Gas Prices

April 4th, 2014 at 12:39 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

gas prices

Here’s the latest from Ed:  “Friday, April 4, 2014, 8:15AM:  We saw another Saturday hike, to $3.85.  We have a great group of commenters on our site right now, and they have pointed the way to understanding what has been going on with these price hikes lately.  As you may have heard on the news, March saw a shortage of ethanol (related to problems in rail service!), and a spike in ethanol prices.  Since most retail gas these days is at least 10% ethanol, depending on where you live, this has impacted prices, and it is also messed up my calculations.  I have never factored fluctuations in the price of ethanol into my spreadsheet, but I will start doing so when I do my annual spreadsheet upgrade in May.    So, what happens this weekend?  Ignoring the ethanol issue, prices could fall to $3.50 in Michigan, and we are in the mid $3.60′s right now.  If we had the kind of ethanol shortages we had in March, then a hike back to $3.85 is likely in the next few days.   I just don’t know, so the safe thing to do is to fill up for $3.65 or less today. — Ed A.

Also – check out the Scary Looking Cloud!  Severe storms hit Arkansas:  “Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe has activated the National Guard for security & traffic control mission as crews restore power in Ouachita County…22,000 without power.   Heavy snow has fallen from NE Nebraska to Lake Superior.   61 years of tornado tracks.   Giant “Black Box Detector” joins search for missing plane in S. Indian OceanA desert thunderstorm in DubaiNice pic. of lighting over St. Louis.   El Nino coming on…could mean more beneficial rain for Northern and maybe even Central California…won’t flip the weather here…we stay cooler than average (though not as cold relative to average) thru much of April.  El Nino’s centered near region 3.4 do not always mean warm winters for Michigan and the Great Lakes.  Weak El Ninos centered in region 3.4 are often cold and/or snowy…it depends on the intensity of the El Nino.   Here’s today’s severe storm reports, damage in Louisiana and Tennessee.  Here’s Thursday’s severe weather reports (near 350 of them).     5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes 16 miles off coast of Ydra, Greece

48 Responses to “Gas Prices”

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Very good news. I wonder if propane has gone down in price?

1. Mike K says:

its the same type of crap Rockefeller pulled years ago. Stockpile the oil and gas, and make up stories to keep the prices high. Time for the crap to end. Time for “We the People” to stand up and take our country back from the tyrants

2. Dikehopper says:

This is one site that list gas stations, by city, that sell gasoline without ethanol blended in: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Gasoline without ethanol gives better performance and better fuel mileage. It is also easier on older engines (*especially* lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.) because it is less corrosive.

Pure gasoline costs less than pure ethanol, but I don’t know how it is priced at these stations.

Unfortunately, there is not one these gas stations near me. If there was, I would sure take advantage of it.

I feel very safe in saying that gasoline/ethanol blends is one of the stupidest ideas the federal government ever came up with. The mandate exists only because of special interest campaign contributions.

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks for the link Dikehopper , I don’t care for the blends if I can avoid them.

2. michael g (se GR) says:

You do realize that ethanol has been running at around a 25% discount to gas, while consuming money that our government doesn’t have in subsidies, and returning 30 % LESS mpg’s right?

1. michael g (se GR) says:

That reply was supposed to go to Eric.

3. Eric says:

ethanol blended fuels have lowered the price of gas over the years, just drive by a station that sells E85 and see its 1.00 less then gas, all this talk about ethanol being bad for older engines and small engines is just plain false, people go to stores and buy items like heat and other gas additives that are alchol in a can, it has the same properties as ethanol does, if you want to go pay well over 4.00/gal for gas with out ethanol then be my guest but don’t blame high gas prices on ethanol because its just hog wash,

1. Wswplz says:

Thanks for all the good information Bill per usual! For me this thread is a mixed bag of news , in that I’m glad Ca could benefit from an El Niño , not really sure if I’m excited about gas prices as they are still way to high even with a 0.25 cent poss drop in prices as they would need to be closer to $ 3.00 for me to get excited again. There always seems to be some excuse for our increased prices at the pump and rarely have anything to do with reality , but rather unrealistic excuses such as switching over to summer blend ( my favorite ) or even now this report mentioning ethanol being the culprit. Seeing ethanol blends at the pump is still something I’m still not accustom to nor found off putting into my vehicles, as I notice a drop in performance.( I know some feel it doesn’t have any impact , I however do ). Back on the weather related news I’m glad to see that we are slowly turning the corner on this long winter as we have seemed to narrowly dodge one winter storm after another, and with each passing day we inch closer to seeing warmer temps and more great pictures such as this one below. Thanks Bill. :)

That pic is just too cool.

