Happy Retirement John Coleman

April 11th, 2014 at 2:31 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

john coleman one   john coleman two John Coleman retired yesterday from KUSI in San Diego.  He’s a few months shy of 80 years old and has been in the broadcasting business for 61 years (the last 20 years in San Diego).  Many of you remember him as the first weatherman on Good Morning America, starting in 1975. He was also a founder of the Weather Channel.   The picture shows him on the left as part of the news team of WLS in Chicago in the early 1970s (with Fahey Flynn – who always wore bow ties), Joel Daly, John Drury and Bill Frink.  I grew up in Chicago.  I remember John riding a tricycle the entire length of the big Fourth of July Parade in Evanston (my home town).  I first met John at my first American Meteorological Society Conference in Toronto in early 1976.  I was so excited to get to the conference that I was the first meteorologist to arrive for the evening dinner the first night.  John was 2nd and came over and introduced himself.  He was  telling everyone who would listen about his idea of having a live 24-hour weather channel.   He was gregarious, witty and friendly as the West Texas High Plains where he grew up.   On rare occasion, I would call him at GMA and let him know about an interesting weather event in West Michigan.  One day after an Alberta Clipper dropped 9″ of snow on Grand Rapids, he came out on GMA with a golden snow shovel and “awarded it” to “Grand Rapids and Bill Steffen”.  I think the Golden Snow Shovel is still in the garage.  (click on the images to enlarge – first image from Wikipedia – second from John’s facebook page)

72 Responses to “Happy Retirement John Coleman”

1. norm says:

Truly a Master at the game of weather, hope he has a wonderful retirement, was always impressed about his thoughts on the weather and climate, almost as amazing as our own Craig James.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

This is the Best Place to be a weather man , I mean meteorologist , as it’s a very low stress job. So what’s the weather going to be like today Bill , in San Diego ? Hmmm , um , well…. 68-72 and sunny. Seven days a week day 24/7 . There is however is June gloom and a bit of ” May Gray ” actually a true weather phenomenon . I felt bad when people used to come to visit around June , as this is typical weather around that time at the beach and folks of course expected it to be sunny.

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Those maps have almost been a bigger joke than you. SPRING is here. Bring it. I love it. Thanks for listening.

2. Barb says:

I’m sure the first map’s temperatures are in Celsius and probably the lows, so 32 is not so bad for a low this time of year.

I remember John on GMA. Kudos to him on a long, successful career.

The forecast discussion is really downplaying the chances of snow the beginning of next week. Who knew? 96% of the bloggers, that’s who.

We may be getting hammered with SNOW! STAY TUNED for latter updates!

Anything is possible in the Great Lake State in April. :-)

1. Barb says:

True but rare.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

NWS Detroit not even mentioning any possibility of snow at this time. All heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Good news! Except I’ve been doing it wrong. I’m supposed marinade prior to grilling, not during consumption.

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Lol …that’s funny. I’m with ya Mark , so Indy must be cancer free , sprites for everybody!

4. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Hit 71 degrees in Detroit and Flint yesterday.

Both are now above average for April. Three more mild days upcoming!

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Imagine that. Who knew? Not rocky.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Not the CPC either. We’ve been pretty much dark blue all month, and yet now we’re above average. Go figure.

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

68 here yesterday, way above what was forecast.

2. Barb says:

We’re going to be back up in the 50s and 60s later next week.

Late next week average highs are 60′s, we’re getting there.

I know you’ve been waiting many months to say that. I hope it continues, but we have a long way to go until the end of April.

Yeah, unfortunately highs in the 40′s are coming quick. We need to enjoy Saturday.

It was awesome out! We lucked out over this way. It rained a decent amount in A2 starting around 5pm yesterday.

5. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

When John Coleman started TheWeatherChannel the weather is what they talked about ever hour, etc. Last few years they been going in different directions. Lately, looks like they becoming a weather channel once again. The reason why I like Bill and Storm Team 8, because they know west Michigan weather. The Weather Channel and AccuWeather really don’t understand our weather. Storm Team 8 forecast does a good job forecasting the weather for west Michigan. Thanks Bill for your hard work.

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

I agree, Larry! Nothing more frustrating than wanting to get a look at radar on the Weather Channel – and they’ve got one of their “docu-soaps” (learned that word from Mike Rowe) playing… (rolling my eyes) Fortunately, WOOD-TV dedicates an entire channel to WEATHER. Nothing but weather, 24/7. No ads, no hype. When the weather gets ugly – WOOD-TV is the ONLY instant source of information I have, and I sure as heck appreciate that!!

And yes, Bill goes above-and-beyond!! I’m so grateful for this blog!!

Stay tuned – More COLD and SNOW is on the way! Get ready!

1. Jeff (Richland) says:

blah, blah, blah

Glad I have not put the snow shovel away just yet!! Looks snowy Monday!! INDYY!!

That is interesting. Good find.

Just the facts, not all of the global warming hype that Travis spews on a daily basis!

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Too bad Matt doesn’t come around as much anymore he hates it when I post the hazards map. Hehe

Nice map – very easy to understand. And I’m sorry I put my snow shovel away…..

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

You won’t need your shovel , no worries , that map is made a week in advance. I do enjoy reading the hazard summary every week , it gives a great outline of what’s to come , good stuff.

