Saturday

March 28th, 2014 at 3:40 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local    I’m out at Science Olympiad at Grand Valley in Allendale all day today.  I’ve been doing Science Olympiad for over 25 years…I am co-chair for Meteorology for the regional along with Professor Northup from GVSU.  It’s been a lot of fun over the years.

A band of snow moves through Indiana and Ohio could brush the area southeast of a line from about New Buffalo to Detroit…but an inch or less if you saw anything at all.  We’re still looking at low 50s Sun. PM and 60° on Monday.   Hail and rainbow together in this pic. this PM from Austin, Texas.  Huge hail at Ft. Worth, Texas.  A funnel cloud has been spotted 3 miles NE of Honolulu, HI, reports an NWS trained spotter.

The heaviest rain last night fell north of a line from G. Haven to Mt. Pleasant Thurs. night with slightly over an inch at Hart and Ludington.  Some of the biggest snowflakes I have ever seen here at my house fell this am around 9:15 am…like snowballs!  Nice reflection on radar…looks like heavy rain on radar.   CFS model says cool pattern continues in the Great Lakes into early May with threat of late-season frost.   Cool t-storm pic. from near DallasGFS forecasting another big snowstorm for the western U.P.  Heavy snow over the past 24-hours has brought snow depth to highest of the winter in the U.P.  Grand Marais added 10.5″ – new snow depth 54″…Marquette with 6.6″ of new snow now up to 41″ on the ground, Munising – 6.5″ new snow and 40″ on the ground…Wetmore got 12.4″ of new snow.  Delaware has 55″ of snow on the ground and Mt. Bohemia is up to 309″ for the winter.  Saturday am snow pretty much misses us to the SE…European gives Coldwater 1/2″ Sat. am – also gives us another +1/2″ of rain next Thurs…warmer pattern for next week.

I’ll leave radar at the top of the blog for the last lingering showers.  There may be a period of light snow as the precipitation ends, but it wouldn’t amount to much.  Temperatures will likely fall a few degrees during the day.  Saturday a band of snow or mixed precipitation may brush the area south I-94, but will stay mainly in Indiana and Ohio.  Sunday may be the warmest day since the first week of Dec.  After a cool start to the day, it could reach the low-mid 50s.  Monday if we can hold off the rain (and thicker clouds), we have a shot a our first 60-degree temperature since mid-November.  We’re also tracking the possibility of some freezing rain next Weds. – Thurs.  Too far out to say for sure, but that’s (along with some slick driving) is certainly a possibility with cool conditions returning for the middle of next week.   Note, the overnight Euro. gives us mostly plain rain with temps. a little above freezing next Weds. night/Thurs.

Wind pushing the ice from Lake Superior onshore.  Today’s the anniversary of the magnitude 9.2 Good Friday Earthquake that hit southern Alaska.  Here’s a pic. of the Trenton MO tornado Thurs. PMDamage from the Trenton Twister.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s Closings.

217 Responses to “Saturday”

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

State has a tougher match… but they are a better team so Im expecting a win :)

1. Stacsh says:

Better team? Michigan 2-1 vs msu plus a better seed. And won the conference by 3 games. But whatever.

1. Bobby (Ada) says:

Any team can win games if they rely on the three, and enough of them fall….. but whatever.

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Well they barely won. It doesn’t look too good for the top 8 for Michigan. We will see how state does up next.

2. Cali1005 says:

Didn’t tennessee beat Virginia by 30 this year?

1. suehelen says:

Good point.

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

9.6 seconds left…not good.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

We won…GO BLUE. Heart stopper of a game.

GO BLUE!

Married to an alumnus, good game!

GO GREEN!

I am an alumnus, go white!!!!

5. kevin. says:

Good sap day my tub measured close to 1200 and still have to boil that down and only got half done. I see in Shepherd they got almost 500 gallons of syrup done and there buckets were over flowing today, they have alot of work the next week. I had quite a few trees today with steady streams just runnin out of the tap and tomorrow is going to be nuts. I hope we get a couple of days with 1 inch plus rains that would help the frost out of the ground and get things running and clean things up. Big sweet smellin fire all day Saturday. Pretty darn tired thank goodness I have quite a bit of help and they’ll get there share of the gold.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I know it’s a lot of hard work. I did it one year, but I loved the sweet rewards. My wife loves the maple butter. I Iove fresh honey. I heard a lot of honey bees died because of the cold winter.

6. on the Grand says:

Wswplz, saw your post on kayaking. Earth s Edge in Grand Haven used to have free lessons and education sessions during the summer weeks on the Grand. Not sure if they still do it, but you can give them a call. It used to be on Thursday nights after 6pm. You got to try out some of their kayaks and paddle boards.

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks for the info, I didn’t know people paddle board out here too, that’s cool, I thought it was more of a west coast, or at least ocean thing. I have not tried that but many of my friends say its a great workout. I will definitely check it out, also need to find a good boat place here to get more life jackets, new wake board , oh and fishing gear….lol. So a few different stores. Then a good Kayak and that should be good for April. :)

OK – if you want to fish from a kayak – you NEED to talk to me :-)

MICHIGAN WINS!! MICHIGAN STATE SUCKS!!! SPRITE IT UP BILLS BLOGG!! INDYY!!

