Wind Chill Advisory

February 27th, 2014 at 3:34 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

advisory   Just got word that the Amtrak train that comes from Chicago to G.R. is stuck in a snow drift south of Holland.  A Wind Chill Advisory has been issued for the entire area until 11 am Friday for wind chills of -10° to -20°.   Here’s current temperatures – watch ‘em drop!  At 1 AM G.R. is -9, Big Rapids -15, it’s -22 in Cadillac and it’s been as cold as -31 in Pellston.  It’s also -18 on Beaver Is. and -25 at Houghton (Lake Superior looks pretty much frozen over again)!  The high pressure center is over SE Lower Michigan at 1 AM.    There will still be slippery spots  Friday because of the drifting snow that we have had today.  Temperatures will likely set record lows in most areas for the Feb. 28, and a few maybe for coldest ever so late in the season.  Grand Rapids would have to get to -14 for that to happen and it could happen.  Daily record low temperatures for 2/28 are -2 for G.R. in 1970, zero at Muskegon in 1925, 63 and 70 and -18 in Lansing in 1884.  The lowest high temperatures for tomorrow are 21 for G.R. in 1900 and 1912, 18 in Muskegon in 1897 and 12 in Lansing in 1875 and 1884.  Winds will pick up a little out of the southeast during the morning, keeping wind chills well below zero through the midday.   NAM (caribou) forecast low temperatures tonight:  -1 GRR (too warm), -16 LAN, +3 MKG (too warm), -7 KAL, -14 Jackson, -21 Mt. Pleasant (not impossible), -11 Cadillac (too warm), +5 Holland (too warm).

The morning run of the European model gives G.R.  these high temps:  Fri. 17, Sat. 27, Sun. 15, Mon. 14, Tues. 19, Weds. 23, Thurs. 34, Fri. 38, Sat. 33.  The NAM (caribou) has 16 Fri., 26 Sat., 16 Sun.   NAM snowfall for G.R. is 0.7″ Fri. night and 3.7″ Sat. night.

In case you missed Jack’s Northern Light’s Pic.   Here’s trimming trees from a helicopter.

216 Responses to “Wind Chill Advisory”

1. yooper4021 says:

An even 0 here in Belmont

2. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

-2 here in Hesperia.

3. yooper4021 says:

-14 in Grayling and -12 in Cadillac at 8pm.

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

That’s insane…I wonder what the record low temperatures are for both 2/27 AND 2/28 in those locations, because they could break 2/27′s record before midnight and the same after midnight perhaps.

4. I know there are a lot of people talking about school closings for tomorrow. I foresee more 2-hour delays than anything, given the Wind Chill Advisory expires at 11 A.M. Some district could even just go in since they missed so much this year, especially Kent County schools given that we need to have -30 wind chills to close. -30 seems waayyy to cold, and we rarely do that. I think they set the bar high just so they don’t have to close. Instead of all counties having different wind chills, it should all be set at one (maybe colder for those in the U.P. since they are more used to it). A Elementary student in Kent v.s. Ottawa county can’t handle the cold any better than the other.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I can foresee the same thing, I would think there would be a mix, some of those rural districts that still have drifted over roads from today will probably be closed but most will most likely do two hour delays.

2. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

I agree with you Kyle…but different schools have different circumstances:walkers, like in zeeland where i go, high schoolers have to walk between two schools

3. John (Grand Rapids) says:

I certainly don’t see any schools operating on time in Kent tomorrow morning… the wind chills will be -20 to -25 at 7am. We will see what they decide to do.

Not that many people are talking about school closings.

5. dereks says:

Now it’s -6 in northeast Montcalm county.

6. John (Norton Shores) says:

I think some locations will be colder than forecasted tonight.

1. John (Grand Rapids) says:

I was thinking that too.

7. yooper4021 says:

Records shattered up north…

RECORD EVENT REPORT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MARQUETTE MI
    726 PM EST THU FEB 27 2014

..RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET TODAY AT NWS MARQUETTE

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE TODAY AT THE MARQUETTE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OFFICE WAS -1 DEGREE…WHICH BREAKS THE RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 12 DEGREES SET IN 1980.

THIS ALSO MARKS THE LATEST SEASONAL SUB-ZERO MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE ON RECORD…SURPASSING THE RECORD DATE OF 2/22 SET IN 1965.

-20* TO-25* DEGREES FOR GAND RAPIDS TONIGHT WILL BE A ALL TIME RECORED!! JUST LIKE THE SNOW COMING UP THIS WINTER!!! -8* OUT AT THEE YARDOFBRICKS AS OF 9PM!! DRINKING MORE SPRITES AND FEELING COLD TONIGHT!! INDYY!!

