More (light) Snow, Continued Cool

March 3rd, 2014 at 11:59 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

nohrsc  nohrsc2  low temps  The high temperature of 15° tied for the 13th lowest high temperature ever in G.R. during the month of March.  I must be getting used to it, because it didn’t feel quite that cold.  The full March sun and a nearly calm wind made a difference.   The first map on the left is snow cover today across the U.S. and southern Canada.  57.3% of the Lower 48 states has a snow cover this morning.  The average snow cover is a healthy 7.1″.  The middle map is snow cover across the Western Great Lakes.  This area has a 100% snow cover this morning with the least at any weather station on the map 1.4″ and the most 59″. The average snowfall for weather stations on that middle map is 21″!  The average water equivalent in the snowcover on the middle map is 4.6″.  That’s a lot of water locked up in that snow.  Over much of the area, the ground is either well-frozen.  A significant rain combined with snowmelt would create significant flooding.  Grand Rapids has 19″ of snow on the ground.  Over the weekend, we peaked at 20″.  The most snow we have ever had on the ground in any March before now was 15″.  Other snowcover reports:  9″ Big Rapids, 13″ Alma, 15″ Hopkins and Hastings, 16″ Lansing, 20″ Holland and Kalamazoo, 21″ Muskegon, 24″ Cadillac, 25″ Traverse City, 31″ Charlevoix.  Snowfall Sunday totaled 8.7″ at the southern end of Lake Michigan at Porter, Indiana and 8.4″ at Portage, Indiana.  Hillsdale MI had 5.5″ and Chicago picked up another 4.5″.

The map on the right is low temps. this morning.  By my count, 18 states had below zero temperatures somewhere and some of the numbers are very cold.  We made -8 in G.R. (31° below average).  Other lows included -5 in Muskegon, -6 in Kalamazoo, -8 at the Regional Airport in Holland, -9 in Lansing, -10 in Battle Creek, -19 at Big Rapids, -20 at the Manistee Airport, -23 Cadillac, -28 Baldwin, -30 Pellston, -32 at Leota in Clare Co. and -34 at Indian River.  The coldest spot in the U.S. was -36 at Crane Lake MN.

The satellite loop shows lots of ice on the Great Lakes, but still some open water (especially on Lakes Michigan and Ontario) to generate some lake-effect clouds.   Roughly 2,300 flight delays in the U.S. at noon (Monday).  Tropical Storm Kofi threatens Figi.

193 Responses to “More (light) Snow, Continued Cool”

1. C.W. says:

Isn’t it nice when school is in session. The REPETITIVE Rocky of Rockford isn’t on here saying the SAME OLD things over and over and over. If anyone is in agreement, please chime in….

I guess I don’t know what the difference would be in someone wanting cold snowy weather, and someone oh yes, they’re on here, wanting severe storms, and ongoing oppressive periods of heat. Both can be dangerous/deadly. Though no matter what we say or hope for, it makes no difference in what the weather will do. I don’t think anyone hopes or wishes for death of homeless, or animals. I can only speak for myself though. I do think there are a lot of people that have had just about enough winter for a long time, and are becoming plain irritated and feel the need to blame something or someone. I don’t blame them one bit. Lashing out at people, anyone for any reason is the wrong thing to do. If we don’t like what someone posts, we should simply scroll down and move on. I try to be reasonable for the most part, and a bit humorous at times. We all should try this. We do not control the weather, no matter what we say or hope for. BTW, if you don’t know me, I will be on here in the summer complaining about the heat and humidity. I can’t stand that stuff.

Fewer insults and condescension and more civility would be refreshing but not likely, unfortunately.

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Word.

2. AJ (Cedar Springs) says:

3. yooper4021 says:

+1…..and lighten up a little too.

3. D Mac. (Mattawan) says:

In a world of stress and depressing news, getting excited about something gives us a small chance at being like a child. What’s so wrong with that? (Tomkap,fixer,and everyone who forgot how to laugh) If Rocky wants to get excited about snow let him. There is a lot of great information on here(most comes from the ones you are blasting). The posts from all our favorites makes me laugh. Keep up the good work all, stay positive and let’s finish this winter with a bang.

4. Dan (Byron Center) says:

They claim we snow lovers are the ones hurling insults! Look at the posts see for yourself. Wswplz: I agreevwith your post. TomKap said we sold our soles. Ok! I’ve just been called evil. People need to grow up and take a chill pill! Bill moderates the blog on some level. Back to the weather, clipper on the way! Its 8 degrees.

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Maybe he meant we were shoe salesmen. Like Al Bundy?

Dan it’s called I traass’s warm army and fixer is the general on Bills blog!! Let it snow let it snow let it snow!! Sprite it up!! INDYY!

