February 19th, 2014 at 2:24 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  I’ll leave radar up for the chance of a sprinkle (rain or very light mix) in the morning.  I’ll become partly to mostly sunny later today.  The kp-index is at a 6 as I write this…too bad it’s cloudy or we might have a chance to see an aurora.   Season snowfall: Grand Rapids 101.1″, Muskegon 120.7″, Kalamazoo 96.1″.  The 24″ of snow on the ground in G.R. Tues. AM was a record for most snow on the ground ever in the month of February.   We also hit a record 14 consecutive days with more than 20″ of snow on the ground.

Overnight computer model runs:  The GFS is just relentless on the cold starting Friday and lasting UFN.   The temperature falls below freezing Thurs. night (freezing the puddles for the Friday am commute) and falls below 20 Sunday evening and stays below 20 until March 4th!  It’s probably overdone, but you get the trend.   The European has only upper teens to mid 20s for highs Sat. thru Tues.  The GFS actually takes the 850 mb (a little less than a mile above ground) temp. to -29C with daytime temps. in the single figures for the weekend of the 1st/2nd – like I said, probably overdone, but March is not going to come in like a lamb or a lion…it’ll be more like a polar bear!  The GFS has 0.57″ of mainly rain (a little snow at the end) Thursday and the NAM has 0.56″ with 1-2″ of snow at the end.  The European has 0.59″.  The rain doesn’t start until after the Thurs. am commute.  The NAM and GFS both take the wind here to 29 mph after midnight Thurs. night thru Friday…it’s going to howl.  So, enjoy the sun and relatively mild temperatures this PM.

AGAIN, I’m worried about the additional snow and especially the rain being absorbed into the snow on Thursday creating the potential for more roof collapses (esp. flat roofs). Think about clearing snow from drains, gutters and downspouts and perhaps clearing snow from flat or low-pitched roofs. Check out the links below:

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s Closings.

289 Responses to “”

1. SS (Pwell Area) says:

Windows in house opened a little to let some fresh air in!!! Ahhh….. LOL!

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks for the post SS I just did the same at my house, don’t think I’ve opened them since…well I don’t remember when. Lol

In a way its too bad that after this storm that the next 10 to 15 days look so dry. As we are within possible reach of a all time GR seasonal snow fall record. My guess now is that we will fall short of that record. But only if we could get 30+ inches of snow if March! Oh well if not the record should safe for many more years.

1. Wswplz says:

I’m not sure what the record snowfall for the month of March is, but our average is only around 8 inches and the most in a 24 hour period if I remember correctly is 13 or 13.5″. I just don’t see it as well, we would have to get extremely lucky and catch storm after storm with the p type stay in the snow more often then not, where as I see a dryer pattern with a mix bath of precipitation. I do think however we will move into 2nd quite easy…..

The March record for G.R. is 36″ in 1965 (right before the Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak. The midnight-to-midnight daily record is 13.6″ on 3/2/2002. We had 13.2″ in 24 hours from March 25 into March 26.

Well here at my house I am now up to 47° much warmer then I thought it would be today. I wonder just how much cooling we are going to get tonight before the storm come is tomorrow? I would not be too surprised if the storm tomorrow starts later then what is not forecasted. And with how warm its been both yesterday and today I have to wonder if tomorrow will be warmer then the mid to upper 40’s as well maybe that 50+ may not be so far fetched after all.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Tomorrow were supposed to have rain and clouds around all day which should help to hold temperatures down, the reason for warmer temps yesterday and today is because the sun angle is higher this time of year so when we have pure sunny conditions were almost gaurenteedhhhge to be warmer than forecasted

What’s that word at the end of line 3 again, John?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Haha, stupid spell check, yes I’m blaming my own self haha, shall we make it a new word, I say not! Haha!

2. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

I think we will hit 50. It seems like many times these types of storms draw up more warm air than the models predict. That 50 might actually occur overnight on Thu. before the bottom drops out.

