Monday

February 24th, 2014 at 3:08 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   bill steffen look-a-like Yankee Doodle ParkingI’ll leave radar at the top with some snow flurries/snow showers coming thru.  My daughter (#1) sent me the picture on the right from I believe the parking ramp at the airport in Chicago (Yankee Doodle Level).  She had to look twice – thought it was me.  The overnight run of the GFS plot has mid-afternoon temps. over the next 8 days in G.R. at 17, 18, 9 (up to 16 Weds. night), 9 (Thurs. PM), 11, 20, 16, 20.  The average high goes from 36 to 38 during this period.  No big storms, but occasional mostly light periods of snow and snow showers.  The European model (which has tended too cold with minimum temps. in general) has 6 of the next 10 mornings at zero or colder in G.R. with the coldest a -12 Friday morning.  It has light snow or snow showers each day thru 3/2.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s Closings.

69 Responses to “Monday”

1. Scott (robinson twsp) says:

Looking forward to avg temps at this point.

The resemblance is uncanny. LOL

3. Dan says:

Yes that picture is unreal! It looks exactly like you Bill! 18 degrees some very light snow falling. Looks to get colder through the week.

4. Dan says:

So they got the race in! Lots of active Thunderstorms around that area. Did anyone catch the 20th anniversary of the attack on Nancy Kerrigan. Time to move on I get it. Made me think.about what I was doing back then. Nancy trained extremely hard to get back to competition level!

5. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

GR has had 1″ of snow on the ground for 83 consecutive days. This season is now in 8th place for the season with the most days in a row with at least 1″ of snow on the ground. I have no doubt this season will easily move into 5th place for consecutive days with 1″ of snow. That will happen on March 7th. The big question is will this season become the #1 season. To do that GR must have at least 1″ of snow on the ground from now until March 21.

1. TomKap (GR-Michigan & Fuller) says:

Nice. Post a TV13 link in a TV8 blog.
        The intelligence in here astounds me on a daily basis.

1. Michael g (se GR) says:

Tool.

2. AJ says:

I don’t think it matters. Weather is weather. At least DJ is talking about the weather instead of calling people names.

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Wow. You really are a grumpy old man.

2. phlrnnr says:

The funny thing that nobody noticed is that this WZZM link is from 2010. It is not even about this winter. The article mentions a snowpack from 3″ to a max of 11″. Bill has stated before on this blog that this winter we have had a snowpack as deep as 24″ in GR.

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

Good point. I admit I didn’t notice. So when did GR have the first inch of snow on the ground that has stayed on the ground? I don’t think the record has changed since 2010 but the start day likely has.

And keep in mind that 2.6″ of snow on the 8th was not on the ground at 7 am, when the daily snow cover is reported. So if you start at 7 am, you have to start with the 9th.

6. ~Sherry~ (Comstock Park) says:

It sure could be you Bill!! You must be doing some modeling on the side!

7. Michael g (se GR) says:

Amazingly there is still no end in sight to the way bolow normal winter like temps, even as we head into meteorological spring. Could well be some record lows/ low maxes set later this week.

Wow, I was an echo of you this morning… I should read the comments first.

Still Snowing Outside!! INDYY!!

9. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

06Z GFS is back on board with a snow storm clipping southern Michigan early next week. This map is from the 06Z model….about 4-8″ would fall south of I-96 if the track of that storm sticks.

The 6z also has no relief from below normal for almost the entire run.

10. Travis (Oakland County) says:

It was a very nice weekend. Average temps and mostly sunny both days for me.

Pretty boring pattern starting to shape up now. Cold and dry for us while Alaska and the upper northwest get warm again.

Has anyone checked out those ice caves north of Leland? I’ve been seeing pictures of them all over online. They look pretty cool!

Last I heard, they’re closed, because all the wind earlier this week opened the water dangerously close? My daughter and her family took pictures there the prior weekend – it was pretty amazing!

The pattern we are in is nuts… all the lower Michigan climate stations have shots are record low maximum temperatures many days this week.

