From Tennessee

April 16th, 2014 at 11:07 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

dogwood blossom   redbud blossom  11 pm Weds.   I’m sitting in the Krystal in Oak Ridge, TN where they have an internet connection – (my mother does not) – ordered the 5 for 5$. My mother and wife went to sleep early, so here I sit. We left Grand Rapids and 22° this morning.  Bought gas in Indiana at $3.52…it was breezy and cold while I was pumpin’ the gas…in the 30s.  It was 47 by the time we hit Cincinnati and a 25-minute traffic jam for a relatively minor fender bender.  The lanes are pretty close together and when you’ve got semis on either side of you, you have to pay attention.  Mid 50s when we got to Oak Ridge.  We saw snow on the north side of hills all the way to Fort Wayne…first blossoms I saw were on the south side of Dayton.  I think it’s the ornamental Bradford Pears that are blooming in urban areas of N. Kentucky down to Lexington – very nice.  First hyacinth I saw was in Van Wert, Ohio.  We have these beautiful dogwoods and redbuds out in E. Tennessee, along with lots of flowers.  It’ll be 60s here tomorrow, maybe 70 on Friday and in the 70s for the weekend.  My 94-year old (95 in July) mother insisted on doing Easter dinner – traditional ham.  We’ll plead to help and she’ll eventually relent, but she loves having the family over.  My sister and her husband insisted on playing golf at least once.  They play 12-months of the year…40 deg. in January and they’ll go out once a week.  I played once last year and twice the year before that.  It wasn’t a pretty sight.  Gas is $3.45 in Oak Ridge…lots of stations here, very competitive.

Model data:  The evening run of the NAM (Caribou) as the following low/high temps. starting Thurs. AM:  29/62/39/53/28/62.

Posts may be a little more rare since I’m down here and want to concentrate on mom…what she needs done and what she wants to do.  I won’t be spending as much time watching weather (except for the spring weather and sunshine down here).  My best to all our blog readers and commentors.

24 Responses to “From Tennessee”

1. Michelle Steffen says:

Hi Dad, I sent Grandma a package. I bought it for her when I was in France. I hope it comes while you’re down there. – Daughter #3.

2. Fred G says:

Bill, I hope you enjoy Easter with you mom and family. Looks like we’ll have nice weather conditions too, a nice change from the storms last weekend. Now if we can just have a few weeks with temps at or above average, we’ll be ready for summer! Safe travels -

3. Have a wonderful time Bill. Time with family is always the best :)

Love the mountains of TN. Enjoy your trip Bill. Get a round or 2 in if possible.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

My two grandsons are about 2 miles from DollyWood. Nothing beats mountain air. They see more bears than deer.

5. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Bill, Happy Easter to you &wife and to your mother. I bet it’s the best Easter dinner in the world. Weather kind of boring. They are say next week warmer temperatures and maybe some severe storms. I have two grandsons living in the Great Smoky Mountains. Enjoy your stay and have a safe trip back home.

6. TomKap (Michigan & Fuller - GR) says:

Nothing to talk about here, anyway, Bill. Quiet until further notice.
    That’s the way I like it.

7. ~Sherry~ (Comstock Park) says:

Enjoy your time with your family Bill!!

8. Jeff (Portland) says:

Have a great time Bill !

9. Dan (Byron Center) says:

I hope you have a great time with your family Bill! I also hope your Mom is doing ok! Family is most important! We will carry on in your absence. There are several blog posters that are quite knowledgeable! Looks like mid 60s on the way.

10. Dan (Byron Center) says:

Oh and Lets Go Red Wings on Friday night.! They have a tough match up with Boston. The Red Wings can beat them and pull off an upset in this series!

11. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

GO RED WINGS.

12. kevin. w says:

Everyone have a nice Easter and enjoy the friends and family we all have. Spring is here I do believe and things will start greening up and budding out. :)

13. Anna says:

From Anna in grant enjoy your time with her bill…

14. Keli Burfield says:

Happy Easter, Bill! to you and your family. Not only are you a great weatherman, but I appreciate how you put family first and spend so much time with them. You never regret spending time with you Mom and family!

15. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Hey Bill, enjoy your visit in TN. Its a great state. Things are cheaper there and roads are much better than here.Is your mother in good enough shape to go to the Lost Sea ? Pretty neat place,caves and so on, there are rooms down there where the soilders from the Civil War hide down there during the war. I found it interesting, you get to the bottom and there is a lake that has cyrstal clear water. you get in a row boat and go out on the lake and there is a ton of trout swimming around, Just a suggestion.

Enjoy your stay, im from Kingston TN

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Your Lost Sea adventure begins with a guided tour of the caverns. This involves a ¾ mile round-trip walk on wide sloping pathways. While touring the caverns and underground lake our guides will tell of the cavern’s exciting and colorful history. They will also explain the fascinating geological development of the immense cavern rooms and rare formations. At the bottom of the cave you will board a glass-bottom boat for an exciting trip on the Lost Sea, America’s Largest underground lake.

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

The Lost Sea is located in Sweetwater on Hwy. 68, just seven miles off of I-75, exit #60.

16. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I want to wish everyone a Blessed and Happy Easter. Spring is here, we may have some chilly mornings, but we are getting closer to summer.

Have a wonderful time with your family, Bill!! (Your Mom is simply amazing!!)

18. Have a good trip Bill! The State of Tennessee is beautiful!

19. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

My retirement dream job, have roadside stand selling fireworks, boiled peanuts, etc. down in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. Wear my bibs, straw hat and have my brown jug next to me(sweet tea)and watch the world go by. Can’t afford retirement, but I can have fun. I use to stop at those roadside stands, you could find some cool stuff.

20. Melinda says:

My 90 year old father-in-law lives in Crossville, TN – he has said that the weather has been lovely; your pictures sure show that! Maybe you can bring some of the sunshine and blooming flowers back with you! Have a wonderful time, and blessed Easter.

21. Jill C. says:

Dogwoods and ornamental pear trees in bloom. Ah, must be nice! Have a blessed Easter with the family, Bill. :)