Snow in MN and Upper Michigan

April 26th, 2014 at 2:50 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

lutsen mountain   This is what Lutsen Mountains Ski Area looked like on Friday – better yet, check out the picture on their website.  That’s a foot of new snow on April 25th!  They’ve announced that they’ll be open into May for the first time ever!  ESE of Gunflint Lake, they reported 13.5″ of new snow.   9.5″ fell at Silver Bay and they had 5″ of new snow at Copper Harbor MI.  “Some of the customers that came in this morning live a mile and a half to two miles up Caribou and they were saying a lot of them had 15 to 18 inches of snow” said Owner of Clearview General Store in Lutsen, Gail Thompson.”   The snow pushed the season snowfall in Duluth past last winter’s total into 3rd place all time with 130.2″.   In Michigan, the most snow on the ground Friday was 26″ south of Grand Marais.  They had 1.3″ of new snow.  Mohawk added 2″ bringing their snow cover to 22″.  South of Munising they have 16″ on the ground.  Look at the snow at Calumet!   On the other hand…S. Ste. Marie had just a trace of snow on the ground.  That ended a stretch of over 5 months with continuous snow cover of 1″ or more (Nov. 23 thru Apr. 24).  The least amount of snow on the ground in March in S. Ste. Marie was 25″.    Here’s a look at Tahquamenon Falls April 9th and April 23rd.

116 Responses to “Snow in MN and Upper Michigan”

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

YEA, all the Snow is in the UP now.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Sooo I wanted to sleep in but it didn’t work….. Okay the severe outlooks have grown quite a bit and the moderate area is much larger for tomorrow and I think there is an outside chance we might see that upgraded to a ” high risk ” level if things continue to come together. This could very easily become a PDO or PDS ( which ever terminology you prefer ) very quickly the way this is shaping up. I hate to say this but it’s not a question of if but rather how many dozen tornadoes will occur at this point , as it’s to soon to call for an outbreak per-say or even a high risk cat. for sure , but the next 2-3 days are going to be eventful. I pray that people take all necessary precautions.

1. michael g (SE GR) says:

Reed Timmer is saying this will be the largest tornado outbreak in quite a while over the next three days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a high risk is issued – only because they’ve been talking about this event for so many days.

3. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am sure there will be one or more EF5 tornadoes this weekend and into next week. I still believe we could see west Michigan in the slight risk of severe storms next week. We might start getting severe storms sooner than June/July. I will be watching the storm developments this afternoon. I wonder if any of our storm chasers will be in the Oklahoma area today?

4. Cort S. says:

Summary of the next 4 days of severe weather from SPC:

What’s pretty upsetting is that so many people who get hit on Monday will face more severe weather on Tuesday.

Also of note, April 25-28 is the 3-year anniversary of the 2011 super tornado outbreak, with the biggest day occurring on April 27:

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Is it too early for any watches yet???

3. shelbyville says:

Pretty impressive system, this is the simulated radar for Tuesday.

WOW, some good images.

Clear here with a temp of 39° Not sure how long this link will be up but this says it all about the next few days in Northern Lower Michigan!

And just think of how the people who live in the UP must think about this spring so far? It no wonder so few people live up there (along with a lack of good paying jobs)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I think Rocky would love living in the U.P., because he loves snow.

+100 GAZILLION!

Now for our area we have a chance of seeing our first good chance of widespread thunderstorms next week and then it looks cold for the start of May. So while the mild temps and rain coming will really green things up it could turn cold enough for wide spread killing frost next weekend

+1…I agree.

Lets review the facts! 6 months in a row with below normal temperatures! It must be the NEW NORMAL!!!!!!!

1. Cort S. says:

More likely a strong interseasonal anomaly that will eventually go away once large ocean oscillations change and their teleconnections no longer favor this upper-level pattern.

That is perfect Cort! The only problem is those events may not actually happen for years! We are heading into the “mini ice age”! I expect us to get hammered next winter with a ton of cold and snow! Imagine that!

1. Cort S. says:

For years? Some of those oscillations will operate on that wavelength, sure, but others will have shorter wavelengths. One big one coming up? A moderate-strength El Niño. Not saying it precludes another cold/snowy winter for Michigan, but the upper-level pattern across North America will probably look different. If two years of cold/snow are a mini ice age, then what are the previous two years of mild, snow-lacking winters?