4. fred says:

Interesting that while the airport has us “officially” over 100 inches…..those of us around Standale KNOW we’ve had around 130 inches.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yes I have had several more inches of snow than the reports becuase for each storm, I measure way more than they measure.

1. Wswplz says:

I think they are on the conservative side, and also I do know the snow totals can very quite significantly from one location to another, sometimes just miles apart as everyone can attest to with the LES we receive each winter. I also think that many of us don’t have the proper training when it comes to measuring snow depth and I’m sure many will say it doesn’t require any, and all one needs is a measuring implement….which is mostly true, with a few important exceptions. I think they should take measurements at Ind’s resort / brick yard since he is more prone to river enhanced snow….btw when are you having the party Indy so I can bring the sprites and hang out by the bond fire and talk about our crazy winte / racing…?

* crazy winter..

5. Stacsh says:

I said in one of last weeks thread people over estimate what the snowpack does to temps. Fell on deaf ears apparently.

1. yooper4021 says:

Assuming the same conditions as today – full sun, relatively light winds, etc. – but no snowpack – how much warmer would it be? 0? 5? 10? 20?

1. Irish coffee says:

yooper: long answer “depends”…short ans: approx 10-12 ;)

1. yooper4021 says:

Seems reasonable to me. Back when we had the thaw in early January, I recall Tom Skilling (WGN-Chicago) discussing this on-air. He used a 10-20 degree range…but also said that it’s not as simple as just looking at snowpack. Many other factors can affect it.

2. Irish coffee says:

I agree Stacsh!, common mistake …another mistake people make is how fast/slow they believe snow will melt…i’ve won many a bet w/ folks who think snow will melt @ a MUCH slower rate than it actually does,fwiw

ps- THu should easily top 50 in a few locales in sw MI, despite cloudcover(serious WAA incoming + mixing…i’ll go max of 54 somewhere

6. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

Bill Steffen is right about, “Think about…perhaps clearing snow from flat or low-pitched roofs.” I am starting to read about roofs caving in on houses.

I am going to summarize what I think I have learned over the past two or three years. I’m not an expert, so if anyone is more familiar with the subject than I am, feel free to chime in.

First let me say if you have a very high roof, like a two story, it can be *very dangerous*. If you are not comfortable that you know how to handle it, that you won’t slip off, consider hiring it done. Funerals and long hospital stays are much more expensive than hiring it done.

If you have a low roof and the pitch and the terrain is right, you may be able to remove most all of the snow with a “roof rake”, which is like a snow shovel that you pull instead of push. They come with handle extensions/sections so you can make them very long. You can remove snow from ground level. Hardware stores carry roof rakes. They’re not expensive at all.

I keep reading that the easiest mistake to make shoveling the roof is to press too hard on the shingles with the shovel. It’s easy to scrape too hard and reduce the life of the shingles. (And do NOT use a steel shovel.) Remember, you are only trying to get weight off the roof, not to clear it bare like a sidewalk. It helps a lot to lower the angle of the shovel so you are pushing forward and not down.

The roof rakes (shovels) have little runners on the bottom to help prevent damage to shingles. I have looked but haven’t found regular shovels that have runners. I wish they were available – for use on roofs. But bottom line – if you use a snow shovel, be gentle on the shingles.

I was told by a pro to never stand on the peak of a roof because that is where the shingles are the weakest.

A tip if you use a roof rake. Don’t start near the peak. Start lower and work your way up. It’s a whole bunch easier. I guess it is probably the same with a snow shovel.

Tomorrow I’ll try to describe a cheap and easy method that people use to prevent ice/water dams from forming in the roof. To help prevent your roof from leaking.

Apologies if someone has already covered this subject.

7. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Wow the snow is really starting to melt. This is definitely a beautiful day!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

And the sun is melting snow off the roofs which is good

1. Wswplz says:

Ya..I figured we would have a good amount of snow melt, especially after I saw what it started to do yesterday. The snow was much softer even last night when I touched up the driveway. I think we should loose 30-35% of our current pack by Friday.

* 30-35 easy…I can’t type

8. dano (Norton Shores) says:

We need a “dry slot” tomorrow…..

