Snow Records

March 16th, 2014 at 9:49 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

snow Johnson Park Mike Buck 2 Grand Rapids has now gone 98 days with an inch or more of snow on the ground (6th place – 117 is the record).  The airport officially still has 7″ of snow on the ground.  We’d have to go to April 5 to set a record.  Lansing is also at 98 days and should break the record of 101 days set in 1962-63.  Muskegon has set a record for the longest period with a foot or more of snow on the ground at 58 days (old record 57 days in 1979).  Muskegon has 14″ of snow on the ground officially and is at 100 days with an inch or more of snow on the ground (currently 7th longest stretch).  Muskegon has to go to April 4 to set a record.   Grand Rapids is now at 96 consecutive days with 4″ or more of snow on the ground and I think that’s a record.   G.R. did set a record for the most number of days with 20″ or more on the ground at 16 days in February.  The least snow on the ground in February was 17”.  We went 51 days (from 1/24 thru 3/15) with 8” or more of snow on the ground.

Also, Sunday’s high of 22° in G.R. was the coldest high temperature on any March 16th since 1900.  (picture from Mike Buck).     4.4 Magnitude earthquake near Los Angeles this (Monday) morning.  Here’s snow this Monday AM in Washington D.C.   There’s a Slight Risk of severe thunderstorms in Florida today.

48 Responses to “Snow Records”

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Bill, winter isn’t over, I am sure we will continue to break records, even when winter is officially over.

2. Bucks Achilles says:

Boy that wind today chilled me to Bone. Drinking Bush and grilling Bangers for St. Patties Day.

I’m sticking to the classic’s. Corned beef brisket with all the trimmings, minus the cabbage this time. Last year my whole house stunk of it for 4-5 days.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I always open my window when cooking cabbage. I have corned beef and cabbage couple times a year.

3. kevin. w says:

Well I think we have one big storm to knock this pattern OUT and it may be one big rain/severe storm or a bad April (fools day) snowstorm, then we warm up.

I’m thinking the same thing. One big storm, then pattern shift. But who am I to put out a forecast, right.

2. Jacob G. says:

So peaking at the Tue-Wed storm if that were one month later into April I would be very worried for severe weather across the lower Great Lakes. I think we stay on this stormy path through mid April where we could see snow, ice, wind, severe weather and whipsaw temps. Like the springs of the mid 50′s.

3. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I agree, it has happen before.

Flint and Detroit set all time records as well.

5. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

I wonder how they can get an accurate measurement at the Muskegon airport. It is a very windy location and much of the snow has blown or drifted somewhere else. Because that area, along with the mall, is so open, there are grassy areas showing. Go around all the neighborhoods surrounding them though…and there is still over a foot of snow everywhere. I wonder where they measure or estimate at this point in time.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

I was in the area yesterday, and there is a lot of snow. The most I saw was just north of Ravena.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Where was the least? You do lots of traveling. Seems like you are often going somewhere. :) Where is your favorite spot in MI.

Near Benton Harbor had the least snow, before several inches last week. My favorite part of the state is the area from Traverse City to Petoskey.

If you’re looking for beautiful places to visit – go north from your house ’til you hit M-22 (NE of Manistee), then follow it :-)

At that point, it doesn’t really matter where it goes.

SNOW RECORDS….. See here :::: http://www.residentadvisor.net/images/labels/snowdogrecords.jpg. ;-) . Stay Cued ;-) . ……………….. ;-)

Just another “Snow “Record HERE…. http://eil.com/images/main/Hank+Snow+-+Snow+In+Hawaii+-+LP+RECORD-385419.jpg. Heee, heeee…. Stay Cued & Happy MONDAY Moanin BILLL !! ;-)

8. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It looks like starting on Friday we will have more chances of accumulating snow and unseasonably cold weather into next week. Weather Underground gives me 4-8″ from Friday through next week. Although the fresh snowfall will melt relatively fast, it will preserve the old snow for that much longer. I don’t think our tulips will be coming up anytime soon since they are still under 3-6′ tall snow(ice) piles.

9. Dan (Byron Center) says:

It’ll be first or early in the second week.og April before we warm up. Snow chances remain
    Do Mother Nature and Old Man Winter give us a big snoe storm before the warm.up?