3. Wswplz says:

Ya, never mind the ridiculous posts from ” some ” Dan as they will remain miserable no matter if there is snow on the ground or sun and blue sky as far as the eye can see. For some folks will always find something negative to say as that has been a part of their lives for many many years and often go to great lengths to throw a wrench in a perfectly spinning wheel just because they know nothing different. There is so much to be thankful for and it’s sad that some will never be content as they know not what there looking for so would rather attack others to elevate themselves… :)

+ 100 Trillion Gazillion!!!!!!!!!!

5. Paul m says:

Bill said 1-2 inches at best nothing to get excited about!
    I love the snow but hate the brutal cold temp were having.my 4 boys can’t go outside in this cold air mass!
    Ready for spring but it would be cool if grr broke there snow record.

-1 here now. It’s dropped 11 degrees in the past two and half hours.

It’s a cold +5° here now for yet a very cold March night. Still looks like the next week to ten days or more will stay on the cold and some what dry side. I shoveled a extra path to the road. In that path there was 33 to 36” of snow and ice. With the make up of this snow and ice its going to take a long time for it to be all gone! As least with the cold temps and expected sun shine we should lose the snow slowly for the next few weeks. My guess now is that we could keep a good amount of this snow for the rest of March and it may be April before we have a lot of bare ground and depending on how much rain with warmer temps we have there could be parking lots glaciers well into April

00Z RDB model gives GR 2.25 inches of SNOW by Wed AM! Get ready to ROCK!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Im thinking more along the lines of 1.5 inches, but we shall see. I just don’t see that much moisture with this system. After all… it is a clipper system with a lack of energy.

9. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Why does the heaviest snow on the radar seem to be heading straight at me? All the forecasts say Grand Rapids and north will get the accumulations… http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/northeast-region/weather-radar?play=1

10. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

18Z GFS has a high of 10 degrees on St. Patrick’s Day. Ouch. Also, 16 day precip. is down to 0.34″ means cold and dry will rule, unless the pattern changes. This is boring.

1. Jacob G. says:

12Z Euro has snowstorm early next week, don’t tell anyone. Still need several runs to confirm this

11. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Wow. I wasn’t on all evening, and am glad I wasn’t around for all the bickering going on. I really do hope everybody has a wonderful evening.

I am surprised at how little melting has taken place. I thought the sun would do its work, but there was barely any melting here. Now, if this was lake effect snow on the ground, it would have been gone. Synoptic snow lasts longer.

The sun can only do so much when the temps are in the single digits.

On the other hand, I was surprised how much melting occurred with it being so cold.

Glass half full v empty, I guess.

12. Ben Lamfers says:

It got down to -15.4 7.29 AM. Lacrosse equipment. Sensor mounted in the center of backyard away from any buildings. Location 1439 Woodland Jenison

Great job Bill – keep blogging. I am always amazed at those red eye creations, 3.00 AM is common.

Do you think there is a chance to get to 132 inches as in 1952

13. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

6 degrees ABOVE zero – yea!!!

14. Paul Thurman says:

Are snow totals data ever collected for Zeeland? I find it actually a little insulting to hear GR weather broadcasts talking about 100″ of snow when I know darn well I’ve shoveled at least 40% more than that off my drive in Zeeland. If we haven’t gotten 12 feet of snow in Zeeland, I’ll eat YOUR hat! It was snowing when I left GR for Florida a week before Halloween, and it was snowing when I returned, a week later. Well guess what, that was more than FOUR MONTHS ago and it has scantly went more than a single day when it hasn’t snowed in Zeeland. I’m not complaining mind you, it’s just that Zeeland, being 10 miles inland, some years gets hammered WAY more than Grand Rapids and sometimes even way more than Holland. Some years the lake effect seems to skip us almost entirely, but other years, it’s supernatural how ominous and prevalent this uni-cloud and snow is. Days and weeks without seeing the sun, and months without seeing it save for an occasional day here or there. And not just cloudy mind you, but so cloudy that there is no definition of a cloud in the sky… no horizon to be discerned just a solid gray from horizon to horizon, weeks and months in a row of it. Why I almost have an inclination to question if something man made causes this phenomenon which would seem to fly in the face of reasonable nature. Yet, it never really seems to be a news maker, hmm nnmm. It snows here so much in fact (often almost every day for a quarter of a year) that one would think Zeeland would be at least a mention, if not a running total icon for West Michigan. Ok, I’ve spoken my peace. Thank you.

Holland’s season snowfall (estimated at the Regional Airport) is 148.8″. I don’t know of anyone who keeps a season snowfall record for Zeeland. I would assume that Zeeland’s season snowfall would be very close to the Regional Airport total.

1. Paul Thurman says:

Thank you kindly Bill. Some years Zeeland seems to get by easy with most lake effect missing us. Other years we get the brunt of it. Many times over the years I would drive towards GR and see sunshine in my windshield, and a darkness in my rear view mirror over Zeeland. Again I appreciate the answer, at least now I know I’m not going crazy when I say it sure feels like we’ve gotten 12+ feet here.

15. Drew says:

Guess we hit the bullseye with the snow – we have had almost 7″ of snow since midnight in Twin Lake