Tuesday – Whitecaps Opening Game

April 8th, 2014 at 1:39 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   whitcaps logo We’re doing all our newscasts live from Fifth Third Park today and I’ll be out there much of the day and night (through the 11 pm newscast), so I won’t be here on the blog.  We still have a chance of an isolated sprinkle or shower, so I’ll leave the radar up.  I’ll be throwing out the first pitch (along with a contest winner among those who registered here at www.woodtv.com).   It’s been 50 years since I was in Little League and I wasn’t a pitcher, so this should be interesting.  I went to the garage to look for my old mitt Sunday afternoon and couldn’t find it.  I actually might have given it to the Whitecaps.  They recycle mitts for kids.   I did go to a nearby park with a couple baseballs.  It was muddy, no bases or pitcher’s mound…I tried throwing about a dozen balls…not a pretty sight.  I did play 3 years of Little League in Wilmette, Illinois.  There wasn’t much for boys to get into back then but Little League and Boy Scouts.  We had A – B – C – and D leagues based on ability.  The first year I was in D league.  We had 20-some kids on a team.  You got to bat about once a game and I didn’t get a hit all season…all outs, lots of walks and I remember getting hit by a pitch a couple times.  The second year I made C league.  I was so embarrassed that I didn’t get a hit the first year that I really practiced with my dad.  The first game I went 2 for 4.  The third year I moved up to B league and was good enough to make the All Star Game, where I got a bloop double down the right field line.  My other big Little League thrill (gotta be a top-ten day of my life) was hitting a grand-slam home run in the 9th to win a game.  There was no fence.   The center fielder was playing in too short.  I hit a long-line drive that sailed over his head and I crossed home plate before the ball was back at 2nd base.   Being from the North Side, I was a Cubs fan.  (through I knew and can probably still name most of the White Sox from the pennant winning team of ’59).  Ernie Banks was not only a great baseball player, but he was so dog-gone happy all the time (“Let’s play two today!”).  I wanted to be like him – spreading “happy”.  A few years ago, one of my daughters got me an autographed picture of Ernie Banks for Christmas…which I’ve kept up on the mirror in our bedroom ever since.   If you see me at the game, say “hi”.  I’ll try and update the blog in the early morning of Weds.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the the U.S. Low Temperature map.  Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s any Closings.

239 Responses to “Tuesday – Whitecaps Opening Game”

1. What a great sunset tonight! Big bright colorful sunset. All around, the entire day today was a great today. Had a dinner that was made from Michigan Grown Products! Got to support our home state!

Here’s a good song geared towards Michigan. Great song!

2. Here is also a short little jingle from Michigan Out-of-Doors. This is a good little song too!

Get ready – this coming Monday night the temps will be in the 20′s! Bring it!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

April fools day was on the first.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

LOL

1. Some areas in West Michigan will drop into the 20′s for overnight lows tonight. This is nothing we are not used to.

2. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Says low of 25 Monday 26 Tuesday and 27 Wednesday

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am getting spoiled with all the nice weather we are getting. I been looking ahead to next week.

2. Rodey (Rockford) says:

No more SNOW for 8 months. Get used to it. I love it. Bring it. Fantastic. Who knew?

3. Brad (Van Buren) says:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Sherlock.

It was nice to see the nice fluffy cumulus clouds tonight!!!! Another sign of spring :-)

5. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Just seen the Space station flyover. It was bright, but I have seen brighter. If it really calm you can hear a slight hum from it. Its suppose to come back over at I think 11:06 but at a different degree.

Same here. It looks like a meteor moving at a snails pace.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

yea it was higher so you could see it longer. Even when it’s lower it looks like it’s going really slow but it disappears rather quickly. Remember it’s moving at 17,500 mph which is about 5 miles a second and see’s a sunrise every 90 mins. lol

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Im not sure one can hear the space station fly over head even if it were a quite night , mostly to do with the fact that space is a vacuum hence having no volume , so to hear sound emitting from the orbit of the space station would be incredibly difficult, rather impossible . But I’m not an expert in astro physics , so maybe this is possible. :)

1. Cort S. says:

The ISS orbits at about 425 km above the earth’s surface. The conventional definition of the beginning of space is 100 km. But there is no set altitude at which the earth’s atmosphere stops, it just becomes increasingly diffuse.

The average atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 1013 millibars. The pressure at 100 km is about 0.0003 millibars. The pressure at 425 km is about 0.00000001 millibars. The density of air at the space station is about one trillionth of the density of air at sea level.

I can’t find answers to how dense air has to be in order to sustain a pressure wave (sound wave) before it gets absorbed. I suppose it depends on a few variables including how loud the source is. But, a human scream can carry about 1000 meters through the air at earth’s surface, but can only carry about 15 meters through Mars’s atmosphere at the surface. Mars’s surface atmospheric pressure is about 6 millibars, compared to Earth’s 1013.

I’m going to say you can’t hear the space station from the surface of earth. I doubt that you could even hear it from 100 meters away if it flew right by you, but I’m just going with my gut on that one.

6. TACO BOY says:

Never to nice to outside to eat some taco’s Some of u are full of beans!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I love tacos/beans.LOL

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

One word. Qdoba

7. Did West Michigan have a “Lake Shadow” in place this afternoon at all? Showers developed to our east and they did in Wisconsin as well, but once they got to mid lake, they fell apart.

8. Alertion says:

Aw, Bill!

You should have alerted everyone that the ISS was going to fly over tonight. I just saw it! It looked like a bright slow-moving star in case anyone else is wondering what that was at around 9:35pm.

There’s another good pass tonight (Weds. night). I’ll put something on the blog

9. Resourceful Nana says:

Ice-free on Portage Lake! And they were still ice fishing on April 1st-no fooling! And here’s to the green, green grass of home, making it’s grand appearance for 2014.

10. TACO BOY says:

If u can boom thunder in your pants u need to eat tacos more tacos!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Can you create a thunder/lightning storm here in west Michigan? I will stay down wind from the storm.LOL

11. TACO BOY says:

I eat tacos u eat tacos we all eat tacos! Nice weather brings out the taco in us!

12. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Nice pitch Bill! You did a great job

I missed it. Where can I see it beside the news?

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Facebook has a picture, but I’m not sure if there are any separate videos out there yet. Maybe on the WOODTV YouTube page?

13. Melinda says:

I was most impressed with your first pitch tonight Bill; and the weather was outstanding. Good job on both :)

Hot off The ” PRESS”. Bill’s First Pitch Today….SPIN ::: woodtv.com/2014/04/08/bill-steffen-throws-first-pitch-at-whitecaps/.