Lake Michigan Warming Lower Michigan

February 11th, 2014 at 6:49 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

low temps suny   This is the low temperature map from this morning.  Click on the image to enlarge.  These are the lows as of 7 am EST, which is before sunrise, so some weather stations would have been colder than the readings on this map.  You can really see how Lake Michigan was warming Lower Michigan last night.   With a west wind providing lake warming and lake-effect clouds, Grand Rapids had a low of +5°.  Across Lake Michigan in Wisconsin,  it was -17° at Green Bay and -12° at Kenosha.  Wisconsin’s coldest was -29° at Land ‘O Lakes.  In NE Illinois, the temperature dropped to -10° at the Chicago Botanic Gardens just north of Chicago.  Rockford bottomed out at -21°, breaking a daily record by 9 degrees.  It was also -21° at Kankakee and -20° at Joliet.  Farther west, the low was -22° in Moline IL and a frigid -24° at Waterloo, Iowa.  There were double-digit below zero temperatures in Central Illinois at Lincoln (-16°), Peoria (-13°) and Springfield (-13°).  The coldest reading in Illinois was -26° at both Rochelle and Watseka.  Indiana was shiverin’ this morning, with lows of -17° at Lafayette and -16° at Fort Wayne (breaking the daily low temperature record by 10 degrees).  Detroit with the clouds and west wind was 26 degrees warmer than Fort Wayne.   It was also cold in northern Lower Michigan, where Lake Superior and northern Lake Michigan are 95% frozen over.  Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula bottomed out at -11° and Marquette reached -23°, the coldest reading in 10 years.  In Northern Lower Michigan, Gaylord dipped to -22° and Pellston reached -26°.   So, thank you Lake Michigan for releasing a bit of that stored warmth from last summer and making the early morning here in West Michigan a little less frigid.

54 Responses to “Lake Michigan Warming Lower Michigan”

1. Wswplz says:

I don’t know why Rockford / Cedar Springs didn’t get the record during our last cold event….many reports of -21 and I had -23 here in Cedar….who officially calls in that number, especially in small towns…just curious

1. Wswplz says:

Lol..anyways I see Rockford IL, but my question still remains..

86% ice coverage on the great lake!!! Crazy! 2nd highest in satellite era.

1. Tim from Zeeland says:

I think it might reach the low 90% coverage. For it to go much more than that would be very hard to see. Still great to see we can still have hard winters.

+ one billion, trillion, gazillion!

I think it is going to be a cold one over here tonight. Already down to 7° and its clear and calm.

1. DJ2450 says:

Same here in Gratiot Co. Down to 2 degrees now. Thinking maybe this may be the last below 0 night this season. I said, maybe.

It is way past due to end. I lost count of negative days in A2.

Lots of snow from G.R. all the way down to Three Rivers today. There are snow banks higher than I could of ever imagined on the west side of 131 south of Schoolcraft.

1. Wswplz says:

Yes they are huge in many places west of 131…I still have some cool video driving through the snow drifts during a few of our storms…maybe I can send to Bill and he can post it…we’re they 20 foot plus there??

More like 15 foot tall, still never seen anything like it. I emailed Bill some pics yesterday. I’ll let you know if I see them on the blog.

1. Wswplz says:

I have seen some pretty close to twenty, not for a long distance, but at its peak…have not been that far south however..

2. Wswplz says:

Ya let me know if he posts them

5. Wswplz says:

Here is an interesting fact for Grand Rapids… In February the number of days with snowfall > 3″ is only 1.7…and just a little over 7 days in a year do we get greater than 3 inches…just found that to be interesting….so when will we surpass the century mark for the season??

1. Wswplz says:

Also our second highest daily snowfall on record was in the month of March at 13.6″ so it’s possible for us to still get a big daddy snow storm so to speak, with 45+ days still to come….

I remember the 13.6″ snowfall. It was the first winter I was here at WOOD-TV. The snow started after midnight and ended before midnight, so it was all in a calendar day and it just snowed all day. It was a pretty wet snow and hard to shovel off. I remember driving the Weather Bug Volkswagen we used to have and it got thru the snow just fine, with lots of scraping the bottom.

1. Wswplz says:

Bills Beatle bug pushing through the snow….probably helped that the car was so light and what weight it did have was over the drive wheels..sounds like fun times!

6. John (Norton Shores) says:

Really hate how they keep redoing these news websites, WZZM’s site changed and it’s so confusing!

Agreed and I can not even find the detailed daily written forecast. They used to do a good job with the wind forecast for each 12 hour period for about three days out. I wish storm team 8 would do a better job with specific wind forecasts!

1. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

It looks like WZZM gave up on its 10 day forecast, at least on the web site. It was proven to not be very accurate at all.

7. YeahThatDan says:

Wow! That is, some cold! I think, it is still winter. Tomkap like it or not the cold and snow are here! For a while. Could we see, 50 degrees soon? I think, around Match 10. Get out your sleds kids! Enjoy, this winter.

8. YeahThatDan says:

*March

9. John (Norton Shores) says:

Acculess weather is predicting 2.5″ of ice (yes ICE) accumulation for portions of south Carolina and it would be freezing rain accumulation not sleet, that would the a historic ice storm that nobody has even seen it that much falls, people would be without power for weeks

That’s a ridiculous amount of ice. And by ridiculous I mean they will never receive that amount of ice.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Yep exactly, I don’t know why acculess weather thinks that’s how much they will receive

Maybe a typo on their part?

