Tues. PM update

February 18th, 2014 at 2:26 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

muskegon glerl  Bill's Blog T-Shirt in Sarasota FL Jean Kelleher lake Michigan Grand Haven sunset 2 17 14 alexis hernandezPic. on the left is the sunset Sunday from the Muskegon Glerl cam.   You can see open water in the channel and there is some open water farther out from shore.  The second picture is Mr. Kelleher proudly weather a Bill’s Blog T-shirt today in Sarasota, Florida, where the high temperature today was a pleasant 76°.  On the right is sunset tonight (Tue.) at the Grand Haven pier from Alexis Hernandez.   With some sun and a push of warmer air…temperatures are shooting upward.   Grand Rapids shot up to 43 degrees after sunset.  Muskegon and S. Haven made 46.   These are the warmest temperatures since Jan. 13th, five weeks ago.  It was cooler to the north, where Mt. Pleasant stopped at 33 and Big Rapids at 35.

Updated season snowfall:  Grand Rapids 101.1″, Holland 134.5″, Muskegon 120.7″, Kalamazoo 96.1″, Lansing 56.3″.  The snow depth of 24″ this Tues. AM in G.R. is an all-time February record and just 3″ shy of the all-time snow depth record of 27″ after the Blizzard of ’78.  We have now gone a record 14 days with more than 20″ of snow on the ground.   Muskegon had 27″ of snow on the ground at daybreak, Lansing 19, Fremont, Hart and Baldwin reported 25″ on the ground.  The least in the GRR NWS warning area was 15″ at Big Rapids.  Duluth MN has set a record for most days below zero in winter.  Since Dec. 1 a whopping 60 of 80 days have had minimum temperatures at or below zero.  It’s the 3rd snowiest winter in Detroit, and snowiest since 1925.  For the Midwest Climate States (MN, IA, WI, MI) this so far is the 6th coldest winter since 1895.  The 15-21 day European model for March 3-9 has the coldest air relative to average right over the Great Lakes.  It’s the 2nd snowiest winter in Philadelphia and New York City now has 17″ of snow on the ground.  For NYC, it’s already the 7th snowiest winter with a season total of 57.1″.

We’ll cloud up tonight and there is a chance of a few flurries, a few snow pellets and a slight chance of a trace of freezing mist.  The sun should be back out tomorrow PM.  We’ll be dry for the Thurs. AM commute, but rain pushes in about mid-morning from south-southwest to north-northeast.  The temperature will be close to 32 when it starts and may only reach the upper 30s by the evening commute.  Temps. will rise briefly into the 40s Thurs. night.  A strong cold front will push thru with strong winds (gusts to 40 mph with the front and behind it into Friday AM.  We’re still looking at 1/2 – 3/4″ of rain.  Even though the Slight Risk Area for severe thunderstorms comes up into areas south of I-94, I think a better bet for severe (mainly wind and hail) will be in KY, TN, SE IN and W. OH.  We may have some school closings on Friday with the strong winds and icing as temps. fall below freezing.  Arctic air returns.  High temps. for G.R. on the GFS-plot beginning on Saturday:  20, 17, 20, 20, 14.   I think that’s a little cool – but sure no sign of spring yet.  With the 40+ wind gusts on the Great Lakes Thurs. night/Friday, it’ll be interesting to see if a significant amount of ice breaks up or gets pushed away from the WI/IL shore.   Also, I’m still concerned about roof collapses with the rain Thursday falling into the snow cover on flat roofs.  I also remain concerned about a cold first half of March, the snow sticking around and the increased potential for flooding in late March or April.

182 Responses to “Tues. PM update”

1. After this warm-up we get and the colder air wraps in, it appears right now that we may be in a more quiet weather pattern. Temps will be in the upper teens and lower 20′s from Feb. 23-Feb 27 with little precip

All it Takes is a WHISPER from The Master & King of The World To Change it ALL !! Stay Cued and,,,,KEEP LOOKING UP!!

2. suehelen says:

I like quiet weather patterns.

2. Kevin(Rockford) says:

Out at Grand Haven today, pretty awesome and surprised at the amount of open water near the pier. Standing probably 20 yards offshore it was kind of a weird feeling as I watched a crack moving in the ice a few inches from my foot(could hear it too) and it kept going and going. I would guess the stiff wind had something to do with it.

It’s up to 43* right now. So far the high for the day. I would’ve expected temps to fall after dark.

1. SBPortage002 says:

Currently at 40 at the airport near here…still hanging in there.

I was scratching My Head on That as Well… Brian ….hmmmm …stay Cued

I think the clouds that came in this evening have trapped the warmth created earlier today.

4. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yeah, what is up with this ridiculous little warm up. WAY above what all of us expected…

1. Paul m says:

It’s nice to melt the road back to pavement today!
        If people think winter is over then your going to be
        Disappointed.

4. on the grand says:

Three people have fallen in at Grand Haven. I call them frozen waves. They move up and down and side to side, a crack can open up and then come together again.The coast guard has stated that Lake Michigan at the pier and the Grand Haven Chanel are now breaking up and there is some open water. In front of my place we are starting to see water. It does not take much, there is still water under the ice, at our dock it is a very strong current. Drop something in and it is down stream before you know it.