The pending “mini ice age” will probably last at least 15 to 20 years! Get ready!

3. Cort S. says:

Woo! Now that’s the kind of forecast gumption I like to see!

LOL!! You heard it from Rocky first! stock up on long underwear NOW!!

5. Rodey (Rockford) says:

This coming from a person who calls Travis delusional. Seek help immediately and get back on your meds. Fantastic. I love it. Thanks for listening.

Great photos Bill! Just the facts! Skiing into May this year! Who knew?

1. matt says:

Warm weather will be soon who knew imagine that thanks for reading

8. kevin. w says:

I’m sure Rocky will love what I’m going to say here. What’s amazing to me by looking at the whole weather picture for the past 6 months is this. We develop a high pressure over the western states late in October that basically kept its stay through about the Middle of April. Now that has just about gone we develop a blocking pattern in the Atlantic (negative north atlantic oscillation) throw in a negative arctic oscillation and that spells cooler/colder sometimes rainy weather and you have pretty much the same thing we had the past 6 months minus it now falling as snow. If you read the NWS Grand Rapids long range discussion or for that matter even the Gaylord’s long range (please do very interesting) it spells out a not so very warm picture. Also if you look at most of the models its looking like the first few weeks of May are looking ugly and I really wouldn’t be surprised like last year we get a couple a cold days with some sleet/snow. BUT for the one’s looking for warmth or wanting to get in the farm fields is not looking to promising. We could be looking at a jump from this pattern right into summer in a matter of just a few days, but really I may just have to bury my head with this unbelievable pattern we’ve been. I also watch a meteorologist yesterday on CNN talking about this weather pattern the U.S. has been and the potential for an El Nino coming and said we may just flip this whole thing around toward fall where the west may just constant moisture and the north and east may get very little and be warmer from fall til late spring. Just my thoughts this morning OKAY. Have a nice day and find some sun. :)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

It will be interesting to see what the effects El Nino will have on west Michigan. With the already high cost of beef & other meats/farm goods, if the farmers have a big delay in planting, etc.we could see prices going higher. If we stay on the cool side this summer, maybe save some money by not using our A/C as much.LOL

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Kevin.w, do you think we will get any strong storms early next week?

1. kevin. w says:

It will depend on time of day and any heat we get, but there is a possibility. I think down south has a much greater chance and I really believe there will be one devasting tornado. We can have a very low tornado count but all is takes is one bad one to destroy a town.

Thanks

I remember in early May of 1996, my neighbor was installing new shingles on his roof, and he was wearing insulated Carhartt overalls with long underwear (OK – I didn’t SEE that part – just that he commented on how weird it was to be wearing long underwear in MAY!). So while it makes for a truly miserable “spring” (what spring??) – it’s not unheard-of.

9. Cort S. says:

This is the second time two consecutive Day 3 Moderates have been issued. But I think this fact speaks more about forecast confidence than about magnitude of impact. That said, this potential outbreak might be the worst in 3 years, but probably (hopefully) not worse than that.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Cool data sets , I like…. :)

This could be the year of no summer and next winter will be rocking baby! Get ready!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Your comment might send me into a deep depression. LOL

We’ll have summer – it’s just that water sports might require wetsuits :-) Golfing with gloves on BOTH hands. Fly fishing in neoprene waders….. it’s just a matter of being “prepared” :-)

3. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Hopefully we have a mild summer and a above average warm winter.

11. Cort S. says:

The latest HRRR model erupts storms along the dryline this evening, right before sunset. Not a good scenario for OKC. Click here

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Will be watching the radar late afternoon. I like watching storms develop.

12. Mike (Mattawan) says:

Wow, some areas down south are going to have a wild ride this weekend! I really hope everyone knows whats coming!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

My gut feeling, it’s going to be a deadly weekend and into next week. I hope, I’m wrong.

I’m scared you may be right :-(

13. Hunter 13 says:

Heading to Nashville, TN for a week long meeting on Monday morning. What is expected in that area regarding severe weather? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

What is your opinion on the latest weekend forecast of this severe weather outbreak?

