Grand Rapids reaches 50°

March 14th, 2014 at 1:29 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Chicago glerl    Grand Rapids reached 51 degrees at 1 PM – the warmest since 12/5 (98 days ago).  At 6 pm, G.R. is back to 44.   We had a gust to 46 mph at the Regional Airport in Holland.  Gusts to 41 mph in G.R. and 43 mph at S. Haven.  The warm wind is melting the snow…down to 8″ at my house with some big significant bare spots.  Note in the picture (from the Chicago GLERL camera) that the wind has pushed the ice away from Chicago and you can see some whitecaps on the water.  Other highs so far today:  42 Muskegon (cooler at the lake), 45 Fremont, 47 Battle Creek, 48 Kalamazoo – it even got above freezing briefly at Houghton in the U.P.    ALSO:   This graphic of North American temperature anomaly (difference from average) for the 3 winter months (Dec., Jan., Feb.) shows that much of Canada and the U.S. had significantly colder than average temperatures.  The North American difference from average was -1.572°C (-2.83°F).  Over the last 20 years, winters in the U.S. have trended slightly cooler.  Here’s the Upper Midwest Region.

93 Responses to “Grand Rapids reaches 50°”

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

First one today. I am glad it is warming up, we need a break from the ice and snow.

2. michael g (SE GR) says:

Pretty sure I got a little sunburn during my run.

1. Joseph says:

Considering that the sun angle is similar to that of roughly the last week of September, it would be possible to get sunburn in mid-March. Sometimes, it happens even in the wintertime if there’s enough reflection from the snow….

3. Travis (Oakland County) says:

You know it’s sad when Traverse City and the U.P. beat you to 50 degrees a few days ago. Heck, the U.P. hit 60.

It’s going to be a cool spring for anyone near the lake.

1. Wswplz says:

Travis and everyone for that matter, have a good video you should check out, not supper detailed as it’s short, but something to consider…

Not being sarcastic btw :)

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Too funny. What’s scary is that people actually believe that guy.

1. Wswplz says:

I used to watch him in San Diego on KUSI he does a great job. I’m not going to get into ” the debate ” since it’s over…hehehe ala you know who, but I though you might get a kick out of it.

2. Cort S. says:

Wsw: From what I’ve seen so far, a good number of his arguments from the 7 to 11 minute mark a very weak. Very weak. If this was presented to a graduate-level classroom, it would be met with dozens of questions like “What about this nuance in your [method / data set / physical conceptual models / definitions]?” These are healthy questions to ask in a scientific discussion as long as it’s done in good faith, which this debate hardly ever is.

1. Wswplz says:

Yes I was thinking the same, as I mentally took down notes, I had about 7-10 glaring questions that popped up immediately. It does however make some great starting points for discussions and also brings up things in which I personally agree with. For example I think this discussion has become to political in nature and should be more centered in the scientific arena. I also think we need to slow down a little before jumping to some conclusions ie carbon credits etc until we learn more about what going on we can’t enforce such policies, because in the end all you do is create more doubt skepticism in our government for one as well as the science. Also he implied that Revelle said we should just wait and see what happens….wait and see, that’s not good.

2. Wswplz says:

Did you watch the whole thing? I only watched about that much the first time I opened it, as it was a little slow and very basic but did end up finishing the clip. If only it were that simple , should we be that fortunate for everything to fit in a nice little box, I think not….In a very basic description of my opinion, I believe the truth to be somewhere in the middle of the debates , with much room to gather information before final summaries . That’s why I would like to have a healthy debate with out all the typical charged political rhetoric etc…I would like to learn more.

3. Cort S. says:

I have now. I don’t have much to say about the history or Al Gore shaming, other than… be careful about what conclusions you draw. Yes, there’s probably nefarious politics involved (but to deny that nefarious politics doesn’t happen on the other side would be naïve). Also, real climate scientists should not be lumped into the same group as Al Gore. And don’t think that any real scientist would doctor up whatever conclusion in their research that would keep the money rolling in. As someone wiser than me said, “that’s not how science works.”

But man, are there certainly a lot of issues in the 7-11 minute part of the video…

4. Wswplz says:

I agree with what you say about science only following the money trail, you can’t make a blanket statement like that in my opinion, as you say that’s not what it’s about nor the reason most arrive in that field of study. That would be a bit like saying all teachers are only in it for the money.( could find a better analogy, basically works ). Also completely agree with the political ties as I mention above, Al Gore should not be the standard , nor do I think many good scientists align with him anyway. The problem with this being ” Climate Change ” can now easily be classified a left wing agenda, without really in essence removing science from the equation and therefor curbing debate before it can be had. I would love to talk with someone like yourself who knows more than I do. Even if it’s not your field of expertise, you know much more than the average joe, like myself. :)

5. Wswplz says:

Remove – ” without really ” in essence……..sorry on mini tablet.

