Tuesday PM

February 12th, 2014 at 2:43 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Great Lakes Ice Cover 86 percent two   Click on the image.  We’re up to 86% ice cover on the Great Lakes – only 1994 was higher on Feb. 11th and that was by just 2%.  We have had just 15.8% of possible sunshine since Dec. 1 in G.R.  The average for Dec. 1 – Feb. 11 is 24.7%.   Tuesday was the first day since Jan. 21 when we didn’t see at least a trace of snow in G.R. and only the 2nd day since Jan. 13th.   The warmest temperature of February so far is just 27 and you have to go back to Jan. 14 to find a temperature warmer than 34.  The average wind speed Tuesday of 3.6 mph made it the calmest day of the winter and the calmest day since Oct. 10.  Muskegon added 2/10ths inch of snow yesterday to bring the season total to 110.7″.   Holland’s total remains at 122.9″.

There is an area of light snow approaching from Wisconsin, but it’s falling apart – there may be a half inch of snow in Ludington and Manistee…and mainly trace amounts down to Muskegon/Grand Haven, but not much.   I’m still tracking the possibility of some rain/freezing rain for next Monday.   The morning run of the GFS now only takes G.R. to 40 on Thurs. the 20th, but with 1/4 to 1/2″ of rain.  That won’t melt all the snow and if the snow traps the rain, it’ll only mean more water sitting on the ground with the potential for flooding down the road.

Brief model update…both the GFS plot and the European models give us around an inch of snow Thurs. night into Friday, a cool, but pleasant weekend, rain/freezing rain with temps. in the low-mid 30s on Monday (roads could be slick).   Both models have temps. rising to the mid 40s on the 21st.  The GFS plot is mid 40s on the 22nd and the Euro. takes G.R. to 51 with at least 1/2″ of rain.  There’s a lot of snow on the ground, so I’d be cautious with a gung-ho warm-up.

I looked up the # of 40-degree days in February in past years.  Last year we had 6, in 2012 we had 12.  Since 1978, we’ve only had two years that we didn’t get to 40…that was 1978 (coldest Feb. ever in G.R. after the big blizzard and 2010 when the warmest was 39.  The most was 16 in 1984 and 1987.  The average for those 36 years is 6.7 days with highs of 40 or better in February.

182 Responses to “Tuesday PM”

>>>>>>>>BREAKING WEATHER NEWS>>>>>>>>> It will be another perfect winter weekend for outdoor winter sports. We are going on 11 straight weeks of FANTASTIC WINTER CONDITIONS! We are having the BEST WINTER EVER! I love it!

GREAT NEWS! After the brief warm up we will be heading right back into many more weeks of COLD and SNOW! I don’t know how it could get any better! Maybe all of the warm weather nuts that have been clamoring and drooling for warm weather, should get outside and start enjoying the SNOW! What a concept! Imagine that!

I am still booking all bets at 100 to 1 odds that GR will not see 100+ inches of SNOW this season! Who knew? We will be getting hammered with SNOW before this winter is over! Get ready!

1. Mark (SE GR) says:

I’ll bet my $1 to your $100. Please confirm.

A SNOWSTORM is on the way for next Tuesday! INCREDIBLE! Keep it coming!

1. Drew says:

How is it going to snow when it’s 39 degrees?

1. Tim from Zeeland says:

Give it a rest please Rocky. We all get it. You love winter. Don’t you have ANYTHING better to do than clog up the blog?

1. IrritatedLurker says:

Thank you. He’s spamming and I don’t get why there isn’t a no-spam rule on here. For the record I like snow I just don’t like a broken record about it!

This is not rocket science. If you don’t like my posts DON’T read them! WOW!

2. IrritatedLurker says:

Straight from WOOD’s forecast:

“Tuesday looks like a better day with partly sunny skies.

Significant warmer weather moves in for the middle and end of next week. We should be partly sunny and upper 30s on Wednesday with temperatures reaching the low 40s with some rain on Thursday the 20th.”

Where on earth are you getting a snow storm?

It will be SNOWING on Monday night into Tuesday. Mark it down!

1. IrritatedLurker says:

If I could selectively not read your posts I would but it’s hard to miss when one scans down the blog reading comments. Maybe instead of blaming anyone else you could try dialing it down a notch.

2. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Rocky the rodent is one of the resident trolls. No friends. No life, as if you couldn’t tell. Who knew?

1. Michael g (se gr) says:

And what exactly has Rodey EVER contributed?

3. Dingid Forester jr. says:

Perhaps you need to switch to decaf my man…

4. Timothy de Graaf says:

WOW, you make it impossible to ignore your SPAM DUH WOW

This isn’t rocket science, if you don’t want people to ask you to stop spamming and saying disrespectful dumb crap, DON’T DO IT. Or at least don’t do it as much.