1. Cort S. says:

Rough on Monday with the link Brian posted, and Tuesday as well: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

Hail, severe winds, and tornadoes possible for the region both days.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

What are you really seeing in the forecast this morning?

1. Cort S. says:

Small potential for high-impact severe weather this evening. Tomorrow in Arkansas looks scary… maybe a High Risk day. Monday and Tuesday also scary for Miss., Ala., and Tenn. It’s the core of their severe weather season right now. They’ve seen events this bad before, but it’ll still be a tense situation.

2. Hunter 13 says:

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate it.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

3-5 inches or more of rain. In a 3 day period.

14. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

The radar down in the Oklahoma looks so harmest at this time. It will all change in a few hours.

1. kevin. w says:

EHI values are through the roof very high dynamics coming into play and I’m looking at the data and believe were going to be looking at quite a few EF3′s and EF4′s today and Sunday.

15. Cort S. says:

Expected precip amounts through Thursday morning (this afternoon will update through Thursday evening):

1. kevin. w says:

Ya but look at just the 4-5 day totals so there’s going to be alot of instability aloft with the interaction of cold air above and milder air at the surface. I was just checking out some of the model output and now put the stacked low west/southwest of us and will allow for more thunderstorm to develop. Not really looking good for anyone that gets the big boomers. http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/95ep48iwbg_fill.gif

16. kevin. w says:

Cort can you access the balloon data down south and what does the upper air data say. The NWS down there has to be launching some weather balloons with these type of dynamics coming together. I’m thinking the thermal profile with this stacked low coming is almost like a powerhouse storm charging at as but a different type of atmospheric setup. We get any kind of good heating we could be looking at a potential severe event: maybe hail/gusty strong winds.

1. Cort S. says:

SPC site: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/

Plymouth State site: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/raob_conus.html

Expecting a lot of special soundings down south over the coming days.

I think severe potential in MI will be limited, but I haven’t looked too closely at it. There will be some modest instability, and maybe a good lobe of dynamic lifting swinging through, but kinematics don’t look too impressive, at least on the GFS.

Have to wait/see.

Just returned from nice long hike in the woods with my family. Wildflowers are just starting to bloom. Should be beautiful in another week. A little cool out, but the sun is warm. All things considered, it’s a pretty darned nice day. Get out anduring enjoy it, bloggers!

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

+2 hitting the bike trail in a few , then golf , then hiking , and after that driving up north to hit the slopes , all in one day!! Okay everything after the biking part might be a slight stretch of the truth. hehe. I’m not sure what came over me…. Lol

18. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

The forecast for rain keeps going up as we get further into next week , we could see some rivers claiming back up in the flood zones if this QPF verifies and I might add last time they were spot on.
    Day 5 : WPC total

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

* climbing ….jeez

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Wow, thats a lot of precip!

Finally was out at the sailing club getting it ready! Nice day out but the brisk wind was cold this morning.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I used to live on sail bay in San Diego , I miss seeing the sail boats from my window , relaxing to watch and quite entertaining as well when your watching the guys in the small cats , they often would flip over. I also miss sailing myself although I’m a beginner , it is very addicting and easy to see why people fall in love with it. My buddy grew up in Coronado( in the Kay’s )and is a very good sailor , he belonged to the San Diego Yacht Club and we had access to a 48 foot Oceanis Beneteau , ( pot belly ) awesome rig for sure. ( I think that was the name ). We also took out another Beneteau that was more of a racer and had all the controls right at the helm , so one could tac , jib / spin inker control , etc all with one person , I think that one was 44 ft if my memory serves correct. It was a blast for sure and I never thought I would enjoy it as I own a power boat but they are two complete different worlds , not sure which I like better , just different .

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

* we used to sail to Coronado Island , well motor to the island at night , as it’s all against the wind on the way there and we found it easier to leave at night and sail back with the wind , I really miss it , sounds like you enjoy it a lot DF.

