ISS Flyover Tonight

April 9th, 2014 at 1:53 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

International Space Station    We have an excellent flyover of the International Space Station tonight at 8:40 pm.  Look to the southwest, about halfway up from the horizon (44°).  The ISS will appear and move toward you, coming nearly directly overhead…then moving away to the northeast and disappearing into the Earth’s shadow at 11 degrees above the ENE horizon.   You’ll be able to see the ISS for about 4 minutes.  There are more viewing opportunities coming up, so look at the schedule here. Here’s a link to a map that shows where the space station is right now (takes a little while to open the page). Here’s another tracking map with the position of the sun. The Space Station circles the globe about every 93 minutes. It’s about the size of a football field and flies about 220 miles above the ground, about the distance between Grand Rapids and Indianapolis. Check out www.spaceweather.com for details on auroras, the number of sunspots, asteroid approaches and more. Sky and Telescope’s Sky at a Glance will show you the current position of the moon and planets.  You can also get the latest on West Michigan astronomical events from the Grand Rapids Amateur Astronomical Assn. Thanks to Steve Schrier for finding these very cool high res. pics. of Planet Earth.

Also, Mars is (relatively) very close to Earth now, and easy to spot as it moves across the sky from east to west during the night.  Venus is a bright, early morning “star”.  Here’s This Week’s Sky at a Glance.

Death Valley hit the 100-degree mark on Tuesday for the first time since September 25, 2013.  Heavy rains soak the Southern U.S.  This is the first year on record (since 1950) in which there was not an EF3+/F3+ tornado prior to April 9 in the US.  Global sea ice area 6th highest on record for the date, 11,000 Manhattans above normalRed Sprites!

Also…check this out…How Deep is the Black Box (which is really orange).

245 Responses to “ISS Flyover Tonight”

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Going to Chicago this weekend. It looks warm and rainy, good thing we dont have any outdoor activities planned. Maybe I’ll see 70* down there.

44 degrees my hiney. It was almost straight up. Awesome flyover.

We may just get hammered with SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

1. GB says:

Yea you should hold your breath

2. Mr.Positive says:

Keep dreaming there bud :)

3. Rodey (Rockford) says:

We will be getting hammered with RAIN. Fantastic. Bring it. Who knew?

4. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Weather Underground shows 3-5 inches of snow, 100% for Monday.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hey Kyle, did you see the big storms I found for you? I will repost for ya…
      Monster Storms!! :)

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Why?

2. The probability legend is at 5% on northeast Colorado. Idk if you posted the wrong link or what but if that is it, then I am not amused. That’s not monster storms

3. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Lol. I was being sarcastic Kyle…. It’s funny because there is one tinny spot on tomorrow’s outlook , as you are 100% correct it’s no monster storm! but not to worry they will come. Why so serious Kyle lighten up , where is your sense of humor as I thought the outlook was funny on its own merit , not aimed at you. I just thought you might laugh that’s all, my bad . Lol. I love convective storms at least as much as you , if not more , so I was in a way making fun of the outlook as it only had a small 5% in the middle of the US , or north-east CO , thought you might relate because of your interest in storms. Hehe.

4. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

* I guess I better keep my day job.. Lol

5. No I thought it was funny but I was expecting some sort of big thunderstorm outlook area or something or big storm cells lol. I am busting at the seems to go out chasing in the Plains so I am waiting for those big storms. And ik you are being sarcastic, it was just a let down because I thought it may be something worth me going out to finally go chasing haha but I still thought it was funny. Didn’t mean to come across serious though because I’m not

6. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

So basically it worked as planned , except what you are saying is you want to chase some storms already , as in yesterday…..I’m going through withdrawals as well , so I understand your mindset. It would kinda be like someone saying it’s Christmas , hurray and wake up only to find out it wasn’t and you had to wait another 2 weeks.( 6 years old at the time ) :) .

5. What a great afternoon! This was my favorite afternoon temperature so far this year. My grass has greened up even more, and with the rain tomorrow and warmer temps to follow, it will be looking great by Sunday Afternoon! we do cool down a bit early next week though, nothing cold by any means, but noticeably cooler. Looking past that, we have temperatures back up into the 50′s. By any means it doesn’t look like a major cold snap, just a cool day in the mid 40′s. I am not buying that run of the 12Z model at all. Yes there may be some snow, but at this current time is doesn’t look like anything real substantial and noteworthy.

1. Barb says:

The snow has FINALLY melted from my front yard today! Now it can green up after the ground thaws.

2. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It matters what you would consider “cold” for this time of the year. It looks like Monday will be 15-20° below average with accumulating snow possible. Just imagine if it was 15-20° above average…we would have temps in the middle to upper 70′s. But as you mentioned, whatever snow we get will likely be melted within a few days max.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Looks like were both thinking along the same lines, Travis.. Lol. It’s funny what a 100 year winter will do to ones take on the cold.

3. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Well nothing is ” cold ” in comparison to what we have been repeatedly exposed to , but -5 to -10c H8 temps is still a fair amount of cold air rotating down for mid April. I’m a little concerned with the amount of liquid we could receive late this weekend as they are calling for over an inch of rain and that’s not including Monday’s rain / snow next week as it’s something to monitor.

1. Well after going through such a brutally cold winter with wind chills in the -30 to -40 territory, Mid 40′s is a walk in the park. At least for me.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

I think that’s what we were saying , but relative to normal it is cold as we typically gage weather that of normal , for example if would never be cold if you asked Rocky , I think we might be frozen before he yelled uncle. Lol

6. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Earlier someone was saying, we were looking at strong storms for Monday, then others are saying a snowstorm. I am confuse, as always.LOL

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

We should see rain sat night / sun up to an inch is possible , maybe some instability / thunder as well. Monday is still more uncertain but most likely rain / snow ( accumulating? )as a second front may tail the previous one. Still is a bit of timing issues on the cold front coming in on Sat night or Sun. TBD… :)

We Shall See, and Remember ” Nothing Can Change The Shape of Things To Come”!!! Go ahead and SPIN (literally ))))))). Here::: Shape Of Things To Come Max Frost & The Troopers – YouTube
        ► 2:26► 2:26
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVOEijtq8Jc. He, heeeee….stay Cued… ;-)

7. For what its worth, Intellicast has us getting heavy rain on both Sunday (April 13) and Monday (April 14). We shall see how this pans out. Two days with heavy rain would definitely create Areal Flooding. If that happens some Flood Warnings and or Areal Food Advisories would be issued.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Still not funny Kyle?

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

My bad , I am looking for ya though , and I will find something you hopefully can add to the list. Next one will be legit , I promise ya!!

2. Haha ok sounds good! I do like simple/cheap humor though. I get it all the time from family and friends haha. One thing people need to know about me is I love all the simple things in life

8. SW Kent says:

Bill, today in Palm Springs we hit 99 degrees and the dew point was 1!
    I played 18 holes and never broke a sweat. The air was just perfect.
    The game time temp at the Dodger game was 84.
    Perfect weather.

1. Sounds great! Bring it back with you to Byron Center SW Kent! haha

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

You want those dew points above 1 however like maybe 70 points above that for some good storms , the 99 however would help.

1. That would be great! I don’t know why but some of the best thunderstorms I have been through, the temp was 88 before they moved through. 88 must be a magical number or something haha

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Have to agree with ya on the 88 as that was my number in high school. Good number

2. SW Kent says:

How is the grass coming Kyle…..getting green?

1. It is looking better SW Kent! The lawns around here are slowly greening up. Nothing to mow yet though, we are still a ways from that. Trees are budding here now and there is even a little growth on the forest floor in some woods. Were getting there!

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

How did you like PGA west , which course did you play and how low did ya go SW , if you don’t mind saying. I would be willing to bet you beet my best score. Lol

1. SW Kent says:

Played Silver Rock in La Quinta.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Nice !! I think I managed a 97 on that course , if my memory is correct. Hehehe

3. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

What does 99° feels like? LOL

1. SW Kent says:

Amazing out here………..terrible in Byron Center

4. Brian (Grandville) says:

Keep that heat out there. I dont care what anyone says about dry heat. That is too hot. I lived in Las Vegas for 4 months in late spring, early summer and hated it. Im loving these 60* sunny days right now.

9. John (Norton Shores) says:

Warmer at the lake tonight, currently 54 here, and 49 in GR.

1. Norton Shores is actually one of the warmest temperatures here in West Michigan if not the warmest! Congratulations! lol

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Lol, YAY! I’m celebrating!!! :)

2. SW Kent says:

John, is all the snow gone?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

All but snow piles.

10. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Good night, been a long day, sick most of the day. Maybe I need a thunderstorm to feel better.

>>>>>>>> DDDDDDDD>>>>>>>>> WINGS ARE IN THE ” PLAYOFFS” 4… 23 consecutive YEARS!!! >>>>> DDDDDDDD >>>> DYNASTY IN DETROIT !!!!!! >>>>> DDDDDDDD >>>>>> OUTSTANDING , AWESOME ,”"”"ECT . ECT………. DDDDDDDD >>>>>>> STAY ( pucking). CUEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD !!!!!!! :-)

12. Jacob G. says:

Just checking out the latest 00Z on the GFS and we are looking at a wet week next week with some snows on the back end of the first cold front, then with a warm front trying to work north by mid-week. However high pressure to our north will really slow down the pattern and slow moving low pressure will take it’s time across the country mid to late next week. Lots of precip next week that is for sure and it will keep the rivers elevated. Enjoy the next 3 days of nice weather!