Friday PM Clearing

April 24th, 2014 at 5:13 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  The rain has now shifted east of I-96.  You can see what’s left on the White Lake (Detroit) radarThe clearing line will work it’s way from west to east across the area during the midday/afternoon.  Rainfall totals:  Kalamazoo – 0.34″, Grand Rapids – 0.19″, Battle Creek – 0.18″, Muskegon 0.15″.  We’ll be mostly clear to partly cloudy tonight, partly sunny and fairly pleasant tomorrow.  Sunday will be dry for most of us, with a 30% chance of a PM light shower southwest of G.R.  Then a showery, breezy and cool period from Monday PM through Thursday.  During that time we could see an inch of total rainfall.  Rivers will rise, but stay below bankfull.  The last River Advisory for the Muskegon River at Evart will likely be cancelled sometime tonight or tomorrow.  The overall pattern for early May looks cool.   The continental U.S. had the coldest January-March since 1985 and the coldest March since 2002.  New snow:  2″ Marquette and Newberry, 6.3″ Duluth Heights MN.   Snow on the ground Friday AM:  26″ south of Grand Marais, 22″ Mohawk, 16″ south of Munising, 12″ in the woods at Newberry, 11″ Michigamme, 3″ Marquette Airport, 1″ Iron Mt. – S. Ste. Marie reports only a trace of snow on the ground – the first time they have had less than 1″ of snow on the ground since November.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where they are pushing toward 3 feet of snow on the ground. Check out the cold temps. on the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s the morning run of the NAM forecast snow amounts. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. We continue to watch for ice jams on Michigan rivers. Here’s Closings.

83 Responses to “Friday PM Clearing”

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I wonder if the severe storms/tornadoes will develop in Oklahoma area this weekend? I am sure one day soon, west Michigan will be in the slight risk of severe storms. I could do one season without any severe storms. After last December’s ice storm, in no mood to loose power, etc. Someone said on this blog, with a delay of severe storms until June/July, the storms can be more damaging. I hope the Tigers have a good summer, I want to see them in the World Series in October.

2. Dan (Byron Center) says:

Warm up to stay around? Nope. I hope the Red Wings can get a win to even the series! Lets Go Red Wings!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Boston is a big physical team. Wings need to take advantage of every opportunity they get.

Well this is not good news looks like a low pressure sets up shop over the great lks starting Monday-Saturday giving us above normal rainfall and below normal temps!! April will go down as are 6th below normal month in a row!! If only we could turn of the furnace and have a normal Spring!!! From drinking more sprites and feeling cold tonight ….INDYY!!!

4. By the sounds of it the Plains could get a few large tornadoes on Sunday. Saturday there could be too but more smaller tornadoes. Regardless lots of Supercells will be rotating. If there’s not a tornados in a certain storm there will be monster hail. 2″ in diameter or greater

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Are you heading to the Great Plains? What kind of weather equipment do you take with you? Sorry for all the questions, if you go, hope you update us. I am sure other storm chasers are getting ready. Looks like a fun weekend for storm chasing.

1. Sorry for the delayed response, I am at school right now. I will have multiple radars and computers with me when I go. There will be plenty of pictures taken and ill be sure to share them on the blog at night after we are done chasing. I will even stay in close contact during the chase but it won’t be as often. Any support from you guys on what your seeing on radar as well will be a big help.

1. Cort S. says:

Yes, Saturday looks like it might have problems with dry low-level air and delayed upper-level forcing. The dry air may reduce the tornado threat but you could see some high-based supercells that are closer to the LP side of the spectrum, with very large hail. Sunday looks tricky too for different reasons. But it’s one of the better setups so far this year. Good luck out there. I won’t be around very much on Saturday to provide radar guidance, sorry. Gonna be a busy day in Utah from that same upper-level system.

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I will be checking out the radar Sat/Sun, and be on this blog when the storms start to develop. Good luck/be safe.

5. Travis (Oakland County) says:

WXYZ is now starting to show the warm up that WeatherTrends has been forecasting. 65, 65, 60, 70 starting May 4th. Even Accuweather now has 73 degrees May 6th.

