Monday PM Snow

February 17th, 2014 at 1:12 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   mesoRadar on the left will update automatically.  Tue. morning.   Snow is moving out.  We have passed 100″ in G.R. and a look at the long-range maps for March shows that we have a good chance of reaching 2nd snowiest winter ever…and I totally wouldn’t rule out making a run at our snowiest winter ever (132″ at the airport, 144″ in downtown G.R. in 1951-52).   Most areas got 4-7″.  We have also had some drifting, but winds will diminish overnight.  On the right, we had a meso-discussion for heavy snow from the Storm Prediction Center that you can read here.   Roads are snow covered and slippery this morning, though road conditions will improve during the day.   I-94 was closed near Lawrence due to “multiple accidents”, including an accident with at least six injuries that involved 20 semis and over 20 cars.  A jack-knifed semi was blocked I-196 at the College Ave. exit.   I-96 was closed at M-6 due to multiple accidents.  Other slide-offs throughout the area.  Thundersnow was reported in Barry County, far SE Michigan near Lambertville,  N. Indiana and N. Illinois with snowfall rates over 2″ an hour.    Season snowfall:  Grand Rapids 100.5″, Muskegon 120.3″, Kalamazoo 95.8″, Oshtemo 100.2″, Lansing 53.7″.   The warm-up  will be very brief.  We’ll go right back into the cold pattern to close Feb. and begin March.

Two more roof collapses today, one in Muskegon and another in Grand Rapids.   They continue to clean up the damage at the Christian Reformed Grounds near Grand Haven.   This will continue to be a big problem with rain falling into the snow on Thursday.

More than 4,000 flight delays…O’Hare snow a problem…snow ending in Chicago at 8 pm.  This is the worst winter for flight delays in over 25 years and probably ever.

Morning model run snowfall forecasts…first number is NAM (caribou), second is GFS (caribou):  Grand Rapids 6.3″, 4.9″…Lansing 6.4″, 3.3″…Muskegon 6.4″, 5.0″…Kalamazoo 5.9″, 4.8″…Jackson 5.4″, 3.6″…Pontiac 3.6″, 2.0″…Big Rapids 8.5″, 3.7″…Mt. Pleasant 8.1″, 4.9″…Cadillac 4.9″, 3.3″…Ludington 7.4″, 4.7″…S. Haven 4.7″ (NAM only), Holland 5.1″ (NAM only).  Roads will be snow-covered and slippery tonight into the morning rush hour tomorrow.  The European has 0.34″ precipitation for Grand Rapids, or about 4″ of snow..then 0.51″ of mainly rain on Thurs.  The European has our temperature around dinnertime Thurs. at 42.1.  It’s back to 27 by daybreak Friday (so a freeze-up with slick roads for the Friday am commute and temps. fall during the day Friday to the teens by evening.  It stays cold after that.  We back to 9 above zero Sat. AM on the European, 13 Sunday AM and +7 Monday AM.  AGAIN, I’m worried about the additional snow and especially the rain being absorbed into the snow on Thursday creating the potential for more roof collapses (esp. flat roofs).  Tomorrow or Weds. think about clearing snow from drains, gutters and downspouts and perhaps clearing snow from flat or low-pitched roofs.  Check out the links below:

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s Closings.

573 Responses to “Monday PM Snow”

1. Bobby (Ada) says:

Everyone should check this out! Ateroid Fly Over – LIVE

1. Ribo911$ says:

Dang! Can’t see it with our Winter Storm Warning going on!

2. Bob B (Grand Rapids) says:

Thanks Bill Steffen for posting season totals. Always interesting to see how things are stacking up!

2. 4.1 new snow since 4pm, All Gratiot county schools are now closed for Tuesday

1. Moderate to heavy currently falling and rural roads are drifting badly

3. on the Grand says:

Think twice about getting on a roof. Did it last week, let me tell you, once the snow is removed it is slippery. I almost slid right off the roof. I now use a large stick to scrape off the snow. If you clean the gutters, they will not get icy, a great trick I learnt is to use a hockey stick, just the right angle.Also knock down those icicles, they are added weight, but never look up when you are knocking them down.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Thanks for the advice, it’s definitely a risky job. But it has to be done if you want 100% protection from a collapse.

