Cold Quashes Tornadoes

March 21st, 2014 at 1:38 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

advisory   Click on the image to enlarge.  The cold air has put a (TEMPORARY) hold on the tornado season.  We’ve had only four very insignificant, weak tornadoes in the U.S. so far this month of March.  Three were in Florida and one in Arizona.  So, this is one good side to the chilly weather pattern.  You can see that much of the country (Arkansas, Tennessee, the northern Gulf States) has been pretty much free of severe weather this month.  I do expect this to change as temperatures warm beginning perhaps in the 2nd week of April.  Remember, in years with cold and/or snowy winters, there is usually a flip to a warm 3-6 day period in April (sometimes with severe storms and tornadoes 1956, 1965 – in 1977 we had an F4 tornado near Lansing that spring).

19 Responses to “Cold Quashes Tornadoes”

  1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

    We are way over due for a major outbreak of tornadoes here in west Michigan. We have to be ready for any kind of severe weather that might come our way.

    1. GunLakeDeb says:

      While I was at the Allegan/Barry Skywarn class, I spoke with Jim Yarger (Barry Emergency Svcs) about our lack of tornado sirens. He said we have to approach the folks at the township level…. so I’ll be working on that ;-) We’ve got 3,500+ people living around the lake with no sirens, most with no weather radio reception (mine sure doesn’t work); and most cell phones work poorly if at all. Also – no basements. And since “tornado weather” tends to send people outdoors to play – well, I can only hope and pray that a major outbreak avoids us because a LOT of people could be caught unaware….

      1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

        I know your township supervisor. Some of you should sit down with him and tell him your concerns. I am sure there is federal/state grants to get sirens for the Gun Lake area. Gun Lake area do get severe storms. I think here in Hastings we need to update our warning system. I live about 2 blocks north of the river, sometimes it’s hard to hear the siren during a storm. .

        1. GunLakeDeb says:

          Mark is working with me on resolving the e-coli problem in the Cuddy Drain. Once we make some progress there, the siren is next ;-)

        2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

          Mark is a good man.

        3. GunLakeDeb says:

          Here’s what kind of trouble i like to stir up: LOL!!
          http://Www.friendsofthecuddydrain.wordpress.com

  2. SlimJim NW GR (1) says:

    This is very much not weather related but I thought I would put this up because of the word “bailout” I don’t care how you feel about what is happing in the Ukraine and Russia’s roll in the situation But do you think that we (the US) should bailout any country? If we are going to spend billions of dollars why not bailout our own cities and teetering companies!

    Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu told Putin on Friday that 72 Ukrainian military units in Crimea have decided to join the Russian military. His claim couldn’t be independently confirmed.
    At the Ukrainian military air base in Belbek, outside the Crimean port of Sevastopol, Col. Yuly Mamchur told reporters Friday he was still waiting for orders from his commanders on whether to vacate.
    Amid its political crisis, Ukraine is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, struggling to pay off billions of dollars in debts in the coming months. The U.S. and the European Union have pledged to quickly offer a bailout

    This is a link to the whole story

    http://woodtv.com/2014/03/21/russian-upper-house-approves-annexation-of-crimea/

    SlimJim

    1. Brian (Grandville) says:

      Yes, why are we helping everyone else, before helping ourselves first.

      1. Mark (East Lansing) says:

        Agreed wholeheartedly.

  3. Wswplz says:

    I posted this since we see these outlooks often, and in my opinion can be confusing.
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif
    This map can be a little deceiving as you must take into consideration that the map is broken into 1/3 ‘s over a 30 year time span, then separated into the warmest , coldest, and middle ten years for each. For example on this 8-14 climatology probability map it has 40 % chance (b) below normal temps for let’s say Cadillac and above, with 33% chance of near normal , and a 27% above normal. The same idea applies for the rest of the map , however one could scale according to how close / far away you are from the contours. With that in mind the near normal area remains “constant” in this example. The maps also very slightly depending on the forecasted period, although the same data is used from what I understand.( 1981-2010 )Feel free to correct or add anything ,as this is just my understanding.

    Here is another way to look at the data from CPC in a 2 class outlook: Above vs Below

    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/t14.2c.gif

  4. Jack says:

    WOW!!!! Good-bye DUKE!!!! Hello MERCER!!!

    1. DF (SE Mich) says:

      They won’t be missed, good for UM.

      1. Jack says:

        Yeah, I just LOVE A Good Upset ….. Stay Cued….. ;-)

    2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

      GO BLUE….

  5. Travis (Oakland County) says:

    New CPC out. There’s actually a sliver of Lower Michigan now in the above average camp. First time in weeks! ha

    As we thought, the trend seems to be breaking heading into April.

    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

    1. DF (SE Mich) says:

      The battle ground is Michigan.

  6. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

    Sliver is better than nothing, things are looking up.

  7. Mark (East Lansing) says:

    This thread answered my inquiry from this morning. Thanks Bill!

  8. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

    Bill is saying warmer weather is on the way. Severe storms are not too far behind.

Leave a Reply