That severe outbreak for the plains Saturday-Monday is starting to look very impressive. Probably the biggest of 2014 so far.

Go Wings!

The warm up to still below normal. Average highs are 66-68° in the time period. It will feel nice though.

GO WINGS!!!!

And for April it now looks like only Detroit +0.2 and Fling at +1.1° may be the only reporting stations that are above average. With what looks like a cool end of the month there is still a chance that all Michigan stations will end April below average.

The NWS has us barely breaking into the 50′s the last four days of the month.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

It will be close.

Yesterday was supposedly a chilly day and yet it was only -3 below average. Barely made a dent in the monthly averages.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

According to US Climate Data, the average high in Flint is 64-66 for the time period of May 4th-May 8th

WXYZ isn’t a flint station.

For GR Accuweather still has no 70° days for the whole month of May and has backed off on the first few days of June as well! They now have two 70° days for Detroit and Flint. It will be fun to just see how that plays out.

Happy Thursday. While it now appears that we should not get much if any snow over the next week it still looks to be cool/cold for the foreseeable future. I know its Accu-less and they are about as accurate as throwing a dart but none the less they still show no 70° days in May and have cut back on the few they did have in the first week of May. In a more realistic model ECMWF long range guess show a cool first week of May, could be more near average the second week and back to cool and wet the 3rd week. So we shall see how that plays out. Today it’s a cloudy and for this year a some what mild 45° this morning.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I will gladly take the bet that we will see 70′s in May – just as I did in April.

You brought up many times about April possibly not hitting 70, and GR ended up being in the 70′s for several days and even almost 80. And even warmer over here in SE Mich.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

I think I hit 70 twice so far this April.

How many days do you think it will hit 70 in May at the Flint climate station? Had to be specific since “I” is wherever is convenient.

2. kevin.w says:

I’m thinking what sometimes happens in these cool wet springs we can sometimes flip right into summer right at the end of May/early June. I’m betting this is the case based on the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillations. A big rex block develops and looks to last at least into middle of May or beyond.

1. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

Kevin, I suspect that you will be correct.

Weather facts below normal temps !!! U think it’s cold this week wait till next week even colder and wetter !!! Very nice below normal Spring we have going!! INDYY!!

8. bluegill says:

As the 70 degree debate goes on downstate, we’d just like to get out of the 40′s up north. The finger nails of the LP is forecast to have accumulating snow this weekend. Interesting Great Lakes ice comparison yearly perspective – pic.twitter.com/X3OJkrJ6Os from the Weather Channel.

The amount of ice at this time of year is amazing. Marquette -3.9° and Sault Ste Marie -5.3° for April… sorry you can keep it :)

Getting some light drizzle right now – as a person who’s allergic to tree pollen, this is a lovely day because the rain knocks down the pollen levels…LOL!

Nice weather April 24th and the furnace is running!! Nice up hill thoughts!! INDYY!!!

Only slightly off topic since we cheer on the Tigers and Wings often. Here is an awesome map of the US and who cheers for what baseball team.

1. Scott E (Jamestown) says:

Interesting map thanks for sharing. White Sox have no following, LOL!

12. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Back from the Dr.blood test/xrays looks good. I guess, I will be around for awhile longer. Couple drops of rain on the way home. Not too warm today. Beef liver/onions for supper tonight, a good night for it. This weekend, I want to grill out and drink some sweet tea.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Great news Larry , and don’t ever pick up them smokes again !

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Cross my heart!

That’s always great news to receive!!!

13. John says:

We live 10 miles northwest of Kalamazoo, there is still a small patch of snow along side the road. Last Saturday it was about 18″ deep. There is about a shovelful left now.

14. Pog says:

Cool DF….Larry, come on Liver…go outside and grill a steak. My mom used to make liver and onions, brusell(?) sprouts or canned spinach with liver….yuck…but, my dad loves liver….LOL, to each their own. Good to hear you can cross a STRONG heart!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

LOL

15. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

After multiple systems move through the central plains and south- east / eastern states there will be quite a bit of liquid left behind in its wake.