1. TomKap (GR-Michigan & Fuller) says:

ha ha – you beat me to it. some think wishing and wishing make things come true.

1. Dan says:

No Wishing about it here. There is snow in the forecast and there a couple of snow chances in the long range where the NWS is using the words, “snow event”
      I wouldn’t be surprised if we get at least one more snow event and it could be a decent one.

10. Dan (Byron Center) says:

*snow

11. Mark (EGR) says:

I thought 107 was the record??

If this list is right the record would be 107 days and we would now be in 5th place

Yet another extremely cold mid March night last night. I had a low here of +7° and it looks like the airport so far has had a low of +8° so no new record here in GR. There were several reports of below zero temps in northern lower Michigan as well as eastern upper. With full sun I am now all the way up to +8° at 8:33 AM

13. Rob (Fruitport) says:

I see that the CPC is calling for below average temps and above precipitation for the end of March but our average temps are in the mid 50′s by that point. So even if we’re 10-15 degrees below average we should be looking at mostly rain, correct? I’m just trying to stay positive! lol

1. suehelen says:

That’s what I’ve been thinking. It’s going to be cooler than normal, but our average temps are higher.

14. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Bill- The ring of fire has been busy lately. Is this a sign of things of come?

1. Michael g (se GR) says:

What?

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

You don’t know what the ring of fire is?

1. I do. It’s a ring of thunderstorms around a hot upper high pressure system, generally in the eastern US, in the summer. I just don’t know what it has to do with anything going on right now?

2. Dikehopper says:

Am I the only one here who knows what The Ring of Fire really is?

I’ve heard that “quakes beget quakes” – so I guess I’m not surprised? That area is always “busy” – but here’s a one-day map of earthquakes:

Hmmmm – that didn’t work. Sorry. Try this, then move the map to show the Pacific Ocean:

15. Michael g (se GR) says:

JB says the last 10 days of March will be the coldest in the last 50 years for the Midwest, Great Lakes, and Northeast. Even I am getting tired of it.

1. Steve (N Moline) says:

No kidding. My wallet has had enough!

I’m trying to find the silver lining to this dark cloud of cold: at least the roads have been clear and we haven’t had to shovel. And the sun – the GLORIOUS sun, has been out.

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

You are a ray of sunshine on this blog. Pun intended…but I mean it. Love your positivity!

I took a snow depth measurement and I still have 8” of snow on the ground here and several snow piles that are now down to 4 to 5 feet (down from over 8 feet) Of course on the south side of the house there is a lot of bare ground now showing and there are even a few hardy spring flowers popping up thru hard ground. The question now is when will it warm up? At this point its looking like we will have to wear our coats for the foreseeable future. Heck there are some indications it could stay cold into May and even June. I sure hope not!

17. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

What are the current indications for May and June? Continued 20 degrees below average?

18. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Detroit AFD:
    THE NEXT MAJOR
    WEATHER-MAKER WILL BE FRIDAY NIGHT AS DISORGANIZED LOW PRESSURE
    FOLLOWS A MID-LEVEL WAVE ACROSS THE MIDWEST AND INTO THE GREAT
    LAKES. THIS SYSTEM LOOKS TO UNDERGO RAPID CYCLOGENESIS NEAR
    MICHIGAN. LATEST MODEL RUNS BRING THIS SYSTEM IN A TRACK FAVORABLE
    FOR AN ALL-SNOW SOLUTION WITH SEVERAL INCHES POSSIBLE.

19. Hudsonville Barn Cat says:

So the news anchors in Los Angeles had quite a varied reaction to the earthquake this morning:

What I want to know is — does WOOD-TV8 have a seismograph in the studio that the camera’s can instantly pan over to? Lol

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Probly not since earthquakes in MI are pretty obsolete. lol

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Haha..earthquakes are actually more common/more likely here than in other parts of the country. With the St. Louis fault line not that far away, we can sometimes feel the tremors.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

The largest earthquake in MI was a 4.6 on August 10th 1947.

Realistically the last earthquake was June 23rd 2010. And I think there was one before that in 2001 by Albion. That would make them very rare for Michigan.

Nope – a couple times we’ve gone to Calvin College to get video of one.