9. dano (Norton Shores) says:

Muskegon = pot hole city :(

1. Rob( Norton Shores) says:

heah grand haven rd. Between pontaluna and vanderwall concrete.

10. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

My thermometer says 39, Acculess says 36, Weather.com says 41, and Google says 43. Some thermometers must be soaking up the sun while others may be shaded?

11. John (Norton Shores) says:

I’m not denying that temps could hit 50 tomorrow but that would be over the southern part of the state, as you head farther north it will be cooler, right now I’m going to estimate temps between 40-45 for Muskegon tomorrow, but down near Detroit for instance 50 could very well be possible, but you do have to remember rain and clouds keep the temps down more.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Guess not estimate

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Clouds/rain with a Low that goes to our west is warmer than a completely sunny day like today. It can be 50+ overnight when a Low goes to our west.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Yes it’s possible 50 could be met tomorrow most likely south of 96 or more so 94 but the more north you are the cooler it will be

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I was just talking in general, not specifically about tomorrow.

Ahhhh Yes, This SUNSHINE is SUPER-MAN !!! SPIN,,, DONOVAN :::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9zxj4RE0O8. :-)

13. John (Norton Shores) says:

I have lost about 3″ of snow cover today, still have 31″ on the ground

14. on the Grand says:

I will be happy if we have a dry period, I dont mind the cold, and now with the sun even if it is cold, we will get melting. The sun room was at 50 most of the winter and with a little bit of sunshine the temperature goes up to 75 and the furnace does not run all the time.

15. ER From GR says:

If i read Bills post correctly did it say the weekend of march 1st we could have a low temp of 29 degrees BELOW Zero???

1. Wswplz says:

It won’t get that cold I think even at 850 mb, close maybe but even if that verifies we would still be on the plus side of zero.( unless wind comes into play). I think we will see high single digits if we receive the cold or that’s forecasted. The wedding is getting closer….:)

1. Wswplz says:

Sorry I meant high teens… The good news is you could have ice sculptures at your wedding and not worry about them melting..

Just walked To get my Mail,and I should have Put On my Galoshes !! My Tennis Shoes Got SOAKED!!!! Sloppy out There ! Sun Feels DARN NICE Though…..stay CUEDDDD!!! ;-)

17. John (Norton Shores) says:

Here’s what NWS says for temps tomorrow

AREA SHOULD BRIEFLY SEE WARM SECTOR LATE AFTERNOON FOR I-94 TO MID
    EVENING FOR U.S. 10 WITH TEMPERATURES JUMPING FROM THE LOW/MID 30S TO
    MID 40S AND POSSIBLY 50 ALONG AND SOUTH OF I-94.

18. John (Norton Shores) says:

The NWS opted about a winter weather advisory but they are not issuing one right now

IF…or…WHEN We Hit 50degrees BILL Steffen Will Get KAYAK FEVER !!! http://blogs.woodtv.com/files/2012/08/bill-lake-macatawa.jpg. ;-) . Stay CUED….BILL!! ;-)

That was a great day – perfect weather – kayaking with daughter #2.

20. yooper4021 says:

Interesting comment from Northern Indiana NWS about the unprecedented scenario tomorrow (possible severe weather with significant snowpack):

LAST FOCUS IS ON COLD FRONT AND SEVERE POTENTIAL LATE THU AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SPC HAS CUT BACK SLIGHT RISK AREA WHICH IS REASONABLE GIVEN THE DEEP SNOW PACK AND POTENTIALLY STABLE BOUNDARY LAYER. NAM12 SHOWING MUCAPES OF 400 TO 600 J/KG WITH IMPRESSIVE SHEAR VALUES. AFTERNOON TEMPS EXPECTED TO CLIMB INTO 40S WITH 50S OVER SOUTHERN CWA. LATEST HIGH RES GUIDANCE SUGGEST DEEPEST LIFT AND INSTABILITY WILL REMAIN JUST SOUTH OF OUR AREA. HOWEVER…ISOLATED WIND GUSTS TO SEVERE LIMITS REMAIN POSSIBLE…ESPECIALLY IN OUR SOUTHERN THIRD OF CWA AS A TYPICAL COLD SEASON FINE LINE EXPECTED ALONG COLD FRONT. LOCAL RESEARCH HAS NOT YIELDED ANY CASES OF SEVERE WEATHER EPISODES WITH SNOW DEPTHS EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT WE HAVE SO THIS IS A BIT OF UNCHARTED TERRITORY AT LEAST CLIMATOLOGICALLY SPEAKING.

