8″ of snow, 100 mph wind gusts – in HAWAII??

March 3rd, 2014 at 10:39 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Hawaii snow 3 3 14 Marilyn Enness Mauna Kea    This picture was taken by Marilyn Enness Monday morning.  This isn’t Michigan – it’s HAWAII!  Yup, this is up on Mauna Kea at over 11,000 feet above sea level.  The forecast for this Monday was for 5″ of snow in the AM, 1″ in the PM.  The summit actually reported 8″ of new snow! They had forecast temperatures in the 20s, 60-80 mph winds and gusts that could reach as high as 100 mph.  A High Wind Warning was in effect.  The same storm produced a record daily rainfall at Kahului.  Rainfall totaled 2.81″ at Kaupo Gap.  A High Surf Warning was issued for “high surf along the north and west-facing shores of Kauai and north-facing shores of Oahu, Molokai and Maui of 21-28 feet Monday night and Tuesday and 15-22 feet along the west-facing shores of Oahu and Molokai.”

19 Responses to “8″ of snow, 100 mph wind gusts – in HAWAII??”

1. dano (Norton Shores) says:

Any state this year that hasn’t had at least a trace of snow?

Every state has reported snow.

The next Question is When is the Last Time that Happened?

2. Wswplz says:

So wasn’t Missouri the hold out, or Mississippi I think they were for a while , I’m to tired to look it up… Hawaii has a ski resort if I’m not mistaken, which sounds weird. Looks like the light snow is to come early in the morning. Why does this map show heavy snow poss to our north, just above ludington??

1. Wswplz says:

* Mississippi hold out for snow that is or was rather a while back, as I think Bill mentioned it….

There was one single day when at least one place in every state had measurable snow on the ground – except for the state of Missouri. That was just for one day. It’s also probably something you’ll never see again in your lifetime.

Hawaii doesn’t have a ski resort, but people have, on rare occasion, taken skies and/or snowboards up the mountain when they have snow up there. One drawback is that the top of the mountain is all solid rock, so you’ve got to be very careful that you don’t get hurt.

3. Marilyn Enness/Stanton, MI says:

No ski resort…here’s the write-up from a travel page: Mauna Kea (Hawaiian for ‘white mountain’) is a 13,796′ (4205 meter) volcanic mountain whose summit sometimes gets a skiable/boardable mantle of snow. There are no lifts, no grooming, no resort, but a road goes to the summit to serve the dozen or so world class observatories located at the summit. You must have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to get to the summit, which serves as your “lift.” Basically, skiers take turns being the driver, who picks up the other skiers at the bottom of the runs and ferries them up to the summit.

Thanks, Marilyn!

5. Wswplz says:

Ya that seemed odd that Missouri would be the exception, but I remember that comment…thanks for the refresher and fun facts…I don’t think I would try skiing in Hawaii, I think I’ll stick to water sports in Kawaii as that is still my favorite Island…

Holy cow, you’ve lived quite a life already. Lived in California, Idaho, and I can’t remember where else. Went to college in California and played college football for or against Jim Harbaugh. You’ve even been to Hawaii. You’ve done/seen more already than most of us will do in our lifetimes. Plus you’re a weather nerd. That’s awesome!

7. Wswplz says:

Lol…Well it sounds a little like your throwing a flag as I like to say, or to be more direct, think I’m full of B.S. I can tell you , your summary sounds much better than I remember. I should however at least set the record straight, I didn’t play against Harbaugh, he coached in San Diego when I was there as an athlete( different school) haven’t lived anywhere else but what you mentioned, I’m sure many have been to Hawaii as I have many times, and last I don’t think many would consider Idaho impressive. Hehe

Sorry if I came across that way. My intentions were genuine.

I think it’s interesting. I have family in Twin Falls, ID – near the Snake River Canyon. And one of my Army buddies is a macadamia farmer on the big island. A visit to him is definitely on my bucket list. Someday. :-)

9. Wswplz says:

No worries my fault….I guess I responded as I did because I believe in being honest, and see no benefit in making up things there aren’t true on a blog. Lol

3. Jared says:

When was the last time that every state has seen snow in one winter, if that even happened before?

PHOTO of The Day ” Northern Lights ” in Maine ” !! http://www.softservenews.com/photos/large/1381304_10202567321971014_1561199343_n.jpg. Beautiful !!! & Yay…GOD… +….

1. Sandy (Hudsonville) says:

BEAUTIFUL!!! THANKS FOR SHARING.

3. Edward Novakowski says:

I VISITED MY SON IN THE MILITARY IN JANUARY A FEW YEARS AGO IN HAWAII. A MAN FROM THE DETROIT AREA WENT HIKING IN THAT AREA WAS LOST IN A SNOW STORM. HE WAS JUST FOUND IN LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. LEAVE MICHIGAN IN JANUARY AND GET LOST IN A JANUARY SNOW STORM ON HAWAII!!!! GO FIGURE!!

Back in the ’70′s, Mauna Kea had a Ski Patrol! And talk about tough – they had no snowmobiles to move the emergency sled around and air is pretty thin at 13,000′….LOL!! Although it sounds like a lot of injuries happened when people ran off the snow and into (hardened) lava fields…owowow!