Updated February departure from normal, expect these to drop like a rock the rest of the month.
    GR: -7.0°
    Lansing: -7.1°
    Muskegon: -6.9°
    Detroit: -7.0°
    Flint: -6.8°
    Saginaw: -7.1°
    Alpena: -7.4°
    Sault Ste Marie: -5.7°
    Marquette: -7.0°

I’m looking forward to when those numbers have a + in front of them.

Agreed, hopefully May for the start of sailing season. :)

2. yooper4021 says:

March can’t be this bad…. can it?? On the bright side, I finally got most of the snow/ice cleared from my driveway. Nice to see the concrete.

1. Craig (Holland North Sider) says:

Same here yooper. I got everything scraped down to the concrete as well. I even saw a bit of grass at the edges, nice to see it is still there. Almost forgot what grass looked like. I was trying to guess how much snow I lost last week. My best guess is probably 8 inches or so. I realize some of that is compaction as well but it seems to be “down” about that much.

Yeah – I’m happy that my dogs can no longer stroll over our 4′ fence….LOL!!

3. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

The GR NWS discussion mentioned that later this week could be the coldest air of the season when compared to average.

Still Snowing !!! INDYY

Welcome to the last Monday of February 2014 I had a trace of new snow here this AM and the temp is now at 17° Its cloudy but there are thin spots in the clouds. As we head into what will at least be a cold start to March lets take a look as some past cold March’s for those of you who believe in the so called analog years it the past 21 years (according to Joe B) there have been only 3 that are somewhat similar (so far) to this winter (2013, 1996 and 1993) In thouse 3 years the average snow fall in March was 7.4” (2013 7.7 1996 3.0 and 1993 11.5) so none of them were really all that snowy but if this March is close will put GR well into 2nd place for seasonal snowfall. The average temp for March in the 3 years was 31.7 with 1996 being the coldest (28.5) and 1993 being the warmest (32.4) So will see how March of 2014 plays out!
    It should be noted that except for last year the other two Marches did have a day or more of temps into the 60’s. In fact going back to 1991 The only years GR did not have a 60° day in March were 2013,2008, 2002, 2001 and 1992.

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

1992 was a cold summer.

Also as it stands right now (and as DJ mentioned above) it looks like GR will have at least 1” or more of snow cover on the ground until at least March 10th and likely longer. Now the question is can we make it to and or past March 21st ? I feel that we will still have many snow piles around on March 21st as for the general one inch we will have to wait and see.

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

We’ve both been watching this record for awhile now SlimJim. Considering the current long range forecast for below normal temps. I think GR will beat the old record.

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

I should say, current record. It only becomes the old record if there’s an inch of snow on the ground on the 21st.

Flint has 10 days to go for an all time record.
      Detroit has 18 days to go for an all time record.
      Both currently stand at #3 on the all time list.

3. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

The source I provided above in my original post at 6:49 am about 1″ of snow on the ground is from 2010. Does anyone know when GR received the first 1″ of snow this season that has stayed on the ground? I don’t think the record has changed from 2010 but I’m sure the start date has.

1. Wswplz says:

Hey DJ, did you ever finish your snow digging exploration / experiment? If so what were your findings?

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

I did finish. I was busy last night and forgot to post the findings. I’ll do that now. Here’s the link to the thread.

It’s hard to say if the snow can stick around that long – despite the cold temps over the weekend, we still had melting going on – the sun is high enough to be a “snow-eater” now?

On the other hand – now that Lake Michigan is open again – we’re getting Lake Effect. Not sure if I should laugh or cry about that….

15. John (Norton Shores) says:

GFS has up to 14″ of snow by early next week in lake effect areas, so we welcome back the lake effect again.

1. Wswplz says:

Might as well enjoy some more snow while we are still cold. I can tell you when spring does finally arrive, it will be a welcome sight that’s for sure. The question is when will that be? http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/interactive/index.php

16. Stacsh (Grand Haven) says:

Just curious. Have we ever received a large amount of snow on February 29th?

I show the record snowfall for G.R. for 2/29 as 4.1″ in 2008 and in 1960.