1. Paul m says:

7 people went thru over the weekend and all 7 were walking between the north and south pier in front of the Grand river.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

The irony is that during the summer, people lose their lives doing stupid things around that pier too.

5. Brad (Van Buren) says:

Hopefully we get some nice rain and a crack of thunder before this next cold spell. Melt off a little of this snow.

Bill, I want 1 BILLS BLOG T-SHIRT !! To…” Proudly WEATHER” ?? Lol… Weather on Your BRAIN ! It’s Wearing ( pun intended) on Ya Aye? Stay Cued ! & God Bless You BILL.. ;-)

7. ER From GR says:

So i am driving from Grand Rapids to Jacksonville fl march 2nd at 5am straight through without help from my fiance, for my honeymoon. Im wondering if i will be ok in the mountains with a Chevy Sonic. If they have snow, im hoping i will be ok to make it to florida. Also which route would you recomend? I was planning on 131 south to 94 to 69 fort wayne over to 75 cincinnati south to i40 near knoxville over to 95 south through carolinas and georgia.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Ok, I resisted from saying something sarcastic…it is totally impossible to know what the weather will be that day. :) There could be a higher risk of wintry weather, givien that we are going to be in a colder pattern. Odds are you have to worry more about thunderstorms in the south than snow during March.

IMHO, I would stay on 75. I avoid 95 like it is the plague. I hate that road. Growing up on the east coast, pretty much all easterners hate 95, but it is pretty much the main route. Have you ever driven on it? Very congested, Very aggressive driving, and often clogged up due to accidents. Picture the highways around Detroit, but for hours and hours on end.

2. Bobby (Ada) says:

Take 94 to 65 through Indianapolis and down through Louisville and Nashville. Then take 24 east out of Nashville to Chattanooga. From there, catch 75 south and take that all the way through Atlanta and into the warm and Sunshine!!

My Girlfriend and i just got back from Sarasota about 3 weeks ago, and that was the quickest route, not to mention there were not many Mountains to deal with versus going through the Carolina’s. HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!! :)

That route will add a ton of miles to your trip. Try 131 south toward Indy, pick up 65 S. to Nashville, then 24 S. to Chattanooga, then 75 S. to 10 E. to Jacksonville.

4. Mike M. says:

Fly. In an airplane, hopefully.

8. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Hey Bill, do you have any tee shirts for sale? I want to support you and i think that is a great way to do so!

I wish I did. The station has a policy of not selling merchandise…it’s just giveaways. I think we gave away about 200 shirts. I’ve love to do more and I keep askin’.

Yeah, I want Proudly WEATHER , a TSHIRT !! Hee, heee… Stay Cued !!

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Oh okay, I’m not sure why the policy prohibits you from selling them, but I’m sure there is a reason. I did dress up for you as Halloween though!

Pssst….. The second picture is Mr. Kelleher proudly weather a Bill’s Blog T- ??

10. Barry in Zeeland says:

Went out to Holland State park today, pretty impressive how far out you can walk on the ice. Haven’t seen it that solid that far out in years. Lot of open water though just beyond the piers, must have broken up a bit the past couple days. Surprised how warm out it was. 40+ and warm sun, hardly needed a coat on! Also notice a lot of ponding water on the roads in and around Holland already. Going to be a huge mess with the rain coming.

1. Brad (Van Buren) says:

There is a price to be paid for having a record breaking winter.

11. Barry in Zeeland says:

Northern lights active again tonight. Just checked outside, nothing here yet under clear skies. We are way overdue for a good show.

in 17 minutes, the Geomagnetic Activity level (Kp number) will be 5.33 — at STORM LEVEL! Stay cued…. ;-)

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Skies are clearing now.

12. kent county says:

Looks like SW Kent was sadly right. These next few days could get rid of a significant amount of snow .

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

From woodtv, Kent county, so significant melting is not expected

A strong storm system will impact the Great Lakes Thursday. Rain will develop and possibly mix with sleet and freezing rain very early Thursday but it will quickly change over to all rain. The wind will intensify during the day with milder temperatures expected to peak in the low to mid 40s. Rainfall amounts with this blustery storm system will range from 1/2 to an 1″. It will not be enough to melt the record amount of snow pack (24″ for February) on the ground. The combination of melting snow and rain will cause ponding on area roads. Also, with the rain getting absorbed by the snow cover, we have an increased risk of roof collapses, especially on flat roofs.

1. Barry in Zeeland says:

We actually lost a bit of snow today already. Quite a few roads had huge puddles from melting snow, and the snow depth in our yard actually dropped almost 6 inches from when I measured this morning and again this evening. Some compacting for sure, but as much water as there was all over, definatley a bit of melting already.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

No melting here yet, we have kept our snow depth we had yesterday all day today

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Todays mid 40′s melted a good 2-3 inches over here. I expect to lose another 6-8 inches over the next 48 hours at least. I wish I could keep it all, but mid 40′s and rain will make it go fast.

We lost all the snow from the (correctly issued) WWA, and then some.

13. Dan says:

Bill’s blog shirt! That guy is a hero. Any chance more Bill’s blog shirts will become available?