East side bias…… ;)

2. SW Kent says:

After 3 years I finally agree with Indyyy!!!

1 out of a 1000 is not bad sw kent!!!! lol!! INDYY!!

1. SW Kent says:

Go Virginia!

3. suehelen says:

Mark this day on the calendar! I agree with INDY!!

1. Being a U of M guy in the Agricultural industry is like being a corvette amongst a pack of pintos

1. suehelen says:

Are you a U of M guy, Mark? LOL

4. Cupcake says:

Very mature….wouldn’t expect much more

8. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I hope Michigan has learned a lesson tonight. Louisville is a good team.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Yes they are. Very fast pace offense. Their next match up may be the biggest game of the tournament.

This could be post of the week if Louisville loses… Close game

LOLOlOLLoLo!!! Louisville is gone!

DF MICHIGAN your hood man come onnn go Blue!! Go thunderstorms! go sprites!! INDYY!!

LOL! A2 is too tolerant as I say…

10. mr. negative says:

State game…

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!

Sorry loosely affiliated wolverines… MSU wins! If you actually went to a big ten school you cheer for big ten teams. 3 of the 8 big ten teams, awesome!!!!!!!! Go badgers tomorrow, bill’s team!

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

All good wins for the Big 10. Tonights games were awesome!

1. Wswplz says:

Didn’t get to see but bits and pieces of the Mi games, but that is really cool both teams are moving on, my school lost yesterday so I’m pulling for blue I guess by default, since I follow there football program. :)

1. Jacob G says:

UCLA?

2. Cali1005 says:

This isn’t the SEC. I’ll cheer for Michigan and Wisconsin but screw MSU.

12. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

The Big 10 is powerful. The SEC is not too far behind. The SEC is powerful in football, now they are also strong in basketball. What is everyone’s view about Northwestern university players can form a UNION? The courts say that players are employees. My understanding is that the NCAA has a tight hold on players/teams. I believe the players should get some kind of salary/wage to help with the daily living cost. They do get some very good scholarships to cover their education. IMO the players are not employees. Legal people believe that this case will go to the highest court. Stay warm, looks like Monday will hit 60 degrees. Good night, Sunday we will see if Michigan &MSU makes it to the FINAL FOUR.

1. Cali1005 says:

You do realize there are more teams in the SEC than Florida and Kentucky right?

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I lived for 7 years in southern Alabama, and I became a Alabama fan. I know all about these SEC teams. More and more southern teams are doing better in basketball. I expect to see more SEC in the brackets in the next few years. The Big 10 football is getting better. MSU won the Rose Bowl, over all football doing better. I don’t think Michigan has the right head football coach, I am sure they will replace him if things don’t go well this coming season.

2. Wswplz says:

This was a big decision last week by the labor board, as it’s a step in the right direction although it’s not necessarily about recognizing student athletes as employee, but more of a win for college athletes everywhere since this will help bring more focused attention to the issues that need to be addressed. I’m fairly passionate about this topic in general as I was a student athlete who had a sports scholarship and you are owned by that institution. I would like to point out right away that I was not involved with large power house school such as Alabama ” roll tide ” where this would be the most fitting example of Athletes being exploited, but I do believe it is something that needs to be addressed across the board. I think it’s also important to point out that I am very grateful for the privileges that came with the sports scholarship and the education in which it paid for. With that said I saw many things that occurred under the strict rules of not only the NCAA but also that of the institutions that were very biased in favor of all parties except the student- athlete. In order to keep this short I will not mention specific examples but rather say that many changes need to be made , and this innocent mindset we have with regard to a purist game is not true to where we are in reality with the college / student athletic programs. We must however approach this with kid gloves as this could be a slippery slope when and if we get to the point of amending existing by- laws within the NCAA and college institutions themselves as this is an important part of shaping peoples lives. I don’t know what the end product will or should look like but I do know that the current situationist is in dire need of change. My 3 cents…hehe

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I agree with your comment.

13. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Magnitude 5.1 earthquake hit LA California area,(about 9pm, I guess their time). One day they will get the Big One they been talking about for years. This week California has had tornadoes and earthquake. It’s been boring here in west Michigan. Good night, been a very long day.

1. Wswplz says:

The earthquake in 1989 was big enough for me while living in the east Bay ( northern Ca ) and that wasn’t the big one per say however 6.9 magnitude was all I needed to experience in that department. Lol. It’s not really something you worry about but you are sometimes quickly reminded by events such as these, how helpless you would be in a major quake. I would assume its similar to those who live in areas more prone to twisters.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I agree w/you.

14. Dan (Byron Center) says:

First time in 10 years that there is not a team from ACC still alive in the tournament. How warm do we get ? How long does it stay? Anybody have a good long range forecast for Myrtle Beach, SC? I’M going next week and cannot wait.

Here ya Go Dan . Detailed Forecast
      This Afternoon Mostly cloudy, with a high near 67. South wind around 16 mph.
      Tonight Scattered showers, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 50. South wind 11 to 18 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
      Sunday Sunny, with a high near 63. Breezy, with a northwest wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.
      Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 44. Northwest wind 10 to 17 mph.
      Monday Sunny, with a high near 66. Northwest wind around 9 mph.
      Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 47.
      Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 71.
      Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
      Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 73.
      Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.
      Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.
      Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61.
      Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 74.