SNOWNADO??!!

February 11th, 2014 at 11:01 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Scary cloud - Allendale 2 11 14 Port Sheldon    Grand Rapids GVSU scary cloud 2 11 14Scary-looking cloud club - Derek DeLange 6 17 13 Click the images to enlarge.  The first two pictures were stills from our WOOD/GVSU skycams in Allendale (left) and Grand Rapids (center). No, it’s not a dreaded SNOWNADO spinning out angry polar bears. It’s the steam cloud rising from the Port Sheldon Power Plant. The clearing line was perfectly placed to make this look like a tornado. It’s about 26 miles west from G.R. to Port Sheldon, so we have a nice view from a good distance away. With our latest skycams now in Allendale, Jenison, Holland (Boatwerks) and in downtown G.R., we’ve got a good eye on storms coming in thru Ottawa County toward G.R. The picture on the right is my favorite local “scary, but harmless” cloud. This was taken by Derek DeLange of Rockford…an ominous shelf cloud that looks like a massive approaching tornado. Neither this cloud, nor the steam cloud from Port Sheldon was rotating. Remember, if it’s not rotating (at least 40 mph), it’s not dangerous.  If you’ve got a minute, check out the pics. at The Scary-Looking Cloud Club!

16 Responses to “SNOWNADO??!!”

1. Wswplz says:

I remember seeing that cloud from my house in Cedar Springs moving in, pretty fast moving cloud…seemed like it was just west of the 131 if it’s the one I’m remembering. The one I remember came across the lake moving east south east…

Temp. At Zero here now N.E. Gr. Brrrrrrrr…..

Just checked out Georgia Radar,,,all I can Say is ” Oh Atlanta” Spin,,, Little Feat ::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4aM4cgIIOY

1. Wswplz says:

Yes, now that is a proper storm…this storm is going to leave a mark…

1. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

Yeah, read this. It’s not pleasant. I’d hate to be living there and hear all this stuff.

1. Wswplz says:

Going to be a nasty storm…hope we don’t see one like this up hear again.

4. dlvs says:

are you sure that is from port sheldon? the power plant in Zeeland had a steam cloud like that last evening and most any other night also. Looks like the one I saw on my drive home last coming from the zeeland plant

Could be, they are both in the same direction. I have seen this from my house (I live on a hill and I’ve seen the smoke stack…but you’re right, it could have been Zeeland.

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

Yeah, pretty sure it’s Zeeland. We live on a hill looking west just 3 or 4 miles east of the Zeeland plant so we have a great view of it. There’s been a couple sunsets lately that look really cool right next to the monster steam cloud. We can see port sheldon as well, but that stack only puts out 1 smaller cloud.

I can’t post pictures here, but I just posted a pic on Bill’s Facebook page, of my thermometer reading 20 below at 7:30 this am. Wondering if my outdoor thermometer was accurate, I brought out our Kestrel (DF/other sailors would know about these!)- it’s a $300 handheld weather instrument and super-accurate. It bottomed out at 23.1 below zero, then came back up to -21.7

6. on the Grand says:

Use to live in Maryland, when a snow storm was approaching the road commission would send the trucks out 24 hrs before hand. The trucks would sit on the side of the road waiting for the snow, but in all fairness they were not use to snow. Storm there were strange, very little snow but horrible ice. We use to tie a long rope to the front door and throw it down to the street so the kids to get back into the house, not funny then but funny now. Memories. The kids would put on their skates and skate down the sidewalks. The kids put a shovel on the front of a wheelbarrow and went around cleanning out the neighbors driveway.

7. Joe says:

SAW that! Wow…

8. mr. negative says:

“Snownado, spinning out angry polar bears”…outstanding…thanks for the smile.

9. Jude Sullivan says:

How is it that we Really know how n when to expect a Real Snownado??? I am positive they DO happen once in a Blue Moon!!! NOO PUN INTENDID!!! How would we KNOW it’s happening and what to do??? Make the same attempt as regular Tornado’s??? Best or Different spot to be ETC??? Was said 40 MPH’S Per HOUR..and Lord knows we’ve had those and many,many more this Season that have been worse or more than the Blizzard of ’78! Are you taking count of how much worse this Blizzard is compared to That one??? What am I SAYING!!! I believe this is a substantial MORE and worse than ’78′s!!! Thanks for ANY Feedback from ANYONE IN Whom returns an answer to ANY Question in advance!
    ~~~~ FED UP AND SNOWED IN!~~~~

We have had tornado watches in areas that still have snow on the ground in the early spring. This is one of my favorite photos: http://blogs.woodtv.com/files/2010/03/Tornado-1-7-08-debris-on-frozen-lake-in-WI.gif It’s tornado debris strewn across a frozen lake in SE Wisconsin. More on that here: http://blogs.woodtv.com/2010/03/25/tornado-hits-train/