4. In the 1970s Winter storm warnings were issued when it was expected that 4 or more inches could fall. Mainly I think due to the lack of tools to get a precise or believed precise pulse on the storm as to snowfall. and I might be wrong but I think is 6 inches were I expected it was a heavy snow warning, up to 4 was a Travelers Advisory

5. I meant heavy snow warnings were issued

6. Wswplz says:

I know many have debated, if there should be a WSW or just the WWA in which we have in place. I will leave that debate to those that wish to have it, however I would like to mention that the rule roads and even some of the more traveled roads were in the top 2 worst shape of the winter. This snow was in my opinion the heaviest that we have had, and couple that with the wind and drifting due to all the snow we have accumulated = a mess. The interstates however weren’t to bad for the most part, unless it was prone to drifting. Be safe if you go out, the roads have gone downhill since just two hours ago.

1. Wswplz says:

* sorry for misspellings

There should be no debate left! The NWS made a horrible call and it is un-debatable that a WSW should have been issued this AM or no latter than the afternoon update!!

1. Wswplz says:

Ya, I’m not sure just because I’m not an expert, but if you go from what I have seen in the past qualify as a WSW, well then in comparison I would say yes, without question you are right.

2. Ribo911$ says:

But, we were still “Advised” about “Winter” “Weather”!

3. Wswplz says:

* meant to say wettest snow we have had ..lol. I can’t type on tablets well

I just got done snow blowing and I have picked up 7.5 inches of fresh SNOW so far and based on the radar I should pickup another 1.5 to 2 inches before it lets up!

8. John (Norton Shores) says:

Measured 6.7″, roads are very horrible, plow hasn’t even been thru my road yet, they generally are thru my road first. I’m expecting several back/rural road schools to be closed tomorrow especially where there is more drifting

What a storm. When the snow reports come in tomorrow you will be seeing a widespread 6 to 10 inches in and around Kent County! INCREDIBLE! It seems to me that about three or four days ago the Canadian model showed a widespread 6 to 10 inches! WOW!

10. I got an even 6″ of fresh snow at my house, bringing my season snowfall to 105.2″ What an incredible winter!!

11. John (Norton Shores) says:

WZZM is a bit high on their temps I think for Thursday, they have it at 50

It is a red letter day in the history of GR! Over 100 inches of SNOW for the season with a lot more to come before this winter is over! The only question left is will we top the record of 132 inches?

1. Bobby (Ada) says:

We’ve Topped 100″ before so what’s the big deal? That’s only 25″ more than our average :|

This from the man that made one of the most outrageous comments on this blog in years! By the end of this month we will be sitting on the second highest seasonal snowfall total in the history of GR! INCREDIBLE!

Hopefully the NWS gets an accurate snow depth measurement tomorrow because it will be an all time record high in the history of GR! WOW! Keep the SNOW coming!

I think you might be right of that one rocky, but will see what the NWS comes up with.

14. mr. negative says:

SE GR – an even five inches. Yep, roads look lousy overnight. February in Michigan. Not fascinating, not a record, not “never seen before!”, not amazing, not “I can’t believe it” status. No matter the number of adjectives and exclamation points used, it’s February in Michigan…moreover, a good old fashioned winter.

Yes if you want to call breaking all type of snowfall and snow depth records just an every day winter in MI – it is your story!

2. yooper4021 says:

Agree on one hand, but disagree on another. Records are falling this winter…like in Marquette. 73 consecutive days without an above-freezing temp. That’s a pretty remarkable cold stretch.

Well when was the last time you had this much snow on the ground????? name the years.

+one trillion!

15. John (Norton Shores) says:

00Z NAM takes our temps to just above 40 on Thursday with about an inch of rain, that would absorb right into the snow

That would be a lot of rain. BTW, close to 7″ here today.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

More like between half an inch and three quarters of an inch of rain. It also has us getting some freezing rain and snow. Thursday is just going to be a sloppy day. Blah.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Combine with dense fog, it’s going to be hard to drive especially where you have ponding on roads because you won’t be able to see that ponding

16. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Closing in on 6″. I’m over 130″ total now. This has turned out to be one of our bigger snowfalls.

Imagine that!