1. SBPortage002 says:

Bring on those Thunderstorms :)

2. mk says:

Eric you lie ,e85 is only 50 cents less, and its terrible for small engines.

1. Eric says:

You better look harder if you buy e85 from places like meijer you are grtting ripped off. Look harder and you can find e85 at a lot of places for 1.00 less then gas and priced properly. If you did research instead off just bought the propagand that is spewed you would also know that the oil companies have lowerd the quality of the gas they produce over the years to subgrade gas of as low as 83 octanc to save money and use something to rasie it back up to 87 or higher so these gas problems you talk about could very well be the crappy gas they supply

Also recently in the news down south there were lots and lots of reports of vehicle troubles becasue one of the major oil compaines sold bad quality gas that lead to numerous vehicle failures

You never read that stuff because big oil wants a manopoly and dont like free market competiton from other fuels like e15 or e85

Jumpin Jack Flash is a Gas, Gas, Gas……. ;-) . Happy FRYday…. ;-)

1. Wswplz says:

Hey Jack happy Friday to you as well….! Your post reminded me of Flash Gordon , plz don’t ask me why , but it did for some odd reason. Lol

Lololol.. Ok i won’t ask WHY…… Keep it Flashy. … http://images6.alphacoders.com/322/322089.jpg. He,he,, stay cued on this Wake & Bake FRYday… ;-)

5. Wswplz says:

On a side note regarding yesterday’s immanent ” Ice storm ” . I am glad conditions didn’t come together for a significant icing event especially given the wind that has developed on the heels of this low , things may have gotten pretty ugly such as the weather to be for our friends up north. Stay safe my fellow : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect

6. Woody says:

Eric, After rebuilding hundreds of carburetors with the rubber parts that have disintegrated, I disagree with your statement. Ethanol is harmful to older engines, not to mechanical side but to any rubber component it comes in contact with. The rubber used in seals and gaskets wasn’t engineered to withstand the expansion and hardening effects that ethanol has on them. And to use an occasional halfpint (drygas) per tankfull to absorb water in a fuel system is a far cry from running a daily 10% diet of it. Todays newer fuel injected cars show little ill effects of ethanol unless the percentage gets over 15%, then rubber deterioration is an issue as well decreases in fuel economy. Mechanical engine damage can also occur due to detonation (spark knock). E85 vehicles are engineered with different rubber components and computer programming to offset the large methanol content.

1. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

Woody, I agree with you. Every mechanic that I’ve spoken to, says the same thing. Ethanol is not good for engines. It takes more energy to make ethanol than it generates.

1. Eric says:

The last statement about it taking more energy to make then it generates is just not correct. Again this is a myth spread by big oil that dont want fair market competition. Want a monopoly to charge what they want and dont care about the price a consumer pays. How many ethanol spills have you read about that poluted a river or stream or lake. There have been multiple oil spills lately in the news and not one ethanol spill its produced with american jobs by americans. The production of ethanol only uses the starch portion of the corn and whats left is a high value feed product that has great nutriotional value for live stock feed and other uses It adds value to the corn chain and helps reduce fuel prices in the us vs imported oil. Brazil for example runs on 25 percent ethanol and they drive the same american and froerign cars we drive Lots of false information is out there to smeer a decent american produced and make product

7. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Bill, I was reading the severe weather report, looks like TX and MO have been getting a lot of severe storms today. I also seen in the report some other states had some activity.

It is a GREAT day today!

