Slow Thaw Continues

April 7th, 2014 at 8:46 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

snowfall season U.P compared to average  muskegon glerl  alpena glerlLake Michigan Sunset 4 6 14 with ice Phil Rahn Holland The first image is a comparison of snowfall this year compared to average for the Western U.P.  Some places up there have had a LOT of snow, over 300″ this winter.  The second picture is sunset this weekend from the Muskegon GLERL camera.  You can still see some ice beyond the pier.  Next, we have a picture from the Alpena GLERL camera, where there is still a solid ice cover as we enter the 2nd week of April.  Finally, a weekend sunset at Holland from Phil Rahn.  Click on the pictures to enlarge.  The highest season snowfall total I could find this (Mon.) evening is 335″ at Mt. Bohemia (24″ in the past week).  Snow on the ground:  54″ Delaware, 46″ Calumet, 44″ Mohawk, 43″ Atlantic Mine, 43″ Grand Marais, 37″ Big Bay, 35″ Munising, 32″ Tahquamenon Falls,  30″ Marquette (airport), 25″ S. Ste. Marie, 13″ Detour Village, 12″ nine miles SSW Gaylord, 11″ eleven miles SE Kalkaska.

2 pm update:   HUGE temperature contrast, courtesy of Lake Michigan.  At 1 pm, it was 57 at the G.R. airport (SE side of town, 52 here at WOOD downtown, 50 in Hudsonville, 48 Fremont and the BEACH temperature at Grand Haven (Bilmar’s) was just 36.  The Muskegon GLERL thermometer was 37.9 at 1: 30 pm.  So, that’s a 20-degree temperature difference from the beach to 30 miles inland.

We have a relatively mild week, but not super warm.  Today’s high of 56° in Grand Rapids was just one degree warmer than average.  Combined with a low of 31°, four degrees cooler than average, the average for today is still one degree cooler than average.  The slow melt off and the lack of heavy rain has eased (but not ended) the threat of significant flooding here in West Michigan.    The GFS model says we could see some snow next week.

Also – Here’s the tornado that injured 13 people in eastern N.C. this afternoonThe tornado picked up a pick-up truck and threw it into a field.  A father and son in the truck survived.  More twister pics. here and here.   Here’s damage from Covington Co. Mississippi Tornado that occurred in the middle of the night.  Significant flooding down south after over 6″ of rain.   NBC2 Chief Meteorologist in grave condition after bicycle accident.   From Joe Bastardi:  “Ugly looking European ensemble.. Cold regains a hold in central US day 6-15 Major arctic outbreak.”  Another earthquake in Oklahoma, this one magnitude 4.0.   Cool double rainbow in Pittsburgh.

25 Responses to “Slow Thaw Continues”

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Today was a lot warmer than I expected it to be. Almost all of the snow is melted in the shade of my backyard!

That pic of the tornado in N.C. looks more like something out of the plains.

3. Mr.Positive says:

No snow next week. It’s all hype. Bill sure does love the cold and snow, but unfortunately for you Bill the snow is DONE and we our well on our way toward Spring. Let the grass turn green and the flowers bloom :)

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill didn’t say that, the GFS did lol… it’s the model that exaggerates things.

1. Mr.Positive says:

I know but he always seems to turn something positive into a negative. Maybe that’s just me since I try and look at the brighter side lol

That’s why you are Mr. Positive.

4. I have ONE patch of snow left in a shaded area in my yard and that is it. It should melt during the day tomorrow. My grass is really greening up now and is starting to slowly grow. Not expecting to mow it anytime soon but its nice to see things growing again out there. Lots of green grass coming up along the freeways especially down along I-94 in Kalamazoo County

5. What West Michigan needs is a couple hour downpour and then have the sun out with temps in the 60′s and 70′s for highs. Things would really blossom open around here then.

Yup, time to wash the brown away, and green things up around here.

6. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

I think my name change made it through moderation, I received a notification that it took longer than expected do to the high volume of different name requests from what seemed to be the same person. However the amount of aliases that are currently active is still unknown they are still trying to fixx this problem and it will probably remain unclear until there is an indyypendant reconciliation of the computer data. I posted on this thread so it’s visible that I changed my name, as I know people have been known to use more than one persona but I will not be using * Wswplz just Darren severe thunder storms SVRtsm. *. if by any chance the god of thunder happens to be perusing Bill’s weather blog ( we ) wouldn’t mind if you wielded your giant hammer on top of south west lower Mi. :)

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Hopefully you send us good juju for SVRtsm, I’m tired of this snow! Maybe someone should change their name to THOR “God Of Thunder”

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Lol yes anything to help the cause , as I’m all for some boomers , starting to have withdrawal symptoms.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

LOL, I’ve been having withdrawal symptoms far to long now. I hope once we move from Cedar Springs to Vicksburg we’ll see those awesome SW I-94 corridor storms :-)

2. Resourceful Nana says:

Don’t get your hopes up too high, Swatz Zoo. I swear many of those storms break up just before getting here (I’m south of Vicksburg) and then re-develop to the east. I think they sense the presence of all the irrigation systems running and don’t like the competition, LOL.

7. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Good Night everyone. Seeing more tornado activity lately. When will we see our first thunderstorm?

8. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

These links are a repost from Professor Cort: First thanks for posting, many of the counties listed don’t come as a surprise except when looking at the number of minutes spent in under a tornado warning in what looks like San Diego county or counties close by in southern Ca as I lived there for 10+ years and don’t recall any warnings. Are they perhaps counting dust devils in the far eastern parts of the county? Lol. I do know closer to the desert and AZ they have some SVR weather but I guess it just seems a bit misleading if one were just looking at the map and didn’t know how large these counties extended. There are almost zero tornadoes in San Diego ” proper ” as I didn’t look up the history but none that I can recall. Nor have I ” ever seen ” one mentioned on the news this must be really really far to the east on the other side of the mountain ranges I would guess.

1994-2013 data:

Average minutes per year spent in a tornado warning, by county:

Average minutes per year spent in a severe thunderstorm warning, by county:

Note: Since this is by county, the average time a county spends in a warning is partially dependent on the size and shape of the county.

1. Holly says:

I lived in San Diego County for 19 years and remember only two weak tornadoes. One took out a shed in a mobile home park in Carlsbad, leaving the homes undamaged and the other messed up some boats in Mission Bay. Living and working near the coast, I don’t remember ever hearing thunder although I saw some rather spectacular clouds during monsoon season while looking towards the east. There was one winter storm in the 1980′s that roared in from the north Pacific and took off a couple of roofs from older apartments in Encinitas. But it wasn’t tornadic, just a very windy storm.

2. Cort S. says:

San Diego County spent 1 hour 16 minutes under 2 tornado warnings in 2010, and 24 minutes in 2008. You can use this website to explore past warnings:

3. John says:

Thanks for sharing that link, I found it really cool! Calhoun County (where I live) averaged 45-60 minutes. I’m sure with some counties there are some pretty big outliers in data- for instance, I can remember the summer of 2010 we would have a big storm blow through and there would be tornado sirens every other week or so. 2012, we didn’t have any tornado warnings at all(let alone rain). I’m interested to see what this spring brings- I read the other day in the article that this past March has been very similar to the month preceding the 1965 Palm Sunday Outbreak- let’s hope we don’t have a repeat of that!

” Blood Moon ” Rising in April. ‘Blood moon’ rising: Total lunar eclipse on April 14-15, first in rare …
    rt.com/news/blood-moon-total-eclipse-585/.

1. Cort S. says:

Nice. The world has not had a total lunar eclipse since Dec. 2011, and now we get 4 in the next year and a half. On top of that, the one next week will also feature a bright Mars in close proximity.

Yeah, There has Been some Contriversay in The ” Christian” Community about The ” Blood Moon” significance and Bible Prohechey on The ” End Times” . Should be Fun to wittness This Event, For Sure. Stay Cued…and…God Bless U CORT!……+…… :-)

1. Cort S. says:

85 total lunar eclipses this century, and they usually come in groupings of 3 or 4. I guess that gives us a lot of possible dates for the end times.

Wait for it”….. CUE: CCR – Bad Moon Rising (with lyrics) – YouTube
    ► 2:24► 2:24
    Stay Cued….. ;-)

11. Daniel G says:

Due to Great lakes ice the Gary steel mills are running low on taconite pellets for making steel. Sooo the Ecorse steel mill near Detroit has a large quantity to get rid of…soooo they are shipping them to Gary. Now they were going to have a laker or two from Toledo take them over there but TOO MUCH ICE in northern Huron and Lake Michigan…soooo the railroad is shipping them to Gary.
    Lake Superior still closed to shipping for the most part so nothing loading at Marquette. Same with Escanaba on northern Lake Michigan. Good business for the rails!