Cool Pattern Continues

March 7th, 2014 at 5:02 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

marquette subzero days   The overall cooler than average pattern will continue for at least another couple weeks.  Here’s the GRR NWS discussion.   Model update:  The NAM (caribou) is dry for Friday night/Sat.  The GFS-plot prints out 0.08″ of a mix to all snow..maybe half an inch.  The European has 0.07″.   The GFS plot is pretty cool (too cool I think) and has highs beginning today (Fri.) of 33, 30, 31, 34, 35, 25, 26, 34.   The Euro. would take us to about 44 next Monday.  The models have most of the big storm next mid-week going SE of us.  The GFS would gaze us with a couple inches of snow.  The Euro. is still pretty dry.  It would be a close call for the more significant snow…so stay up with later forecasts.  There’s more on the lake ice and lake levels in the threads below this one.  Happy Friday.  (pic. from NWS Marquette).

244 Responses to “Cool Pattern Continues”

I am off to enjoy the BEST WINTER EVER! Imagine that!

2. Dan (Byron Center) says:

43 degrees from my location. I must admit I thought 40 was the high for today. The bright sunshine is awesome!

The News about The Russians…..Keeps ” RUSHIN” IN.. LOL… ;-) . Stay Cued .. ;-)

1. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Wow… Did you go to the Kalamazoo Symphony concert that’s been going on all week? That had a Russian pun there too with some good music. My friend composed a piece and they played it. It was a great show. It’s free.

4. reality says:

cant win. in savannah,ga. only 45 today

Now to see things clear it’s hard enough I know
      While you’re waiting for reality to show …………….. Nice, To See Ya…. ” REALITY”………. Stay Cued….

5. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

Travis (Oakland County) I left a link on the previous page that now opens the NWS temperature page link to Michigan.

Here it is again in case you Missed it.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Awesome thanks! No more opening to the UP haha

I’ve been out enjoying the weather. What did we get up to? 46 degrees?

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

43 here.

46 in G.R. – but the day is still 3 degrees colder than average because of the cold minimum of 11 this morning. So, the first week of March is an amazing 16.1° colder than average!

Thanks for The Link D.J. ( book marked))…

1. DJ2450 (Central Gratiot) says:

Travis provided the link. I just change the Lat. and Lon. so it would open to Michigan. You’re welcome.

7. SW Kent says:

46 in Byron Center

8. Cort S. says:

This is cool… check out this time lapse of a river changing course:

1. Wswplz says:

What period of time is that Cort?

1. Cort S. says:

About three decades, 1984-2012.

Here you can look at just about anywhere in the world:

1. Wswplz says:

Gracious…!

Very Cool CORT ,,, Gives ah Whole New Meaning to…… ” Watching The River Flow”. ( Bob Dylan Classic)…. Thanks 4 The Links Sir CORT S…… Stay Cued….. :-)

Hey Bill, Did ya Get ” Your Ears Lowered a Bit ” ?? As in a Trim…… Inquiring BLOGGERS Would Like To Know!! Lol… Stay ing CUED…… ;-)

Don’t Forget ….WE LOOSE ahh HOUR of SLEEP, zzzzzzzzzz,,, This Weekend ! Have a Great 1,,, Stay Cued, 4 – 50 degrees SOON…. ???

11. Wswplz says:

Looking forward to seeing SPC outlooks similar to these…

12. Wow I made it to a high of 47 degrees today. My high temperature occured at about 4 this afternoon. I predicted 42 degrees as a high, and I thought that I was going out on the limb as going to high! The power of the sun this time of year is incredible

1. Wswplz says:

Hey, but that’s the great thing about weather as your prediction was closer than that of most the pros and yesterday you were spot on. If this were an exact science most of us would not be able to lob our educated guesses out there..and a few times a month act as if we knew all along, and then ask the question..What were they thinking? Hehe… :)

1. Wswplz says:

* of course this doesn’t apply to folks like Cort / Bill on this blog who naturally know what they are talking about.

1. Wswplz says:

* Just so I’m clear the last exception was made in reference to us arm chair QB’s so if there are other pros out there I do apologize and those self proclaimed as well.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

That’s getting very close to ” stay tuned to later forecasts” for all of us.

2. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

How come everyone’s saying the storm will stay far south? Maybe they just don’t want to scare anyone. Better safe than sorry, to use a cliché.

13. Dan (Byron Center) says:

Well you come from the land of the ice and snow…

Let me Finish that for Ya DAN ….. Ah, ah,
      We come from the land of the ice and snow,
      From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.
      The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
      To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

Ah, ah,
      We come from the land of the ice and snow,
      From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
      How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
      Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords.