2. Wswplz says:

It was for my area for sure, this snow came down hard and fast, supper wet as well…it kept getting stuck on my dam wipers on my vehicle, was driving me crazy. I drove out 10 mile near Rockford and headed west for about 15- 20 miles and then went north over to 22 mile, then back towards Cedar Springs. I was pushing snow over my hood in many places, the roads were bad, and I’ve drove in all the snow events we have had at length, this one was in the top two. Had to dig myself out once because someone was driving down the center of the road due to the drifts I assume as they had no 4×4….I moved way over even off the road, only way I could see was with wipers on high due to the wave of snow going over my entire vehicle, but still no room so I took one for the team and put it in the bank…could not get out of my car because the snow was up to my window…lol

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I would say this event is somewhere around the 5-10th worst snow for our area. We’ve had a lot of bad lake effect snows and snowstorms with much more wind and drifting than tonight. Still a very nice snowstorm with medium to high travel impacts. I’ll know for sure in a little bit when I go to work.

1. Wswplz says:

You don’t mean this year only? Right

Well boys and girls here in Walker (three mile area) I have measured 7” of new snow and in my yard I have between 26 and 31” of snow on the ground and as I shovel by hand (no snow blower) I have snow piles over 8 feet by the road and I am not sure where I am going to put the snow after the plow comes by.

Enjoy all of this great fresh SNOW! Another RDB Bingo!

It will not get above 32 degrees tomorrow and it will be great day to hit the trails!

There is no question about it this has been one remarkable winter. I have to say I had my doubts back at the start of the winter but now GR is likely to at least come into second place for a seasonal snow fall and while first place is still on the table we would have to have a very snowy March for that to happen,

Don’t forget we still have 11 days left in Feb to add to our totals. I expect quite a few more inches by the end of this month!

Yes, truly amazing! I think Flint and Detroit have chances at all time record snow cover streaks, we’ll see.

20. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I laugh every time I look at the main page on my phone. It has the Acculess weather app, and it has said “flurries” for my area for the past 4 hours. We’ve received a few inches of snow during that timeframe.

LOL!

Well technically they (acccuweather) was right you had flurries just a lot of them,

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Thats exactly what I said SlimJim.

21. GuestMom says:

What is the chance schools will be closed in Kent County?

Rural schools 25 to 30%. Large districts in and around GR about a 5 to 10 % chance!

2. Wswplz says:

I’m not familiar with the schools in this area as I grew up outside Michigan, however if it’s a school that has its main access via back roads, I would say there is a good chance.

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

I would say about 50/50 for rural schools, big schools like Grand Rapids will be open tomorrow

22. Wswplz says:

Hey guys sorry if this is a repeat, but did you see they issued a WSW for the tri -cities and northern thumb, I would think they couldn’t be getting to much more snow then we are…interesting

Just let the dog out and we’re at 3″ for today. The drive home from Charlotte was hairy. Saw a fifth wheel camper jackknifed and separated from the pickup on I-69. Saw a pickup in the median laying on it’s side on I-96. Glad to be home and off the roads.

1. Wswplz says:

So if some of those totals are remotely correct such as Newaygo 5″ and we are set to get another 1-3 according to the NWS, that would be a solid WWA for sure. High end WWA !!

Currently getting moderate to heavy SNOW! No gig deal – I have been getting moderate to heavy SNOW for about 8 straight hours! Just a typical run of the mill WWA I guess :)

1. Wswplz says:

Our area Rocky, finally made in the sweet spot, that’s for sure!

25. John (Grand Rapids) says:

Going to be a tough choice for schools to make tomorrow…

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

This snow was definitely more difficult to drive in than many of our other snowfalls this winter. Cars sliding around all over the place…

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Roads are still snow-covered an slick, back roads haven’t even been plowed yet, I would say 50/50 for rural schools

26. Wswplz says:

Hey Travis Ulberg, in your post earlier, you are referring to your experience in Michigan correct? Not this years snow events , because I was just referring to this year.

3.1″ here today in only 3 hours. 15″ on the ground still. No way all this is melting anytime soon.

28. Not to often do you see a school that is running on a two hour delay already for tomorrow morning. Algoma Christian school has done that twice this year now.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Many Indiana schools are on two hour delays tomorrow, not sure why they don’t just cancel but oh well haha!