21. John (Norton Shores) says:

Never mind winter weather advisory in effect

22. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

A coating to a quarter of an inch… That’s a massive difference. I would assume the highest accumulations are farther north away from the shore.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Probably not away from the lake just the farther north you are

23. John (Norton Shores) says:

Winter Weather Advisory
    URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
    343 PM EST WED FEB 19 2014

MIZ037>040-043>046-050>052-056>059-064>067-071>074-200445-
    /O.NEW.KGRR.WW.Y.0014.140220T0900Z-140222T0000Z/
    MASON-LAKE-OSCEOLA-CLARE-OCEANA-NEWAYGO-MECOSTA-ISABELLA-MUSKEGON-
    MONTCALM-GRATIOT-OTTAWA-KENT-IONIA-CLINTON-ALLEGAN-BARRY-EATON-
    INGHAM-VAN BUREN-KALAMAZOO-CALHOUN-JACKSON-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…LUDINGTON…BALDWIN…REED CITY…
    CLARE…HART…FREMONT…BIG RAPIDS…MOUNT PLEASANT…MUSKEGON…
    GREENVILLE…ALMA…JENISON…GRAND RAPIDS…IONIA…ST. JOHNS…
    HOLLAND…HASTINGS…CHARLOTTE…LANSING…SOUTH HAVEN…
    KALAMAZOO…BATTLE CREEK…JACKSON
    343 PM EST WED FEB 19 2014

…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO 7 PM
    EST FRIDAY…

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORY…WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO 7 PM
    EST FRIDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER…

* A WINTERY MIX OF FREEZING RAIN…SLEET AND SNOW THURSDAY
    MORNING WITH ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A COATING UPWARDS TO A QUARTER
    OF AN INCH.

* RAIN WITH LOCALLY DENSE FOG THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS WITH WIND GUSTS OF 50 MPH THURSDAY EVENING.

* SNOW SQUALLS AND BLUSTERY WINDS OF 25 TO 45 MPH ON FRIDAY.

IMPACTS…

* POOR DRIVING CONDITIONS WITH WINTERY MIX DEVELOPING DURING THE
    MORNING RUSH HOUR. MANY SECONDARY AND COUNTRY BACK ROADS WILL
    BECOME TREACHEROUS.

* PONDING OF WATER ON MANY ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS WITH SNOW
    AND ICE CLOGGED DRAINS.

* WIND GUSTS ARE LIKELY TO RESULT IN SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES AS A
    RESULT OF FALLING BRANCHES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…

* WEATHER PREPAREDNESS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ON LINE AT
    http://WWW.READY.GOV/WINTER AND http://GO.USA.GOV/5OG.

&&

$$

COBB

I love the looks of this! Can you say “POLAR VORTEX? There is plenty of open water on lake Mi and this will generate a lot of lake effect SNOW over the next couple weeks! Get ready to ROCK!

1. Wswplz says:

Hope we do see one LE, because it’s going to be fairly dry, unless the forecast changes. :(

1. Wswplz says:

* click on precipitation btw. I like this interactive map they have now.

Nice maps! The precip outlook will definitely change for the better! Get ready to ROCK n ROLL!

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Looks like a very dry but cold pattern over the next couple weeks with little snow Rocky

Famous last words John! MARK IT DOWN WE WILL BE SEEING MANY INCHES OF SNOW during this time period! I guarantee it!

Its once again been “marked” Rock but your luck on snow fall guess may have ran out on this one!

We shall see! We will be seeing lake effect, lake enhanced and clipper SNOWS baby! Bring it!

