We’re #2! We’re #2!

February 27th, 2014 at 10:29 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Calumet snow Vicki Crystal Rachel Juntunen WLUC    As of 10 am, Grand Rapids is up to 107.8″ of snow for the season…we’re now in 2nd place for snowiest winters.  The record at the airport is 132″ in the winter of 1951-52 and that’s not impossible to reach yet, with odds at maybe 20%.  Also, Kalamazoo has now topped 100″.  They are up to 101.5″ this morning.  Muskegon’s 10 am total is 123.6″ and Holland is now at 143.5″ (the modern record for Holland is 159.9″ and we should come close to that).  The temperature at 10 am is +7 in Grand Rapids with a wind chill of -14.  Big Rapids is +3 with a wind chill of -19.  Houghton in the U.P. is -13 with a wind chill of -37.  The coldest temperature in the Lower 48 states this am was -41 at Ash Lake, Minnesota.  We’re headed toward record low temperatures overnight in Lower Michigan.  Watch Storm Team 8 to see how cold it’s going to get!  Delaware in the U.P. has 52″ of snow on the ground and 274″ for the season.  Pic. from Calumet is from WLUC

129 Responses to “We’re #2! We’re #2!”

1. Craig (Holland North Sider) says:

I know that I fall into the category of becoming bitter about all the snow and cold. I guess we all have our breaking point and I hit mine awhile back. I love winter but personally I am ready for it to end now. I am more of a summer outdoor guy. At times I know I have shaken my head at comments of “more snow please!” Obviously it is nothing personal to anyone and I could stop reading the comments but I do enjoy what people have to say and there are many insightful comments and links that I enjoy. Soon enough the snow will end and melt, summer will be here and I will be irritated that it is too hot! Keep up the good work fellow posters!

1. SBPortage002 says:

The bitter cold spells are the most depressing thing, not really the snow. If we had more normal winter temps, i think the snow on the ground would be kept more under control, but with all the bitter cold it really hasn’t had a chance to melt. I know I have been close to the breaking point numerous times. But with each passing day, the sun is getting higher, and while it will probably be a cool spring, anything is better than all this bitter cold.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Lol…wonderful post, Craig! I will be complaining about my grass drying out and by insects attacking me. Gah! If the temp was low to mid 70 with no humidity or insects, I would enjoy summer much more! Regardless, I love going on my hikes as well.

1. Brenda (Otsego) says:

Yep, those are my favorite temps too, with low bug count, which is probably why I like spring and fall best.

1. SBPortage002 says:

My favored temps…75-85 with low humidity.

2. Craig (Holland North Sider) says:

Thanks Matt! I just needed to get that off my chest. I know I don’t post a lot but some of my recent posts have probably come off fairly negative. I guess I need to stop driving by my favorite golf course until the snow is gone!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Hmm…I saw that the band made a dash inland and then fizzled. Why do lake effect episodes often end with an inland push right before the band fizzles? This seems to be a good predictor that the snow will end soon.

3. Brett says:

What do you guys think about school CLOSINGS tomorrow?

1. shelbyville says:

I doubt it, roads are clear, not much wind expected, and some schools have exams…It going to be chilly, but administrators are going to want the kids in school.

4. Cupcake says:

Feel bad for my son who works outside all day installing fences….brutal!

5. Lesa says:

Awwww…..Come on guys!!!!! Only 2 FEET left to go and we take the lead!!!!!!

(all done now.)

6. Skipper Reynolds says:

This seems inaccurate, when I was a kid in Michigan we walked uphill to school bothways in 36″ of snow, Thanksgiving to may 1st… :) at least thats how I remember it.

7. Melissa says:

Has Holland, MI beat the record snowfall yet? Is there a source that posts that info?

Holland’s records are unofficial and have gaps where months and years are missing, but the modern record is 159.9″ in 1969-70 and we are at 147.8″, so we’re about a foot shy of that.