10 days from May and look at the ice on Lake Superior

April 21st, 2014 at 12:20 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

lake superior ice 4 20 14  Ice Lake Superior 4 19 14 Click on the images (from the Marquette NWS facebook page) to enlarge.  Look at the ice on Lake Superior, 10 days from May – here’s the MQT NWS estimate of last ice:  “the amount of ice is nearing records for the latest widespread ice cover this late into spring over the northern portions of the lake… mid-May is a good estimate for much of the lake. However, some of the shoreline locations where the ice typically holds on longest could push into late-May.”  The picture on the right is Coast Guard Cutter Alder assisting the Mesabi Miner out of Marquette Saturday (April 19th).  Snow depth Sunday evening:  Sault Ste. Marie 9″, Marquette 13″, Mohawk 28″.      The latest analysis by NOAA/Coastwatch showed a Great Lakes ice cover of 36%.   The 4/19-20 ice percentage shows  18% ice cover on Lake MichiganLake Superior still shows a 63% ice cover, Lake Huron is at 30%, Lake Erie (the southernmost Great Lake) is at 12.0% ice cover and Lake Ontario is has a 2% ice cover.

147 Responses to “10 days from May and look at the ice on Lake Superior”

1. Boy was today a nice day! Got a lot done outside today. My high for the day was 78 (So close to 80!) Now it looks like we cool off after this but nothing drastically chilly.

One thing I hope is that we don’t have any more of these brutal winters like we had this year. If thats the case, I will be searching for a job in a southern state because there’s no way I would deal with anymore winters like we had this year. It was great in the beginning, but it just dragged on to long. The cold was also a pain to deal with, or the “Artic Blasts” as they called it. Lets hope for some more mild winters now. I will move to the Yukon and Northwest Territories if I want -40 degree windchills lol!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I know how you feel.

Kyle, in all fairness, I don’t remember a winter this relentless and bitterly cold in all my 61 years of living in the Grand Rapids area. Usually we get a spell of cold and snow, but there’s a thaw or two thrown in? On the other hand, if you want different weather, you’re in a perfect spot to change climates with your college choice!

Many years ago, I had a wonderful young man who worked for me, and he too was fed up with cold weather. Decided to attend the university of Miami (FL). 2 days after he arrived in Miami, Hurricane Andrew hit!!!!! Now he lives in New York, he decided the cold wasn’t so awful after all!

1. Haha what a pleasant greeting! nothing like Florida saying hello than with a big hurricane! And yes, that is what is great. I am still young so I can make those decisions

3. Brian from Atlanta (from Ludington) says:

Greetings Kyle, in response to you leaving for a southern state because of the weather, I have a few things to fill you in on. I was born and raised in Ludington, attended college and CMU (one of the coldest places on the planet in my opinion) and then moved to Atlanta, GA where I have been for 17 winters and summers. This winter was no picnic down here either. Granted, it only takes an inch of snow to bring a metro area of 5 million to a standstill. But, the city is built on hills and all the roads all twist and turn up and down those hills. There isn’t a flat plot of land anywhere I know of. We have had 6 memorable winter storms here, two in 2000, two in 2011 and two in 2014. Each of those storms brought freezing rain, sleet and 2-4″ of snow. Well down here where we are very much lacking equipment to clear it, it sticks until it thaws. Freeways and surface streets are in gridlock and at times pubic transportation, even the trains, sit idle for up to a week. It’s a real pain. I too was very ready for this winter to be long gone down here.

On the flip side, I spend about 30-60 days a year wishing I was back up near the shores of Lake Michigan. Our average high in summer in Atlanta is 90 and we have spent weeks above 100. It takes until midnight to drop much below 90 and 6am before we fall below 80. All with dew points in the mid 70s. It is no fun. I know Michigan has it’s heat waves, I was there for the early July 2012 heat. But it only lasts a few days and then there is relief on the way. Down here, once it gets that hot, it stays that hot… sometimes for months.

I love a variety of weather living in a region that offers four distinct seasons. However, Michigan has much more to offer weather wise, especially in the warm and cold seasons. It is much easier to deal with extremes up there than down here. Man, now I can’t wait to get back up there for July 4th.

Cheers,

Brian from Atlanta (from Ludington)

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Good night everyone had a busy day, tomorrow even more busy.

1. Jacob G. says:

Good luck tomorrow Larry!

Keeping Larry in good thoughts!

3. Jacob G. says:

The latest Euro weeklies are in and continue looking cool for the next 4 weeks combined with MJO phases of 1,2 and 3 which are all cool phases for May. Still a snow threat next week somewhere in the Midwest with daily temps in the 40′s and overnight lows in the 20′s. Could set back any planting for farmers into later half of the month of May. Should slow down the ice melt some what on the Superior and the Canada glaciers. I am seeing this on the control run and pretty remarkable agreement on the ensembles as well. Confidence is higher than normal based on the latest runs.