1. The Tigers are winning again!
    2. Nice temperatures outside today! Keep the COLD coming!
    3. I am headed to Nubs Knob on Saturday for some EPIC Spring skiing!
    4. We are still entrenched is a below normal temperature pattern!
    5. Rock N Roll will never die!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Don’t break a leg.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I would HATE for you to have a BAD DAY/WEEKEND…really.

More accumulating SNOW for the Ski resorts! INCREDIBLE! It could not be better! Imagine that! Who knew?

WHO KNEW ?? CUE::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRs1gKpeGg. SIDE NOTE…..MIGGY gets HIS 2,000 HIT …a HR!!!!

That was awesome.

1. SBPortage002 says:

Chamberlain blows..I knew that was a bad signing.

I missed it. I didn’t care for that signing either.

Great ROCK n ROLL song! Keep up the good work!

10. michael g (SE GR) says:

I’ll bet Bill was just off camera pulling his hair out during that Ann Curry interview. “Our year of extremes”. What a joke. Extremes as in an extremely long time without a major landfalling US hurricane? Extremely cold winter? Extremely good growing season in farm country? A 17 year period of extremely flat worldwide temps?

+ 100 Trillion!

I quit watching the nightly news garbage a few years ago. They are quick to point fingers,and blame their own people, but slow to offer a solution. Funny how you never here them mention third world countries contributing to their (climate change), but we have done so much to reduce our emissions and lesson our dependency on fossil fuels and electricity, but we are labeled as the bad guys.

While the U.S., Europe and Japan have seen CO2 emissions go down, China’s are rapidly increasing: http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/files/2013/05/31/carbon-dioxide-emissions.gif

Purposefully forcing utility rates to “skyrocket” (their own word) hurts a lot of people:

“A recent analysis from the Centre for Global Development shows that $10 billion invested in such renewable energy would help lift 20 million people in Africa out of poverty. It sounds impressive, until you learn that if this sum was spent on clean natural gas electrification would lift 90 million people out of poverty. So in choosing to spend that $10 billion on renewables, we deliberately end up choosing to leave more than 70 million people in darkness and poverty.”

Ya, if you look at the real numbers, the risk is by no means worth the reward they try to make you buy into.

2. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

Brian, I agree with you. The nightly news is so full of leftist indoctrination and bias, that I quit years ago also. It’s really too bad that journalism schools keep churning out these Andrea Mitchell, Brian Williams clones.

NW Lower MI is currently getting HAMMERED with SNOW! It will simply be an AMAZING day for skiing tomorrow! Keep the COLD and SNOW coming! I love it!

COLD AND SNOW IN APRIL! WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? Certainly not SWKent who told me no way would I be skiing in Lower MI in April! Who knew?

13. Angel says:

I’m in Minneapolis, MN visiting family and just paid $3.399 for Unleaded… I think Michigan’s prices are a sham…

1. Michael g (se GR) says:

High gas taxes PLUS sales tax on those high gas taxes. Our government is a sham.

It’s April and it is SNOWING outside! I love it!

15. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

Winds have just started to pick up here and it’s snowing again :(

16. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

The regular grade fuel is awful for small engines. We have had problems with our 2009 snowmobile because of the gas. I was paying over $4 a gallon for premium in our snowmobile for most of the winter. Also the good thing about traveling so far to racetracks in the midwest is that the gas is usually 20-40 cents cheaper out of state.

17. kevin. says:

Hopefully next winter with el nino we have near record low snow amounts and a milder winter. Its been cold since October so I think about 7 months of cold is enough. Hopefully a strong el nino lots of rain out west filling the rivers/reservoirs/lakes.

1. TomKap (Michigan & Fuller - GR) says:

You (& I) may get your wish.
      Here’s the forecast map for DEC-JAN-FEB 2014-15:

(all the rest of the maps for the season are close to same :) )

The “mini ice age” is upon us and next winter will be very similar to this winter! COLD,COLD,COLD AND SNOW,SNOW,SNOW! Get used to it!!!

18. Brian (Grandville) says:

Getting moderate snow right now. I have no thoughts on this yet.

19. Heidi DeBoer says:

Here in TN in the Nashville area Ive been paying $3.35…this has been high for we were much lower. From MI and dont know why MI always seems higher in gas.