WPC : 5 day QPF

WPC : 7 day QPF

16. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

What started as a quest to further understand the term ” speed max ” , morphed into further reading about our Jet Streams , which then lead me too this cool peace of information , below. ( not to mention other terms ; geostrophic , hydrostatic , etc ) :)

Scientists are investigating ways to harness the wind energy within the jet stream. According to one estimate, of the potential wind energy in the jet stream, only 1 percent would be needed to meet the world’s current energy needs. The required technology would reportedly take 10–20 years to develop.[34] There are two major scientific articles about jet stream power. Archer & Caldeira[35] claim that the jet streams can generate the total power of 1700 TW, and that the climatic impact will be negligible. Miller, Gans, & Kleidon[36] claim that the jet streams can generate the total power of only 7.5 TW, and that the climatic impact will be catastrophic.

1. Cort S. says:

We’re gonna need a very long kite string.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Lol…very true! Let’s hope they stick to the polar jets and leave the less efficient sub-tropical jets for another day as this would just increase the length of the necessary string.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Really cool stuff to read about , since it is a window into our weather in which we forecast. When you read about things on this scale it becomes more apparent to why our weather can be so unpredictable and complex. My head still hurts from reading into all the different terminology in which I had to look up along the way. Jeez !!

1. Cort S. says:

Upper-level jet stream dynamics are definitely weird and unintuitive. Luckily there are a few courses you can take on the MetEd site.

17. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Looks like the severe weather is firing up. I am sure we will have our share of severe storms later on in May or June.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yup , some storms are beginning to take place to our far south , if only they would be in our neck of the woods. In time they will, but I am growing inpatient . Lol. ( also an outside chance for a few spin -ups 5% )
      Wind outlook :
      Thunderstorm outlook :

18. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

AccuWeather is really talking up a storm, about the tornado outbreaks. Let’s pray these tornadoes stay away from populated areas. Sounds like there could be EF5 tornadoes.

1. Cort S. says:

Monday might be the scariest day.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

WOW

Oh my…. and Kyle wants to chase them?? Keeping that young man in my prayers!

19. Grrr this uncertainty for tornadoes is still making me Leary. I do not want to get all the way out there to be disappointed and not see some big storms. I know there will be tornadoes but not a big outbreak. I had my mind made up earlier but now I have second thoughts…Lots of thinking to.

1. Cort S. says:

Do you only get one chance this spring or will you be able to go back a second time? If you only get one chance, this one might not be the best setup.

1. The only issue is anything after May 20 to May 29 I likely would not be able to go due to graduation. But I know once you get after May 29 the season begins to wind down

Even with the season being pushed back by the cold??

20. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Must be a grass fire north of Hastings, fire truck just went by. We need some rain.

Allegan was doing some controlled burns to cut back on invasive species like “phragmites”

1. on the Grand says:

Last fall they sprayed up and down the grand river banks for phragmites. It looks dead for now. That stuff is real scary. It is thick and tall and grows like crazy. All the little channels were disappearing with the over growth.

21. Travis Ulberg (West of Martin, Allegan County) says:

It’s only made it up to 57° so far today here, and today was suppose to be the warmest day out of the next week or so. Today I saw a bunch of snow piles in the Allegan Forrest, and I also saw 2 dandelions at Little John County Park. I am going down to Gas City, Indiana tomorrow evening, and it is suppose to be near 70° down there. It’s looking like we will have to bring our snowmobile jackets to Berlin Raceway on Saturday. I’m ready for a good stretch of 70′s like last Sunday and Monday.

NWS GR says we’ll struggle to get above 50 for most of next week. It’s spring, right?

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

We might be having a mini ice age.

2. Cort S. says:

You guys better kick out this cut-off low before I drive back to the Midwest. This is your second warning. ;)

” Kick Out”….. CUE : MC5-KICK OUT THE JAMS – YouTube
        ► 3:23► 3:23
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo35O1AJOfg. He,he…..stay CuEDD….. ;-)

1. Ned S. (East of Holland) says:

Kick out the Jams “Brothers and Sisters.” I saw the live a couple of times around 1970. An original punk band; they were wild and disgusting, but I loved the concerts.