I didn’t watch the video you were commenting on, but there are plenty of “real scientists” that think that “…use Mike’s trick to hide the decline” should raise the skeptical eye of the impartial scientist. Here’s a link to Dr. Judith Curry’s Senate Testimony: http://judithcurry.com/2014/01/16/senate-epw-hearing-on-the-presidents-climate-action-plan/

7. Wswplz says:

Thanks Bill for the link, I will definitely take a look. The video we were referring to was from your friend John Coleman, you should watch it if you haven’t already. Thanks again Bill.

4. Florida1993 says:

So we’re down to under a foot of snow in Grand Rapids? That’s pretty amazing when you consider we were at 23 inches a month ago and we have been cold for the most part and have had no significant rain events.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

We went from about 18″ from the Ground Hog’s Day to just patches like a week or 2 later. This snow is hanging on very well considering how warm the sun feels this time of the year.

1. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

During the blizzard that is, not this year.

5. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I hope Kevin.w gives a update on how many trees he was able to tap. The fun part or the hard part is gathering the sap each day. I love the sweet aroma of boiling sap.

1. Wswplz says:

Larry the last sentence in your post reminded me of this: :)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Are you a bully?

1. Wswplz says:

Ummm I don’t understand Larry, help me out, why do you say this?

2. Wswplz says:

I guess I’m a bully…I’m really not, but would love to hear where that came from, the clip I posted was from Apocalypse Now , and that was Robert Duval, not sure how I then became a bully. You are entitled to post as you wish… :)

2. suehelen says:

I didn’t watch the video, but i can guess the scene. ;-)

3. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am just joking. I think you are a good person.

1. Wswplz says:

Okay..Why thanks Larry…You as well. :)

En route to Chicago to celebrate my Irish heritage. Sprites, sprites, and more sprites. Play nice, bloggers.

Oh, 56 on the car thermometer outside Michigan City. Fantastic day!

CHEERS….Sprites and SPARKKEE TREATS !!!

7. Wswplz says:

For everyone who is routing for Spring, here is a tid bit you may like the sound of, that I came across today.

A SURE SIGN OF SPRING SEEMS ‘TO EMERGE’ WHEN/HOW THE GLOBAL MODEL
    SOLUTIONS FIND LITTLE IN COMMON WITH EACH OTHER ONE DAY…AND THEN
    THERE BECOMES A ‘NEED’ FOR ADJUSTMENTS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE FLOW
    PATTERN–THE NEXT DAY. ADDING VALUE/MORE DETAIL…AND THE
    IMPLICATIONS TURN INTO A POSITIVE…IS WHAT SPRING FORECASTING AND
    CHALLENGE IS ALL ABOUT. TODAY’S FORECAST AND FOLLOWING DISCUSSION
    HOPE TO RELAY THOSE ADJUSTMENTS AND HIGHLIGHT THE DIFFERENCES.

HALF WAY TO 100 !!!!!!!!!!!! Happy FRYday !!…..Stay CUEDDDDD !

1. pog says:

Jack….Happy Bday…..just a couple months behind ya…..keep um cued!

Huh, Half Way to 100 DEGREES ! Not AGE Wise ! I’m Pushing 60 years OLD …. & YES, I Will KEEP UM CUED!!! Happy “Fry”day !!!

9. Jeff (Richland) says:

I think there is something wrong with the thermometer at the Kzoo airport, they are only reporting 45 and I have seen it reading what seems to be low many times recently, usually by 5 degrees or so. My phone shows 51 in Kzoo.

1. SC (Marshall, but works in Battle Creek) says:

Nope, we are 47-48 deg, very windy and partly cloudy in Western Calhoun County.

I am at 50° so the slow melt down continues. Here in my yard the snow is down to between 6 and 9 inches the end of drive way snow piles are become somewhat smaller (but still very large) and more and more bare ground is showing up on the south side of the house and I can now see the basement windows on the house to my north. Yes I believe spring will really come this year yet (but on the cool side)

Now as to when will we be snow free. That is all the snow gone! At this time I will use the date of April 15th (subject to change) it’s the big parking lot piles that will take a long time to melt as they are more like ice piles now instead of snow piles.

1. Wswplz says:

+ 1agreed

12. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

This must be a powerful cold front becuase the wind is absolutely howeling outside right now. I’m sure glad I not in Muskegon, this 51 is so much better lol

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Brag :P I want to see 51 here! Lol my wish won’t come true I’m sure until the middle of April!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The bright side is that you’ll keep your snowcover longer I guess!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I actually want the snow cover gone, I’m ready for warm weather and the tracking of storms! :) bring on the summer of 2014!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Yay! lol

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

:p I think you made the snow stay longer Matt lol! I guess if it’s going to be cold there might as well be snow on the ground, cold with nothing is boring!

13. Wswplz says:

Hey Master Cort, I have a question for ya…. Can you explain this further, as I only have a basic understanding. Cut and paste below.
    …OVERVIEW…
    THE TRANSITION FROM A SPLIT-FLOW IN THE WEST TO ONE THAT IS MORE
    PROGRESSIVE IN NATURE IS THE THEME TODAY.

