Best View of Lake Michigan Ice

February 19th, 2014 at 7:19 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

modis lake michigan clear 2 19 14   Click on the image to enlarge or click here.   It’s a very rare totally clear day.  You can see the ice on Lake Michigan (snow covered where it is whitest).  You can see the slightly darker color at Milwaukee and Chicago, though Grand Rapids is hard to find.  The rivers are ice covered (see if you can find the Grand and Kalamazoo Rivers).  My snow-covered tornado scar is still quite visible northwest of Green Bay from the tornado in 2007.  Where there are more trees (esp. conifer trees), the color is a little darker (from Newaygo Co. north, across northern Wisconsin and the U.P.  There’s certainly still enough open water for lake-effect snow, though with the colder water and reduced distance over open water, accumulations would be lighter than with similar conditions earlier in the winter.  Now, check out Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and a wide shot of the Western Great Lakes.  Also today is the date with greatest ice cover in 1979, the year when we had the most ice in the satellite era.  With the Siberian Express ready to rock ‘n roll next week, I’ll bet we haven’t seen peak ice on the Great Lakes.

57 Responses to “Best View of Lake Michigan Ice”

Bill, Why Do you Call It YOUR Tornado SCAR ?? Refresh My Memory if Ya Plz……..staying Cued!! Almost Forgot…FIRST!! :-)

I’ve been showing that tornado scar since 2007 – no one else claimed it…so I just decided it was mine! Here’s the story on the tornado: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/wisc_tornado.html and http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grb/?n=070607

If you zoom in to it on google maps, parts of it are 1/2 mile wide.

Thanks Bill ! I thought There Was a specific REASON , why you called it Yours. No one else Cllaimed it, Works For Me !! And You as well, Obviously !! ” BTS” to U….lol… Stay Cued ! And THANKS for all YOU DO! ;-) .

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
    SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
    SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
    SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
    SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW
    SNOW SNOW SNOW 101 INCHES OF SNOW IN GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN!! BILL STEFFENS ROCKS!!! INDYY!!

1. Wayne (South of GR) says:

Bill, why do you allow this guy to ruin your blog?

How do u know I am a guy Wayne !!! First time blogger enjoy wayno!! INDYY

LOL.. How Many Sprites Did That Take YA….INDY ? My Friend …..Stay CUEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!! Heee,heeee

3. Andy says:

WOW INDY……you really need to grow the heck up…and seek help for Alcoholism!!!

Ok randy I mean andy!! just facts!! INDYY!!

4. Jordan (Twin Lake) says:

Dammit INDY you’re drunk again.

LOL, nice

I love it Bill! Great shot of the lake and keep the facts coming about the Siberian COLD express!

4. Wolverdog says:

Nightmare situation. Most neighborhoods have 3-4 feet of packed snow on top of drains. Without clearance we could have big flooding.

1. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

Homeowners should make sure the drains are clear if possible. If you know where they are & can do it – it will help.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Imagine when it all freezes. Yikes!

5. The street that I live on is already beginning to flood, and its not even raining yet. I went through the water and it was deep enough to slash up onto my windshield. Tomorrow should be interesting

Get your ice skates out!! INDYY..

In looking at the ice cover of lake Michigan there is less ice then I thought there would be. And if the expected wind tomorrow materializes the ice should all blow around a good amount and then push towards the Michigan side. And there is a good chance that the thin ice could break up. And with the open water that there is there still could be some lake effect snow if the other conditions are right.
    BTW its now down to 28° here now.

Yes, temps are dropping fast tonight, unlike last night with cloud cover. Hoping for not to much freezing rain tomorrow morning. We shall see.

Who knew?

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

When I stopped at the grocery store around 6 the parking lot was already freezing…quite slippery!

Get ready – more COLD and SNOW is coming! ROCK n ROLL will never die baby!

1. Ansel says:

how much?

Here is a good quote from Joe B
    “I have always found that when you make too much noise when it comes to the weather, the weather will shut you up.”
    27° here now.

ROFL!!! Great quote!

9. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

I’ve enjoyed the sun and seasonable temps the last couple days. Not looking forward to the possible flooding tomorrow though.
    On a side note, I LOVED Emily Linnert’s interview and gifts to Jimmy Fallon on daybreak. But I have a vested family interest in one of the gifts. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCzlvXKWTA Bill crank this one!!! Welcome 2 the snow machine!! INDYY…

Yeah gotta Love that P.F. Tune…Thanks IWS MACHINE!!!! Stay Cued !!!

2. Wswplz says:

Hey Indy when are ya going to have your shindig so I can donate some sprites to the track marshal at the yard of bricks , with a giant bond fire?

11. dano (Norton Shores) says:

The wind has really moved the ice around the Great Lakes, really interesting. Thanks Bill for putting those links on the site.

1. dano (Norton Shores) says:

Lake Michigan showing a lot of open water.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Christmas Canon Rock – YouTube
    ► 3:47► 3:47
    A TUNE, For The COMING….Siberian EXPRESS !!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!

There was definitely some melting today but you wouldn’t know it over here. Still 10″ on the ground here this afternoon. It felt great out, I can’t lie :)

Hope We Have CLEAR SKIES SUNDAY ,,,For ISS Flyover !! Sun Feb 23, 6:52 PM 6 min 55° 10 above NW 11 above ESE
    6 min. Flyover !!!

15. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Hopefully people don’t over react about the flash freeze on Friday. We should wait for the city to test out the roads and hear their reports before freaking out and closing things. I really hope businesses don’t listen to media (who is trying to make $$ by creating a juicy and over exaggerated story) and shut down their facilities as a result. Just head outside. Drive around a mile or so and see if the roads are icy, look at traffic reports, and listen to the experts. I’m hoping good decisions are made. Plus salt will work so that will help things.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Nathan, I realize you really want to go to your swim meet, but the roads really are probably going to be ugly. The rain will wash away a lot of the salt, or it will just collect in puddles. The strong winds may help to reduce the speed of freezing up, but it is still bound to be nasty out there…high winds, flooding, freezing up, and snow showers.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Usually when there is a flash freeze it isn’t as bad as anticipated… But once in a while it is. Hopefully this isn’t one of those times.

16. Cort S. says:

I am so sorry for you guys. Polar Vortex round 3 is coming up for you guys the end of this month.

POLAR VORTEX 3,,,,, Good Name For a MOVIE,,,IMHO !!!! Sequel….Coming IN MARCH ,,,POLAR VORTEX 4 ? ….stay CUED………. ;-)

Yep… Not good. It never ends…

17. Cort S. says:

There’s your low-pressure center in eastern Colorado:

By tomorrow afternoon, it’ll be in eastern Iowa and strengthening rapidly.

Wahoooo…..Cort,,” THANKS, CUE: Lowrider War – YouTube
      Artist: War
      IN HONOR. Of ” Our Low”!!!!! ;-) . Stay Cued.,,”"in UTAH”"”"”. ;-)

18. Darlene Yasick says:

Bill there is a picture going around Facebook that says it is a current picture from St Ignace that shows incredible snow banks. I think I’ve seen this picture before and it is not from Michigan. Wonder if you can verify https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1939885_10203222488185564_1298914837_n.jpg

1. Cort S. says:

A reverse image search on Google led me to this snopes message board from 2007 that discussed the potential origin of this picture:

Those are real pictures, but not from Michigan. They are from Eastern Canada, either Labrador or Newfoundland. I’ve seen them floating around the internet for nearly a decade now. I think I remember eastern Newfoundland, probably spring and they are trying to punch a road through.

1. Wswplz says:

Bill you think GR will see some flashes in the sky tomorrow, or will it stay to our south?

1. Wswplz says:

Looks as if they are pretty confident they will occur around the Indiana border looking at the convective outlooks. Guess we are pretty much on the 10% area later in the afternoon, I just wonder how our snow pack will factor in to the equation being that it does stabilize things a bit.

Again, reinforcing the fact that you cannot trust what you find on the internet (i.e. comments on this blog). WHO KNEWW?

19. Alan P says:

Bring on the severe storms, Maybe we will get lots of tornadoes this spring. (lots of snow….lots of severe weather, its only fair)

Careful….What ya Wish FOR.,,, I gotta feeling we Could Experince some NASTY STORMS…This Spring- Early Summer. Shay CUED !

20. Jacob G. says:

So a few late night model observations…March will trend colder than normal with above average snowfall…Ice peaks mid month on the Great Lakes and a shot at > 90%, we have a decent shot of going the longest with 1″ of snow on the ground, March will come in like a lion on the east coast with storm similar to that of March of 93…Of course this could all change but my current reading on the 00Z model suites.

21. Wswplz says:

So all is quite tonight, have a small suspicion tomorrow is going to be a different story. After work I found a little time to snap a couple photos of our impressive snow pack so as I have something to look back on down the road, since come this time tomorrow our surrounds should look a bit different. This storm system we have is quite complex given all the variables that need to be taken into consideration. One thing I noticed is very few predictions of what to expect tomorrow, and if predictions have been made they only deal with one or two weather elements. When there are events like the one we have forecasted for tomorrow one can really begin to appreciate how difficult it can be to be a met like Bill. Glad I’m not trying to figure this one out. Be safe on the roads everyone!!

22. Wswplz says:

Bill just FYI they added a second convective outlook for day 1 until 12z, so I think you might have it set so your maps auto update and it is currently showing Fridays outlook on your thread, not sure if you know or not..

23. Wswplz says:

Look at this map for predicted snowfall, wow!!

24. Alan P says:

There is a small town on the NE end of that “tornado scar” bill mentioned, go to street view (I did it on google earth) looks like the pics were taken soon after the tornado went through.