23. Cort S. says:

Reminder: If you want to hang out with other weather weenies and talk about weather, go to the back room of Schuler Books and Music on 28th St, Monday at 7 pm. All are welcome. More info: https://sites.google.com/a/skywatch.org/swmi/Presentations

24. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

This blog is DEAD tonight. I know the weather boring.

Yeah, and it’s not even that great of an evening out either.

25. John (Norton Shores) says:

Confirmed damaging tornado on the ground right now, just to the east of Tchula Mississippi.

Bring on the “mini ice age”!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Give me global warming, I don’t like cold weather this time of the year.LOL

COLD! Who knew? It looks like April will go down as the 6th month in a row with below average temperatures! Except in Flint! Travis will say it was another above average month! Delusion at its worst! What a joke!

My vehicle is apparently on video in Chicago on the 11th turning right at a red light, which I guess is illegal. I received a notice in the mail today from a “red light violation notice”, saying I have to pay a $100 fine for this. This is the funniest thing I have heard today. Good luck collecting that from me guys.

Chicago is desperate for money. If front of my daughter’s condo, it’s $84 a day to park on the street. The fines are enormous because they want to grab as much as they can from visiting “foreigners”. The crime rate is horrible, you don’t want to wander into a bad neighborhood.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Chicago it’s self is very expensive, the food, the goods, everything is really expensive in Chicago. I guess that’s the way in every tourist city but Chicago has to be one of the worst.

My brother got a reckless driving ticket in Ohio in the early 90s. He was ordered to appear but never did. About 2004 or so, he went to get a new driver’s license at the Secretary of State, but they wouldn’t allow him to because he had a bench warrant in Ohio from his failure to appear a decade earlier. He had to contact the State of Ohio and pay a $500 fine (they dropped the warrant after payment) before he could get a new driver’s license in Michigan. After 9/11 and formation of Homeland Security, all states’ law enforcement agencies and their records were combined into one, nationwide database. Can’t get away with anything anymore.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

I have the option to first contest it, which I will do as of now.

Wow, Bummer Brian….CUE : ” Sic EM PIGS” by Canned Heat. !!! ;-) . Stay Cued…

29. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I enjoy watching Chicago Fire/Police weekly TV show. BILL, does your daughter in Chicago, ever see the making of these TV shows. IMO Chicago looks dirty and run down. New York City use to look dirty, until they made major investments and improvements. I been to Chicago a few times, been in some bad areas.

Yes, she’s seen several movies being filmed in Chicago and I’ve seen a couple myself. I have never been in a movie, thought I have been asked to be in a movie (didn’t have the time) and I did film a commercial at Universal in Hollywood once. My sister has been in a couple of movies as an extra. I did the weather on Good Morning America once…that was probably my biggest audience. John Coleman awarded me a “Golden Snow Shovel” on G.M.A. once. I was in the Lip Dub and that’s got something like 5.3 million views on YouTube and probably 5 times that many saw it on television (I had my pic. on the home page of Yahoo for about 6 hours). I was also quoted a couple times in the Wall St. Journal (and it had nothing to do with weather).

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Extra work can be really fun , if you don’t take it seriously. ( unless your an aspiring actor ). I however worked for back ground San Diego while going to college and was on a bunch of dumb shows, like silk stockings , Renegade , Military show called Pensacola ( staring James Brolin ) which am sure no one has heard of , but I was his stand- in for 8 months. Quite funny job actually as I got payed a minimum of 120 – 220 a day to have them focus the camera on me ( as I was a similar hight ) before they would shoot then scenes that he would be in to save time and then I would go back and sit in his chair while they shot the scene . If you had a speaking roll which I had a few , then you automatically mad 500 for the day , it was the best job to have while in school as I didn’t have any desire to be an actor. The scenery on the set of Pensacola was definitely a plus as a young man going to college , and many of the scenes were shot in the San Diego Mission Bay Area as the show was meant to look like you were in Florida. The best part about being an extra is you get payed weather they use you or not. When life was simple . Lol

1. Cort S. says:

Good ol’ SAG.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yup , got to love the union , you nailed it Cort. If only it were that easy today.