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you’d better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
      For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

1. Dan says:

That is it, Jack! The Immigrant Song. A Classic song for sure~

14. SW Kent says:

What a beautiful FRYday.
    We hit 47 in Byron Center.
    My snow depth has gone from a high of 28 inches to a current measurement of 17 inches.
    4 of the next 8 days over 40.
    Rocky, it’s time to clean off your golf clubs.
    Courses will be open by April fools day.

15. GB says:

I saw grass today GRASS!

GB….. I see and SMOKE Grass Daily, for Medicinal Purposes !! Stay CUED…. Lol.. ;-)

16. We reached 49F in Greenville today. One station reported just over 50F. It was an awesome day. Went cycling for the first time since December! Felt good.

17. We reached 49F in Greenville today. One station reported just over 50F. It was an awesome day. Went cycling for the first time since December! Felt good.

(reposting, as I made an error in the email field last time lol)

18. Jacob G. says:

We slipped back on total ice coverage today, looks like we topped out at 92.2%, not bad for being the first real cold winter in a while. Last time it took 3 winters to build up to 94.9%.

19. Bernie at the lakeshore says:

Sap was coming out of the trees for a few hours then the clouds put an end to it. I need more sunshine to warm up that treebark. Maybe by Monday I’ll have enough to fire up the evaporator and cook up some sugar.

20. paul m says:

Were rocky at?

1. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

He says he’s out enjoying the “Best Winter Ever,” as he says.

21. Winter2014iscomingtoanend says:

Haha yes it looks like that alleged snowstorm will pass us to the south. Mid 40s on Monday, 40 on Thursday and just cold for the most part on Wednesday and Thursday. Back into the 40s by the weekend. Sorry to burst your bubble winter people but spring is starting to make an entrance. Muwhahahaha.

1. Wswplz says:

Really putting yourself way out on the limb with that prediction given we are 6 days into March….Good thing I was observant and saw your name otherwise I would not have known.

22. Mark (EGR) says:

Anyone tracking snow cover in their yard/on their property? How much snow cover do you estimate we lost today? An inch or two?

1. Tom H. says:

I was at an average (of 4 spots in my yard) of 19.75″ two nights ago, now down to 17″

1. Tom H. (Allendale) says:

…in Allendale

23. on the Grand says:

Have a split rail fence in backyard, the snow was at one time above the top rail, but today its is below the first rail.

1. Cali1005 says:

SO that’s like what, 3 inches?

24. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Aha! I wouldn’t call this far south. Very close and already some decent snowfall totals on the 18Z GFS: http://wxcaster4.com/gfs/CONUS2_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_120HR.gif We’ll get through this winter soon.

1. Wswplz says:

Jeremy my reference to south was people below 1-94, so I’m not sure what your definition is, but most consider three rivers to be somewhat south..lol

1. Wswplz says:

* and if I remember correctly three rivers is south of the 1-94

1. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

It is. Down in the area with no big towns and not much opportunity. Some models were taking the storm south of Michigan. Now it seems to be a close call as you were saying. The storm track has been far south this year.

2. Wswplz says:

Yes, for the most part it has, hopefully we can get lucky next week, still a long ways out….

2. Cali1005 says:

Uh oh better shut down all the highways cuz it looks like 2-3 inches of snow is coming our way.

3. Cali1005 says:

And 5 inches is nothing when you consider how brutal this winter has been.

25. Jacob G. says:

So 00Z GFS is sticking to the less phased solution along with keeping a lot of the moisture along the gulf coast. Let’s see what the 00Z Euro says, but both of them have been consistent with their forecasts. I hate to say I would favor the Euro with handling the seasonal feedback issues as it is the more superior model. Which one is going to blink first?

1. Wswplz says:

Hmmm that was a fairly significant change…wow

2. Cali1005 says:

I’m a little slow. Does that mean snowstorm or not?

3. Brian (Grandville) says:

Sunday’s data should have a better handle on the system. It gets real interesting, and tricky to forecast this time of year.

1. Cali1005 says:

Well Bill said tonight that it would amount to little and the dry pattern next week with temps in the 30s and 40s for the most part will mean a slow snowmelt.

26. Brian (Grandville) says:

Getting mixed precip. right now.

1. Wswplz says:

I saw that you might be getting a little something in your area from looking at the radar and some heavier spots to your south. This storm for next week is looking a little iffy unless we see some better indicators and soon….It’s a bit odd to have the weather like this after so many consecutive days with cold temps and snow. Seems like something is missing….lol

27. I was suprised it was Raining out when i took the pooch out for a potty break. Felt like a heat wave copaired to last night!