Nice! I just sailed there for the first time in March. It was awesome. The first time I ever did kelp dodging.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yes , there are huge kelp beds , especially from San Diego and north towards la Jolla and they actually run all the way up towards L.A . ( of course there is kelp at Catalina as well ). That’s actually where I meant to say we would motor up to at night. Lol. Although we did sail out to the Coronado Islands as well. In my power boat I would get inside of the kelp patties , in-between that and the beach where the water was nice and calm . So much fun at sun set cruising at about 45 knots just outside of the breakers running along the shore-line with the sun dropping down.

20. Dikehopper (Fennville) says:

Examples of why honesty sometimes is and sometimes isn’t the best policy. http://www.powerlineblog.com/admin/ed-assets/2014/04/Robot-Joke-copy.jpg

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Lolololo …..that’s good!!

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

That was a good one..lol.

3. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

Good one Dikehopper – lol

4. Brian (Grandville) says:

Lol!!!

Bravo, funny stuff!

21. I know the set-up in Arkansas looks like a chasers dream, but quite frankely, I am glad I am sitting this one out. The terrain in Arkansas is not ideal at all for any chaser (Rolling hills, cliffs, and thick forests). I would not want to get caught in a tornado situation in an environment like that because you would never see what is coming. The northeast and northwest parts of the state has some farmland, but nothing ideal. This could turn out to be one of the bigger ones of the year that is for sure, but there will still be some in Oklahoma and Kansas next month. Hopefully those tornadoes stick to the forests and don’t hit any homes. If there are any tornadoes that do lots of damage I will be taking a trip to Arkansas later in May so I would be able to look at some of it. Wish storm chasers best of luck out there and not to get caught in a tornado not being able to see the tornado itself

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I hope everyone stays safe as well and I think you made a sound decision to sit this one out as there will be plenty more chances. With this being one of the first couple big events it’s going to be crawling with all different types of chasers and there will be a day when you can try and see some storms with a bit less over-all storm chaos. IMHO :)

I applaud your sensible way of thinking!! I remember Reed Timmer saying there were areas where he hated to chase, because the funnels just appeared out of nowhere; not to mention the extra danger when a tornado has ample ammunition by picking up trees and hurling them….

Just got off The Phone with Relation in CANADA …They Still Have TONS of Snow!! Stay CUEDDDD, and…Go Tigers & Red Wings….. ;-)

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

They have phones in Canada? ;)

Sure Do…See HERE ::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o. Lol….stay CueDDD

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

One ringy dingy…..

Hello Mr. Beetle…..

Lolololo ………..

Lake Superior ice is delaying Great Lakes shipping
    St. Cloud Times ‎- 4 minutes ago
    Ice breakers are escorting ship convoys across the lake, with 8 feet of ice still in spots.

24. John (Norton Shores) says:

NWS is now talking about strong to severe thunderstorms for our area Tuesday, something to keep an eye on.

.LONG TERM…(TUESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY)
    ISSUED AT 317 PM EDT SAT APR 26 2014

MODEL CONSISTENCY REMAINS GOOD THROUGH THE EXTENDED PERIOD. A
    STACKED LOW MOVES TOWARD THE GREAT LAKES MID WEEK AND PERSISTS
    OVER THE REGION INTO NEXT WEEKEND.

TUESDAY/TUESDAY NIGHT SHOULD SEE THE BEST CHANCE FOR THUNDERSTORMS…
    WHICH COULD BE STRONG TO SEVERE WITH FAVORABLE INSTABILITY AND A
    LOW LEVEL JET PUSHING INTO LOWER MI. THEREAFTER THE LOW WILL SIT
    OVER THE REGION WITH SHOWERY TYPE PCPN LINGERING. EVENTUALLY…
    INTO FRIDAY/SATURDAY THE UPPER LOW BEGINS TO FILL AND WEAKEN AND
    THE PCPN SHOULD BECOME LESS COMMONPLACE.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

THE END IS NEAR…strong to severe storms,WOW.

BRING IT…ARE U READY ??? Stay cueDD…. ;-)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

The storm or judgement… lol

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Judgement for some , just some storms for others…hehehe

BOTH….ssttaayy CUED…..

LOL!!!

