Happy Easter Weekend

April 19th, 2014 at 2:15 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

lake michigan ice holland gary brink 4 11 14Lake Michigan ice Grand Haven 4 18 14 Julie Ackerman Link The first picture is from Gary Brink and it was taken one week ago on 4 11 – lots of ice at Holland.  The second picture from Julie Ackerman Link shows the ice at Grand Haven (I believe this was Friday).  Click on the pictures to enlarge.  That’s a lot of ice for mid-April.  Looks like a pretty good weekend – up to 70° on Sunday.  April 1-18 average 0.9° cooler than average in G.R.  Not a lot of severe weather in the U.S. with just 8 wind reports on Friday.  The models are hinting at some severe weather toward the middle-end of next week, but more likely in the Plains than here.   Here’s Easter extremes for G.R., MKG, and LAN.  Most rivers are slowly receeding.  Here’s current levels.  The Muskegon River is falling at Evart and at the Croton Dam.   Here’s a clear close-up MODIS satellite picture (from NOAA Coastwatch) of the ice on Lake SuperiorSome rain and a little freezing rain today in the U.P.   They’ve had some significant snow in the U.P. this month:  “For the period 1-17 April, 2014 is tied for #4  w/29.0″ of snowfall at MQT. 1st place goes to 2007 w/55.2″ – from MQT NWS.   In Negaunee Township, the greatest snowfall to occur after April 17th is 22.4 inches recorded on May 9-10, 1990.  The record that has been held since 1970 for the most consecutive days below 60° at Gaylord has been broken. In 1970 there was a stretch of 186 days that ended on April 14th that never reached 60°.  Today, April 18th, 2014 will be 187 days and still counting!    The latest monthly outlook from the Climate Prediction Center for May gives Michigan higher probabilities for a cool month.  Some heavy rain (+5″) in parts of S. AL, NW FL7.2 Magnitude e-quake in Mexico and a 6.9 magnitude earthquake was reported 62km (38 miles) SW of Panguna, Papua New Guinea.    Nice sunset in NYC.   CFS model predicts cool weather for the Great Lakes for the end of April with a decent chance of a (hopefully) light freeze – fortunately, vegetation no where near as far along as back in 2012.

Hail Storm in Texashail on I-10 in Texasbright fireball lights up the sky in Murmansk, Russia.

171 Responses to “Happy Easter Weekend”

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Hey does anyone know when the NWS starts issuing frost and freeze warnings and advisories? It seems like it would be fairly soon. One is issued in New York tonight actually. I had no idea they grew crops there, but I guess their season has begun!

OK – you get an A+ for meteorology, but need to brush up on geography ;-) New York has more than a big city and some mountains….LOL!

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Hana I meant the city lol

2. Jesse (Zeeland) says:

They start issuing them after the date of the average last freeze date. Usually they collaborate with ag weather centers/ extension services as to when to begin if there are a certain number of GDD accumulated.

1. Barb says:

What is GDD? Also, for our area, that would be early to mid-May.

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Oh okay, thanks.

Nothing like playing 2 hours of hockey then going for a 20 mile bike ride with family… I love this state. Awesome day. Happy Easter everyone.

3. Happy Easter everyone! I hope you all enjoyed the gorgeous day we had. Believe it or not, I actually got sunburned today!!! It’s a little sore, but I am definitely not complaining ;)

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I noticed the sun today as well , which for me was a bit surprising as I always tan very easily , but being that we haven’t seen the sun since last year sometime I guess one becomes a bit more susceptible to these types of things. Lol

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

* Happy Easter to you as well.

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

LOL good for you. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

4. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I think this is one of the smallest slight risk areas I have ever seen , although it’s kinda cool if you were the one city with your very own risk area.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Whoa that’s really cool. I don’t see how that’s possible though.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

That’s like when the power goes out in a big area and when it comes on only like 10 are still out. lol

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Here is part of the explanation for the risk area:

A COUPLE OF SUPERCELLS ALONG THE RED RIVER IN SW OK/NW TX WILL POSE
        THE GREATEST RISK FOR LARGE HAIL AND SEVERE WIND INTO LATE EVENING.
        THIS ACTIVITY APPEARS TO BE FED BY A NARROW WEDGE OF MODESTLY
        BUOYANT AIR MASS REMAINING OVER THE LOW ROLLING PLAINS OF NW TX.

5. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I despise the weather channel but here is the latest snow cover map.

6. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I wonder when Bill is returning to west Michigan. He can take his time coming back, no severe storms, anytime soon.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I think he said Tuesday night

7. Resourceful Nana says:

What’s the deal? My local conditions on wunderground said the humidity was 26% today (and temp of 78). That sounds like the desert, not our water wonderland! Not complaining–it felt great today-had Easter dinner outdoors, but isn’t it unusual for such a low humidity this time of year? And even though I’m seeing lots of green, I also know the topsoil that is exposed is quite dry in my area and Portage Lake has gone down several inches from the high point a couple of weeks ago.
    Yawn–won’t see replies, if any, till morning.

1. Cort S. says:

Dry air is pretty common in the early spring unless we have a direct feed from the Gulf of Mexico. Plants in the Midwest have not greened up yet, so evapotranspiration is not happening (water evaporating out of the leaves). Evaporation from irrigation across the Midwest isn’t happening either. Dry polar air masses are also still nearby, and layers of that dry air can get mixed into warmer air masses.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hey Cort – so how’s everything in the SLC ? Those were some really nice pics you captured the other day around Pocatello and I also enjoyed reading about the tornadoes that rolled through this area years ago , talk about the perfect storm for this area!

1. Cort S. says:

Hey Darren. Felt my first earthquake here (or anywhere for that matter) just yesterday. Just a little door rattling and floor bouncing is all. Thought it was wind hitting the house.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

It’s an odd feeling that’s for sure and it’s never something you get used too either , except you figure out what’s occurring a bit faster when you have experienced them throughout your life growing up. Your right the smaller shakes do feel like strong wind except with the wind things in your house do not continue to sway back and forth such as a ceiling light after a small roller. The bigger ones however make themselves known as to what they are , at times very abrupt and even quite loud , other times they are slow and more of a rolling sensation. The 6.9 however I felt when living in Northern Cali ( 25 miles outside S.F ) was in a league of its own , that’s for sure , took at my 55gal saltwater fish tank as well. That’s cool you have one under your belt now.

8. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Maybe we are seeing these outlooks because many of us have been rooting for blue ( U of M ) and some for green ( MSU ) but these maps just have to stop already! Jeez.. I’m okay with the green but could we add some orange to our area at least plz. Lol
    CPC: 6-10 day