Well boys and girls it looks like after this weekend we are in for a good February thaw! With warmer temps and several shots of rain. Then after a 8 to day maybe 10 warm spell it looks like it may turn colder for the start of March. In fact March could be a very up and down month. And what kind of systems we get in March could very well determine how much and how bad this springs flooding will get. While we will lose a good amount of snow with this upcoming thaw I still feel we will come out of it with several inches of snow cover here in GR. As there is a lot of snow and the snow near the ground is almost like ice.

Finally, a quality post.

2. Barb says:

I cleared some of the 2 ft. of snow off my roof yesterday, esp. around the edges. With the thaw and rain, it could get pretty heavy.

6. dano (Norton Shores) says:

Lake snows are about done at this point. Just not much open water…

You know for the several snow and cold lovers who use this blog I must say the although I think this summer will be on the cooler side (but that could change) I would think it would be just great to have a hot summer. In fact after the somewhat cold and snowy winter of 1935/36 came the summer of 1936 with that summers heat wave. Wouldn’t it be just ironic if we had a similar heat wave this summer?

I’m all set on any sort of heat waves for the rest of my life. I would be perfectly content if it were 70-75 year round.

Give me temps in the teens and 20′s year round! The BEST WINTER EVER!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Rocky, that would get a little boring after a while. It is great to have change and different seasons!

2. Barb says:

Maybe you should look at northern Canada or Alaska?

8. kevin. w says:

why bother on this blog

Thanks for that riveting commentary!

1. BlueRooster (NE GR) says:

This blog really needs a moderator.

9. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

It just cracks me up to hear stories from the south during winter storms. I definitely understand that they are not used to the snow and ice, especially considering that they have no way to treat the roads. But you have to admit that our roads aren’t too good either… especially with the cold temperatures (below salt-working temps) and constant snows/snowy roads. Not to mention that when it snows down south they get right back up into the 60′s while we continue to suffer in below freezing temperatures.
    Anyways, my grandma was telling me that she was stuck in the house all day as a result of the big blizzard. But by ‘big blizzard’, she really meant a ‘trace amount of ice’ storm! Why don’t they try living up here where we get constant snow, ice, and cold temperatures all winter long. They get it once, we get it 100+ times with no break. However, a break finally looks likely by next week with highs in the low 40′s… yay?

1. Barb says:

That’s true. And some on the East Coast are complaining it’s been “days” since they’ve seen the 30s. Obviously we haven’t seen the 30s much for months.

They’re getting a ton of ice – a lot more than we did before Christmas.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Georgia is getting a lot of ice, I agree. But besides that I don’t see the big deal. Just stay home one day out of the entire winter and enjoy the rest of the 60′s. I also do understand that they have little experience driving in the snow and ice, but the lack of road crews doesn’t really matter… We have snow on the roads 50% of the winter.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

From video I’ve seen, it looks like they are trying to go 60 mph instead of 30-35 mph. That and I have to assume most don’t have all they great of tires on their car. I have a 2011 Impala and I have zero problems keeping my car under control at a safe speed for conditions, while I saw 2 of the same cars and a Malibu stuck on the road in South Carolina. Granted though, I did get new tires in September.

2. Wswplz says:

Having good road crews like we do here does make a difference. You have to remember what happens on our freeways when it snows, and now imagine 10 fold the traffic more complicated warm weather designed highways, and also as you mentioned people with little experience and zero snow tires driving on congested interstates = chaos…

3. Wswplz says:

Tire make all the difference…of course, knowing how to drive in conditions also helps tremendously.lol….All things considered tires are a huge part of the problem…for anyone that has ran a performance tire, super low profile in the snow and wide knows what I’m speaking of. For that matter, warn non-all season, or even new.

10. on the grand says:

Yesterday was shoveling 150ft path in knee deep snow, not bad fluffy, underneath was crunchy snow, today I finished the task, the snow was hard and underneath was ice, so I think the snow will be sticking around for awhile.

11. Travis (Oakland County) says:

57 degrees in the Sochi mountains today. Not good for the events.

Nope,I’ve watched some of the downhill events, and you can tell the snow is wet, and soft. I’ve never seen a winter Olympics event held in a city with palm trees before.

1. Wswplz says:

The half pipe yesterday during the men’s snow board event was in terrible condition. They have been salting the snow and adding water in hopes to try and flash freeze the wet sticky snow. Yes, not good conditions… From what I have been reading we may be experiencing weather like Sochi is now……and this warm up looks like it’s going to be much more than a day or two, as was the early thinking.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Biggest mistake in Olympic history. Of all cities in Russia, why the hell there for?

Sochi has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa),[22] at the lower elevations. Its average annual temperature is 18.4 °C (65.1 °F) during the day and 11 °C (52 °F) at night. In the coldest months—January and February—the average temperature is about 10 °C (50 °F) during the day, above 3 °C (37 °F) at night and the average sea temperature is about 9 °C (48 °F).