1. matt says:

Warm weather will be here soon. Grilling and late night parties in the warm night. Imagine that who knew rock n roll is dead thanks for reading

Rock n Roll,,,,Lives in US ALL !! Cue,,,,,,MOJO NIXON ::::::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_hkIN38qnY. Happy SATURDAY..& Stay CUEDD…… Wawhooo. :-)

Hey fixxxer – get a life!

1. matt says:

Hey….warm weather will be here soon…hey rock n roll is dead….hey i love it bring it and hey thanks for reading

25. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

ABC spent sometime on the WorldNews about the weekend/next week severe storms. It doesn’t look good for a lot people. Sounds like Sunday will be worst than tonight. The concern is that this is a slow moving system.

26. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

NASCAR on FOX tonight! I love racing under the lights. Should be a good race, and no rain. GO DALE JR., make your daddy proud.

BRING IT ON…..& CUE :::: Jim Croce – Greatest Hits – Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy) – YouTube
      ► 2:45► 2:45
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yOpSPIsQeo. Hee,,,heeeee….. LET’S GO RACING!!!!! Stay CUEDDD…….BTW 78 degrees at RACE TIME…..

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hendrick motor sports looking good tonight! ( although bk has a strong car )

27. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Oklahoma radar is showing nothing. The calm before the storm.

28. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

It’s been a good race so far. GO DALE JR.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

A lot tire/car fires tonight, in Richmond. It’s been a good race. I can’t believe the tire damage.

Earlier, I was watching the race with my 4-yr old grandson who was yelling at Bowyer to “GET OUT OF THE CAR!!!!!”

Life is so much more fun/exciting/amazing when you can see it through the eyes of a 4 yr old kid!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I have a granddaughter who is 5 years old going on 13. We take care of her three days a week, never a dull moment. lol

When my 5 year old boy asks about something several days out, he says to me “is Thursday the day, the day, the day, the day, the day, the day after tomorrow”.
          Yes, its much more entertaining through their eyes.

29. Resourceful Nana says:

My husband is helping my parents drive home from Arizona-they left the Phoenix area this morning and drove through lots of snow from Flagstaff to Raton, NM, where they finally decided they had had enough and stopped for the day. Now I’m concerned that they will be dealing with severe thunderstorm weather as they continue their journey. Any suggestions on the best route to take to avoid the storms? They’ll take their time and don’t plan to get home till Tuesday (Three Rivers area).

Keep heading north to Denver, then take 76 to 80 east, and bring that all the way back toward Michigan. That should be the safest route, since they’re already headed to the northern route.

I agree with Brian – this route will skirt that whole area outlined by the SPC – it should be an easy drive, and beautiful with the mountains just to the west!

The “shortest and fastest” route (NE on US-44) will take them right into the middle of the danger zone.

I took the southern route to Las Vegas in 06, and ran into severe weather in April. I took the northern route home in May, and bypassed it to the north. There were still people skiing in Vail too.

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

The Great Plains is a area that will be very active for a few more days. The problem is that this system is a very slow mover. Some of our blog weather experts might be able to help map out a route home for them. This is a dangerous storm system. They will need to monitor the weather closely. I will say a prayer.

1. Resourceful Nana says:

Thank you, Brian & Larry. I will encourage them to go north–will there be snow in Denver with this system?

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

If they take their time, they will make it home safetly. I am glad your husband is helping them.

There shouldn’t be snow – they’ll be in the “lowlands” east of the Rockies. Flat, dry, easy to drive. If they want to avoid the traffic in Denver, they can take a tollway called I-470 in a big counterclockwise sweep to the east of Denver. The tolls are pricey – but it’s WAY better than the traffic in town.

3. Resourceful Nana says:

Oops, now that I’m looking at the map, I realize that they only made it to Gallup, but the same advice still applies. If they go north, they can stop and visit a granddaughter in Boulder. I wish they had left on Wednesday which was the original plan, and they would have gotten home in today’s beautiful sunshine. But then the doctor delayed taking out dad’s stitches until yesterday. I warned them about possible weather problems, but mom is determined to get home to green grass and spring flowers (and mainly, family).

4. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Keep us updated on their travel back to Michigan.

30. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Looks like storms are wanting to develop in the southern Great Plains.

31. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Good night sweet dreams. I seen no reports of severe tonight.