Yeah, it looks like another big shot of cold air. Crazy for almost March.

This covers the first 5 days of March and there is plenty of COLD and SNOW coming for the month of March. It could be a wild ride!

25. John (Norton Shores) says:

Going to be an interesting decision for schools tomorrow, most back road schools will probably be closed on Friday, maybe even tomorrow

1. Maybe, but the list of schools will be reduced due to mid winter break. I start mid winter break today and it lasts all week, so at least Byron Center won’t have to use more of their closings

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Enjoy your break Kyle!

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

I think most had theirs this past weekend, but either way I think most secondary back road districts will be closed on Friday and possibly tomorrow

1. I would say Friday forsure, but not sure about tomorrow. That will be a tough one since the ride home will be bad on them roads. As well as I could see even some larger districts closed on friday if we get this flash freeze. Some schools have a large student body that live in subdivisons, and those roads will be a mess

3. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Our dirt roads arent very bad with all the scraping done by the county.

1. Thats quiet a suprise Travis, because usually Allegan County is one of the counties where the back roads seem to never improve very fast. I am mainly talking closings in Van Buren County. There back roads are still snowcovered especially in the Decatur area. Some roads there are STILL drifted shut and the county just closed those roads down for a while

How many snowdays have your kids had? We’ve had six here, which is the allowable limit.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I think Muskegon county has had 7, I don’t have kids, I’m young lol only 21 years old, I look out to those who want a snow day, I loved snow days when I was in school, so I can feel for those who want one haha!

1. Wswplz says:

* you mean any kids you are aware off….or rather claiming at this point and time..hehehe

26. Jen (Newaygo) says:

Newaygo has mid-winter break this weekend starting with half-day on Friday. Will be interesting for sure on closing. The district sent out a notice stating from here on out, any more cancellations will get added on to the end of the year unless we get a pardon from the governor for the excessive days.

1. Wswplz says:

I know this comment isn’t going to be popular, but I would like to see a bit more snow at least through the rest of winter. If it’s cold out, which it seems it will be for at least the near future, I figure why not enjoy the fluffy white stuff and all sports that come with. Then a few sunny days and average to below average temps until we slowly melt the snow….after that let’s hit the storm train hard this year so I don’t have to travel so far this year to see the my spring storms that I enjoy so much. ( can’t afford the gas ). :)

Keep the COLD and SNOW coming through April!

2. mk says:

With your apparent brain power, l wonder how you can operate a gas pump?

1. Wswplz says:

Let’s go grab coffee sometime mk, my treat of course.

2. Craig (Holland North Sider) says:

Wow, 0-1 inches… Who knew!

27. Stephen(North Muskegon) says:

Storms starting to fire up in Kansas and Nebraska!

28. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Lol.. Bill will become partly to mostly sunny later today.

Sounding better for SNOW on Friday! This from the NWS!

GOOD CONFIDENCE OF WIDESPREAD BLUSTERY WINDS 25-45 MPH WITH COLD
    AIR ADVECTION AND TIGHT PRESSURE GRADIENT BEHIND STORM ON FRIDAY.
    ALSO EXPECT SNOW SHOWERS THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON WITH DEEP MIXING
    HEIGHTS…CYCLONIC FLOW…AND GOOD INTERSECTION OF LIFT WITH
    DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE.

30. John (Norton Shores) says:

High wind watch for the eastern side of the state

1. Wswplz says:

I would take it, however I don’t think that will completely tell the hole story, based on the elevated temps with this system. We could get 2″ of snow but I think we will see a switch to rain / mix is during the day at least, but it is weather after all, so I guess anything could happen.

I will take any amount of SNOW that we can muster until out next MONSTER SNOWSTORM hits!

Wouldn’t this be nice?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Nope they can have those blizzards, blizzard conditions are no fun!

You’re kidding? There is nothing like a good old fashioned blizzard with about a foot of SNOW and wind chills around zero! Bring it!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I like the snow just not the blizzard part but for you I guess a blizzard would be fine with me.