17. Wswplz says:

At least we are not located in the pink zone, as I hope it doesn’t verify for folks to our south either. We are however right tint he middle of the blue area. Cold…! Not looking forward to the Siberian ice princess at all!

1. Wswplz says:

Check out the forecasted precipitation for Ca….! There is going to be some flood issues at west most likely, I sure hope not. Not to much in our near future, just what the lake generates for the next 5-7 days.

1. SW Kent says:

They really need the rain and mountain snow.

1. Wswplz says:

Very true, just hope it’s spread out and they don’t get dumped on.

18. mr. negative says:

Who said our snow must melt?…our current snow cover makes a wonderful permanent base for the next generation of glaciers to build on.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

haha! I stepped on top of it yesterday to see if I would sink. I only went down about an inch (which was the only part softened by the sun). Other than that, I remained on top of the base.

19. Les says:

Dear Bill,
    Is it ever going to get warm?
    Tired of all the snow in Belding..

20. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

Hopefully we will get at least an inch of lake effect by tomorrow so I can go snowmobiling. It would be nice to wake up to a surprise 3+”, but I doubt I’ll get that lucky. I believe it was Tom Skilling that said this March could rival last years March for how cold it is. If thats the case I will still have a decent snow cover into April like I did last winter. I believe I still had patches of snow on the north side of structures/trees into the 2nd week of April.

21. nostradumas says:

maybe when there is still snowpack on Memorial Day and downtown GR is closed due to flooding the weather experts will let you in on what’s really going on with these cold air masses. these upcoming temps are the new norm. we will easily break the yearly snowfall record because it will still be snowing in may. whitecaps baseball, the river run, and festival will all be cancelled this year – maybe even artprize because the snow will start up again come September. you won’t be laughing when you’re paying 10 bucks for a gallon of gas in October. the best thing about predicting the future is that you don’t have to prove anything.

Welcome to the mini ice age baby! Get used to it!

22. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

According to Acculess March is going to rival February for how cold it will be compared to average. I never believe Acculess, but sometimes its fun to see what they have forecasted way out.

Has anyone noticed it is COLD outside and it is SNOWING! Imagine that! Who knew?

GREAT news it is almost March and in March we will be seeing well below average temperatures and above average SNOW! I don’t know how this winter could be any better! I guarantee you that we will be breaking the all time record for consecutive days with SNOW on the ground! Mark it down!

25. Do you think tornado season will be delayed this year due to the cold? maybe beginning in late may early june?

The cold might set up for many tornadoes this year. The battle between cold and warm brings the tornadoes, probably not here though. We’ll see.

1. Perfect. I am going tornado chasing in Kansas this spring so it should be good!

I just hope the worst tornadoes are south of Michigan.

Just for ever ones information. There has been a constant snow cover on the ground here in GR since the 8th of December 2013 when 2.6″ of snow fell.

Lets review some facts! A few week ago the warm weather nuts were clamoring about warm air arriving and winter being almost over! Ya right! About three weeks ago I said that we would be seeing cold and SNOW for about the next 6 or 7 more weeks and of course many people said no way and it would be warming up when the calendar turned to March! How did that work out? We will be getting hammered with the Polar Vortex when the calendar turns to March! Long live ROCK n ROLL!

1. suehelen says:

The fact is, Rocky, that spring will come. It may be April before it gets here, but it will come like it always does. It’s going to get warm and the snow is going to melt. Enjoy your winter while it lasts.

Oh ya I am enjoying the BEST WINTER EVER and I am making plans for a ski trip to Boyne MT the first week of APRIL! I love it!

2. Paul m says:

Let’s face the facts.third week in March all the snow will be gone.

BILL, That Yankee Doddle DANDY Picture !!! Looks Nothing Like You,,, You Look MUCH YOUNGER Than That !!! Plus, Your Famous Mustache is Not Twisted on The Ends. Your Welcome,,,On The YOUNGER Comment…LOL. Thanks for All U DO & God Bless You & Your Family…. :-) …. BTW…. Stay CUED….. ;-)