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

I don’t think it’s a typo they even had a map, I think some of it will be sleet mixed in

10. Dan says:

That is a very serious situation in Atlanta and South Carolina!

It is nice to see the SNOWFALL maps going in the right direction again. Bring that heavy SNOW line down about 100 miles. SNOW SNOW SNOW!!!

1. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

It needs to come down 100 miles; otherwise that’s not much snow for 16 days out.

12. Cort S. says:

NWS Peachtree City is going with 2/3 inch ice for southern Atlanta followed by 2″ snow. I-20 in eastern GA could see at least an inch of freezing rain.

NWS Columbia agrees with the potential for an inch of freezing rain.

1. Wswplz says:

When reading some of the forecasts in Georgia it looks to be a tall order for the NWS: as there will be temp variance and how little the margin of change can effect the weather outcome tremendously…I would not want the task of putting all that data together….in times like these one can really appreciate it for the art that it is…. Btw Cort, thanks for the explanation earlier.

1. Cort S. says:

No problem!

Forecasting mixed precip events really make you want to pull your hair out. Might explain why so many meteorologists are bald.

NWS Peachtree City says they’ll be doing a special weather balloon launch tonight to see how the depth and temperatures in wedge of cold low-level air + the nose of warm air are changing.

13. mk says:

Get those snow shoes waxed up Rocky.

Oh they are ready. I have been skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing all winter long! The best WINTER EVER is still unfolding as we speak!

1. GB says:

Is rooting for winter like rooting for the Lions? In the end you lose every year.

14. yooper4021 says:

Just back from Pando Park, tubing with the kids. Great fun! But I can’t feel my face or feet. Nothing a little hot coffee won’t fix.

15. Cort S. says:

Here is the data from the NWS Peachtree City’s latest weather balloon:

16. Barb says:

Interesting that the ski resorts in Colorado are so desperate that they’re cloud seeding to make snow. There’s a serious water shortage out west.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

I’ve heard of this. Does it really work? Can we as humans actually create weather?

1. Cort S. says:

Cloud seeding works, but only when mother nature meets you halfway. You need a cloud of supercooled liquid water to exist so that you can coax the glaciation process into starting, then ice crystals grow at the expense of cloud droplets and fall out of the cloud.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Is elevation a factor, I have only heard of this being done out west.

2. Cort S. says:

Not necessarily elevation. Out west tends to be a little drier and can benefit more from increased precip… mountains tend to produce clouds suitable for seeding in the winter… and during the warm season, agriculture in the High Plains can benefit from increased rainfall and suppressed hailstone size from thunderstorms. The more moist eastern US usually doesn’t need as much help with those things.

Here’s the latest Western Ski Report (8 days old): http://www.snowpak.com/news/snowreports.html Looks like Colorado has had about average snowfall. It’s California that’s hurtin’. The Great Lakes have been the big snow winners this year.

Hard to believe Mammoth Mt. has only had 41″ this season, that’s amazing. I’m use to seeing web cams out there where everything is completely buried.

2. Wswplz says:

Although I did most of my skiing in norther Ca at such resorts as Squaw Valley, Alpine , and Heavenly in South Lake Tahoe ( gorgeous btw ) i lived in souther Ca as well. I’m not sure but I think it was the winter of 2010-11 that Mammoth had around 675 inches of snow that year, and at some time was the snowiest place on earth that year. Far cry from the little percip they have had so far this year….I remember driving through carved out roads near the resort with 40 foot walls on both sides….crazy. If you get a chance look up Mammoth, they used have some awesome pictures of the snow…I’m sure they still do, just not from this year.

Here’s where you can see the snowfall history of Mammoth Mountain in California. They’re at 92.5″ for the winter season, about the same as G.R. The least snowfall in a winter at Mammoth was 94″ in 1976-77. However, that year March was the snowiest month of the winter. They had 308″ last winter and the record was 668.5 in 2010-11.

2. Wswplz says:

Thanks for looking that up Bill, 668″ of snow is a ton…the skiing was incredible but just driving there was fun for me to see all that snow. I’ve seen some snowy winters working at Squaw, but it was impressive and always makes me stop and think how amazing the weather can be..especially when you leave the beach and 70 degree weather that same day..lol

17. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Lake Michigan shouldn’t be a factor tonight though with the southerly winds.

18. Mark (SE GR) says:

Throwing this out there: have we now had our final below 20-degree high temp of the season?

1. GB says:

Yup every day above 20 for the next 8 days then we are looking at averages closer to 40 so we would need -20 from average to keep it below 20.

19. Brian (Grandville) says:

Wolverine’s beat the tattoo artist’s tonight on the road.

20. Wswplz says:

Since you mentioned sports: Shawn White the 2 time Olympic gold metal champion failed to reach the podium tonight in men’s half pipe. He definitely had 2 bad runs, it wasn’t his night…. His amplitude on the pipe though was amazing…great qualifying run, but couldn’t put it down for all the chips…time for others to shine!! The guy from Michigan had a chance to metal as well, but I think the conditions got the best of him…they have been having temps in the mid 50′s and even up to 60 in Sochi, which has made for some tough conditions….not ideal for winter sports…we have been sucking up Russia’s cold air supply…lol