Off Sub- ” PUCK”…….. Red Wings have Scored 6 Goals , and it’s only in the 2nd Period . Six to 1 is The Score !! Keep the PUCKIN Goals Coming RED WINGS !!!! STAY ” PUCKIN ” CUED!!!!!!!!

1. Ryan (Rockford) says:

Franzen LOVES playing in Ottawa apparently!

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

Yeah, about time they start scoring goals. Seems like they have been hard to come by this season. If they can keep the scoring going I feel they will once again become a force in the NHL with all the young talent they have coming in.

3. Brian (Grandville) says:

Looks like a W again tonight. Any northern lights tonight Jack?

Lol … I ain’t Going OUT- Side to Check, it’s 2 darn COLD !!! But here is The Link Bro. BRIAN !! http://www.softservenews.com/. Goo WINGS….. & as always………. STAY CUED!!

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

Just checked when I got home from work, nothing yet. Activity has decreased somewhat since earlier, but it could re-fire at any time. I have a large window with a clear view of the Northern sky with no lights around so I’ll keep checking.

10. Ryan (Rockford) says:

The bottom continues to fall out on temperatures, as I am sitting at -8.3 on the northeast side of Rockford. We’ve had lows of -13.5 and, an ALL-TIME whopper of a low for me, -22.5 degrees earlier this winter. It looks like the -13.5 will be easily broken, but I’m extremely anxious to see if we can push that -22.5, a temperature I’d never thought I’d ever see once, let alone possibly twice. The “drop” in temperatures started later tonight than those other nights because of the additional daylight in late February, but I’m wondering if that will ultimately make a difference as the night progresses.

At 9 PM its -4° here so will see how cold it gets tonight. Looks like the record low for February 27 is safe. That low is -12 set in 1994. But once it gets past midnight and becomes February 28th if it gets below -2° at the airport then we will set a new record low for February 28th Also the record low maximum temp for the 28th is +21° so GR has a chance to set two records tomorrow!

12. Cupcake says:

Feel bad for my son who works outside all day installing fences…brutal!!!

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Can they even dig post holes in the ground right now.

1. Cupcake says:

Believe it or not – yes! They have equipment that can bust through anything – even frozen tundra!

13. John (Norton Shores) says:

Grand Haven public schools are the first to call a two hour delay for tomorrow

14. paul m says:

GrandHaven public 2 hour delay Friday

1. Well If Ottawa County closes past -15, and I’m sure many areas will in Ottawa, why would they delay? Wouldn’t they close?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

They delayed this morning to Kyle but they stayed open.

2. John (Grand Rapids) says:

They could always delay then cancel, but the lakeshore should be slightly warmer than inland areas.

1. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

They delayed because of exams

2. John (Grand Rapids) says:

Probably true, gostate

15. -3.3 at 9:00pm in Breckenridge, were going to really crash tonight.
    19 sub zero days and at midnight will be at 20 days below zero, amazing winter.

1. Going to be a ton of 3 hour delays tomorrow

There are some indications that the snow cover we now have could be with us well into March and I feel we have a good chance of having parking lot snow piles still around into April. But we shall see. As for the record seasonal snow fall records. We know we will move up towards 1st place but in reality we still have a ways to go and it would take a couple of bigger snow storms to do it. My guess right now is GR will fall short of the 132” needed for the seasonal record BUT we already have set the winter season record (December/February) the old record was 94.9” set in the winter of 2007/08 BTW the average (Dec/Feb) snow fall for GR is 52.1”

We will still have plenty of SNOW on the ground in April and the ski resorts up in NW Lower will be open with great ski conditions. I already have a trip planned for skiing in April! It does not get any better than that! INCREDIBLE!

17. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I wish the temperatures were just a little warmer so I could go running outside… These sub zero temps freeze my lungs shut! I’ll happily take 25 with snow showers any day. As for tonight low temperatures, I’m thinking many areas will near the -10 degree range (on the last day of meteorological winter!!) with wind chills around -10 to -15. Stay warm everyone :) I’m not sure how big of an affect Lake Michigan will have, but with the near calm winds, I think the only influence would be right along the shore.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I am sooooo with you there. It is hard for me to go for my long walks when it is as cold as it has been. 20s with no wind, and fluffy snow falling would be perfect!

