California Earthquake

March 29th, 2014 at 2:21 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

earthquake 1 earthquake mapA magnitude-5.1 earthquake struck Los Angeles/ La Habra Friday night, about an hour after a 3.6 magnitude quake hit the same area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.  The quake was about a mile deep.  Dozens of aftershocks have been reported.  More pictures.  One person was injured when their car was overturned by a rockslide.  Lots of minor damage with stuff falling off walls and shelves.  Fire officials reported several small water main breaks and gas leaks in La Habra, Fullerton and La Mirada.   “Just about everything in the city that could go wrong is going wrong,” the La Habra Police Department told NBC4.  It was preceded by two foreshocks, the larger of M3.6 at 8:03pm.  The demonstration earthquake early warning system provided 4 second warning in Pasadena.  The estimated economic loss from an earthquake of this magnitude at this location is in the 10 to 100 million dollar range.  As I write this one injury has been reported.  The Red Cross has opened a shelter in La Habra Community Center.  The earthquake was felt strongly at the MLB game at Dodger Stadium.  Several thousand without power and at least 6 water main breaks.  All police and fire personnel called into work at Fullerton CA.

15 Responses to “California Earthquake”

1. Wswplz says:

Larry of Hastings, barry co says:
    March 29, 2014 at 1:13 am
    The Big 10 is powerful. The SEC is not too far behind. The SEC is powerful in football, now they are also strong in basketball. What is everyone’s view about Northwestern university players can form a UNION? The courts say that players are employees. My understanding is that the NCAA has a tight hold on players/teams. I believe the players should get some kind of salary/wage to help with the daily living cost. They do get some very good scholarships to cover their education. IMO the players are not employees. Legal people believe that this case will go to the highest court. Stay warm, looks like Monday will hit 60 degrees. Good night, Sunday we will see if Michigan &MSU makes it to the FINAL FOUR.

1. Wswplz says:

This was a big decision last week by the labor board, as it’s a step in the right direction although it’s not necessarily about recognizing student athletes as employee, but more of a win for college athletes everywhere since this will help bring more focused attention to the issues that need to be addressed. I’m fairly passionate about this topic in general as I was a student athlete who had a sports scholarship and you are owned by that institution. I would like to point out right away that I was not involved with large power house school such as Alabama ” roll tide ” where this would be the most fitting example of Athletes being exploited, but I do believe it is something that needs to be addressed across the board. I think it’s also important to point out that I am very grateful for the privileges that came with the sports scholarship and the education in which it paid for. With that said I saw many things that occurred under the strict rules of not only the NCAA but also that of the institutions that were very biased in favor of all parties except the student- athlete. In order to keep this short I will not mention specific examples but rather say that many changes need to be made , and this innocent mindset we have with regard to a purist game is not true to where we are in reality with the college / student athletic programs. We must however approach this with kid gloves as this could be a slippery slope when and if we get to the point of amending existing by- laws within the NCAA and college institutions themselves as this is an important part of shaping peoples lives. I don’t know what the end product will or should look like but I do know that the current situationist is in dire need of change. My 3 cents…hehe

1. Just South of Saranac says:

While the NCAA has many outdated and simply ridiculous rules surrounding student athletes, you also have the choice not to play if its to hard to manage everything. Enroll as a student and focus on your studies.

Thanks for this input! I agree – while a sports scholarship is a wonderful blessing – you ARE a “commodity” serving a massive institution. The suggestion to quit sports and concentrate on studies is nice – but when you are making a decision that could leave you with Student Loan Debt large enough to buy a small house, it’s NOT an easy decision……

1. Just South of Saranac says:

My point exactly. That’s why you suck it up and do what you have to to stay on that scholarship. No said it would be easy!

And back to earthquakes: In 1999, I experienced a 5.1M earthquake while in Vegas (it was a 7-something in Twentynine Palms; went “quietly” under the mountains only to arise again in the LV valley as a 5.1 Naturally, Vegas never mentions this sort of stuff, but it did a lot of damage to the Caesar’s casino floor. A year or so later, another earthquake in CA jolted LV – I think it happens all the time. Fortunately, the newer buildings in Vegas are built to “Los Angeles Specs”

Even if you live in CA and feel earthquakes on a regular basis, a 5 magnitude at 3 AM will get your attention fast….LOL!! For a lifetime Flatlander like me – it was downright terrifying. Being on the 25th floor at Caesar’s only magnified the motion…. our hotel room was swaying/creaking like one of those old Funhouse zigzag floors….

In hindsight (and after learning more about the “mechanics” of earthquakes) – it was sort of interesting because we clearly felt the P-waves first (up/down: the bed jiggled like a kid was jumping on the mattress) because they travel faster than the S-waves (back and forth). But when the S-waves hit – THAT’S the really scary part…..

2. Just South of Saranac says:

That’s why I love boring Ol’ Michigan!!!
      No hurricanes, earthquakes, mudslides, coral snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, alligators, sharks and the water is salt free!!! Just don’t drive on 94 during a snowstorm…

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I agree with you. When I lived in southern Alabama, that is snake country USA. I knew a few rednecks, that wanted me go rattle snake hunting with them, I always said NO.

I wholeheartedly agree – and don’t forget dust storms, tsunamis, avalanches – and for the most part – forest fires.

3. Just South of Saranac says:

*** forgot to mention grizzly bears***

4. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Ring of fire has been hot lately. Gonna be a big one (8.5+) somewhere, sometime soon.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

What’s your take Bill?

I’ve read that the area east of Santa Barbara, on the San Andreas Fault, has been “stuck” for a long time; all the while, the rest of the fault line is “creeping”. You don’t have to understand plate tectonics, to know that sooner or later, something’s gotta give :-( People who sell Real Estate in that area actually brag “we don’t have earthquakes here”, which is technically correct for the moment…..

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Its been really active in the southern part of the ring along Chile. Japan was pretty active about a month ago.