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Here is the write up that goes with theses hazards , made yesterday , great read!! 3-7 and 8-14 day.

Are you sure?? I JUST looked at the hourly graphical forecast, and they’re showing snow for Monday (and they’re pretty certain of it, too…LOL!) I know any snow will melt quickly; but I usually need to shovel the snow away from my sunroom door simply to open it.

Thanks for the link – very informative!!

5. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Oh , I meant it would melt that’s all , not saying we won’t see snow , just not much IMHO .

6. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Of course, it’s in the same place one would find the ” Rocky Map ” aka CPC temp / precip ” cold and snow ” outlooks , just look for the hazards outlook. Lol

8. John (Norton Shores) says:

The NWS point forecast has a high of 70 for me tomorrow! sweet! :)

9. John (Norton Shores) says:

Currently 46 here right now, expected to get up to 61 today but as we’ve seen lately the forecasted high temperatures have been underestimated by 4-6 degrees.

20′s there this morning, brr. Same here at 29° this morning.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Brrr is right!

10. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

John Coleman makes me smile every time I think of him doing the weather. I never knew all his accomplishments , but I could never forget the way he said KUSI , as he was a familiar face on news while living in SD. Congrats !

It was 28 degrees this frosty morning – but the temp is soaring skyward.

JACK! – cue The Who – “I’m Free”!! I’m celebrating this “Jacketless Friday”!!!!!

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Haven’t seen the Jackster , but he gave me this record to spin , only one I have from the UK. Lol

THAT’s the one!!!!

2. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Another: Longer Version

3. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

I will the que’s to Jack ….so get Back Jack! QUE ???

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

* leave the que’s

12. John (Norton Shores) says:

Temps are going up fast, it’s now 54 here, feels like a spring morning! :)

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Why John , it is Spring after all. Hehe

LOL!! I’m watching RVs go past our business – clearly, Cabin Fever has people itching to get outside and CAMP!!!

14. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yes yes , I’m so glad I switched over to this name , should have done this earlier , sorry!
    Day: 2
    Dat: 3

1. They made big updates to those maps overnight! There were no slight risk areas that I knew of in those day outlooks last night

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yes , they changed them early this morning or late last night depending on how ya look at it. Quite a bit more SVR coverage for sure as I think we we should finally see our first few baby boomers to start the year. FYI – I think on the SPC home you can see when all of there watches / outlooks are updated , I will leave the link , as I’m sure you already know of this page.

15. I got to see my second eagle in the wild yesterday! This one was along 96 in Ottawa County at the Coopersville exit.

That’s awesome. There used to be a bald eagle nest atop of a tree in the median of I-75 north of Clare. That’s the only ones I’ve seen in the wild.

2. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

There are a pair of them that I’ve seen between Lamont and Eastmanville many times. Such majestic birds :)

They’re becoming more common – we see them often while kayaking on larger rivers like the Kalamazoo or Muskegon.

And I agree it’s always a thrill! Kind of like “plane watching” at the airport and having a 747 come in to land :-)

16. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I see them all the time in Cadillac area and between Traverse City and Kalkaska. I’ve also seen two of them multiple times on M-66 between M-46 and Remus. Those two fly around together.

Winter storm Watches Sunday for Michigan That would be crazy!! INDYY!

Bring it!

2. Jeff (Richland) says:

Hype. Read Bill’s latest blog.

18. John (Norton Shores) says:

58 now, as for the next week ahead. Looks like a very rainy period from Sunday into Monday as much as 3″ of rain could fall leading to river rises. We then cool down into the upper 30′s to lower 40′s for a brief period Monday-Tuesday, then warm back to around 50 on Thursday and 60 on Friday. Winter makes a return very quickly but then spring overrides the winter weather, usually that’s how April works.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

And as for snow chances, they are there but accumulating snow looks out of the possibility now, it would be mostly wet snowflakes mixing in with the rain.

Famous last words!

Many of the rivers are barely out of “Flood Alert” stage – 2 to 3″ of rain will send them to “flood stage” quickly.

19. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

Outlook for my friend Kyle: :) However consult Cort for a professional take. Lol

One thing that I’m not happy to see is looking further out into this month , say from the 19th through the 25ish , I’m not seeing much moisture available for the development of severe weather. I’m still going with my past thinking in that we won’t see the SVR weather begin to ramp up until the first part of May and possibly even further out. Yes we will still have the more isolated SVR events week to week , but thinking the larger scale ” outbreaks ” those that you will encourage you to hop in the car and ” chase ” are still about a month out. This week looks okay for some severe weather , however getting on a storm might be more difficult due to this type of setup as many of the super-cells that do form have a good chance of being undercut especially those that form near and around the advancing cold front , not to mention contending with multi- directional wind profiles that will most likely be occurring. The Kansas area and more particularly the south-eastern portion might serve well for a few spin ups , however it looks like a better environment exists in the eastern- middle section of Texas and surrounding states closer to the dry-line for the more favorable discrete super cells to develop. ( this is the Sunday – Sunday eve timeframe ). I still think your best bet would be to wait for a more favorable setup as this one looks a bit messy. IMHO :)

1. DarrenSVRtsm ( Cedar S ) says:

* after ” outbreaks ” delete the extra ( you ) – I’m sure there are plenty more errors , sorry should proof.