1. Cort S. says:

Right now we do still have a split jet stream across the US, a northern and southern branch. Right now the indications are that next week we will see a return to more of a dominant single jet. The wave pattern across North America next week will be a little more zonal (no more of this huge west coast ridge and deep midwest trough for now), though it will have plenty of medium-amplitude waves moving through (good ol’ fashioned storm systems!). These waves will be progressive, meaning they’ll propagate from west to east (what we’re used to seeing), rather than other wave patterns which can be standing or retrogressive.

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks Cort. Easily understood when you explain, on occasion I get a bit confused when they cram so much in the extended forecasts.

2. SC (Marshall, but works in Battle Creek) says:

Jetstream Map

1. SC (Marshall, but works in Battle Creek) says:

Cold front moving in. Lows forecast for Sunday close to zero, lower with windchill. Highs right around freezing. The 10-day forecast daily highs are being dialed down slightly by The Weather Channel – no surprise.

14. Barry in Zeeland says:

Happy PI Day! March 14…..3.14…..I know. Dumb joke.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yes, i had pie in 2nd and 4th hour and did a scavenger hunt… just a little fact for the day

2. Cort S. says:

Next year will be the best… 3/14/15 (9:26:58 AM)

1. Nate says:

3/14/15 (9:26:53 AM) if I’m not mistaken.

1. Cort S. says:

…15 92 65 35 89 79

You’re right. Looks like I missed the 35.

15. Paul m says:

Michigan survive first round!

16. I am FINALLY off to Muskegon now this afternoon. Just went to the doctor and had an appointment and had an EKG done just as a safety precaution. Thing came back normal so now its off to enjoy the rest of the day. What great weather we have had today!!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Better have a jacket, it’s 10 degrees cooler here than in GR!

1. Yeah I noticed that. I will be taking my jacket along. Today while you were 39 I was already up to 45

17. Cort S. says:

Scale of the Universe, from the very small to the very big:

1. DJ2450 (Gratiot County) says:

That is fantastic.

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

That is astounding Cort! Thanks for the link!

It’s really cool if you zoom in or out really fast.

Crap.. I can’t Get it Need Adobe Flasher. My Old iPad isn’t Compatible …Crap.. :-(

18. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Bill, I can see part of my front yard and sidewalk. I had a lot ice and snow melt this afternoon.

19. John (Norton Shores) says:

18Z GFS doesn’t even want to pump out a storm next week now, still bears watching as we are still 5 days out and the storm could show back up.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Haha…it’s been ALL over the place!

20. Wow what a different story at the lakeshore. I am currently in Norton Shores and its cloudy. It was sunny inland. The cloud line is up to Nunica. Past that Its sunny one you get to coopersville

1. Pretty cool at the lakeshore. Warmer inland

The sun has little effect on warming the air over the ice and cold water of Lake Michigan. As the air moves inland, it can warm over forests, roads, roofs that are snow-free.

1. Interesting! Thanks Bill!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I said that before, but people didn’t seem to believe me about the lake keeping it cooler this time of the year.

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

How was your time over here? Did you notice a difference in snow pack compared to GR?

Cloudy Skies , Here N.E. Grand Rapids…Right Now… Stay Cued…

Spartans, Red Wings, tonight Jack.

22. Ik this is not weather but does anyone know of any goodwills in Muskegon? Always looking for good deals if I find what I need

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

There is one on Sherman, across from SAMs Club and Walmart. Here’s the address… 1934 E Sherman Blvd, Muskegon, MI

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

And your welcome! :)

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Better hurry they are only open until 8pm!

2. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

There are a bunch in the Muskegon area. It just depends on what part of Muskegon you’re going to be in. Did you find one?

23. Wswplz says:

I’m reposting a link Bill left me in response to an earlier post. I hope you don’t mind me reposting the link Bill, but I found the read to be very informing and relevant. Since the link has direct testimony from the Senate EPW hearing on our President’s Climate Action Plan I thought some might want to read and hear some of the testimony for themselves. I have only read Dr. Judith Curry’s testimony so far but plan to read further testimony , I can say it was very informative! Thanks again Bill :)

Wow Bill 50 degrees that could of happened last month but did it??? Get reday for more Rocky snow and Rocky cold!! INDYY!!

1. Paul m says:

Where is rocky at?

2. Barry in Zeeland says:

Yeah, because 50′s in February are common place??

25. What a great time in Muskegon and Norton Shores!! Did lots of shopping and head a good burrito for dinner. The weather wasn’t to bad. Fine enough to walk along sternburg rd. I got to goodwill on time thankfully lol I love that store. Got some good deals. Although I did get lost somewhere on Norton Rd near the meijer ad Popeyes chicken but I found my way out. In terms of snow over, I’d say there was more snow. Along of northern Ottawa and Muskegon county is woods so that’s probably why

Wow I trvass has been on bills blog today must of been in 40′s!!! nothing new!! INDYY!!

27. Grand haven rd and Seaway in norton shores is a confusing intersection! At least for me it was

28. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Wow, sounds like you were all over the place. Yeah, people often seem confused at the Seaway intersection. Walking along Sternberg? Yikes! That is one of the busiest roads in the county.