark and in back allies like you hobos.

24. mk says:

Hey Rocky you love the outdoors right? Why don’t you care about the deer herd.

1. Michael g (se gr) says:

Hey mk, if Rocky did care about the deer herd (and I’m not saying he doesn’t), would that help the deer in some way?

+ one trillion!

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

I’ m sure he does care, and I do too. At the same time we both love winter weather and outdoor sports, and so do a lot more of us on here. There is honestly nothing we can do to change the climate to protect the wildlife. I dont think to many of us want to see the deer herd in danger due to the weather. There is simlpy nothing we can do to stop it.

+ one trillion!

Get out there and start feeding the herd in your area!

1. GB says:

First good post. Keep them coming little guy.

Two million or so deer in Michigan. Considering there were less than 20k 100 years ago, I’m guessing the herd will survive. More will probably die from car impacts than the snow.

25. Dan says:

Snowing pretty good here. Location 44th and Byron Center. Its cold , I’d guess 14 degrees. Winter rolls on!

26. Dan says:

Long term has what looks like a decent amount of snow for Saturday. Then, LES? We are supposed to get to freezing for a few hours on Thursday. I’m not buying that. There is 3 feet of snow on the ground! We shall see right……new season snowfall total? 93 or 94 inches?

27. mk says:

No Dan it wouldn’t. Just saying we got more than enough snow for any activity. Yet some want more more more!! I don’t get it

If you went snowmobiling or were a skier you would get it. All of the people on here that are always complaining about the COLD and SNOW need to take up a winter sport! What a concept! Who knew?

1. mk says:

You have triple what you need. I have snow mobiles for years, off the trail your guided!

Speaking of sounding drunk! You might want to stay off the sauce!

28. Dan says:

Love this and can keep it going. It will eventually warm up so lets enjoy it!

29. mk says:

You sound little tipsy?

30. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The snow piles are starting to get so tall that I can’t even see around the corner of the street when I need to turn! It’s pretty cool but we really need some of it to melt.

31. mk says:

Safety can’t stand in the way of more snow, bring it!!!!

Get out there and start lowing the snow piles! Get to work if you don’t like it!

More COLD and SNOW is on the way! Keep it coming!

1. mk says:

Thank you?

No problem – anytime I can help just let me know!

33. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Remember when we were in that drought a couple summers ago? It looked like there would be little hope and all of the storm systems were dissipating over us because the air was too dry… then March 2013 came and everything changed lol. This is no ordinary winter and I feel like many older folks (who are very nice!) are saying that this is like an old time winter. Ill tell you right now… it is not! Sure, it can be compared to a few 1970 winters… but thats about it. Near record ice on the Great Lakes, -10 degrees from average, and soon to be the top 5 snowiest winter.

1. Wswplz says:

Nathan I think the ” older folks ” probably know what they have experience and can recollect what past winters were like and how this one compares to others. This winter is definitely unique and by no means normal. Maybe I’m not fully understanding what you are trying to say. This is the most intense winter that I have experienced in my lifetime that is for certain. Not the most snow by a long shot, but as for the snow and persistent cold together it is.

1. Wswplz says:

* I should qualify my statement in that I did not experience the “old Michigan winters ” just what I’ve heard and read.

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

When they say the winters were worse, I don’t argue with that… But I need data for proof. I know some were bad, but how many could have been worse than this?

34. mk says:

Rocky wants more! Needs 5 feet deep for snow mobile,who knew?

What can u say I am going to have Bill over to thee YARDofBRICKS this summer so we can have some sprites under the moon light!! If we ever melt this snow!! If only snow was money fixer would not be on Bills blog he will have fixer poles all around the world!! From drinking them sprites ton ight with about 56.8* inches of snow on the ground all around town!!! INDYY……………….

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Lol

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

It just confuses me why they would list reports that obviously aren’t accurate. Only 35 inches in Montague for the season? They got 18 inches alone from a convergence band around Christmas! I highly, highly, highly doubt they have only picked up 17 inches the rest of the winter. Why list it?

1. Michelle ( comstock park) says:

I thought the same thing. They have Comstock Park as 74.5 while GRR and Walker have much more. And GR is 2-3 miles away? huh?

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Haha…check out the difference in Holland’s totals. I know Lake effect hits in bands, but that would be some pretty consistent banding over the SAME area the whole winter! Usually different areas get hit throughout the winter to balance out totals in the area. Now, if we lived east of Lake Ontario in New York, I could see a 50 inch difference across a small area or county…but not here.

36. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

The GFS from 18Z seems to be impressed with lake effect: http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

It actually looks like at least half of that comes with the system on Thursday…which could definitely be enhanced by SW flow.

37. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Hey guys! Grand Rapids is on the home page of Weather.com! The panel talks about the snow depth.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says: