Winter Weather Advisory until 7 pm

February 20th, 2014 at 1:00 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

advisory  1730 UTC Day 1 Outlook  Friday AM – Very Windy (gusts to 40 mph) and cool today (low 30s much of the day) with snow showers likely…just a dusting south of Kent Co. to around 2″ in Mason County…main roads are mostly OK for the early part of the day, but snow showers could cause icy spots as the day goes on.  Some rural roads (esp. dirt/gravel roads) are quite icy.  It’ll be breezy on Saturday and temperatures will gradually get colder as the week goes on.  Siberian air arrives for the 2nd half of the week and that’s when we may set some low temperature records.

Earlier:   The Harrison Crib Water Intake about 3 miles east of downtown Chicago out in Lake Michigan had a gust to 70 mph last hour! – it’ll be interesting to see what these strong winds do to the ice on the Great Lakes.  Main line of showers/t-showers has moved out of our area.  The cold front and the strong winds have hit the lakeshore.  The wind has just gusted to 47 mph at S. Haven and 45 mph at Benton Harbor.   Temperatures on our local weather stations at 10:50:  GVSU downtown G.R. is 43, Jenison High School 44, Hudsonville 45, GVSU Allendale 44.     Temperatures at 10 pm and change in the last hour:  Benton Harbor 43(-5), S. Haven 47 (+2, but falling now), Kalamazoo 45 (+1), Battle Creek 45 (+1), Holland 44 (+8), Grand Rapids 38 (+2).    Winds are howling in Illinois behind the cold front.  Gusts to 40-50 mph now in the Chicago area.  Gust to 75 mph at Marion, Indiana.  At 6 PM the wind at Alton IL was west at 44 mph with gusts to 63 mph, Springfield IL had a gust to 63 mph.  Gusts hit 67 mph in the St. Louis area, where there has been some building damage (these were not thunderstorm gusts, just general gusts behind the cold front).  There have been 10 tornadoes in Illinois (video at link), along with reports of 60-70 mph winds and 1″ diameter hail.  Tornado Watches are out from near Lafayette IN down to Mississippi.  A Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect until 7 pm Friday.  Everyone is above freezing,  roads were mostly just wet.  We have a brisk e-se wind.  Here’s regional radar and current weather conditions in Michigan.  As the warm front approaches, temps. will start upward towards evening from south to north.  It’s was really warm south of the warm front this afternoon (at 4 pm, 74 in St. Louis, 72 in Louisville, 64 in Dayton, 58 Indianapolis).  The air has to go over a couple hundred miles of snow cover, so it won’t get that warm here.  The warmer air will only be around for a few hours, before the cold front arrives.  The line of showers and t-showers will push thru W. Michigan between 7:30 and 11 pm.  There were Severe T-Storm and Tornado Watches up from Indiana down to Louisiana ahead of the cold front Thursday PM.  The low pressure system is up toward Marquette.   From the Storm Prediction Center, here’s current severe weather watches and meso-discussions.   As temperatures warm, all precipitation will be rain.  Rainfall amounts of 1/2-1″ of rain will cause significant ponding of water on roads.  It’s now a Flood Warning for N. Indiana and the Michigan counties that border Indiana.   There will be strong winds through the day today.  We’re expecting wind gusts of 40+ mph in most areas, with isolated gusts approaching 5o mph.  Colder air will pour in behind the front, sending temperatures below freezing.  Rain will change to snow and we could see 1/2 to 1 1/2″ accumulation by mid-afternoon Friday, especially northwest of G.R.  Puddles will freeze up and roads will likely get very slippery.  The Friday AM commute will be nasty, with ice spots, strong winds and possible reduced visibility in snow.  There will also likely be some schools closed on Friday (some have Friday off already for winter break).   Winds will be strong all day Friday.  We could see breaks in the clouds by late Friday.  Saturday will still be breezy, but not as windy as Friday.  The weekend looks partly sunny and cool with temperatures in the low-mid 20s.  Next week looks unseasonably cold.  The European model forecasts high temps of 13°, 4°, and 10° for next Weds., Thu., Fri. and the GFS plot has highs of 10° on Weds. and 8° on Thurs. and 4 on Fri.

Also of note…snowcover at the GRR NWS (Ford Airport) has dropped from 24″ Tues. AM to 19″ Thurs. late aftn…we’ll probably lose another 3-6″ with the rain and warm air overnight…but there will still be plenty of snow…the rain will soak into the snow and it’ll all freeze up before daybreak Friday.  AGAIN – there is still a significant danger of roof collapses with the snow falling into the rain – also, try and shovel out fire hydrants and drains if you can.  We’ll have team coverage on the incoming storm at 10 PM on WXSP and after the Olympics on WOOD, TV-8.

Blizzard Warnings for much of Iowa and S. Minnesota…Winter Storm Warnings for Wisconsin…there’s also a Blizzard Warning for Keewenaw and N. Houghton Counties in the U.P…here’s the Midwest Alert Map.

SPC on the t-storm threat in S. Lower Michigan:  “FARTHER N OVER NRN PORTIONS INDIANA/OH AND LOWER MI…SVR WIND POTENTIAL DIMINISHES DUE TO PROGRESSIVELY WEAKER BUOYANCY. ALSO…LOSS OF SFC-BASED PARCELS IS EXPECTED IN RELATION TO PROGRESSIVELY DEEPER STABLE LAYER WITH NWD EXTENT…ATOP SNOW PACK. MEANWHILE…EVEN FOR THOSE STG/NEAR-SVR GUSTS THAT CAN PENETRATE TO SFC…SUBSTANTIAL TREE DAMAGE/TOPPLING ALSO BECOMES LESS PROBABLE WITH NWD EXTENT DUE TO FROZEN GROUND AND LACK OF LEAVES..”

853 Responses to “Winter Weather Advisory until 7 pm”

1. John (Grand Rapids) says:

Do you guys think that the GR AM commute will be heavily affected?

2. bobcat says:

Temp was 47.5 15 minutes ago here, 6 miles south of Holland. Wind went to crazy and dropped a temp within 10 minutes.

3. There were gust in the 90mph range down near Nashville, Tennessee. I can only image the tree damage and the power outages

4. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

We had a lot of heavy rain up here today, my street was hard to get up/down with and a lot of back rural roads so makes me wonder if they will have school tomorrow rather or not it rains any more tonight. God I hope they do, they just returned to school Wednesday after a 5 day winter break.

1. Wswplz says:

Ya, tell me about it..going up my drive into my garage was a bit slippery!

1. Wswplz says:

IMHO 2… Let’s hope we see some imagery like that in Michigan during our season.

1. Jesse says:

I vote pass on 90mph wind gusts.

All though we are reaching the high’s for the day now, I have only lost a third of the snow I did back in the early January thaw. The snow pack is now going to become very dense.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yeah, it is going to be a glacier.

West Michigan seems to have a lot of “midnight highs”. It is odd how common it is.

1. Wswplz says:

We will be returning to Michigan’s original state, many moons ago.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yay! :)

In the winter with the low sun angle, the amount of solar radiation is less important than the advection (air moving into your area) of warmer or colder air, so you tend to have a higher number of days when a high or low temperature occurs at an unlikely time (warm at night, cold in the day). That’s rare in summer, when systems are weaker with less contrast in temperature and when the sun is high in the sky.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

That makes sense. Great explanation, Bill!

6. Huge flash of lightning and lost power for 5 minutes but back on now

7. John (Grand Rapids) says:

Is there a good time estimate on when this will all freeze over? I missed the 10PM forecast update…

8. tinainvbcounty says:

And the wind has arrived…..

I just stood and watched our skies go clear, in about 3 minutes!! Those clouds are flying to the northeast….. and I can hear the wind in the treetops. Temp is up to 38 degrees (although if the wind really kicks up – it might get warmer by blowing the cold out of our “bowl”). It’s going to be a long noisy night, I’m afraid.

10. on the grand says:

We just spent a hour digging a path for the street water to flow somewhere. It was like a large swimming pool. Almost up to the knee in places. The mailman would not drive through it to deliver the mail. I had two sump pumps going in the driveway just to get rid of the run off. So I wonder how many other roads are in the same mess.

The temp here is 38° the high for the day so far. It may not get much above 40° here but we shall see what the next couple of hours bring. I went out and took some snow measurements (believe it or not there is bare ground around the house now) but anyway I now have between 14 and 17” of snow still on the ground and what is left will be come very hard when it gets cold over the next several days. This snow will stick around for quite some time and the bigger snow piles there is now ice near the bottom of them so they will really stick around a long time.
    Also all of the ice on the road with a little water on it is now very slippery.

12. Very large power outage just east of Brekenridge. In the Merrill area

One more note Alpine between Richmond and the old Chrystal Flash gas station (Mobil now) is almost un drivable with all of the pot holes! And its also bad under the railroad bridge as well. After tonight I will stay away from that area.
    Also the temp is now up to 42° here!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I am going to be staying away from Old Grand Haven Rd. between Norton Shores and Ferrysburg for a long time. That road has been falling apart for years….tonight, it was literally falling apart as I drove on it. I could feel and hear the rock rolling under my car. At first I thought it was road salt, but it was clearly the road.

If you’ve ever been around here, you’d know that the road is AWFUL.

They are awful everywhere this winter. Getting worse by the day.

1. Mark (EGR) says:

Burton is ridiculous in stretches right now as well.

2. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

They are rebuilding most of that this summer Matt, so hope is on the way. Just not soon enough for us…..

I’m getting the strong winds now. I think I’ve topped out at 40*. Temps to the south and west are falling. I’m interested to see how the winds effect the ice near the lake shore.

1. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

It was amazing to see on the cam how quickly the ice was melting on Lk Mi in Grand Haven. I actually saw where someone was on the ice on the far side of lighthouse & the waves splashed him. He high tailed it in.

15. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

We are getting the strong winds here too. Our lights though have been blinking since dinner time. Hopefully we don’t loose power.

16. John (Norton Shores) says:

I still have about 26″ of snow on the ground, some compacted tonight so that is why, but anyway a little of 2 feet still, snow piles didn’t melt much if any and are still very big!

17. John (Norton Shores) says:

Clare public schools are closed tomorrow, just north of Mount Pleasant, I imagine we will see a lot more coming on within the next 5 hours.

I don’t think we have any bloggers from Clare.

18. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Wow I just woke up from the strong winds. My house is vibrating!

Hey TRAVIS …Your facebook PIC. You posted Here a little bit ago of Your ROAD. Was just on TV 8 11:30 pm NEWS!!! Nice

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

I made sure to watch the news, and I saw it as well.

YA YA YA YA!!! ROADS ARE GETTING SLICK WITH 40 MPH WINDS OUTSIDE!! POLAR VORTEX 3 IS HERE!!! INDYYYY!!

What UP…. INDY…Call UNCLE JACK !!! Staying CUED!! Very, VINDY Outside YA, YA!!!

21. 52nd street just east of Eastern is horribe!! there were litterly 4 cars with flat tires on the side of the road in that area. On my way back they had the road commision there filling in the holes. Lets just say the holes were huge

I have Gotta Solution for the POT HOLE Money to Fix our ROADS !! Even gotta Slogan….. Stay Cued & Puff, puff, cough,cough….PASS……. ;-)

22. Jo Anne says:

Prayers for everyone to be safe from harm and evil, in Jesus’ Name, Amen!..+..

Amen! Sister! ….. +……

A Tune for U Jo Anne !! SPIN ::: Russ Taff – I Still Believe – YouTube
      ► 4:31► 4:31
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neF_q6j4gkE. Stay Cued & God Bless !!

1. Jo Anne says:

Thanks, Jack! May God bless you and your family!…+…

23. Cort S. says:

Wow, GR spiked up to 43 in the hour before the cold front came through. That was fun to watch. Very short duration, and I think the small-scale models handled it quite well.

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

I had hope that i would be warm enough and last longer so i could plow the slop off my drive down to the gravel. Nope,it is a sheet of ice. So i get to spend 2hrs in the morning spreading sand with shovel and buckets. 260 foot drive with 2 hills. Not fun at all. I had to do it last month also.

24. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

My friends messaged me around midnight saying they were stranded at the bottom of a hill on my road. They walked to my house, and are now staying the night because our roads are pure ice, and they couldn’t make it up the hills. It’s very thick ice as well…enough to ice skate on.

1. Vincent(N.E.Kent CO) says:

You’re pic was on the news tonight of the road. Looks like my driveway.

25. Wswplz says:

Looks like north of GR maybe an inch to 1.5″ of snow tomorrow, and pretty dry until next week, even then maybe just a couple inch snow events, looks pretty quiet and cold!!

26. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Lots of lightning last night! Not sure how long it lasted. Fell asleep during the middle of it.

The warmup definitely condensed the snow pack here, but it was by no means a major melt off. Snow piles are still huge and there is plenty left on the ground.

I see Charlotte is closed again today……

1. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

Haha, thanks for the breaking news! That’s why I love this blog! :)

Seriously, though, I am sure the gravel roads are horrible today.

We lived in Charlotte until two years ago, in town on Prairie St. I have one friend that lives on Stine Rd. and another on McConnell. I’m sure they’re just a mess.

2. Ben (Charlotte MI) says:

A couple of guys at work are talking about all of the schools that are closed. I can’t escape it!