Homeless people would disagree.

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

Yes defiantly not for the homeless peopleThe blizzard can stay away for them

4. suehelen says:

No thanks, Rocky. I think people have suffered enough this winter.

You call winter suffering? I call winter, cold and SNOW fantastic and so do the ski resorts and the other businesses that generate income from WINTER! imagine that!

Roof collapses, horrifying multi-vehicle pileups, utility bills at all-time highs, propane shortages, schools having to extend their school year, bursting water pipes, tooth filling-jarring potholes, inevitable widespread flooding, etc.

Yes sir, it’s truly unfortunate that this winter must end at some point.

32. I see a High Wind Watch has been issued for the east side of the state. Anyone think that one will be issued here? Because I know that it is going to be quite windy

I also came across this and though it was useful…its a definition of certain weather alerts:

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Well in the WWA they do talk about the blustery winds on Friday from 25 mph to 45 mph, plus possible 50 mph gusts on Thursday with a thunderstorm.

1. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

I hope we don’t have any power outages!!

That I agree with 110%!

No the GR NWS is way too conservative to issue a wind watch – just look at this past Monday! We should have been in a winter storm watch and then a winter storm warning and neither were issued!

3. Also, I could see there being power outages tomorrow as well due to the wind. Some trees may still be brittle due to the ice storm we had in December. I know there is a tree my my house that creaks and makes noises in the wind, and it never did it until after the ice storm

4. Wswplz says:

Did we have a WWO this year or only a WSWatch, I can’t recall…good info btw Kyle, haven’t looked at this page in quite some time.

18Z GFS now showing the heaviest rain down along I-94 tomorrow.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

NAM is completely opposite, ugh why do they always do this to us haha, I like the farther south solution on the rain, unfortunately I don’t think that will happen

2. Wswplz says:

Where else would it be, as storms prefer that highway…

ALL SNOW FOR GRAND RAPIDS TOMORROW!!! STORM TRACK IS CHANGING!! INDYY!!

Rock on INDY! Bring it!

After tomorrows storm (witch almost looks like a November storm BTW) it now looks like it will be cold and very dry with little snow and any snow that falls will be very light! And by the time the next storm effect our area it will be yet another “warm” storm with more rain and less snow.

And with the winds tomorrow I have to wonder how much ice on the Great Lakes will break up and move to and maybe on shore? Anyone living in the lake shore areas ever see the ice pile up on the lake shore? When we lived in Bay City in the springs of 1968 and again in1972 a NE wind pushed the ice onto the shore and there were many ice piles on over 50 to 60 feet. And along the way it took several cottages with it.

37. John (Norton Shores) says:

From Tom Skilling

Winter 2013-14′s favored cold pattern is to re-establish itself over North America by next week, driven by a huge, recurrent jet stream-buckling dome of high pressure aloft over Alaska. Longer range model forecasts have suggested this pattern is to dominate March, suggesting a colder, stormier than average weather regime which has characterized this cold season to date isn’t going away and is apt to persist quite a while longer. Average temps in the 6 to 10 day period forecast to run more than 20-deg below normal by the latest suite of computer model forecasts.

+ one trillion!

38. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

I don’t like the look of this. Especially for the northern counties. Freezing rain and high winds we can do without!!!

39. John (Norton Shores) says:

18Z GFS is not quite as cold as the previous runs for next week

1. suehelen says:

That’s good news!

Yes because that could mean the storm track will be heading right at us with more SNOW!

It looks like about 2 4 inches of SNOW to me!

41. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

Snow cover does make a difference in air temps. The US temperature map certain shows where the snow cover is on the ground.

NICE!!

42. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Just went outside around our property and into the field to take some snow depth measurements. I measured 19″ in my backyard as a low measurement, and measured 24-26″ in our field. So that means with the 44 and sun yesterday, and the 40 and sun today the snow has settled down roughly 3″. The snow is already refreezing and is crunchy when you walk, there is also an icy layer on top of the snow now. Looking like we will have a very deep moisture filled snow pack for a while to come.