The Weather of Ireland

March 17th, 2014 at 1:47 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

<–click to enlarge the map of Ireland. Over the last 16 years (inc. 2013), this has been the weirdest day for weather in W. Michigan!  Today will be no exception.  After 3 years in a row with temperatures well above normal on St. Patrick’s Day 3/17/13 was 15 degrees cooler than average with a high of 30 in G.R.  That’s about what it will be today.  That follows five years that were significantly colder than average. In fact, here are the high temperatures for St. Patrick’s Day starting in 1998: 36, 60, 37, 39, 39, 68, 33, 35, 28, 38, 37, 71, 65, 78 and 30. There have been no 40s, no 50s…it’s been either real warm or real cold on St. Patrick’s Day in W. Michigan. The weather will be chilly, but nice  for the big but short  St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Conklin. Which brings me to the weather of Ireland.

Just like the wind coming off Lake Michigan moderates the climate, making the lakeshore cooler in spring/summer and warmer in winter…the same is true in Ireland. The wind off the ocean keeps the temperature fairly constant. The difference between the average high temperature in Dublin in January (45F) and July (67F) is only 22 degrees. The warmest temperature in Dublin in calendar year 2008 was just 72F (you won’t find a lot of backyard swimming pools in Ireland). The coolest temperature was 25F.  This winter the lowest temperature in Dublin has been 28 (reached several times).   Dublin only recorded 1/10″ of snowfall in 2008 – that coming on April 6th. There were two other days with trace amounts. The city did have 1/10″ of snow on 3/11/13 and trace amounts on the 12th and 13th. Dublin is actually 700 miles north of Grand Rapids. Despite it’s northerly location (summer daylight grows to 17 hours long in June), winters are milder due to the influence of the relatively warm Gulf Stream current.

Ireland is the 20th biggest island in the world (3rd biggest in Europe) and is just slightly smaller than South Carolina. Rainfall is frequent and mostly light. Dublin records thunder an average of only four days per year. The average high and low temperature for Dublin on 3/17 is 50/36. Yesterday (3/16/14), the high was 52. The first 16 days of March were 3.5 deg. cooler than average in 2013 and 1.4 deg. warmer than average this year.

Here’s a St. Patrick’s Day Quiz (I got 9 out of 10, but I had to guess between two answers on a couple of them).  Here’s an Irish Blessing and some cool pics. of Ireland.

214 Responses to “The Weather of Ireland”

1. These maps I have trouble understanding. What does the pink mean?

1. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

The pink would be some pretty cold air. We would be in the 30s according to that map.

1. Wswplz says:

On the hight 850 mb / wind / temp is the one Matt is talking about the bottom map.

2. Wswplz says:

The swaths you see are precip, bottom of map is the scale.

1. Ahh ok I see it now. Thanks!

3. Matt (Spring Lake) says:

Oh, yeah. I should have asked which map you were referring to, haha

1. Haha I was referring to the first one, but both are fine with me. Thanks!

2. Cort S. says:

(Bottom map) See that -20 C air loaded up in Manitoba? Which direction do the black arrows (winds) point? Who’s ready for another shot of somewhat moderated Arctic air behind that system? I guess that explains the >90 percent chance of below-normal temperatures in the CPC’s 6-10 day.

3. Cort S. says:

The GFS is a little bit farther north than the Euro. GFS gives some wet snow or perhaps a mix, but not a whole lot. The Euro gives a swath of 6+ inches of snow somewhere between I-96 and I-94.

1. on the Grand says:

Just looked at the advanced hydrologic predictions for Robinson Township, what a jump in water level for the next week.

2. Wswplz says:

I will try the darker background to see if it’s a little better for ya, and 10 day loop if in fact it works.

Looks like a nice 875 mb storm coming Saturday!! This could be the BIG one!! INDYY!!

1. you mean 975 I hope, 875mb and were all going to die

Lol!! Theee end is here not ever summer this year!! INDYY!

Bring it! ROCK n ROLL will never die!

3. Cort S. says:

I’ll put my money on 1000 mb.

1. Wswplz says:

What’s the lowest barometric pressure we have on record for a land based storm Cort, and also if you know what that would be for just Michigan.

1. Cort S. says:

For a Great Lakes storm, the Blizzard of 1978 was measured at 953 mb in southern Ontario. The storm of October 2010 was measured at 955 mb in northern Minnesota.

2. Wswplz says:

I remember seeing the Minnesota storm on the news that year, I was living in Dana Point Ca at the time. I think there was another storm that year as well with a really low reading. Thanks for looking up the info. :)

I still have over a foot of SNOW on the ground and we have a TON and COLD and SNOW on the way! Who knew? BRING IT!

1. Paul m says:

Did you used Indy yard stick again!

5. You know what would make up for this long winter…a repeat of November 17, 2013 lol. That was an impressive day and we rarely get those here in West Michigan. I think I got about 2-3 hours of sleep the night before of that day. I went to bed at I believe 4am since I was up looking at data, and was up again at about 7am lol yep, thats how much of a weather nut I am :P

1. Wswplz says:

Okay Mr Kyle have you been doing your due diligence as it pertains to the task you were assigned about a month back now, as you are getting closer to that time of year. :)

1. What task? and what is due dilligence? lol

1. Wait nvm I presume you are talking about tornado chasing in Kansas.

2. Wswplz says:

Yes, exactly smart man, well? You started to worry me a little when you were mentioning ” heat lightning “. Hehe. No I know you are up on weather. So how’s it coming?

3. Its going along good. There is still plenty more to learn though. Hopefully its a good season for storms.

4. Wswplz says:

Me too, I’m really praying we have one of the best severe storm seasons, or at least an old fashion good one! Im sure you will see some really good ones either way in Kansas, with this weather pattern in that area I think you will see some explosive storms this season. Expect to see some good pics and of course stories when you return. Anyways learn all you can before you go so you increase your chances of getting on some good storms, as it just takes that one you will always remember!

6. kevin. w says:

I think the lake shore areas will have a hard time getting out of the 60s at least through June. A farmer told me today there is 4 feet of frost in the ground and said that planting looks to be at the earliest Mid May if not the end of May. We all like our food and if this continues could be looking at a multi billion dollar disaster. I sure hope not and I’m ready for at least some normal temperatures and forget this cold snow BS.

1. suehelen says:

At the very least, it’s going to be tough on the farmers. I hope it warms up soon.

7. tyler says:

Snowing hard up here tonight. Must have received an inch already. That puts us at 67 inches of seasonal snowfall.