I’m sure they’re hoping for good enough weather to count the day as a school day. They’ve missed a lot of days this season in N. Indiana (like in some districts in G.R. With the snow ending and an extra 2 hours for the plows to do their work…they’re hoping to get everyone to school safely.

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

When living in Cheboygan back in the ’90′s we had a lot more 2 hour delays than school closings.

2. TomKap (Michigan St. & Fuller) Grand Rapids says:

The first reasonable post in here in at least 5 hours. If you want to know about School closings, listen to Bill and TV8. Rocky has NO clue about closings. It’s absurd he acts like he does.

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

Makes sense Bill, don’t two hour delays add up too though?

It still counts as a full day. I’m not criticizing schools here, or implying that their judgement is based on the number of days they’ve already lost, but they see the snow has ended and I’ll bet their getting word on what the plows can accomplish overnight…no drifting…daylight provides better visibility.

5. John (Norton Shores) says:

Okay Thanks Bill! :) For some reason I always thought two hour delays add up

29. tom says:

For what it is worth, I took a yardstick and measured a little over 7 inches of snow on my previously clean driveway. I did it in several spots before I began to shovel it off. We will be lucky if we even melt this new snow much less any of what we had previously when it warms up for a few days this week. This totally sucks, it was the last thing we all needed.

30. tom says:

Oh, I should have added that I live in the Alger Heights area, so you know where that 7 plus inches of snow landed today.

31. Bob says:

After hearing about the numerous roof collapses in the area due to heavy snow, I decided I should shovel off my roof. Once I was up there a strong gust of wind blew my ladder down! I figured I should get the job done since I was already on the roof. When I wa done i moved around to the back of the house so I could jump off into the deep snow. It just so happened that my kids’ portable sandbox was right below me filled with ice, covered with snow. Unfortunately I landed on it breaking my tailbone. A tip to anyone worried about a roof collapse: it would be easier to deal with than having to sit on a bruised butt all the time!!

1. I.B.Creepin says:

You should go get that checked out. If your insurance won’t cover it, I could take a look for you.

The name says it all lol

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I thought the same! Lol

2. I.B.Creepin says:

Are you looking for a spotter when you go up onto your roof?

32. Paul (Yankee Springs-Barry State Game Area) says:

I got 6.5″ snow here in the woods for this storm, puts me around 113″ for the season.

On a side not, I remember having a couple sessions of Saturday school back in Hartland, WIsconsin in the late 70′s to make up for all the days missed. It was basically a party. The teachers didn’t want to be there, and maybe half the students showed up…if that..,,,

33. Cort S. says:

GRR is at 100.5″ for the season! Only need 6.7 more inches to become the second-snowiest winter on record, which would unseat the 2007-2008 winter.

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

The last time GR was a virtual lock to move into 2nd place was right around this time in 2009, we ended up having virtually no snow the rest of the winter/spring and missed out on bumping the winter of 07-08 from 2nd place. I was living in East Lansing at the time, and we had a nice 3-5 inch snowfall in early-mid April that year which never quite got to GRR; that would’ve done the trick.

As for this year? It will be a different story. There’s just way too much cold air in place (notwithstanding the brief warmup this week) for the pattern to shut off the snow completely. I would bet we hit 107.2″ by the end of the month, perhaps with ease.

34. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Just shoveled 1/2 of the driveway, and my eyeball estimate is over 7 inches with moderate to heavy snow still falling (although the heavier bands are more scattered throughout the area now). The amount of snow in and around my yard and street is absolutely incredible. This could be a once in a lifetime winter with the combination of snow (will be 2nd most all-time in GR) and amazing cold.

35. Bald Eagle (Montague) says:

Good 8″ here. Everyone be safe & have a great day!

36. Cort S. says:

Snow depth is 24″ at GRR according to the latest CLIGRR product.

37. Cy B. says:

Bill should stop putting links to wave height buoys that are not in place, such as: South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only),
    the reason the link says Apr. to Nov. only is because they bring them in for the winter top avoid ice damage

I just cut and paste the entire list of links…I don’t have time to edit them in and out…to find out which skycams are working on a given day. They kept the buoys out later this year and that was most appreciated.