18. Brett says:

In my car I already have a reading at -10 rockford

19. Diesel says:

-6.7 in Cannonsburg

20. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The latest update from the NWS states that temperatures will range from 5-15 below zero with locals NW of GR near -25. That’s excluding the wind chill… Although without a strong wind I don’t think that will be a huge problem. Areas along the shore will be warmer because of cloud cover and a verrrry slight lake breeze, so let’s be thankful about that! It’s pretty incredible how cold it is this late in the season, especially considering that tomorrow’s record low (for a high) will likely be broken (18 degrees).

1. paul m says:

Wind after midnight is suppose to be se at 5-10mph

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

About 6mph, so near calm. That’s why wind chills will be only slightly colder.

21. weather watcher Newaygo/Oceana says:

I have -6 currently. I could see -11 happening for my area tonight easily.

Its now down to -5° here. Will see what it is in the AM

1. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Looks more like a 4-6″ event now, instead of 2-4″. GFS has been weaker, but we’ll see what the 00Z model shows.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Why is the heaviest snow shown to jump over the lakeshore again?

23. John (Norton Shores) says:

Sturgis is now delayed two hours, I think you may be right onto something Kyle!

24. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

I’m expecting most schools are probably going to be delayed, except maybe the larger districts like Grand Rapids.. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see rural schools closed due to all the drifting that has happened.

1. Cupcake says:

Hey! Love your name “gostateorgohome”!

1. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

Thanks

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Let’s GO STATE! Penn State! Alma Mater… :)

So now we have to hear about 2 hour delays through the course of the thread. I’m gonna issue a 2 hour delay to take my dog outside in the morning.

Now that I think about it, she will probably pee on the floor. But it will defianlty be delay criteria.

LOTS OF SCHOOLS WILL BE CLOSED TOMOROWW DUE TO COLD!!! WE ARE AT -11* NOW OUT AT THEE YARDofBRICKS PUT A HAT ON DRINK THEM SPRITES AND FEEL COLD TONIGHT!! INDYY!!

10/4 Good Buddy !!! Put the Hammer Down on Dem Dare, Sprites 2- NITE !! Won’t FEEL the CCCCOOOOLLLLLLDDDD ALL RIGHT!! Stay Cued at THEEEE YARDofBRICKS!!! :-)

27. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

Pretty much if there is quite a significant chance of a snow day/delay it will be talked about on this blog…

28. gostateorgohome (zeeland) says:

Grayling down to -19*

29. Wswplz says:

It’s interesting to compare the nam to that of the WPC as they have a similar storm track with both, however the areas for snow accums differ slightly. Also extend the time out when you click on the link later in the day Sunday as it would bring the snow further south. You can see how Fridays snow is forecasted more to the north and a bit west, then into Saturday night the better areas seem to be closer to the 96 and south where the better moisture can be tapped into. As always we shall see.

1. Wswplz says:

* actually sorry I just read my own post and realized I was mixing scenarios as the snow on Saturday being more of a better chance to the south due to change and magnitude of the temperature. Aka FGEN

1. Wswplz says:

* of fours wind direction and speed play a large roll to where that will set up…lol. I’m tired zzzz

2. Wswplz says:

* Of course….uncle already…

30. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

-11 here and I expect at least -20 by morning.

31. Yooper6102 says:

-23 in Pellston at 10pm. Several other -20s in the UP.

32. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

-10 in Hesperia.

33. dereks says:

According to the weather channel app on my kindle it is -11 in northeast Montcalm county.

1. Wswplz says:

It’s -9 here in Cedar Springs..

34. Robert (Plainwell) says:

It’s -11 here. The house is popping.

35. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

-13 now. Who’s going out to check for northern lights?

1. Wswplz says:

Lol, running to the store so I’ll be the ginny pig, hopefully I’ll catch a glimpse of the lights and not thee bright light!

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Or……hold a bright flash light and run north……..

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

Hey Matt are you going to be issuing any weather headlines for the weekend?

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Perhaps… :)

We are going to be in between systems though and the lake will not come into play very much. Perhaps some lake enhancement tomorrow night.

36. dereks says:

-13 in northeast Montcalm county now too.

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

dereks, you must be near Vestaburg?

37. Jen (Newaygo) says:

-12 here and falling!

38. Ryan (Rockford) says:

-14.4 makes this the second coldest night of the season thus far for me. I think it will be quite difficult to reach my record of -22.5, but still remarkable cold especially since it’s almost March.

39. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Big shift to north on GFS for snowstorm: Last night: http://204.2.104.196/gfs/WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif Now: http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif I’m back on the 6-8 line again.