Great Lakes Water Levels

April 10th, 2014 at 8:03 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

muskegon glerl    Click on the picture (from the Muskegon NOAA/GLERL cam.) taken today.  If you look beyond the breakwaters, you can see ice.  The wind coming off the water sure made a difference today.  While Grand Rapids reached 66° today (warmest since last Oct. 12) and Kalamazoo topped out at 68°, the GLERL weather station here at the beach at Muskegon could muster only a high of 41.6°.

The latest data from the Army Corps of Engineers shows that Lake Michigan/Huron is up 2″ in the last month and up 11″ in the last year.  The lake is still 16″ below the century average (dredging the St. Clair River has been a factor).   Lake Superior is up 1″ in the past month (and should see a bump up with the snowmelt over the next 3 weeks) and is unchanged from one month ago.  Superior is exactly at the century average.  Lake St. Clair is up 9″ in the last month and is 8″ higher than one year ago.   Lake Erie is also up 9″ in the last month and up 7″ year-to-year.  Erie is 2″ below the long-term average.  Lake Ontario is up 7″ in the last month, up 3″ year-to-year, but still down 6″ from average.

16 dredging projects planned for the Great Lakes – including Holland and Grand Haven.   Harsh winter reveals Lake Michigan shipwreck.  A couple years old, but some interesting snow pics. here.   Here’s the MODIS satellite picture of Lake Superior from today (4/10) – still a lot of ice out there.

22 Responses to “Great Lakes Water Levels”

The rain this next week should help.

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Bill, do you think Lake Michigan/Huron will ever return to the century average?

3. Intellicast has me getting up to 72 on Saturday with sunshine! That is incredible! I hope to see more of those temps through May! We do get some good rains on Sunday and Monday with cooler air coming in. After that we go back into the Low-Mid 50′s.

1. Bobby (Ada) says:

NWS has me at 73 Saturday! I love it!!!

4. Barb says:

Is there a recent image of lakes Michigan/Huron?

5. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Do some of you remember this day last year in Michigan / Illinois ? This was a really interesting day for me ” chasing ” storms down along the general border area and below , some of the best pure thunder storms I have ever seen . Sorry to post old news , but I’m really looking forward to seeing some SVR weather in our near future. The mere sight of these maps gets the storm-flies a churning such as they do when one has opened the SPC SVR outlook to find circled shades of reddish- pink , next comes your tablet clicking on a favorite radar link, awaiting in anticipation you see the words liked by that of a weather geek , this coming by way of radio or written text on a screen , it would be none other than the report of emergency broadcasting! Well you know what they are….. :)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I remembered that storm. I believe everyone was surprise that the southwest corner of the state was in the high risk for severe storms. Michigan doesn’t get high risk too often, but when we do TAKE COVER. I see where we will be getting thunderstorms on Sunday. I am sure we will be in the slight risk. Good night, still sick most of the day, see a Dr.next week.

1. I actually saw my first tornado that day!! I went chasing down in that high risk area out of the state of Michigan. Then on the way home, I ran into a tornado warning for Southeast Allegan County. The warning later extended into Barry. No tornado though but heard the sirens in Plainwell!

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

I was around that same storm, too funny. The thunder storms were amazing , not the best set up for tornadoes however some of the most active storms I’ve seen. Sounded like a war zone. Lol

2. You were at the one in Allegan County when it was tornado warned? Thats cool! The lightning was constant. It never stopped. I actually pulled off the highway because the lightning was just to constant and bright. If there actually was a tornado in the tornado warned area I would never have seen it. I would have been blinded by lightning haha

3. The town of Gobles looked like a warzone after that storm moved through. I never seen so much tree damage. The wind actually destroyed a barn as well

4. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Actually I was mistaken Kyle, I misread your text , or just plain confused . I was right below 1-80 when there was a tornado warning , not up in allegan county. That day I came close to getting on a weak tornado , but it was only on the ground for a short period of time. I was driving through Warsaw and they really to hammered by winds down in that area , put in a lot of windshield time that day as I drove around 750 miles at least. Lol

5. Ohh ok. But thats still cool! Mine was a weak tornado. It was only on the ground for probably only 1 minute. For my first one, I was psyched to see it! I was shocked though when I came up into the Michigan into Allegan County and Reese Ricards or however you spell his name came on on 93.7 to alert people of the warning. I am glad there station has someone who covers the latest weather and warnings in a severe situation. There saying is “When Severe Weather Pops We Pop in on B-93.” Hahaha. Once I got to Kent County though it poured rain. I pulled over on 131 again haha because it was raining way to hard and I could not see

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hope you fell better Larry , maybe some good old fashion storms can help a little , that and whatever the the doc tells ya. :)

DOCTOR?? Here is my late ( GREAT(. Rock-n- Roll DOCTOR ! Lowell George ( RIP)))). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-r-qi_cJs0. TURN IT UP DARENNSVRtsm…Plz …. :-) . Stay cued.. ;-)

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

When did he pass Jack ?

June 29, 1979, Arlington County, VA
          Lowell George, Died

Here is A Song in His Memory Written BY ::: Jackson Browne – Of Missing Persons – Hold Out (Tribute to Lowell …
          ► 6:36► 6:36
          Give it a Listen… ;-)

6. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

This is a snipit from from the extended forecast discussion:

AS THE SYSTEM EVOLVES EASTWARD SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY, A GRADUAL SHIFT FROM SEVERE WEATHER TO WIDESPREAD HEAVY SHOWERS SHOULD MARK THE WARM SECTOR, WITH A NEW SWATH OF SNOW BLOOMING ACROSS THE UPPER MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES. ( let’s hope the snow stays north )
    This is how they rapped up:
    HE ONLY PART OF THE NATION SHELTERED FROM THE ENERGETIC PATTERN APPEARS TO BE THE SOUTHWEST.
    Here is the 00GFS : still seems to favor a bit north

7. Love driving down the road after a thunderstorm and hearing this!

WAhoo…One of MY FAVS. Jackson Browne

July 13, 2014 6:30 pm – 9:45 pm
    Jackson Browne’s career began in the mid-1960’s and hasn’t slowed down. Since his debut album came out in 1972, he has released thirteen studio albums and three collections of live performances; his most recent, Love Is Strange, features David Lindley. Browne was honored with induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, and the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in 2007. His hit songs include “Running on Empty,” “Somebody’s Baby” and “Doctor My Eyes.”

Location: Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater
    Member Cost: $68
    Non-Member Cost: $70
    Hey, Bill can ya Get Me a DISCOUNT ???? Staying CUED……

9. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Im trying out a different email down here just to see if its any better…